Trade Kearse Discussion

Cartire

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1m5iaxzt said:
Tical21":1m5iaxzt said:
The man is responsible for the three biggest catches in franchise history. Until we have an adequate replacement that gives us a reason to replace him, he's going to continue starting.

Tyler Lockett and Chris Matthews already look more than capable of replacing him. He's good as a WR3 or WR4, but a little expensive for that.

The "three biggest catches in franchise history" line doesn't really hold much water for me. The first two were catches that any decent receiver should have made; the second came after four drops. The third was pretty awesome, yes. But it's more circumstantial value than consistent value with him. (I'm assuming you're referring to the 2013 NFCCG free play TD, the 2014 NFCCG winner, and the XLIX bouncing catch.)

Agree with this post.

Love that hes been able to catch some game winners for us, but lets not pretend that we were not in a few of those situations because of him. He has the most important catch in the 2014 NFCCG only because he had 4 (well 3, RW should never have thrown into double coverage) horrible drops and tips that turned into INTs. Its extremely easy to praise someone on the last play, but forget about all the plays leading up to it and how well he actually contributed to the game overall.

kearly

Reaction score
Thanks Rocket!

To everyone who thinks we should ditch Kearse, ask yourselves why Seattle not only signed him back, but put a RFA tag on him to keep him away from free agency. I'm not saying you have to like Kearse or his contract, or that you always have to agree with the FO. But I think we mostly accept that PC/JS are pretty smart guys right? Wouldn't they have a reason for doing it? And what would those reasons be?

joeshaney

Reaction score
Kearse is our second best reciever at the moment. What would be the point of getting rid of him?

I honestly see no benefit. Were not cash strapped. The Kam (and Bennett) situation are not due to us not having money. It's because they are under contract.

The only reason it would make any sense is if we wanted Evan Mathis. However, we can sign Mathis without cutting Kearse.

:roll:

drdiags

Reaction score
I still think the Seahawks redo his contract prior to the regular season, just like Jeron Johnson last year.

Cartire

Reaction score
kearly":390w641q said:
Thanks Rocket!

To everyone who thinks we should ditch Kearse, ask yourselves why Seattle not only signed him back, but put a RFA tag on him to keep him away from free agency. I'm not saying you have to like Kearse or his contract, or that you always have to agree with the FO. But I think we mostly accept that PC/JS are pretty smart guys right? Wouldn't they have a reason for doing it? And what would those reasons be?

They are extremely smart guys. But they have a history of bad beats when it comes to WR. Like you said, EVERYONE on the team has their weaknesses. WR is definitely Pete and Johns.

SUhawk

Reaction score
the manning broncos will gladly take kearse since he's actually a good receiver and they are pizza affiliated. Can't teach vision!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly said it perfectly.

To add to that, I really think Kearse's ability to win 50/50s compliments Russell's particular throwing style. That makes him more valuable to Russell than he might be to other quarterbacks. When Russell had Tate, who could also high-point with strong hands, Kearse was a bit more redundant. In this current group, which is overall a little deeper, Kearse's skill is more special and valuable. Of course, there are other guys in the league who can do it just as well, but I don't think we have any of them.

As much as there's reason to be excited about speed guys like Lockett and Richardson, I don't know that their ability to streak really helps Russell as much in the deep game. Russell's great, but I can't recall him ever leading a receiver open on the sideline. His high-arcing deep balls have a tendency to die at the end, and the receiver usually has to battle for the catch even when he has a step. That's fine because Russell's still quite accurate and throws a remarkably catchable ball, but it really demonstrates that Seattle has to be pretty careful about matching Wilson up with the right mix of receivers. Guys like Baldwin, Lockett, and Richardson will certainly help on short and moderately deep passes, but you still need that 50/50 guy who can convert the 40-yard bomb every once in a while. Until someone else really steps up in that regard, I think Kearse is worth that 2nd round tender to Seattle.

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFL/status/635953351545487361[/tweet]

There's a potential trade partner. Don't get me wrong I don't hate either Kearse or Baldwin. But in the end, NFL is a business.

I've listed out some reasons for and against trading Kearse.

Reasons for:
1) Packers need a playmaker
2) We need cap room.
3) Kam is holding out. Bennett is thinking about it.
4) Our #1 receiver is really Jimmy Graham.
5) We're a run oriented team.
6) We're thinking of added some additional OL help

Reasons against:
1) Kearse is really consistent
2) Good rapport w/ Russ
3) Nice hometown story
4) Proven commodity w/ playoff experience

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The obsession with Kearse given his cap hit is weird. $2.4 million? Come on guys.

jake206

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1ic27u5s said:
jake206":1ic27u5s said:

There's a potential trade partner. Don't get me wrong I don't hate either Kearse or Baldwin. But in the end, NFL is a business.

