Trade DK?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I’m open for them to really trade anyone if it makes sense in the long-term. My list for trade candidates this year:

Smith, Walker, Dissly, Lockett, Dre Jones, Woolen, Diggs, maybe Love (but I have them keeping him since he’s on the cheap end for a PB caliber safety), Taylor (if he can be tagged as an RFA), plus Myers and Dickson if the return is worth it.

However, DK and Uchenna Nwosu were guys I excluded as they might make more sense next year (or perhaps in-season).

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
As much as I love the thought of what we could get for DK but we would have to hit across the board.

Not to mention I would love to see what he can be capable of in Grubbs offense.

To me it’s not worth the risk

WarHawks

Reaction score
Dk, JSN and Bobo are the future. But if DK and a couple firsts gets you the next Mahomes? You'd have to consider it.

flv2

Reaction score
So...basically restating what I said; for what purpose? Just to be argumentative? What if you read the post I was responding to (which was about creating cap space, not value)?

If DK is traded, he counts $23m against the cap while not playing for the team. If he is on the roster he counts $24.5m against the cap. Trading nets $1.5m in cap savings, and when you figure in the cap hit of a replacement the cap savings are even less. Thus my comment to the poster who was talking about creating cap space with, "Trading DK doesn't create much cap room. There would be 23m dead cap with 1.5m cap savings."

Also, I was responding to a comment about trading DK to create cap space. If you read the thread, you'll note that I commented on value in the previous post.

Again, what is the purpose of arguing when you are essentially restating what I said but just saying it in a slightly different way? I don't get posts like yours. It's insane to me that someone would argue against a factual statement.
I was posting to be informative for others, not to be argumentative with you, (or anyone else). There is $23M of money already paid to Metcalf that hasn't yet been accounted for. Keeping, cutting, or trading him doesn't change that number. All it does is change when it's accounted for. For the benefit of others I clarified how it would change. Pretty innocuous.

I doubt anyone goes back to the beginning of a thread each time they click on it. Most people will start reading from NEW posts and sometimes context from what they've read the previous visit/day/week is lost.

cheese22

Reaction score
I would absolutely dump DK for a good return even though I just bought his jersey. Why? 1) His value is pretty high right now. I think we could get some pretty good assets for him. 2) I won't say we have his replacement on the team already, but he isn't used enough for what he brings to the table. It's the same reason I don't think we should invest much in TE's. Hopefully Grubb will take better advantage of our assets at WR and TE. 3) I'm sick and tired of the stupid shit he does on the field. At his age and experience, he should be past getting baited into dumbass penalties. It has to be frustrating and a distraction for other guys. 4) There are quite a few draft targets that bring some of what DK does. Coleman, Mitchell, Franklin, and my favorite-Legette. We aren't winning the SB next year so, now is a good time to get the bookend for JSN. 5) This team has so many holes to fill that the asset acquisitions from a DK trade would be very helpful in filling a couple of them. 6) I think there is enough talent at WR to fill DK's production while a rookie pick, JSN and Bobo develop. Not to mention if they hit on a good young TE. 7) Money.

cheese22

Reaction score
Jordan Addison, Sam LaPorta, Rashee Rice, Nico Collins, Romeo Doubs, Jayden Reed, Puka Nacua, Zay Flowers, Chris Olave, George Pickens.

All are younger than DK. They all had comparable stats, some better, some just as good. And their combined salary is a couple million lower than DK's, alone.
Point is, DK's value is horrible. Some of that is the front office's fault, some is DK's, some is Pete's, some is Geno's. Not that any of those young guys have DK's attributes or potential. But, when you figure in salary, production, headaches, I'd rather have 5 or 6 of them. I would much rather overspend on a stud QB than an overvalued (headcase) WR.

bigcc

Reaction score
I would absolutely dump DK for a good return even though I just bought his jersey. Why? 1) His value is pretty high right now. I think we could get some pretty good assets for him. 2) I won't say we have his replacement on the team already, but he isn't used enough for what he brings to the table. It's the same reason I don't think we should invest much in TE's. Hopefully Grubb will take better advantage of our assets at WR and TE. 3) I'm sick and tired of the stupid shit he does on the field. At his age and experience, he should be past getting baited into dumbass penalties. It has to be frustrating and a distraction for other guys. 4) There are quite a few draft targets that bring some of what DK does. Coleman, Mitchell, Franklin, and my favorite-Legette. We aren't winning the SB next year so, now is a good time to get the bookend for JSN. 5) This team has so many holes to fill that the asset acquisitions from a DK trade would be very helpful in filling a couple of them. 6) I think there is enough talent at WR to fill DK's production while a rookie pick, JSN and Bobo develop. Not to mention if they hit on a good young TE. 7) Money.
Friendly suggestion, break your sentences up, that's a nightmare to read through. (I probably do it too much the other direction).

