Trade Kearse Discussion

olyfan63

Reaction score
Kearly brought up the "red line" downfield skills aspect...
Others have mentioned Kearse's run blocking...
He's also a beast on Special Teams. Anyone remember his punt block against Dallas a couple years ago?
Pete loves guys that ball out on Special Teams. Definitely Kearse.

I confess, I was feeling like 2.4 was a little steep for Kearse. When you look at his overall value though, it seems right about fair. Also, the team has a history of rewarding guys that really come through at key times. Definitely Kearse.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
Tical21":mh4c4l18 said:
The man is responsible for the three biggest catches in franchise history. Until we have an adequate replacement that gives us a reason to replace him, he's going to continue starting.

As he should, if we won the SB last year Kearse would not be touchable for a trade.

Rob12

Reaction score
Tical21":1txv40vc said:
The man is responsible for the three biggest catches in franchise history. Until we have an adequate replacement that gives us a reason to replace him, he's going to continue starting.

Agreed, Tical. And quite frankly, I am a bit embarrassed that so many Seahawks fans take this position with Kearse. He has shown up big time in clutch situations. I mean, the last play of the SB aside, is there any other receiver on the team that makes that circus catch to get us in that position to begin with?

Threads like this are why players have moved away from "loyalty." Fans sure don't have it.

Kearse makes our receiving corps better, and Russ trusts the hell out of him on the deep ball. That can't be enough?

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
It's amazing to me how wildly overrated a guy that averages 2.5 catches a game and ~35 yards a game with 1 TD last year is. All while be completely inconsistent. His DVOA was -9% last year meaning he's far below an average receiver. Also had a catch rate of 55% which is tied for 67th out of 87 players that had at least 50 targets. I wouldn't bat an eye to see him cut and money spent elsewhere. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if it happens.

And sure he has 3 big catches in our history, but as they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I like him and appreciate him and would like him on the team, but he's not worth the $2.5 million price tag.

Rob12

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1k3rjyn8 said:
Kearse is the Robert Horry of the NFL when it comes to making the big play/short.

Not always fundamental and great throughout the year, but shows up when it counts.

LOL, that's so perfect and true.

People need to get off the "get rid of Kearse" bandwagon. It's really getting stale.

Seafan

Reaction score
RW needs wide open targets he can see and Kearse last year fit that bill to a degree. But he dropped passes too.

This season he's likely to be targetted a lot less with Graham, Baldwin and Lockett getting the most of the targets since they get wide open. And with Beast getting the check downs Kearse won't be getting a lot which should please the haters.

I just want to see first downs and touch downs and wins. I don't care who makes them. The Green Bay game was likely the most pissed off I've ever been as a Seahawk fan in 39 years and also the most elated. I just want to win and I hated Kearse that day and loved him more than words can say.

Rob12

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":10scokt9 said:
It's amazing to me how wildly overrated a guy that averages 2.5 catches a game and ~35 yards a game with 1 TD last year is. All while be completely inconsistent. His DVOA was -9% last year meaning he's far below an average receiver. Also had a catch rate of 55% which is tied for 67th out of 87 players that had at least 50 targets. I wouldn't bat an eye to see him cut and money spent elsewhere. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if it happens.

And sure he has 3 big catches in our history, but as they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I like him and appreciate him, but he's not worth the price tag.

Overrated? You are exaggerating to strengthen your position and that is nothing more than intellectually dishonest.

NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE here is overrating Kearse. He's a No. 3 or No. 4 receiver. We all know that. But the point is that he has made some absolutely ridiculous clutch catches, and our $87M QB trusts him on the deep ball. And with a guy like Graham in the offense, Kearse's explosive plays will likely go up. Don't sleep on a QB's trust... Because Kearse has it in spades with Russ, and that's extremely important.

You can't say you like him and appreciate him and then call him "wildly overrated" when no one here is calling him nothing more than he is.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Rob12":20adprr7 said:
SeaToTheHawks":20adprr7 said:

Overrated? You are exaggerating to strengthen your position and that is nothing more than intellectually dishonest.

NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE here is overrating Kearse. He's a No. 3 or No. 4 receiver. We all know that. But the point is that he has made some absolutely ridiculous clutch catches, and our $87M QB trusts him on the deep ball. And with a guy like Graham in the offense, Kearse's explosive plays will likely go up. Don't sleep on a QB's trust... Because Kearse has it in spades with Russ, and that's extremely important.

You can't say you like him and appreciate him and then call him "wildly overrated" when no one here is calling him nothing more than he is.

So you think a #3 or #4 receiver is worth of $2.5 million? I don't. That's all I'm saying.

Rob12

Reaction score
chris98251":t7nosc49 said:
Kearse makes big plays when needed most the time, he is one of the best downfield blockers on the team that enables our running game to be successful, that is why he is here, he has a knack for grabbing catches at the highpoint as well and Wilson trusts him to go get them.

Those that want to pad your WR fantasy stats should add another one, yds. gained from blocking by a WR at Running Back.

Can we all just agree to let this be this be the view of the board? No one overrates Kearse. But Chris (and kearly) have nailed it here, and there's nothing more to see. Jermaine Kearse isn't going anywhere.

If you're on the trade or cut Kearse bandwagon, really read the part in the quote I bolded above. Please.

