Time for a GM Change?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I do not want PC or JS to be gone. That said, was John Elway being "spoiled" firing John Fox? Nothing wrong with having high expectations and being critical of a team, especially if said team has enough talent to win a SB.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
giphy.gif

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I would hope that the owner...Mr. Allen... would issue an ultimatum with regards to the offensive line approach. Should that occur and JS ignore it... well then you talk about changing the GM.

two dog

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2s5sjrz2 said:
Wow. Are we a spoiled fanbase or what.

5th double digit win season in a row and I'm seeing the term "mediocrity" thrown around.

Some of you have absolutely no idea how hard it is to win in this league and stay near the top. Salary Caps, Lower draft status, FA defections, Paying a franchise QB. All stuff to make it even harder on winning teams.

Certainly NE is impervious to this due to their dark magic juju. But outside of one franchise, nobody stays on top year after year in this league.

So enjoy playoff seasons when they come, appreciate the leadership that is producing this kind of success and quit criticizing our most successful FO in franchise history. Are they perfect? No. But that doesn't mean you start ranting about blowing everything up. As history has shown, that's often a recipe for disaster.

Thank you. Spoken not like a bench warmer but like someone who knows what it is and what it takes.
Good post.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
two dog":93gnbn42 said:
Mad Dog":93gnbn42 said:
Wow. Are we a spoiled fanbase or what.

5th double digit win season in a row and I'm seeing the term "mediocrity" thrown around.

Some of you have absolutely no idea how hard it is to win in this league and stay near the top. Salary Caps, Lower draft status, FA defections, Paying a franchise QB. All stuff to make it even harder on winning teams.

Certainly NE is impervious to this due to their dark magic juju. But outside of one franchise, nobody stays on top year after year in this league.

So enjoy playoff seasons when they come, appreciate the leadership that is producing this kind of success and quit criticizing our most successful FO in franchise history. Are they perfect? No. But that doesn't mean you start ranting about blowing everything up. As history has shown, that's often a recipe for disaster.

Thank you. Spoken not like a bench warmer but like someone who knows what it is and what it takes.
Good post.
+3
Three Dog Night!

rlkats

Reaction score
To the original post.

Dump him. SF would love to have him

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Absolutely not.

Although I do think that the current structure for evaluating and developing O line talent needs new perspective.

The body of work here I think is conclusive. Whether it's input (what we look for), or evaluation (understanding what we're looking for) or execution (developing what we get) -- I can't say. Could be all three for all we know. As is, it's clearly not working.

Seymour

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":qzs21yp7 said:
One thing is clear: Scott McCloughan played a huge role in draft picks. He helped make JS great. He is sorely missed, to the point that I think it's fair to question whether he was making a bigger contribution than JS. I would also like to see a complete revamp of how they evaluate OL players.

+1 to McCloughan is missed. Besides oline, we haven't exactly hit on RB either.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
My only criticism of JS, is that he paid so many of the stars. Historically that's how many good teams slowly decline. A team does well and turns nobodies into stars and with depth to cover the injuries. The stars then demand a ton of money, the team pays those stars and can no longer afford the depth. The injuries start to pile on as those stars get older and more wear and tear. Plus those stars just lose the same drive. The team slowly declines until its rebuild mode.

Although everyone loves to point to the Pats as cheaters, lets face it. They are the epitome of maintaining success in the modern salary cap NFL era. How do they do it? They pay their QB, they pay one super star (Gronk), whenever someone else demands more money than he is worth. They let him walk and turn someone else into a star under their scheme, and then they pick up someone when immense talent is cheap but they're a free agent because of bone head moves but coach is firm that he will not put up with the bull on his team.

Hyak

Reaction score
I don't think they need to change leadership but there's no question that the success of recent drafts are not anywhere close to what they did in the first 3 years of the regime.

2013 yielded one consistent contributor in Luke Willson, who is a role player plus Michaels and Hill. It also used the 1st to trade for Harvin. 2014 produced Richardson, Britt, Marsh, and KPL.

2015 looks to be better with Graham via the trade of the 1st rounder, Clark, Lockett, and Glowinski. 2016 looks to have some promise although a lot hinges on the two OL developing into starters and Prosise staying healthy.

This year, we have to see what the final # of picks they have pending the Sherman debacle. Assuming it stays the same, it looks like they will have 8 picks:

3 - Comp pick for Irvin
5 - Comp pick for Sweezy
7 - for Norwood

Latest posts