Tony McDaniel Cut

Exittium

Reaction score
netskier":29d9ds67 said:
I do believe that the biggest reason we lost the Superbowl is because we exhausted our QUALITY depth with Avril's concussion, which resulted in losing a ten point lead.

I wish we had enough money to evaluated McDaniel with his performance in training camp, instead of just guessing.

Note that they did not cut him until after the Wagner deal. I think the Wagner deal caused this cut, and I also think this deal explains the infamous Wagner tweet?

What is your explanation of his tweet if not this?

I do laud JS for cutting him immediately so he has time to get another job.

I still believe that individual salary greed attacks team depth, and this decreases probability of Superbowl wins.

Nahhhhh,.. i wanna say its because we didnt give it to lynch but.. thats my 2 cents :stirthepot: :th2thumbs:

I think there are going to be a lot more players cut that people will be surprised about.. granted that's not saying much, but as of right now its still early.

netskier

Reaction score
Exitium, ten points is more than seven points. Therefore Avril's concussion hurt us more than the last play screwup.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2hmsba8e said:
Sports Hernia":2hmsba8e said:
Tech Worlds":2hmsba8e said:
That sucks. You need all the big guys you can get up front
Even Red Bryant types???? :stirthepot:

Beat me to it.
I should have said productive big guys.

But seriously if the Hawks end up caving to Kam and giving him more money I will blame him for McDaniel being cut and thus effecting our depth in the trenches.

Exittium

Reaction score
netskier":3r64tkgb said:
Exitium, ten points is more than seven points. Therefore Avril's concussion hurt us more than the last play screwup.

LOL, congrats on knowing how numbers work? Your grabbing at straws for an argument. You could say that Thomas, Kam and Sherman playing injured cost us the game, or its like saying passing instead of running cost us the game. So whats the point still? Depth? Our depth is unknown right now until we get further into camp and cuts start being made and we start getting an idea of who we have left to play ball with.

netskier

Reaction score
Blame Wilson and wagoner for McDaniel getting cut. For evidence listen to Pete's press conference today. Notice Pete calling McDaniel one of our CORE players. We would not cut a core player unless forced to.

Note Pete Pete saying that decision really sucked.

Note Pete saying that maybe we will try to bring him back sometime.

All three of these statements discredit the assertion that he was already on the way out.

netskier

Reaction score
Forcing the team to guess on player evaluations, INSTEAD, of using training camp to actually observe player performance is actually hostile to the goal of maximizing team strength and performance.

Exittium

Reaction score
netskier":2y9vphv1 said:
Forcing the team to guess on player evaluations, INSTEAD, of using training camp to actually observe player performance is actually hostile to the goal of maximizing team strength and performance.

Not when the player has been with the team for a period of time and has had plenty of evaluations. He's degraded in performances between the last couple of years. Is he core? No, i think PC is saying that to keep things good between the organization and player, that way in the off chance he was to come back he would. What would you do, bad mouth the player at a press conference and then expect him to comeback? Hell No. Cutting him this early in camp, I would say they're comfortable with whoever is replacing him. And they see more potential with who is replacing him.

erik2690

Reaction score
netskier":fkc4xdn7 said:
Blame Wilson and wagoner for McDaniel getting cut. For evidence listen to Pete's press conference today. Notice Pete calling McDaniel one of our CORE players. We would not cut a core player unless forced to.

Note Pete Pete saying that decision really sucked.

Note Pete saying that maybe we will try to bring him back sometime.

All three of these statements discredit the assertion that he was already on the way out.

It really doesn't discredit that at all. Pete's saying what he should and it likely did suck and they do want him back. None of that discredits the idea they were planning for this cut after signing the more important guys. Tony was "Core" in that he'd been a stable piece for this run, but he's not like one of our best guys on D. I don't totally get what your point is. We've had to make tough cuts every year of this run. Wagner/Wilson getting locked up is infinitely more important and the reality of the NFL is prioritizing because keeping literally everyone ain't happening. This was a good roster week for the teams future.

netskier

Reaction score
Exitium, watch Pete's face and listen to his voice talking about McDaniel, and then tell me you think Pete was being pro forma.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
ptisme":12btto51 said:
Why wouldn't [Cleveland] have traded [Rubin]? Seems like a decent enough player....
Why didn't we trade Tony McDaniel?

You need a trade partner to do a trade.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
netskier":2szl4cpq said:
Exitium, watch Pete's face and listen to his voice talking about McDaniel, and then tell me you think Pete was being pro forma.
Pete not wanting to see McDaniel go and McDaniel being part of the core are not one in the same.

netskier

Reaction score
I just think it is smarter to use training camp to actually observe and measure player performance than to guess about it.

Plus, if they had already decided to get rid of him, then why wait for two days of training camp before informing him, where he could get injured?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
netskier":2ypklmhw said:
I just think it is smarter to use training camp to actually observe and measure player performance than to guess about it.

Plus, if they had already decided to get rid of him, then why wait for two days of training camp before informing him, where he could get injured?
Guess about what?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
netskier":2behg46b said:

Probably cause they didn't know whether or not the Wilson & Wagner extensions would get done.

They've watched him play for 2 years, not that much is going to change over the summer. Pretty sure they know what they're getting from himand what they're losing by releasing him.

netskier

Reaction score
Hawkfan, guess about the performance of previous starter Tony McDaniel in training camp rather than guessing that he would not continue to win the competition.

netskier

Reaction score
HF77, scratch that last attempt.

Guess that McDaniel would not win his starting position again in training camp. Better to compete and see.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
netskier":26epzkxa said:
HF77, scratch that last attempt.

Guess that McDaniel would not win his starting position again in training camp. Better to compete and see.
Heres the thing, cap casualties are not scrubs. McDaniels would still be a valuable part to this team, but not so much that we couldn't get by without him. That 2.6 million we saved means more to the team than his play on the field. Would you rather have tony mcdaniel for 2015 or bobby wagner from 2016-2019? Because that 2.6 million was crucial to getting wagner locked up long term.

Besides, who knows, they might try to re-sign him.