TRADE ALERT!!! Leonard Williams to the Seahawks!

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I can't imagine that they let him walk. Because if they do, it's awful.
I think it's actually better if he leaves and gets a big contract somewhere else. Then there's a comp pick to mitigate the draft capital spent in this trade.

What a bunch of people around the 14th page of this thread seem to be ignoring with all the "overpay" talk is that the Seahawks didn't have the cap space available to add an impact player unless the other team involved was willing to take on a lot of the financial cost for the rest of this season. The Giants were willing to do that, but it cost the Seahawks more draft capital. The Seahawks basically traded some additional draft capital for a bunch of off-cap cash to pay Williams for the rest of this season.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
It's only a good move if they keep him around. Giving up a 2nd for half a season is not how good teams operate. He's not going anywhere.

I disagree. They're getting 10/17 (59%) of a season of an expensive player, and they're giving up some extra draft capital for his former team to cover all of the costs for him except for the veteran-minimum weekly salary times ten. And if he goes somewhere else next offseason because he gets more elsewhere than the Seahawks want to pay him, that's good for two reasons. First, for that to happen, he'll have to have played well for the Seahawks in 2023 (and possibly in the playoffs). Second, the Seahawks can get a comp pick for him, and that will reduce the net amount of draft capital spent on the whole deal.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
This is a great move!

It shows Seattle wants to win NOW/SOON!

Leonard Williams is a top 5-7 DT/DE when he is on!!!

Every time Seattle previously played Williams, he would terrorize Seattle!

So glad Seattle has some studs up front to compete with the elite offenses in the NFL.

This was a very necessary move to get a proven Pro Bowl player at next to nothing!

Fantastic move!

LFG!!!!

Smellyman

Reaction score
Gotta say, I'm not sold on this trade. I'm not saying I won't like it, just not 100% sold on it. Our defense is really starting to come together and this smells like a one year spendy rental. I'm not sure it'll do enough for us this year to make up for the lost picks. Hopefully I'm wrong. Either way once the deal is done, he's a Seahawk and I'll be rooting for him every week.
and if Reed gets hurt all of a sudden much different. this was much needed

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If the Seahawks felt they were in contention for premium draft position they wouldn’t have done this deal. It tells me they believe they can compete as one of the best teams in the NFC.

But also like Peters being able to help scout opposing defensive linemen/pass rushers strengths and weaknesses through all his experience (not to mention being a big time mentor for a young, roughshod Oline in which he was my pick for first Quarter of the Season MVP.)

Williams might help to do something similar. Seahawks got 3 more games against the NFC East. His experiences and knowledge playing in that division could be valuable.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
With a move like this it appears the Seahawks may be ahead of schedule. I was thinking they were going to be ready to make a SB run maybe in 2 years. or possibly next year. But it looks like they're going all in now.

Last edited:

VaHawk

Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying he may leave next year. Isn't he signed through 24? He signed a 3 year deal in 2021 didn't he?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I disagree. They're getting 10/17 (59%) of a season of an expensive player, and they're giving up some extra draft capital for his former team to cover all of the costs for him except for the veteran-minimum weekly salary times ten. And if he goes somewhere else next offseason because he gets more elsewhere than the Seahawks want to pay him, that's good for two reasons. First, for that to happen, he'll have to have played well for the Seahawks in 2023 (and possibly in the playoffs). Second, the Seahawks can get a comp pick for him, and that will reduce the net amount of draft capital spent on the whole deal.
I'm convinced... we'd be stupid NOT to make the trade.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
A has been, how much does this has been cost per year? 1.5 sacks in half a year?
If he's eating double teams that means more sacks for everyone else. Let's see how it plays out before we rush to judgment.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I can't imagine that they let him walk. Because if they do, it's awful.
I don't even really mind the trade if he walks.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep him - but I'm cool with going in on a playoff run and striking while the iron is hot. 5-2 and about to hit a crazy hard stretch on the schedule. 3rd highest SOS in the league from here until end of regular season. Beef up now and try to make a run.

They loaded up on a very young, very good core of rookies. They bought themselves a splurge of a late second rounder for a very legit defender. That's the luxury that really good drafting affords you, and that's what differentiates this move from, say, Sheldon Richardson.

But yeah. I'd want to have him under contract for a few years.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying he may leave next year. Isn't he signed through 24? He signed a 3 year deal in 2021 didn't he?
Next year is a void year (contract). So he's set to be a free agent in March.

toffee

Reaction score
Yes sir! You nailed it!! Wait, Pete is still a must fire, right?

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
A couple things I wanted to add:
1) This signing gives us depth, which will keep our DL fresher and may allow us to rest guys before the playoffs. This is a big boost to the defense regardless of how he plays.
2) Speaking of playoffs, Williams has never been in his career. I think he'll be eager to re-sign with us if we make the playoffs. He's got his money. He's hitting 30 soon. I think every playoff win makes his price lower, and we should contend for the NFC championship this year...

Chevy

Reaction score
This move makes Dre'Mont Jones a back up. Williams is 20 lbs heavier, with better length. Williams and Reed, with our secondary = sack city in the front 7!

purpleworld

Reaction score
I give this trade a ‘thumbs up’! We’re a better team now then we were 24 hours ago…that’s what matters! Compensation to the Giants of anything less would not have landed Williams, plain and simple!

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I’m sure they’re thinking extension for him as well. Possibly. Maybe not. But we’ve got Denver’s 3rd round pick - I believe they see the defense trending upward - makes sense to bolster it and get ready to dogfight. Our D will win us games - they won us a superbowl back in the day. I’ll take a top defense over a top offense any day. Ask around the nfl.

rcaido

Reaction score
2nd round pick in the last two drafts.

Mafe, Walker, and Hall

5th round

Tyreek Woolen

Seems like a lot for a rental. We would need to get passed the first round to make this worthwhile.

Fade

Reaction score
I suspect next offseason will be the offseason of restructuring contracts for players we want to keep around.
They already restructured Adams, Lockett, and Diggs. To create space for this season.

Not a lot of guys left to restructure that wouldn't have dire consequences.

I think they are going to cut/trade some guys.

Diggs/Adams/Geno create the most room if moved on from.

2024 Cap Casualty Candidates:
Diggs creates $11M in space.
Adams post JUN1 creates $16.5M in space.
Geno post JUN1 creates $22.5M in space.
Dissly creates $7M in space.
Mone creates $5.9M in space.
Love creates $5.68M in space.
Bellore creates $2.85M in space.

Upcoming Free Agents:

Defense:

Brooks
WAGNER
Leo Williams
Clark
Bush

Offense:

Lewis
Evan Brown
Parkinson
Haynes
Fant
Lock

RFAs:

Taylor
Curhan
Jackson Jr.
Rhattigan

ERFAs:

Are cheap labor and will all be retained.

We'll have a better idea of who to cut and who to keep after the season, but Geno sticks out like a sore thumb. Cutting him keeps your defense in tact, or the ability to retain a lot of your Free Agents anyway.

Sacrifice Dissly to keep the younger Parkinson and squeeze in an O-lineman with low cap in 1st year type of deals which is standard.

Mone is getting cut I think no question. That can be the budget for your RFA's.

Love might not make it, I think 1 of the 3 safeties have to go for budget reasons.