Trimming the fat.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Steve2222":cgoobhc3 said:
Hasselbeck":cgoobhc3 said:
People actually wanting to let go of Bennett and Kam make me happy they're not GM.

And people who can't make difficult decisions which it appears you don't possess make me happy they're not GMs either.

If you think the problem of this team lies with the best pass rusher on the team and best SS in football, my point is pretty much confirmed.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1w1xxid6 said:
Steve2222":1w1xxid6 said:
Hasselbeck":1w1xxid6 said:
People actually wanting to let go of Bennett and Kam make me happy they're not GM.

And people who can't make difficult decisions which it appears you don't possess make me happy they're not GMs either.

If you think the problem of this team lies with the best pass rusher on the team and best SS in football, my point is pretty much confirmed.

We have 8 players on our roster currently being paid at the top 5 of their position. Are you not seeing the effects of that in our depth, OL, and CBs? We have two malcontents on our roster who are currently being paid good money. If they don't want to be here, we can use that money going their way to oh I don't know, maybe our piss poor OL.

Who is the best franchise in football? The Patriots right? You realize they move on from great players all the time. How do they continue their sustained success? They make difficult decisions and rehaul their roster while maintaining competitiveness.

It's become quite apparent we can't live off signing all our key players. Losing role players like Clem, Red, Tate, Clinton McDonald, Malcolm Smith, Tony McDaniel, Breno Giacommini, Thurmond, etc etc throughout the years has finally taken a toll.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Steve2222":j3t99ny8 said:
We have 8 players on our roster currently being paid at the top 5 of their position. Are you not seeing the effects of that in our depth, OL, and CBs? We have two malcontents on our roster who are currently being paid good money. If they don't want to be here, we can use that money going their way to oh I don't know, maybe our piss poor OL.

Who is the best franchise in football? The Patriots right? You realize they move on from great players all the time. How do they continue their sustained success? They make difficult decisions and rehaul their roster while maintaining competitiveness.

It's become quite apparent we can't live off signing all our key players. Losing role players like Clem, Red, Tate, Clinton McDonald, Malcolm Smith, Tony McDaniel, Breno Giacommini, Thurmond, etc etc throughout the years has finally taken a toll.

The Patriots stay great because they have excellent coaching and arguably the best QB in the game.. if not the best then no worse than 2nd.

You make it sound like there are a bunch of perennial pro-bowlers in the open market on the offensive line. Look around the league, at least 20 teams have offensive lines that are terrible. It's not the 90's anymore, it's very hard to build up an OL. And next to impossible to do that via FA, because the good OL are either getting ridiculous contracts or they are being drafted early ... and then getting ridiculous contracts.

That 2013 team had the amazing luxury of having a standout QB, standout MLB, best corner in football, best safety in football, best SS in football, and good WR's on cheap contracts. I miss that Super Bowl team too, but that just doesn't happen any more. The salary cap won't allow it.

So again, I don't see what cutting Bennett and Kam solves, unless we are conceding that this is no longer a championship roster and starting to do a rebuild. And crappy start aside, its way too early to talk rebuild IMO.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":151ku0f8 said:
Hasselbeck":151ku0f8 said:
Steve2222":151ku0f8 said:
Hasselbeck":151ku0f8 said:

Who is the best franchise in football? The Patriots right? You realize they move on from great players all the time. How do they continue their sustained success? They make difficult decisions and rebuild their roster while maintaining competitive.
Steve..The Patriots cheat thats how they have stayed in it while mini rebuilding.You also talk so much offense how it needs $$$ or whatever and the D takes up too much $$$.However you won't shine the light on our 22 million dollar gadget QB and there is where a big chunk of $$$ lies that could go to more WR and OL that you want.Sure you want to cut our pro bowlers on D so we can be this scoring offense that don't go far if in the playoffs.OL takes time to build and sure we need to draft more and hit on keepers.WR we got JG and a upcoming rookie and others but our QB is not Erin so dunno if more WR does crap.The season is not over so lets see a few more games before running all our best players off.GO HAWKS!!!

Steve2222

Reaction score
:177692:
IndyHawk":eeeym374 said:
Steve..The Patriots cheat thats how they have stayed in it while mini rebuilding.You also talk so much offense how it needs $$$ or whatever and the D takes up too much $$$.However you won't shine the light on our 22 million dollar gadget QB and there is where a big chunk of $$$ lies that could go to more WR and OL that you want.Sure you want to cut our pro bowlers on D so we can be this scoring offense that don't go far if in the playoffs.OL takes time to build and sure we need to draft more and hit on keepers.WR we got JG and a upcoming rookie and others but our QB is not Erin so dunno if more WR does crap.The season is not over so lets see a few more games before running all our best players off.GO HAWKS!!!

