Tony Dungy saying

BigMeach

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":fmu95uib said:
knownone":fmu95uib said:
4 INTs... I think he's wrong about our defense. Obviously they didn't play a great game, but any team coming in here expecting to throw it 50 times and win is crazy.

I'm with you, no need to change anything.

3 of INT's were total gifts.

The defense played awful.

Seen a few people say this now. What INT isn't a gift? There were also at least 3 int's more we should have had on top of the fact that every time we seem to cause a fumble it either immediately falls under the player who fumbled or goes out of bounds. There is luck involved in 90+% of turnovers.

Was Sherman's pic on the 2 point conversion not earned? Lane's on the 4th down play? Kam Chancellor making an amazing play to catch it and stay in bounds along with Shead(forget if it was him for sure) knocking it away from defender to allow the play? Ruben making a heads up play for a Dlineman?

You might be able to make an argument for the Brown fall and Sherman pic as a gift but I'm confident Sherman is in position to still make that play without Brown falling down and if not he will not let Brown catch it.

If you do mean they weren't earned by calling them gifts than I strongly disagree. The mere fact they had to throw it so much against our defense makes them earned.

olyfan63

Reaction score
OrFan":3r6e2fgb said:
seabowl":3r6e2fgb said:
OrFan":3r6e2fgb said:
Dungee has never been very bright, in my opinion.

It's Dungy

Ok, Dingy it is.

It is pretty funny me saying he isn't bright as I just copy the spelling in the thread title without even thinking about it.

Tony Dungy is a Super-Bowl winning coach and an extremely smart man. However, his job as a national mediot is to say things that get attention, i.e., provoke an emotional reaction. Sometimes you have exaggerate or sensationalize to do that.

If the man is doing his job, the response among fans would be to get upset and argue, debate, and otherwise give attention to his opinions. Sounds like he's being effective.

Rob12

Reaction score
The defense is a shell of its former self. This year has really shown me how paramount it is to have a very good No. 2 corner that plays great in your system. I think that's been one of the biggest issues with this defense, among other things.

The talent is largely the same. Coaching and failing to make adjustments has been another big issue. This defense simply gets torched when they play an above average QB.

The offense is going to have morph into the best unit we've seen under the PC era, because this is the worst defense that we have had during his tenure here. And that's painful to admit, but despite the No. 2 overall ranking before today's game, this did not look a solid unit. They have feasted on bad teams with terrible quarterbacks.

Russell and company are going to have to put in serious work if we want to make a deep run in the playoffs.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Rob12":3eyhnu9q said:
The defense is a shell of its former self. This year has really shown me how paramount it is to have a very good No. 2 corner that plays great in your system. I think that's been one of the biggest issues with this defense, among other things.

The talent is largely the same. Coaching and failing to make adjustments has been another big issue. This defense simply gets torched when they play an above average QB.

The offense is going to have morph into the best unit we've seen under the PC era, because this is the worst defense that we have had during his tenure here. And that's painful to admit, but despite the No. 2 overall ranking before today's game, this did not look a solid unit. They have feasted on bad teams with terrible quarterbacks.

Russell and company are going to have to put in serious work if we want to make a deep run in the playoffs.

Didnt QB's like Romo, Rivers, Luck, etc. put up 30 plus points on our defense in the last few years?

endzorn

Reaction score
What have you seen in the last few weeks that makes you think we have a great defense anymore? I think he's right...if we advance it will be because our offense is coming around. I'm worried about Richard as a coordinator, but I'll reserve judgement until Schneider gives him a full complement of corners to work with. This group is seriously lacking behind Sherman.

djb28

Reaction score
We just won a game I thought we were gonna lose. I dont care what anyone says, I am so happy. Those Steelers have 3 INCREDIBLE WR Threats. 3! WE WIN!

Rob12

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3lpu36y9 said:
Rob12":3lpu36y9 said:

Didnt QB's like Romo, Rivers, Luck, etc. put up 30 plus points on our defense in the last few years?

Not consistently.

We're giving up 30 PPG and over 325 pass yards/game when we play a top 15 QB.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
2 things.

Nobody is really afraid of the Hawks D. Well, except Vernon Davis.

Also, Dungy is prone to saying all the dumb things second guessers say. He said Tomlin should have gone for the TD, not kick the FG. Neve mind the concussed QB.

