Tony McDaniel Cut

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1uqvvvs8 said:
TM is an excellent run stopper. Unfortunately, he did not add much upside as a pass rusher, which is what you need at the three technique.

Hill is going to need to step the hell up. He has the pass rushing prowess, but he needs to learn how to be more physical, read the run, shed blocks, and make tackles.

Rubin, I have a low opinion of based on his struggles, specifically against the run, over the last two seasons.

I would like to see Dobbs get an opportunity at the three technique; he looked very stout against the run and gives you pass rushing upside. I wonder if he is big enough to play inside on first and second downs.

Three technique is even more of a position to watch now during training camp.

Hopefully with the offensive upgrades teams will be forced into passing mode early and often. Stopping the run will be much less critical than the past.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1spi8ug1 said:
hawknation2015":1spi8ug1 said:
TM is an excellent run stopper. Unfortunately, he did not add much upside as a pass rusher, which is what you need at the three technique.

Hill is going to need to step the hell up. He has the pass rushing prowess, but he needs to learn how to be more physical, read the run, shed blocks, and make tackles.

Rubin, I have a low opinion of based on his struggles, specifically against the run, over the last two seasons.

I would like to see Dobbs get an opportunity at the three technique; he looked very stout against the run and gives you pass rushing upside. I wonder if he is big enough to play inside on first and second downs.

Three technique is even more of a position to watch now during training camp.

Hopefully with the offensive upgrades teams will be forced into passing mode early and often. Stopping the run will be much less critical than the past.

I get what you're saying, but stopping the run is always important, especially in this division. The Cardinals, Rams, and 49ers are all dedicated to running the ball. Most of the schedule this year, actually, is dedicated to running the ball.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Also history shows that the teams that make it to the Superbowl and winning it is usually a top 10 Run stopping team.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2opbx6fq said:
I think I have the opposite take on Rubin than you do. I don't think it is a coincidence that he began struggling when Cleveland changed their defense to a 3-4 and he had to position change. I think he was a very underrated signing and coming back to a 4-3, with real talent around him, he could have a huge year for us.

sutz

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":19exa1u7 said:
Also history shows that the teams that make it to the Superbowl and winning it is usually a top 10 Run stopping team.
And this stat almost always coincides with having a good to great running game. Or at least it seems so.

ptisme

Reaction score
Why wouldn't they have traded him? Seems like a decent enough player....

northseahawk

Reaction score
Glad they did it at the beginning of training camp so that he could latch up with another team. Love this character about the seahawks. They don't ruin people's lives.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1fkzivb9 said:

Actually, history says the opposite.

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytic ... win-3.html

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytic ... nning.html

https://thepowerrank.com/2014/01/10/whi ... -playoffs/

Seattle gets away with it because their run game is one for the ages and has intangible impact on the opposing team. But that's what it takes to overwhelm passing efficiency and pass defense as the two most important aspects of winning.

netskier

Reaction score
I think it is a bad sign when we cut a starter. This immediately decreases our QUALITY depth which is risky for Superbowl aspiring teams.

Individual salary greed is attacking our team depth.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I thought McDaniel was a lot worse last year than in 2013.

netskier

Reaction score
Points taken, but people do vase from year to year, often due to injuries causing their play to drop off. Still, he was the starter, and could have provided quality depth this year, at the very worst. And might still be the starter if not cut.

chris98251

Reaction score
netskier":2c9p638n said:
I think it is a bad sign when we cut a starter. This immediately decreases our QUALITY depth which is risky for Superbowl aspiring teams.

How so? Higher salary typically, ageing compared to his replacement which makes him more injury prone, if there was so much difference between him and another they would not let him go anyway.

We have been letting the back ups and UDFA push and take positions away from vets and higher draft picks here, who's to say that the depth isn't better then the starter.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
netskier":vt18qooe said:
Points taken, but people do vase from year to year, often due to injuries causing their play to drop off. Still, he was the starter, and could have provided quality depth this year, at the very worst. And might still be the starter if not cut.
I actually think it's a good thing. You want younger players to emerge and take vets jobs eventually. They don't make this move if they don't have confidence in the younger players to do an adequate job. I'm excited to see what Rubin can do back in a 4-3 scheme. I'll think he'll excel.
MontanaHawk05":vt18qooe said:
theincrediblesok":vt18qooe said:

Actually, history says the opposite.

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytic ... win-3.html

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytic ... nning.html

https://thepowerrank.com/2014/01/10/whi ... -playoffs/

Seattle gets away with it because their run game is one for the ages and has intangible impact on the opposing team. But that's what it takes to overwhelm passing efficiency and pass defense as the two most important aspects of winning.

Fade

Reaction score
The Hawks can get a vet DT to chase a ring for vet minimum. Paying $3.9 million against the cap for just a guy is a waste, thus why the Seahawks cut him.

Why not cut him earlier some might ask?

Well... because Tony McDaniel was good in 2013 and got a new 2 year deal, then was bad in 2014. The Seahawks probably wanted to see how he looked in camp before cutting him, also to the contracts for Wilson and Wagner hadn't come in yet so there was no need to rush until they were done.

netskier

Reaction score
I do believe that the biggest reason we lost the Superbowl is because we exhausted our QUALITY depth with Avril's concussion, which resulted in losing a ten point lead.

I wish we had enough money to evaluated McDaniel with his performance in training camp, instead of just guessing.

Note that they did not cut him until after the Wagner deal. I think the Wagner deal caused this cut, and I also think this deal explains the infamous Wagner tweet?

What is your explanation of his tweet if not this?

I do laud JS for cutting him immediately so he has time to get another job.

I still believe that individual salary greed attacks team depth, and this decreases probability of Superbowl wins.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":1pdymelr said:
netskier":1pdymelr said:

How so? Higher salary typically, ageing compared to his replacement which makes him more injury prone, if there was so much difference between him and another they would not let him go anyway.

We have been letting the back ups and UDFA push and take positions away from vets and higher draft picks here, who's to say that the depth isn't better then the starter.
Great teams don't rebuild they RELOAD. Great GM's (which JS is) can find gems any round in the draft and in undrafted players. Does that mean JS and PC are perfect? .....of course not, they make their share of mistakes, but they are right much more than other GM's and coaches are, so say the results anyhow.