Ugh claiming the Patriots as cheaters is such a loser mentality to have. You're still holding on to XL too aren't you.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":10c4hngc said:
Steve2222":10c4hngc said:

The Patriots stay great because they have excellent coaching and arguably the best QB in the game.. if not the best then no worse than 2nd.

You make it sound like there are a bunch of perennial pro-bowlers in the open market on the offensive line. Look around the league, at least 20 teams have offensive lines that are terrible. It's not the 90's anymore, it's very hard to build up an OL. And next to impossible to do that via FA, because the good OL are either getting ridiculous contracts or they are being drafted early ... and then getting ridiculous contracts.

That 2013 team had the amazing luxury of having a standout QB, standout MLB, best corner in football, best safety in football, best SS in football, and good WR's on cheap contracts. I miss that Super Bowl team too, but that just doesn't happen any more. The salary cap won't allow it.

So again, I don't see what cutting Bennett and Kam solves, unless we are conceding that this is no longer a championship roster and starting to do a rebuild. And crappy start aside, its way too early to talk rebuild IMO.

Not at all. If the team is going to fall off because Bennett and Kam are no longer on the team, than the team was seriously flawed to begin with. With the right additions to the team, they will be right back in the thick of things next year. Bottom line, if you don't want to be here, than leave. It's clear Bennett, Kam, and Irvin don't want to be here. And you're looking through rose colored fan lens if you think otherwise.

And I'm not talking strictly free agency for OL. You can't say with a straight face that this team has made an attempt to improve the OL. They have completely neglected it, hell they haven't even put a band aid on it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":2ejwaq2u said:
:177692:
IndyHawk":2ejwaq2u said:

Ugh claiming the Patriots as cheaters is such a loser mentality to have. You're still holding on to XL too aren't you.
I'm basing it off their history of doing so and getting caught multiple times.Could give a crap less about XL .The loser mentality to me is being in denial over facts.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
We've played good football when we've lost talent. This was supposed to be one of our most talented team, less the O line. Our front seven is supposed to be the best in the PC era. It's been said quite a few times but DBs losing Richard to be our DC and Quinn and Norton gone has really hurt us.

I liked the offense USC ran in the OOs. I formation, great use of TEs, explosive plays and good rhythm. Maybe we bring in Sark next year. Bo Davis (D line) or Kirby Smart (LB/DC) out of Alabama look impressive. Looking like it's time for the coaching staff to "gel" for this thing to work.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Most Likely Gone:

Lynch: I hope BeastMode retires and does not get forced out. The guy is a Seahawks legend. IMO the greatest Seahawks RB in franchise history.
Okung: Not worth it. Was decent his first couple of seasons, made a Pro Bowl.
Kearse: Made some really memorable catches. I'm a UW guy and I'll miss him but he is ill suited for anything other than scramble plays.
Mebane: Bane will most likely be gone next year. Long time Hawk. I've always liked Bane. Hope he retires rather than go somewhere else.
Cary Williams: Later alligator.
Ricardo Lockette: Love him as a gunner, happy he's won a ring and had some catches.
Gilliam: Gone
Britt: Gone
Nowak: Gone

Bubble:

Michael Bennett: The guy can be the best lineman for the Hawks but I can see the Hawks going younger and playing Frank Clark.
Cliff Avril: Dont know how long Avril will last. Health wise I can see him retiring as well.
Irvin: I am an Irvin fan. I hope he can stay and make more of an impact but he is too inconsistent for a first rounder.
Graham: Again, I'm a Graham fan but this front office has the balls to count their losses and let pieces go that we think are core pieces.

Core Must Retain:

Wilson
Sherm
Thomas
Chancellor
Baldwin
Lockett
Clark
Marsh
Hill
Sweezy
Wagner
Wright
Rawls

This would free up a ton of cap room and allow hungrier young guys their opportunity to prove themselves. And almost everyone else other than Haushka and Jon Ryan are expendable.

What say you?

2_0_6

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":38dx2olm said:
Most Likely Gone:

What say you?

Although I agree this line is horrible, at the same time I don't think sending everyone packing and only keeping Sweezy is the best idea. Olines can take quite some time to gel together, and replacing 4 of 5 starters in a single off season is a bit of a stretch IMO.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":34kxgazp said:
TheLegendOfBoom":34kxgazp said:
Most Likely Gone:

What say you?

Although I agree this line is horrible, at the same time I don't think sending everyone packing and only keeping Sweezy is the best idea. Olines can take quite some time to gel together, and replacing 4 of 5 starters in a single off season is a bit of a stretch IMO.
I know, right! It's crazy to do that but man, I wouldn't be surprised if they did so.