Carry on.

captSE

Reaction score
Our defense hasn't been the same this year. This Steelers game is no measurement of our defense for the season. Hell, the Cards scored 39 points on us and I think I heard we've lost in the 4th quarter when in all our losses even though we were ahead in every game!. Plus, 30 points against us today?
The only thing the defense has going for it is they are all very talented players. On the other side of that, they all look disinterested. That narrows it down to "what is Richard doing wrong"?
I just don't see the fire like they've always had in the past.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":342kwsu9 said:
We have to be a offensive minded team and that nobody fears our defense.....
So, aside from the pissy Dungy comments, what has our defense done this season to justify being feared of? I happen to think he has a valid point. We have not shown ourselves able to close out games this year defensively.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1xy3mzg8 said:
chris98251":1xy3mzg8 said:
We have to be a offensive minded team and that nobody fears our defense.....
So, aside from the pissy Dungy comments, what has our defense done this season to justify being feared of? I happen to think he has a valid point. We have not shown ourselves able to close out games this year defensively.

Our defensive ranking is in the top of the league even if it is not up to our standards overall, we have problems sure, but the collapse of our team is attributed in my view to the offense not being able to do one of two things, control the ball or score in the second half and primarily the 4th quarter. The defense was on the field consistently and gassed by all the three and outs and or turnovers.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Rankings be damned. When this defense plays a decent team it gets gutted. Our ranking is due to playing garbage teams. When we play good teams we get exposed on defense.

That's the facts folks. Don't know why we have become so crappy but we have.

Tical21

Reaction score
We get everybody's best shot. They've all devoted a whole bunch of time to figure out how to play against Cover-3. They know where all the little holes are. We don't have the right personnel or the practice time spent on other defenses, so we're pretty poor when we try others. For example, the 69 yard completion was against Cover-2, and it is because Earl wasn't prepared for the route that they ran, and also kind of forgot that even if there are two safeties, he still has deep responsibility.

It's a really tough thing. Do we let them change us, or do we just keep evolving within the same defense?

When they come up to the line, they know if we're in our cover-3. They know where our guys are going to be and which matchups they want to attack. Man, we're pretty good at it though. Kam and Sherm anticipated wrinkles very well today. I think teams play well against us BECAUSE we are feared, not because we aren't. It's a compliment that teams have spent so much time studying how to beat us. Kris Richard has a much more difficult job than the two before him. I'll bet you we're going to be really stubborn and play the cover-3 even more, and get even better at it. We've got the personnel to do it, it isn't like our guys aren't studs anymore.

onepicknick

Reaction score
Dungey is absolutely correct. Look at last year before we start falling apart on defense how did Carolina come in to our house and put up those numbers. I wish Carrol would get this fixed to ask for our offense to put up 30pt a game is too much. The stats don't lie we had the lead in all the games in the 4th quarter and we lost how many of those in the final drive of the opposing team does this spell a great defense?

Largent80

Reaction score
When I see Dungy talk it reminds me of those old campy cartoons with the static face with the mouth of a person talking.

However, at this moment he is correct. The defense blows. Earl isn't the Earl we have seen for years, Chancellor?...same.

The front line was terrible yesterday, and Wagner and Wright had atrocious games. We aren't scaring anyone anymore.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
We can't expect the defense to hold every team to 10 points or less, especially not against one of the best offenses in the league.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2gvbsok6 said:
We can't expect the defense to hold every team to 10 points or less, especially not against one of the best offenses in the league.

No, but they had no trouble holding the best offenses to under 20 pts in years past, and I think that's what most are hoping for.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I question how much of this is related to opponents never getting called for holding even on repeatedly blatant holds.

QB's have way to much time and get into a comfort zone. When that happens they play above their normal level.

If you were an opponents O-coord what would you tell your lineman before playing Seattle based soley on the numbers? Don't be afraid to play aggressive and a little outside the rules, you probably won't be called for holding.

Just a few holding calls and the whole picture changes. Opponents find themselves in 1st and 20 a few times and they back off on the holding, letting our rushers affect the QB play.

Our secondary gets a few more opportunities for TO's and play with more confidence.

You can look at the offensive production of our opponents and the lack of calls statistically and see the correlation and I really can't see any other reason for it.

Latest posts