Time to scout some centers!

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I like my Centers smart, which is the one thing I'll always appreciate about Unger, who wasn't physically overwhelming. This Marpet kid is the kind of guy who could come in, maybe play a bit of guard, and then be ready to start by Year 2. I like that.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Mike Mayock likes Mitch Morse from Missouri after going to the Pro Day. Looks like a 4th round pick which would be perfect with our needs.

Mayock video about Shane Ray but talks Morse towards the end:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... f-the-mark

6'5" but short arms at 32.25" Strong though with 36 reps, 112" broad jump and 4.50 second 20 yard shuttle

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552668

Rob Rang's thoughts:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... itch-morse

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=OG

Charles Davis 2015 NFL Draft All-Underrated Team: QB Bennett leads offense

"Guards: Mark Glowinski, West Virginia; Mitch Morse, Missouri
The skinny: Morse was a tackle at Missouri but projects inside to guard at the next level. The Tigers sent Justin Britt to the NFL last year, and he wasn't a very highly touted prospect but started all 16 games for the Seahawks last season. Morse has a good chance of playing early, too. As for Glowinski, I keep hearing his name come up when I talk to scouts. He's a hard-nosed player.

Center: Max Garcia, Florida
The skinny: Garcia acquitted himself quite well at the East-West Shrine Game earlier this year. He has the toughness NFL teams look for in a center."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ds-offense

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2btdynnm said:
I like my Centers smart, which is the one thing I'll always appreciate about Unger, who wasn't physically overwhelming. This Marpet kid is the kind of guy who could come in, maybe play a bit of guard, and then be ready to start by Year 2. I like that.

I'd be willing to bet he comes in and starts day 1 if he had to. Seattle has the ability to ease him in during the season with Bailey manning the LG position. But have to assume Bailey will be shifted to OT soon as Okung or Britt gets nicked.

One of the biggest assets he demonstrated at the Senior Bowl, was his ability to take instruction immediately from NFL coaches and apply it in practices against players of a caliber he rarely faced in college. Should develop very quickly during the first offseason. Naturally it's a small sample size. But the Senior Bowl is meant to really stress college prospects and expose them. Yet it was Marpet who did the exposing of other players. Didn't merely demonstrate he belonged in that class. He stood out.

I get the sense he could be the best player on our line by the end of year 1. He has a vibe of being a special player.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Not sure how this is relevant, but thought it was worthy of this thread:

Carroll said the team would not be adverse to drafting a center and having him start next season if necessary.

“We’ve had rookies start everywhere over the years,” he said. “Just depends on the guy and if that happened these guys are going to have to be really good, have his act together and all that and have to beat out some guys that are in our system pretty good, too. So we’ll see how it goes”

Asked about the difficult of a rookie starting at center, Carroll said: “This will be an interesting competition. We’ll see how it goes. It’s a lot to ask a guy, yeah. A lot to ask. That position can be the key position in kind of being the quarterback of the front, so it’s a lot to ask a young guy. Just depends on where he comes from, what his makeup is, how he handles stuff and all of that. And like always, we will look at whoever the guy is and we will adapt accordingly to match up what we need to do. Sometimes responsibilities have to be shifted a little bit because of the makeup of the guys that you have at any spot.”
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... her-notes/

McGruff

Reaction score
You can't start a rookie Qb. Too much to handle.

You can't start a a rookie MLB. They are the Qb of the defense.

You can't start a rookie FS. They Re the Qb of the secondary.

That's what they say. Wonder what Russ, Bobby and Earl think of that logic.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":32uhr2xh said:
CurryStopstheRuns":32uhr2xh said:
BJ Finney. Plus, the Seahawks met with him twice at his pro day.

Yeah, I'm not exactly surprised that Seattle was already looking at OC's this draft. There are a bunch of them.

Unger, to me, has always been kind of a Mebane type of player. A good player. But certainly a market value kind of player. A guy who under the right conditions could be succeeded with a good rookie. This year is thick in centers. I don't expect we were necessarily thinking of letting him go -- the inference has been made that it was a possibility. But for sure it made sense to get one so that the team was able to move on from him this year or next.

I get grouping Mebane and Unger (barely, public perception of Mebane is ridiculously low), but calling them replaceable with rookies is mind boggling. “Brandon Mebane is like the engine that helps our defense go.”--Richard Sherman.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I really like Florida center Max Garcia as a potential late 5th Round pick. At 6'4 3/4, 310 lbs, he has size at the position that is similar to Unger. Arms and hands are an inch bigger than Unger's. Garcia is physically powerful and moves well in space. Had 30 bench reps at his Pro Day. He's stronger and more physical than Marcus Martin was last year.

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein doesn't think he can play in a zone scheme . . . I don't agree. Raw agility numbers are a poor measure for interior linemen. Watching some of his tape, he moves fluidly in space, does a good job sealing off defenders in the run game, and made several impressive blocks at the 2nd level. He's extremely well liked by teammates and coaches. He's played at tackle, guard, and center.

Does not make a lot of mistakes. Garcia is one of only two centers in the nation last season who rated in the Top 10 in both pass and run blocking efficiency. The other being Nevada's feisty 6'0 center Matt Galas, a potential UDFA prospect. Garcia did not allow a sack all year and was successful on nearly 92% of his run blocking snaps. This was after being switched from left guard to center before the start of the season. He would also be a good fit at LG.

cff-sig-C-pbe.png

cff-sig-C-run-block1.png

[youtube]A9IB5gwd0wc[/youtube]

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Hawks46":2rrpv7y1 said:
I like that Galik kid.

I want the guy in front of Wilson to be 6'2" and not 6'5".

Plus he was a finalist for the Rimming Trophy. gotta like that.

Agreed. Of all the centers that I believe would be available when the Hawks draft, Andy Gallik is the one I personally like the most. I'd be targeting Gallik in that late 4th to 5th Round range with an eye of possibly landing Shaq Mason after that. Mason is regarded as the most dominating run blocker in this draft -- a guy who can play both guard and center.

[youtube]UQOWX2mv2AU[/youtube]

If we find a way to land ourselves both Gallik and Mason, I'll be doing backflips.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
This is no doubt a deep and impressive class of centers. There are seven or eight guys with the potential to develop into legit starters, unlike last year's very weak class of centers (that is other than GB's Corey Linsley, who really surprised me). I would be somewhat shocked if we didn't draft at least one guy on this list. The late 4th Round will be particularly thick with available center prospects.