Trimming the fat.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
hawknation2015":19krdsio said:
Sorry, you don't give up two of your best players and expect to get better.

You could absolutely be right.

What did you think of Earl's comments yesterday following the game? Or this summer, when asked about Kam's holdout?

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
hawknation2015":28aybxt0 said:
Sorry, you don't give up two of your best players and expect to get better.

And, are we good with rolling with this offensive line for next season? Because without some hard decisions being made, there's no money to bring in some talent.

massari

Reaction score
Only way I'd trade Chancellor is if he threatens to hold out again.

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3v19156i said:
People actually wanting to let go of Bennett and Kam make me happy they're not GM.

I agree with you about Kam (since they don't have a good replacement and he's the best SS) but if Frank Clark starts to show his potential I'd love them to trade Bennett for a high draft pick (2nd maybe?) and spend his money towards OL/CB.

Or Even if Clark doesn't show anything, if they can sign a Muhammad Wilkerson esque DE then trade Bennett for a pick, I'd be happy with that. Even though Wilkerson would probably have more of a cap hit then Bennett.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":330mr96g said:
KJ has a $3mil dead money cap hit if he was released..

I didn't realize the dead money involved. I'm not suggesting to drop Wright due to performance, my thinking was strictly finances. I think he's more expendable than guys like Bennett, Kam, Thomas, Wagner, and Sherman. We saw what the team looked like without Kam for the first two games....it wasn't pretty. Without Sherman or Thomas, the secondary would be worse. Wagner is the best LB on the team....bar none. Bennett is the best DL on the team and their only consistent pass rusher. Thus someone had to go to clear up some $ room. That's why KJ is most expendable, he does a lot of things well but isn't exceptional.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Everyone says "spend money on OL!" as though it's so easy to find an entire OL in FA. Or at least impact pieces.

Evan Mathis was seen as a possible match made in heaven and he's been pretty subpar in Denver.

Go look at the 2016 free agents and point out realistic options to fix this OL. I hate to break it to you guys, but the pickings are slim when it comes to quality and affordability.

The only way this OL gets repaired is via the draft and hitting a home run on a bargain bin FA like we did with Breno.

Our depth on the DL isn't what it's cracked up to be either. Clark could be a great player, but he's not yet. Marsh is still pretty average at best. Hill can't stay healthy. Mebane is getting old and is going to probably leave in FA next year anyway.

A lot of the secondary's issues right now begin and end with a DL that's not getting to the QB when it matters the most. So how does removing the best DL and the best SS help either of those issues?

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":4fq0bu1f said:
Everyone says "spend money on OL!" as though it's so easy to find an entire OL in FA. Or at least impact pieces.

Evan Mathis was seen as a possible match made in heaven and he's been pretty subpar in Denver.

Go look at the 2016 free agents and point out realistic options to fix this OL. I hate to break it to you guys, but the pickings are slim when it comes to quality and affordability.

The only way this OL gets repaired is via the draft and hitting a home run on a bargain bin FA like we did with Breno
Evan Mathis is ranked 11th best Gaurd in the NFL this season by PFF. https://twitter.com/PFF/status/655026888688193540

OL free agents they could target are RT-Joe Barksdale, G-Mathis, G-Incognito, C-Wisniewski, RT-Andre Smith. I'm sure there has to be more but not going to look into the whole list of FA OL.

I'd like to go into next season with a few of those guys+Okung+a couple high OL draft picks protecting Wilson.

Not only would Bennett free up cap space to add some FA OL, but he'd give another high draft pick (2nd?) to select a OL/CB/DL.

But yeah, Frank Clark has to show something before the season ends for me to feel good about trading Bennett.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
massari":2t5m4z73 said:
Hasselbeck":2t5m4z73 said:

The only way this OL gets repaired is via the draft and hitting a home run on a bargain bin FA like we did with Breno
Evan Mathis is ranked 11th best Gaurd in the NFL this season by PFF. https://twitter.com/PFF/status/655026888688193540

OL free agents they could target are RT-Joe Barksdale, G-Mathis, G-Incognito, C-Wisniewski, RT-Andre Smith. I'm sure there has to be more but not going to look into the whole list of FA OL.

I wish I could chuckle at the fact we took Britt over Gabe Jackson in that draft, but I can't.

Britt, Round 2, Pick 32: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:2
Jackson, Round 3, Pick 17: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:3

Steve2222

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":8a29yv87 said:

The only way this OL gets repaired is via the draft and hitting a home run on a bargain bin FA like we did with Breno.

Our depth on the DL isn't what it's cracked up to be either. Clark could be a great player, but he's not yet. Marsh is still pretty average at best. Hill can't stay healthy. Mebane is getting old and is going to probably leave in FA next year anyway.

A lot of the secondary's issues right now begin and end with a DL that's not getting to the QB when it matters the most. So how does removing the best DL and the best SS help either of those issues?