Rob12

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":1lksfahr said:
Rob12":1lksfahr said:
SeaToTheHawks":1lksfahr said:

So you think a #3 or #4 receiver is worth of $2.5 million? I don't. That's all I'm saying.

I think OUR view of what a No. 3 or No. 4 receiver is absolutely and 100 percent irrelevant. PC and JS deem him worth that price, and he has a very visible trusting relationship with our franchise QB. That's all I'm saying.

There's another team out there that would be happy to pay Kearse a cap hit of $2.3M. I'd rather it be us.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Kearse isn't a typical receiver but the Hawks aren't a typical team either. His tendency to show up has proven important time and time again. I also really like his strength. He's probably one of the strongest receivers in the entire league.

I also think it's just too early to replace Kearse. Baldwin is our obvious #1 guy there but nobody other than Kearse has proven themselves enough to start every week. Lockett and Matthews both flashed superstar potential but we have no clue whether they can perform like this every other week or are performances like that something they can only pull off once every 5 games? Richardson is an obvious candidate to become a starter but he's also still young and he's still recovering from an injury. I doubt guys like Lockette and Norwood will reach Kearse' level anytime soon (I'm simply not that impressed by them as receivers, they show very little upside). Kasen Williams, Kevin Smith and BJ Daniels are all interesting prospects but more of a practice squad type than actual starter potential right off the bat.

We have a very talented but young receiver group. I could see Lockett, Matthews and Richardson all passing Kearse in the pecking order next year but not just yet. We still need him for at least one year.

drdiags

Reaction score
As far as trading Kearse, I'm not sure what type of market value he has. It would be a 7th rounder, maybe a 6th is my WAG.

And again, Kearse's RFA contract reminds me of Jeron Johnson and Chris Maragos. Neither of those guys entered the season with the contract they were tendered at. Probably helped both decide to move on afterwards. I got the feeling Maragos was none too happy when he was given the choice to reduce his RFA contract or be cut right before the season started. I forget the timelne with Johnson.

I also remember Baldwin refusing to sign his tender until the Seahawks put a deal in front of him for a 2 yr extension. The Seahawks value Kearse, since he is a starter but I defer until the season start before saying he is destined to play for $2.5M this year.

And no, I don't fret over what he is currently scheduled to make. I am just looking at how the Seattle FO operate before I would cast Kearse's contract in stone.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":39ft4rgc said:
Pete and John. That's all I'm saying.

Besides, he's a starter here, not a #3 or #4

bmorepunk

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":id8800d4 said:
seahawk12thman":id8800d4 said:
mj-laughing.gif

UB1eV

Careful. This sort of response can apparently get you banned these days.

I disagree.

kearly

Reaction score
Cartire":1wie0xh8 said:
They are extremely smart guys. But they have a history of bad beats when it comes to WR. Like you said, EVERYONE on the team has their weaknesses. WR is definitely Pete and Johns.

As said before, the point of Kearse's value to PC/JS isn't really about him being "good" or "bad" in a broad sense, or about rewarding his past clutch catches, but about specific skills and how badly our offense needs them. Kearse is not a good WR, but he provides a crucial deep ball utility for Russell that has yet to be replaced.

As far as the subject of PC/JS and WRs, I think they've played their hand pretty well honestly. The Harvin trade is their only glaring mistake at the position, and that was not a case of poor talent evaluation. They overpaid Rice, but I'd rather them overpay to the tune of 8 APY for Rice than say 10 APY for Greg Jennings or 13 APY for Mike Wallace. Free agent WRs tend to be landmines. Rice was a high upside gamble for moderately high cost. In the end Rice was a nice player for us, even if he wasn't worth all the money.

I think PC/JS have drafted fairly well at WR when you consider the options and alternatives they had available to them. It's easy to get OBJ or Mike Evans when they fall to your high first round pick. Its another thing to identity good values among second and third tier WRs who also fit your offensive philosophy. Basically, it's not easy to draft a #1 WR when you are picking so late every year.

Golden was a home run pick in 2010. Baldwin was a home run in UDFA. Richardson looked like a guy that could transform the passing offense before he went down with injury. Matthews came pretty close to being Super Bowl MVP. Lockett has looked superb so far. And back in 2010, they actually made Mike Williams look like a good WR.

I think the talent evaluation at WR has been pretty strong. What could undermine that group is how they might not jive with a sandlot QB who hates throwing interceptions and who misses more than his fair share of open WRs. Striking chemistry with Russ is really hard to do. Kearse has found that elusive chemistry when he's running deep down the field. Richardson seemed to have it on short stuff last year. Miller had it on scramble plays. Sometimes Baldwin would too.

It's also worth noting that in 2012 and 2013, Seahawks' WRs had some of the best value per target in the NFL. We've all seen Golden's production blow up when he went to a team that threw more. I think it would be the same for a few other Hawks WRs too.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I was getting ready to go on a tirade about how stupid it would be to trade Kearly...never mind...

King Dog

Reaction score
I just parsed this thread, but we're tripping over 2.5M? I don't know. If Kearse is good enough to make the team he will make it, if he's not, he won't.

I haven't seen anyone in preseason that looks to be competing for Kearse's job yet though. Looks like a lock.

themunn

Reaction score
Did you know that Kearse had a lower drop rate than Baldwin, Lockette, Lynch, Moeaki, Helfet and Willson last year? Oh, and Jimmy Graham.