Tony Dungy saying

captSE

Reaction score
Ben Roethlisberger: 456 yards most for his career ever. Most against the Seahawks EVER!!!!

wtf.

Defense wins, so it better get better.

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
captSE":k2lbnpks said:
Ben Roethlisberger: 456 yards most for his career ever. Most against the Seahawks EVER!!!!

wtf.

The Steelers threw 59 times!!!!

Seahawks threw 29 times less and only finished a hundred yards less passing Than Ben.

Yes are defense could have done better but when a team throws 59 times there gonna get yards.

Huge win by both sides of the ball! 4 picks aint to shabby.

onepicknick

Reaction score
Seahawks4life":32u27z4l said:
captSE":32u27z4l said:

wtf.

The Steelers threw 59 times!!!!

Seahawks threw 29 times less and only finished a hundred yards less passing Than Ben.

Yes are defense could have done better but when a team throws 59 times there gonna get yards.

Huge win by both sides of the ball! 4 picks aint to shabby.

So all in all we have to throw the ball 59 times to put up big numbers is that why they did it or we have a soft defense where they could throw 55 times and be comfortable. Teams used to be scared to throw the ball on us because of interceptions let alone 55 times.

Not saying I'm not happy with the win a win is a win but to ask the offense to win games for us when it should be the defense wins the games

johnnyfever

Reaction score
We did get 5 interception (one didn't count as it was a 2 pt conversion). Wilson threw 0. Only counting the 4 that is an interception every 15 throws. That is great! We won by 2 scores. Had great coverage on the 2nd most prolific reciever in the league. The last 2 years we had arguably one of the best defenses OF ALL TIME! Now we are just a great defense, so people are bitching. I'm not saying we don't have things to correct, but when you dissect it, we played a damn good defensive game.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
In Pete's tenure, IIRC, the Hawks have given up more than 400 yards 4 times.

Unless I am mistaken, they are 4-0 in those games.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
captSE":ho0pja16 said:

wtf.

That is not the most ever, he has had a 500 yard game before. And Sherman played balls out yesterday in reference to your first post

Edit: in fact he's had two
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/26/ ... s-steelers

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Narniaman":hjxi7hxu said:
HawkRiderFan":hjxi7hxu said:
Well isn't Dungy the guy who voted Wagner NFL MVP last year due to our record with and without him? Love BW but that was pretty out there.
That was tough to watch at times but most of the QB receiver combos in this league are not going to do what Rothlisberger did hitting his receivers and some of the catches they made. On a positive, noone has done a job in a while on Brown that Sherman did.

And the remainder of the group once known as the Legion of Boom held Markus Wheaton to a career game of 201 yards. . . . . .
Two of the Stealers NFL top Receivers were being covered by Sherman & Shead, Miller was getting a lot of targets in theseam, so when the Secondary started spreading themselves out to include him too, Wheaton for the most part, was free to exploit.
Maybe Sherman should learn how to divide his coverage between their top Receiver and an also ran Wheaton eh?
You give enough time for a Quarterback, let alone a good Vet Quarterback like Rottenbugger (and he had LOTS and LOTS of time), somebody's going to get open.
Seahawks D-Line wasn't getting any real pressure on the fat assed Quarterback for most of Wheaton's 201 Yards.

onepicknick

Reaction score
johnnyfever":3c05hl8r said:
We did get 5 interception (one didn't count as it was a 2 pt conversion). Wilson threw 0. Only counting the 4 that is an interception every 15 throws. That is great! We won by 2 scores. Had great coverage on the 2nd most prolific reciever in the league. The last 2 years we had arguably one of the best defenses OF ALL TIME! Now we are just a great defense, so people are bitching. I'm not saying we don't have things to correct, but when you dissect it, we played a damn good defensive game.

I would say two years ago we had the best defense of all time last year is far from that and I would never claim that. We lost the SB and should of lost to GB not because of our offense but the defense.

Two years ago if people put everything in perspective we stopped the most prolific offense that ever played the game record setting year for that offense not even the 85 bears could claim that, we held them to 8pts. Just think of that offense Manning is a calculating short passer screens, 3-7 yard passes and let the receiver get the yards.

I heard one announcer say Earl Thomas has been on the other side of highlights this year including the run from Martavis But like someone on the board said it might start with the Defensive Line not getting pressure up the middle I think the edge pressure from Bennett and Avril has been great.

