Tom Cable as NYG HC (rumors and speculation)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Josea16":10sz1wm7 said:
The High Lord Spelling Nazi corrected me. I feel honored IRo seriously. Honestly I wasn't paying attention until Russell Wilson came because then I knew beyond a doubt we got lucky and got franchise quarterback.
Rock or Anguish, can I get this set as my new forum moniker? .NET FCC Liaison has had its day. :lol:

Josea16

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ymqtc2n said:
Josea16":2ymqtc2n said:
The High Lord Spelling Nazi corrected me. I feel honored IRo seriously. Honestly I wasn't paying attention until Russell Wilson came because then I knew beyond a doubt we got lucky and got franchise quarterback.
Rock or Anguish, can I get this set as my new forum moniker? .NET FCC Liaison has had its day. :lol:
Man, I hope you get the change. I'm just telling the truth and respect the longtime posters.

Seymour

Reaction score
Josea16":1s8xkls4 said:
Seymour":1s8xkls4 said:
chris98251":1s8xkls4 said:
Josea16":1s8xkls4 said:
One can only hope so that we can dump the ZBS crap and become a dominate OL immediately.

Ahhh thats where your going to fail Young Josea Walker, Cable is a teacher of the system sure, but he is here solely becasue Pete wants this system, Pete has to be convinced to drop it or find a better coach to execute it.

There are several versions of the ZBS. For whatever reason, Cable seems to have far more issues getting things to click than other teams looking over the years here. Of course much of that is product selection (player) so for damn sure that won't be missed.
I didn't know that. Could you explain the different versions? And what Cable should be drafting because obviously it isn't working currently.

This explains much of what you want to know.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/4/18/2954139/on-tom-cable-and-the-offensive-lines-identity

Josea16

Reaction score
Seymour":2lp5if95 said:
Josea16":2lp5if95 said:
Seymour":2lp5if95 said:
chris98251":2lp5if95 said:
Ahhh thats where your going to fail Young Josea Walker, Cable is a teacher of the system sure, but he is here solely becasue Pete wants this system, Pete has to be convinced to drop it or find a better coach to execute it.

There are several versions of the ZBS. For whatever reason, Cable seems to have far more issues getting things to click than other teams looking over the years here. Of course much of that is product selection (player) so for damn sure that won't be missed.
I didn't know that. Could you explain the different versions? And what Cable should be drafting because obviously it isn't working currently.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/4/18/2954139/on-tom-cable-and-the-offensive-lines-identity
Thank you. You sir are now off my ignore list of two. Now currently at one.:D

sdog1981

Reaction score
Cable might be a lot better doing anything other than coaching an offensive line. He just doesn't get it for whatever reason.

Smellyman

Reaction score
New York,

He is really really good. I think you should hire him now. No time to waste.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":249uidku said:
Josea16":249uidku said:
Seymour":249uidku said:
chris98251":249uidku said:

And this is his downfall.

1. Cable runs a true Zone Blocking Scheme - with an important distinction. He's not your Alex Gibbs guru - in fact, I classify Cable's system as an upgrade from the traditional Gibbs system. A typical ZBS scheme involves quickness, footwork and athleticism over size and strength, relying on constant double, maybe even triple teams on D-Lineman to create movement on the line of scrimmage. ZBS is also very simple, and instead of man blocking, players only block a "zone" of the play. It's effectiveness is almost well utilized; most of the NFL offenses, including the Packers, Broncos, and Texans involves a general ZBS despite the differences between their philosophy, game planning, etc.
With Cable though, he utilizes the same thing with one unique trait: putting in big players, and already you can see the problems arise - after all, how does one fit behemoth players for a scheme initially designed for undersized, quick ones? The answer is the Cable does not simply look for big and tall players, but big and tall athletes.

The smarter better athletes are now on defense and have the scheme figured out, cables system using bigger guys cannot get to a spot before the defender has moved to another. The defenders know the schemes now and protect themselves, the rules have changed as well, also this has been a QB killer scheme going back to Elway, he took a lot of hits under Gibbs, in Oakland Cables system was devastating to the QB's there, here in Seattle Hass was pretty good and barely survived, going to the Colts as a back up he showed that he was a good QB still, that's in Indy. Tuiasasopo had the most success in Oakland due to him being a lesser Wilson, the odds caught up to him and he had a serious injury eventually.

original poster

Reaction score
I doubt he gets the job in honesty.

The offensive line is finally getting some continuity and then the coach gets grabbed. Not entirely sure how I feel.

If I had a gun to my head I'd say give him the job, as long as he doesn't try and snatch Bevell. That would be almost guaranteed disastrous, despite what many on here preach.

rossob

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much Cable and Bevell are to blame for our misery, but I would like to find out. Obviously, it would not make a real difference if Carroll just looks for clones of them. But there is the tiny possibility that we would get a McVay. :D

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Not that I'm all that interested in keeping Cable...

But those in this thread saying that Cable has drafted the wrong players for his system, could probably stand to pay a little closer attention to those players. Cable has drafted almost solely FOR athleticism. We've been talking about that for years. Look at Fant. All athleticism. No technique. Almost the same with Germain Ifedi - he was noted in his pre-draft scouting for raw athleticism. Very raw. Russell Okung, Justin Britt, Rees Odhiambo, Mark Glowinski, same deal - stood out for B+ athleticism. Garry Gilliam was so mobile that he was used as a blocking tight end. That's what you want in the ZBS. We haven't drafted any statues that I've been aware of.

Cable's failures are better attributed to a variety of factors, such as:

* The ZBS taking a while to learn (the curve is not as easy as advertised)
* Honest busts
* Too much emphasis on versatility
* Too much youth
* Wilson being the league's most difficult QB to block for
* Pete's scheme requiring lots of protection waiting for long-developing routes (how good did this OL look against the Eagles when Wilson wasn't waiting four seconds every play?)
* Bad RB's
* Injury

I think Cable has drafted and thrown too many career backups into starting positions in recent years (Odhiambo, Glowinski, Ifedi, Fant) to keep his job, personally. But this scheme mismatch business is kinda coming out of nowhere for this board.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I listened to a radio interview on Tuesday with the Giants owner on New York radio and he very clearly said that they were looking to find a GM before they hired a coach and would only consider a coach first if the "perfect candidate came along." There was then a lengthy discussion about whether he was sorry he ever fired Coughlin and he said no as the Giants are now looking into the new fad of hiring a young coach. When asked about experience vs youth he was pretty clear in that the organization was leaning towards youth. So I don't buy Cable going to New York at all.

Seymour

Reaction score
NJlargent":1ol1enpg said:
.... When asked about experience vs youth he was pretty clear in that the organization was leaning towards youth. So I don't buy Cable going to New York at all.

I don't have high hopes. We went through this 3 years ago also. He still has to ace the interview which IMO is about a 1 in 100 chance of happening.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Even the Giants organization isnt dumb enough to hire him.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
There is no way in hell the Giants are hiring Tom Cable.