They might draft 4/5 of an entire college starting line. Okay, that's a stretch but how about 2/5 of a teams line? I can see that!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'd get rid of the following:

Gilliam
Nowak
Sweezy
Britt

Keep Okung....he's the best lineman on the team...it's not saying much but he's the most irreplaceable guy on the OL. The rest are expendable.

On defense,
drop Rubin
drop Marsh
drop Wright
drop Williams

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2r8znuba said:
I'd get rid of the following:

Gilliam
Nowak
Sweezy
Britt

Keep Okung....he's the best lineman on the team...it's not saying much but he's the most irreplaceable guy on the OL. The rest are expendable.

On defense,
drop Rubin
drop Marsh
drop Wright
drop Williams
You wouldn't keep Wright?

He's done more right than wrong.

Did you see what I did there?! Lol.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3k606pa2 said:
You just named the two players that are arguably still playing their guts out the hardest on D, along with Earl.

If I'm trimming the fat on D, I'm going with Sherman and Wagner. Neither has played up to their contract, especially Sherman. Dude looks like hot garbage right now. Wagner? Idk, he's ok, but not close to his 2013/2014 form.

Our D-line would be in big trouble right now without Bennett. Stupid offsides and personal foul penalties aside, he's been the most consistent D-lineman making plays.

Wagner? That's actually surprising. Aside from Kuechly, I think he's the best inside linebacker in the game. He's on pace for a pretty good season, is only 25, and just got paid. If history tells us anything, this defense does not perform well when he's out. Yesterday was evidence of that. Carolina ran the ball at will on us, just like teams did last season when Wagner was out. I think aside from Earl, he's the most important player on the defense.

If you look at his numbers, he's on pace for the same type of seasons he had in 2013/14.

I'm puzzled with Sherman. It does seem like he's a lot less vocal and he's getting beat much more frequently than in year's past. I still don't like the idea of him not being a Hawk, though.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":k67joh0m said:
Steve2222":k67joh0m said:
If I were the GM in the offseason....

- Work a trade or flat out release Bennett. He's cancer.

Please explain to me how Bennett continues to be a cancer. He said in the offseason that he wanted more money (note: lots of players do this every year). He showed up to camp on time, shut up about his contract (when asked about it in interviews he says he should be paid more but he has NOT brought it up on his own), and has played his ass off. He has been almost unblockable at times. He is ultra aggressive, which is why you get the stupid penalties, but you have to take a little of the bad with the great.

NONE, I repeat NONE of this displays that he is a cancer to this team. This team needs Bennett, and if it came down to it I'd keep him over Kam based on what Kam did to torpedo this season with his holdout.

I just don't know if he has that team mentality. It was painful to watch him interrupt Kam's interview, and he called Paul Allen out in the process. I just don't think that's conducive to the always compete and team mentality that has been implemented here. Now of course some will say lighten up, that's just Bennett, but he has a voice in that locker room and I am not entirely sure that it's a helpful one. I could be dead wrong on that, but these players on defense have been paid. Keeping your hand out in the early stages of a contract is not something that I want to see being tolerated going forward. I know not many like him, but do we think Belicheck would tolerate that constant "me" attitude? No, he wouldn't. And look at the results he gets, and listen to the players talk about him and that organization. We need more of that here, whether that's a popular opinion here or not.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":35cc2w5p said:

How is this helpful?

If you disagree, fine. This team is absolutely loaded with talent but has lost five out of their past seven games (including the SB). We have glaring weaknesses in key positions and the money is not there to upgrade it without some tough decisions having to be made. I think the defense will struggle a bit without these two players, but the gains elsewhere could be worth it. And both of these players are hell bent on making more money right now when they're both not even halfway through their current contracts.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2keubn8p said:
Steve2222":2keubn8p said:
Hasselbeck":2keubn8p said:

How do you know it's not the problem? I'm not saying it is, but how do you know?

I was at the game yesterday. I watched the secondary on the sidelines. They're not the same towards each other. They're not the same towards each other on the field, and they're not the same towards each other on the sidelines. Earl is widely regarded as the most valuable asset of our secondary, and he is visibly pissed. He says there is no communication. He says there is a lot wish he could say, but can't. I am trying to read between the lines, but am not saying my assumptions are right. I think Kam's holdout had a devastating effect to the brotherhood that once was. I remember not long ago when he said him and Kam hadn't talked in a month during the holdout. Earl seems like the type that would take something like that hard.

Maybe Kam is turning a corner. He's been talking on social media lately about taking a look in the mirror.

Maybe he's not the problem. But if he's going to put his contract above the team, and what this could be for years to come, then he can go.

Latest posts