Some of your points are quite valid, but it's overstated by the structure of dks contract.
13 million in cap room this year isn't close to worth losing dk.

If we traded him next offseason though, 18 million for next years cap, plus similar if not same return, and not having to pay him that offseason is much more valuable.

Unless we're tanking this year (different discussion), makes more sense to at least let him finish this year out,especially since I think this years wr class is significantly more top heavy than next year's,creating a needier market.

bigcc

Reaction score
Jordan Addison, Sam LaPorta, Rashee Rice, Nico Collins, Romeo Doubs, Jayden Reed, Puka Nacua, Zay Flowers, Chris Olave, George Pickens.

All are younger than DK. They all had comparable stats, some better, some just as good. And their combined salary is a couple million lower than DK's, alone.
Point is, DK's value is horrible. Some of that is the front office's fault, some is DK's, some is Pete's, some is Geno's. Not that any of those young guys have DK's attributes or potential. But, when you figure in salary, production, headaches, I'd rather have 5 or 6 of them. I would much rather overspend on a stud QB than an overvalued (headcase) WR.
Laporta is a TE,

I notice you happened to skip gems like
Quentin Johnston 1.21
Jonathan Mingo 2.39
Marvin Mims 2.63
Jalin Hyatt 3.73
Cedric Tillman 3.74
Michael Wilson 3.94
Tre tucker 3.100

This year alone, and I skipped quite a few in the mid category.....

There's value in an established player over taking a shot in the dark. I think trading him in the end is the right move, but comparing him to guys on a rookie contract is silly.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
All of these posts about drafting a quarterback next year seem wrong to me. The Seahawks biggest needs are on both the offensive and defensive line and both safety and linebacker.
The team is on a positive path and maybe we don't need the roster churn of Pete's first year, but plenty of change is needed (Dump Jamal, re-negotiate (or dump) Diggs contract, maybe bring back Bobby Wagner as a player / on-field coach with eyes to the future)...
I hope that we will trade back and acquire some depth on the offensive and defensive line. But, if we do take an early pick, I hope it will be a safety or linebacker...not a quarterback.
We should keep our "home-grown" DK and Lockett and concentrate on filling the real needs of this team.

Last edited:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Everyone thinks Super Bowls are decided by GMs walking onto the field in February and...comparing draft collateral and salary cap numbers on a folding table at the 50-yard line. Winner gets the Lombardi.

cheese22

Reaction score
Laporta is a TE,

I notice you happened to skip gems like
Quentin Johnston 1.21
Jonathan Mingo 2.39
Marvin Mims 2.63
Jalin Hyatt 3.73
Cedric Tillman 3.74
Michael Wilson 3.94
Tre tucker 3.100

This year alone, and I skipped quite a few in the mid category.....

There's value in an established player over taking a shot in the dark. I think trading him in the end is the right move, but comparing him to guys on a rookie contract is silly.
Not exactly comparing DK to those guys. My point is that we don't have to spend a bunch on a mercurial WR. Yes, there are plenty of busts that I left off. I think, until we get an OC that will utilize DK effectively, I'd rather use the money on the glaring weaknesses. I wasn't aware of the contract situation. It sounds like it wouldn't be smart to trade him this year. I just don't like having a guy like DK around all the young guys, especially when it seems like we don't have the veteran enforcer to keep him in line.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

He's coming off of his second best year as a pro in which he amassed over 1100 yards on nearly 17 yards per catch, and this is not including his value as a deep-threat decoy. A physical Megatron clone helps the offense in more ways than individual statistics, and his individual statistics are quite good.

His value probably is not as bad as is being stated, but it's probably a bad idea to trade him because the capital would have to go into immediately replacing his production.

