Tony Moeaki signed..?

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
John Boyle ‏@johnpboyle 3m 3 minutes ago
#Seahawks signed TE Tony Moeaki and WR Bryan Walters, waived D.J. Fort and Terrence Parks (w/ injury settlement).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Parks and Fort cut. Moeaki and Walters in.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ByTimBooth/status/529766619233648640[/tweet]

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1qb08fto said:
Parks and Fort cut. Moeaki and Walters in.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ByTimBooth/status/529766619233648640[/tweet]

*Bette Midler voice...

Did you ever know that you're my hero?

Nice call, Sweetie.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":1quyg6qm said:
http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2014/11/04/seattle-seahawks-sign-new-tight-end-tony-moeaki/

The PI is reporting the signing was confirmed over the NFL transaction wire.

Liz Matthews confirming it on twitter as well.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Liz_Mathews/status/529768004742311938[/tweet]

This still leaves us needing one more transaction to get Lane active this weekend (well 2 if you include activating Lane)

jblaze

Reaction score
Miller is not going to IR. They're trying to get something, anything at TE right now and Willson has been terrible and Helfet is inconsistent. This is a move to get someone in to spark the position.

He's been a good player when he's been healthy but that's always been the knock, staying healthy. This could turn out to be a very good signing. He's a good blocker too.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Next move would likely involve a DB - not the TE position. They currently have 10 DB's on the roster, adding Lane would make 11. They typically carry 9, sometimes 10. Next move will involve Pinkins or Terrell

kidhawk

Reaction score
King Dog":2xi0w098 said:
I was hoping Cleveland was going to sign Walters.

With ADB having a slight groin issue It's not surprising that they wanted to get someone to field punts. They obviously have not found anyone else on the team to be reliable both in practice and in games.

jblaze

Reaction score
Pinkins is left on the IR list ending his season.

Steven Terrell will likely be the one to get dropped to make room.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
DJ_CJ":3iuodoar said:
As Iowa guy I LOVE this, but an injury plagued career. Come on Tony!!

Same here, but he is the dictionary definition of injury prone. Snake bit might be a more accurate description. If he can stay healthy this will be a great signing.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Chawks1":2rgo51wm said:
Hasselbeck":2rgo51wm said:
I don't think Zach is going to IR.. but I wonder if Willson is about to be released.

Release Willson? Why? Cuz he dropped a couple passes? 5th round draft pick who was the #2 TE in college behind Vance McDonald who was selected in the 2nd round by 49ers, who has only 2 catches this year. How about we let the kid play out his rookie contract before we dump him to the curb. Not too many guys in the league that are 6'5", 250 and run a 4.50 40yd. He is a project that has been tossed into the starting roll in both his first 2 years. Give him a little break huh?

OVERVIEW
At Rice's pro day, Willson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.57 and 4.46 seconds. He had a 38-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-2 broad jump. He ran the short shuttle in 4.28 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.04 seconds. He performed 23 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press. All of those totals would have been among the top 10 in his position group at the combine.

Her's Pete's quote from last year:

"He's been a fantastic draft pick for us," Seattle coach Pete Carroll said about Willson. "To play so early and contribute in such a variety of ways, and he's really just getting started. He's a tremendous prospect for us for the years to come."

Plus his coaches at Rice spoke of him as though he was the Zach Miller (backbone) of the Rice offense. I forget the coach's name (it doesn't matter here) but the HC went on to call Willson his "utility guy" and a guy he "could depend on when a play absolutely had to be made". We saw some of that in him last year and he was the guy, along with Turbin, I was most interested in seeing with more reps this year. Late last year I saw his blocking improve in big fashion and to me, that was a bonus I didn't count on. I was having visions of us utilizing that freak speed all over the place including WR and FB. With a complete year with Zach, I thought we were going to really unleash him and he would prove to be the score of our draft.

None of that is happening.

He is dropping balls, some easy, some not so easy, and sometimes looks totally unsure of his assignment. But
with the added reps comes added responsibility and he doesn't have the luxury of knowing if the going gets tough, in comes Zach. I am confident this is an off -year for him and just part of the growing pains that come with being a young NFL football player. At least I hope that's what we are seeing.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
Cautiously excited for this signing. Moeaki is a very talented player (from what I have seen of him during his time with the Chiefs) but obviously has been a walking injury waiting to happen.

Hope he can stay healthy long enough to be a bridge for us until Zach Miller gets back. It can't hurt! Welcome to the team Tony! :2:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
He had 80 combined receptions in two seasons - 2010 and 2012. That would probably put him #2 or #3 on the Seahawks. Considering the top guy would get about 50-60 receptions. The next TE on the Chiefs after Tony Gonzalez left can't be an easy task.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I love this signing. Moeaki is a terrific blocker. He could stick around if he can stay healthy.

kidhawk

Reaction score
jblaze":nt7nr93i said:

Seahawks just updated their depth chart.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart.html

I did a quick count and it seems there is one name missing and that is Steven Terrell. It's either just an oversight, or they plan to cut him to make room for Lane.

If this turns out to be the case, then that is likely good news on the Miller front. Of course whenever Miller comes back, I don't see us carrying 4 TE's, so the issue will come to a head eventually.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Not to change the topic but anyone knows if Fred Davis will get reinstated? He would be another guy for the Seahawks to take a look at in terms of upgrading the TE position. He's a proven redzone threat with his size.

Jville

Reaction score
kidhawk":agmb2a0n said:
jblaze":agmb2a0n said:

I did a quick count and it seems there is one name missing and that is Steven Terrell. It's either just an oversight, or they plan to cut him to make room for Lane.

If this turns out to be the case, then that is likely good news on the Miller front. Of course whenever Miller comes back, I don't see us carrying 4 TE's, so the issue will come to a head eventually.

I looked at the roster and refreshed. Steven Terrell #26 is still listed on the roster as a free safety.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Jville":26y3d3uo said:
kidhawk":26y3d3uo said:
jblaze":26y3d3uo said:

I looked at the roster and refreshed. Steven Terrell #26 is still listed on the roster as a free safety.

Yes he' on the roster but not the depth chart. Everyone else is where they should be including today's signings except him. Could just be a mistake but we will know by the weekend