I would just like the defense Fixed where if it's the last 2 minutes of the game we are up by 2 and know the game is in hand we know it's going to be intercepted or a fumble or out on downs not damn they left to much time on the clock.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
onepicknick":2ytodeb4 said:
I would say two years ago we had the best defense of all time last year is far from that and I would never claim that. We lost the SB and should of lost to GB not because of our offense but the defense.

Wait... what? Are you serious? Our defense was put in bad positions numerous times in that game because of turnovers that led to short fields, yet the D still kept the score within reach. No, the D played well for most of that game, and the O did them no favors until the end, coupled with a bit of luck on the onside kick.

The D does indeed need to improve in communicating handoffs, deep-routes, and seams. I'd like to see more front 4 pressure, as has been said in other threads.

And the term is "should have," not "should of."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Dungy's right, teams don't fear our defense anymore, and have figured out how to have success throwing against our zone.

So I hope Pete does take this to heart, and not only changes his offensive philosophy a little with letting Russell loose, but also change up the defensive schemes so we can get more pressure on the QB.

Will he? idk, he's pretty stubborn.

Seymour

Reaction score
knownone":23jw9i01 said:
4 INTs... I think he's wrong about our defense. Obviously they didn't play a great game, but any team coming in here expecting to throw it 50 times and win is crazy.

I'm with you, no need to change anything.

And ZERO picks by our DB's going into that game. I can understand teams no longer fearing our D, that went out with Kaepernick. When was the last time Kam knocked somebody senseless? Last year before the attitude change is my answer.

purpleneer

Reaction score
onepicknick":1omefs47 said:
johnnyfever":1omefs47 said:
We did get 5 interception (one didn't count as it was a 2 pt conversion). Wilson threw 0. Only counting the 4 that is an interception every 15 throws. That is great! We won by 2 scores. Had great coverage on the 2nd most prolific reciever in the league. The last 2 years we had arguably one of the best defenses OF ALL TIME! Now we are just a great defense, so people are bitching. I'm not saying we don't have things to correct, but when you dissect it, we played a damn good defensive game.The D hasn't fallen into suckitude, but to say it's anywhere near great this season is complete hogwash.

Totally wrong on both. The defense (and ST) covered for a putrid performance by the O (cough, Wilson) for the vast majority of the NFCCG. The Super Bowl should have been sealed by the O, playing against a D that struggled to be mediocre, rather than putting so much on a defense that was a shell of itself by the 4th. Also, can we stop using of instead of have?

Two years ago if people put everything in perspective we stopped the most prolific offense that ever played the game record setting year for that offense not even the 85 bears could claim that, we held them to 8pts. Just think of that offense Manning is a calculating short passer screens, 3-7 yard passes and let the receiver get the yards.

I heard one announcer say Earl Thomas has been on the other side of highlights this year including the run from Martavis But like someone on the board said it might start with the Defensive Line not getting pressure up the middle I think the edge pressure from Bennett and Avril has been great.

I would just like the defense Fixed where if it's the last 2 minutes of the game we are up by 2 and know the game is in hand we know it's going to be intercepted or a fumble or out on downs not damn they left to much time on the clock.
I do miss that comfort level.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Zero holding calls and the least penalties by opponents 2 years running. If this is all legit then we need to know why opponents are capable of playing so much cleaner against the 2 time division champs then they are against even teams like the Jags.

Teams know they can hold against us even blatantly so we are seeing it and it is killing our defense. No pressure on the QB allows for confidence to build and windows to open.

Teams receivers even know to go into scramble drill against us since the pocket will likely be preserved.

Call it what you want but our defense was ruining fantasy football and now we are suddenly average? Pretty much the same personel but they are all just under acheiving?

This to me is pretty simple. When your opponents blatantly hold and never get called they are going to do it more and more until it pretty much breaks your defense.

In short we just need to stop getting held at the LOS and we will be back were we were. Come on Pete teach these guys to not get held. Sarcasm not needed I hope.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":13ufl6po said:
Zero holding calls and the least penalties by opponents 2 years running. If this is all legit then we need to know why opponents are capable of playing so much cleaner against the 2 time division champs then they are against even teams like the Jags.

This speaks directly to the distinct lack of interior pass rush quality on this years' team.

Players hold because they are losing the 1 on 1 battles. Our interior guys can't force holding situations. This is where just adding one real quality interior rusher could compound his quality many fold for us. Early throws and moving off the spot leads to more errant throws and picks. Pocket collapse means reduced ability to step up and the wins by Avril and Bennett on the outside leads to sacks and not completions or long scrambles. And of course holding calls means better chance of getting off the field.