He's a player with several years left to provide the team and he's a completely unique and productive player with even more room to potentially grow under a new staff. We do not have issues with the cap after we get through this year - DK is one of few guys we have money in after this coming season, and he deserves the money he gets. His contract is honestly below what it could be after his 2023 year.

I've brought this comp up before, but DK's statistical comparison isn't Megatron like his physique and physical profile would hint.

It's Vincent Jackson. We should be comparing DK to VJax.

They're pretty much the same guy statistically. Premier deep threats who are going to haul in the deep stuff and maintain a very high yards per catch.

PS: A lot of guys listed on that post don't even come remotely close to DK's production. Dobbs, Addison, Reed, Flowers, and LaPorta aren't even within 200 yards. Pickens is a similar player who is similarly limited, hauled in a similar number of attempts for similar yardage, and is even more of a headcase. Olave also had a pretty identical season in terms of production, and he'll be even more expensive and also was selected 11th overall.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
I just want everyone that is saying we are in rebuild mode to remember we have a bunch of guys stashed, secondly what we seen in production from both offense and defense from players will not be the same this coming years, they will be in a completely different scheme, system, and mentality. I have yet to hear a reload, rebuild, or anything references to that from the staff as of yet. I also don't think our cap situation is as dire as we think, they have a plan and with Mac here we will get good young players that have yet to make their mark. Remember Clemons, we unloaded Tapp and Lawrence I believe, everyone was going who, and that we were crazy, we also got rid of Josh Wilson for a pittance and everyone was John is crazy he was worth so much more.

This will be a very intense kind of off season, harder for all of us due to the Seahawks not a team that leaks stuff to the media and we just don't know what's going on till it's done.

Oly

Reaction score
Mahomes is the difference. With him, you can get by with lesser WR talent so it makes sense. Without him, you need more quality at WR. The part of the Chiefs blueprint I do want to copy is by building through the OL. That was the worst part of Pete's roster construction and I'm hopeful that with coordinators who started on the line that we'll get that focus in Seattle.

I'd only want to trade DK for either multiple first or a top-10 pick plus at least a second rounder. I doubt anyone would do that trade though, so I'd rather keep him.

Hawkamaniac

Reaction score
New coaches. New philosophies. Too much uncertainty right now to bail on such a freak-talent. 2025 makes more sense. You'll have a chance to see him in the new scheme, you'll have a better idea of how the overall roster fits together, and ideally, you'll know how close you are to making a Super Bowl run. If we're still short on talent, you probably move him after the upcoming season. And if you don't, there's a real tough decision coming in 2026. Let him walk, or wrap up another $100M in a 29 year old receiver?

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Mahomes is the difference. With him, you can get by with lesser WR talent so it makes sense. Without him, you need more quality at WR. The part of the Chiefs blueprint I do want to copy is by building through the OL. That was the worst part of Pete's roster construction and I'm hopeful that with coordinators who started on the line that we'll get that focus in Seattle.

I'd only want to trade DK for either multiple first or a top-10 pick plus at least a second rounder. I doubt anyone would do that trade though, so I'd rather keep him.
The opposite is also somewhat true. You can get by with a Purdy if you have great WRs/RB and defense.

Common denominator between the Super Bowl teams - good defense - and yes mahomes was what pushed the chiefs over the top -

Seahawker

Reaction score
DK is not TO, not Randy Moss, not Megatron. The Seahawks may be under utilizing him but his biggest flaws are idiotic penalties and his me-me, feed me the ball mantra that has a negative effect on the offense. With a fresh start in a new regime, DK needs to clean things up & be an example to the younger players, he's not the only pebble on the beach and his immaturity could become an unwanted cancer.
I hope he has an attitude adjustment, IMHO he sticks this year only because we can't save any cap room trading him.
Next year could be different.
We need DK to be a leader, the rest will follow once he cleans things up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He cleaned things up long ago. Many just have decided not to notice it. You guys just want to cling on the DK is a Cancer thing. When he's not even close to that.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I've been harping on this for years. We're spending way too much of our money and draft resources on wide receivers and running backs. I wanted to trade Metcalf two years ago, and it had little to do with his behavioral problems. Good wide receivers are a dime a dozen. A similar situation exists with running backs: They're 2 down players very subject to injury.

Latest posts