Reasons for:
2) We need cap room.

Reasons against:
2) Good rapport w/ Russ
3) Nice hometown story

Sure! Let's just help our biggest competitor in the conference! Hell, let's throw Sherman in as part of the deal so that Rodgers doesn't have to worry about throwing to that side against us in week 2! YEAH!

All kidding aside, we should never be looking to trade players to teams that will likely be in the playoffs with us.

I disagree. I think we should if we can get a decent compensation and increase our flexiblity of our salary cap. Its only another trading partner, whose not even in our same division.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The haters want his cap $2.356 million back to spend elsewhere, or fail to understand the value Pete sees in Kearse who is solid deep ball WR, but one with issues otherwise.

I agree with Kearly about Kearse who makes the tough catches look easy and fails to catch the easy ones. Kearly's above analysis is right on. When the team develops or finds a guy who can replace Kearse's contributions, like possibly BJ Daniels, Kasen Williams, or Kevin Smith, I'd not be opposed to moving on from him. I suppose it could happen but I'd be surprised if it happens until the final cuts or even after the season starts.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Kearse is the Robert Horry of the NFL when it comes to making the big play/short.

Not always fundamental and great throughout the year, but shows up when it counts.

seedhawk

Reaction score
I would compare Kearse with D Jackson. Drop or screw up the easy wide open could run for a mile throws, then follow it with something that makes all the highlight reels. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

Chawker

Reaction score
All the great WRs have dropped passes, but Kearse has a redeeming aspect to his personality, I seen him sitting on the sideline stewing about a missed catch. Its like he is thinking, I own my team mates, the fans and the coach to go out there and make a play. All I need is a chance, just one. I'm sorry folks, you just can't coach that into some players. Kearse will always redeem himself and thats why he deserves a spot on this team.
He is wired just like Baldwin, but with Baldwin his personality seems to flow out of his mouth with more regularity. 2 WRs that bring there lunch pales to work every day. I for one, are glad that they are on my team. cheers

chris98251

Reaction score
Kearse makes big plays when needed most the time, he is one of the best downfield blockers on the team that enables our running game to be successful, that is why he is here, he has a knack for grabbing catches at the highpoint as well and Wilson trusts him to go get them.

Those that want to pad your WR fantasy stats should add another one, yds. gained from blocking by a WR at Running Back.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":31umei28 said:
jake206":31umei28 said:

Reasons for:
2) We need cap room.

Reasons against:
2) Good rapport w/ Russ
3) Nice hometown story

Sure! Let's just help our biggest competitor in the conference! Hell, let's throw Sherman in as part of the deal so that Rodgers doesn't have to worry about throwing to that side against us in week 2! YEAH!

All kidding aside, we should never be looking to trade players to teams that will likely be in the playoffs with us.

I had to swallow my vomit at the thought of helping the fudge packers.... :roll:

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
jake206":3mr1ykfd said:
peachesenregalia":3mr1ykfd said:
jake206":3mr1ykfd said:

Reasons for:
2) We need cap room.

Reasons against:
2) Good rapport w/ Russ
3) Nice hometown story

I disagree. I think we should if we can get a decent compensation and increase our flexiblity of our salary cap. Its only another trading partner, whose not even in our same division.

mj-laughing.gif

UB1eV

AgentDib

Reaction score
Obviously the "trade a player you don't like for something you do like" fan mentality isn't confined to Kearse. It will really pick up over the next week as fans look at all the players we will be cutting and start figuring how to bundle 10 of them together in return for Alex Mack. Pipe dreams are unavoidable and don't cause any harm; just take them with a grain of salt.

As for Kearse specifically I agree with kearly that you should treat the RFA tender as information; they thought he was worth 2.4 million at the time. What has happened since then to change his value? Maybe you think Kasen or Kevin Smith have shown enough to earn a roster spot. If they're not contributing in the same area as Kearse, however, then they aren't substitutes. Make the case for who you think is ready to provide what Kearse provides.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":3k4amy1a said:
jake206":3k4amy1a said:
peachesenregalia":3k4amy1a said:
jake206":3k4amy1a said:

Reasons for:
2) We need cap room.

Reasons against:
2) Good rapport w/ Russ
3) Nice hometown story

mj-laughing.gif

UB1eV

Careful. This sort of response can apparently get you banned these days.

Boom84

Reaction score
kearly":31g26kbv said:
....That doesn't mean I want Kearse to be a Seahawk for life. I am fine with moving on from him right now, if I felt the rest of our WR corps could make his deep route skill expendable. But as I see it, the other WRs are still a long way from making that a reality.

That's the truest statement here. It's on the other receivers to demonstrate the deep threat ability and consistency to force the team's hand. Thus far the other receivers on the team have not.