This is the core deficiency IMO of this defense. Inability to hold on 3rd down.

The defense is close. But it's missing that one key ingredient to bring all of our quality all along the defensive roster to bear. Like making a great dish, but forgetting the salt. It needs that one quality to provide closing opportunities.

The same can be said for the lack of contact/DPI on our receivers. It's a function of two things:

1. Seattle's receivers aren't exactly physical. Opponents don't have to work very hard to fight through a bad position to make plays on the ball.

2. Russell doesn't throw a volume of passes, and generally doesn't throw balls where our players have to fight off defenders physically. So far fewer opportunities for defenders to be put in a position to foul. He does occasionally do it. But not regularly enough. And in particular, he takes sacks on third downs at a staggering rate -- the down in which these calls are most likely to be closely scrutinized and flagged. Additionally, he is far more prone to airmailing a pass out of bounds instead of trying to deliver a pass that is risky. Those incompletions will almost never result in a flag. It's worth watching as we move forward -- if Wilson continues to get the ball out quickly and those sacks and throwaways become successful attempts -- if we don't start getting the benefits of bail out calls. The offensive landscape of the modern NFL rewards teams who take some risk in that regard.

Lockette's speed and Graham's size would both lend themselves to getting DPI calls. But Lockette is such a clean route runner that he gets excellent separation. If we do go to a timing passing attack, I could see Lockette drawing a fair number of flags as he's very explosive and crisp and could draw a lot of grabs of the jersey. Richardson also has that quality and we're missing that. Tate too was really decent at that. He was physical enough to fight for balls and Wilson was clearly more comfortable throwing contested passes to him when he was here. Kearse has that physical ability but he's simply not explosive enough to put defenders in dire position that they are forced to foul.

It's worth noting, that passing offenses predicated on quick timing routes often get more calls by nature. Because throws are by design delivered to spaces where defender and receiver are close. Proximity leads to more instances where those calls can be made. Seattle doesn't have that kind of offense. Nor are most secondaries we face as aggressive as ours.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
johnnyfever wrote:

onepicknick wrote: :pukeface: The D hasn't fallen into suckitude, but to say it's anywhere near great this season is complete hogwash.

Onepick-You can say "its hogwash", but that doesn't make it so. Seattle is top five in total defense, top 5 againts the run, and top ten against the pass. I love guys who just throw out random comments with nothing to back them up. :141847_bnono:

onepicknick

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2jujvmaq said:
johnnyfever wrote:

onepicknick wrote: :pukeface: The D hasn't fallen into suckitude, but to say it's anywhere near great this season is complete hogwash.

Onepick-You can say "its hogwash", but that doesn't make it so. Seattle is top five in total defense, top 5 againts the run, and top ten against the pass. I love guys who just throw out random comments with nothing to back them up. :141847_bnono:

Johnny And I love guys who don't know how to quote LOL I didn't post that one, or was this a random comment LOL

johnnyfever

Reaction score
purpleneer":2gleo5hj said:
onepicknick":2gleo5hj said:
johnnyfever":2gleo5hj said:
We did get 5 interception (one didn't count as it was a 2 pt conversion). Wilson threw 0. Only counting the 4 that is an interception every 15 throws. That is great! We won by 2 scores. Had great coverage on the 2nd most prolific reciever in the league. The last 2 years we had arguably one of the best defenses OF ALL TIME! Now we are just a great defense, so people are bitching. I'm not saying we don't have things to correct, but when you dissect it, we played a damn good defensive game.The D hasn't fallen into suckitude, but to say it's anywhere near great this season is complete hogwash.

Totally wrong on both. The defense (and ST) covered for a putrid performance by the O (cough, Wilson) for the vast majority of the NFCCG. The Super Bowl should have been sealed by the O, playing against a D that struggled to be mediocre, rather than putting so much on a defense that was a shell of itself by the 4th. Also, can we stop using of instead of have?

There is the whole quote, just didnt want all the other stuff in there. You are fully correct, I dont spend enough time on forums to know how to break up quotes. Seems like that might be a good thing though.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
purpleneer":3ndmlkyz said:
onepicknick":3ndmlkyz said:
johnnyfever":3ndmlkyz said:

There is the whole quote, just didnt want all the other stuff in there. You are fully correct, I dont spend enough time on forums to know how to break up quotes. Seems like that might be a good thing though.

Latest posts