No one is arguing the fact that Bennett and Kam are great to elite talents. You're acting like its unprecedented a team not retaining great players. Do you think the Patriots thought they were better off without Revis?

And I'm not saying strictly the FA market for OL. I'm well aware you just can't magically make a good OL appear. But you still haven't answered my question. Do you feel the Seahawks have made any legitimate attempt to improve their OL?

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
There's ways to improve the line. College teams aren't churning out enough NFL quality linemen. The way to improve it is through FA. I know this isn't Madden, but a couple pieces could be brought in. This line is not cutting it in the run game or pass protection. We can't sustain drives to save our life. Do we just sit back and repeat the process next year, and expect different results? Russ is taking shot after shot this season and psychologically it's obviously had a big effect.

The days of getting by with a poor line are over. I think this season so far is proof enough.

mrt144

Reaction score
Rob12":ly0f4774 said:
There's ways to improve the line. College teams aren't churning out NFL quality linemen. The way to improve it is through FA. I know this isn't Madden, but a couple pieces could be brought in. This line is not cutting it in the run game or pass protection. We can't sustain drives to save our life. Do we just sit back and repeat the process next year, and expect different results? Russ is taking shot after shot this season and psychologically it's obviously had a big effect.

The days of getting by with a poor line are over. I think this season so far is proof enough.

Colleges aren't turning out NFL quality linemen available where we are selecting OL, that much is true. It's hard to argue that they don't exist at all or in sufficient quantity that every team should be suffering like we do. No, we are taking an obviously different approach to the whole thing and seeing how it varies from even the pitiful traditional approaches is disheartening.

Unfortunately fixing the line through a few FA acquisitions runs contra to the philosophy of the team build and cap management so they may change that in this offseason but it would be a sea change in front office operations.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
massari":1s9b48ac said:
Hasselbeck":1s9b48ac said:

Evan Mathis is ranked 11th best Gaurd in the NFL this season by PFF https://twitter.com/PFF/status/655026888688193540

PFF is as reliable a source for information as Incarcerated Bob. I've watched a lot of Denver games this year and while their line has gotten better, it's still a mess. The Broncos can't run the ball and they are having a hard time protecting Peyton. Mathis is better than Britt sure, just saying he wouldn't have been the savior to this season as everyone thinks.

The best option I see in FA is Alex Boone, and I'm sure he's about to get paid. So I mean again, it will have to be via the draft and a fortunate hit in FA on a bargain bin player like we got with Giacomini.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I once heard that Campbell's vegetable soup had something like 15-20 vegetables in their soup, and now they only have 4-5. They kept taking away vegetables until people noticed, then put back the last vegetable.

This is what I feel about the Seahawks O-Line. They kept letting it get worse and worse and worse. This year it finally took its toll. Time to put back that last vegetable.

And no I don't mean bring back Carp, Giacomini or Unger. I just mean time to bring back some quality and/or real focus.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Rob12":2afjxf5l said:
There's ways to improve the line. College teams aren't churning out enough NFL quality linemen.

This is half true really. They're not churning out a ton of them, not like a skill position anyway.. but they are still there to be had. It's just they don't fit what Cable wants to do.

I think at some point, you have to look strongly into hiring an OL coach that can coach up the talent entering the league that is sitting there in rounds 1-3 instead of continually passing them up for a DT that you plan to switch over.

In the 2015 draft alone.. in the first 3 rounds there are quite a few guys that would be better than the crap we have now.
- Laken Tomlinson
- Mitch Morse
- Jake Fisher
- Ty Sambralio
- Ali Marpet

Hawks46

Reaction score
Tical21":3d5lvv8t said:
No way!! I can't imagine life without Michael Bennett. IF Clark has a strong rest of the season, I'm okay with it I guess, as we haven't been able to draft anyone else to replace anybody for several years, but Kam? We saw what life was like without Kam. Who are you going to replace him with? Unfortunately, until we can hit on some guys in the draft, we don't have the luxury of cutting our best players.

I'd say Shead can fill in admirably. He did it vs. GB and did pretty well, and it stands to reason he'd only get better full time at SS with full practice and game reps.

Kam hasn't been Kam either. The initial reaction was "whoah, Kam comes back and we get a shutout!" but no one is taking into consideration the quality (or lack thereof) of the opponent. Vs. Cincinnati and vs. Carolina, our defense hasn't looked any better than the first two games of the year.

The biggest difference is something that Kam brought up: Kam is getting paid as the best SS in the league right now, and he's not playing like it. Shead is much cheaper, for the price he's actually bringing similar value.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":14k4pz59 said:
Rob12":14k4pz59 said:
There's ways to improve the line. College teams aren't churning out enough NFL quality linemen.

This is half true really. They're not churning out a ton of them, not like a skill position anyway.. but they are still there to be had. It's just they don't fit what Cable wants to do.

I think at some point, you have to look strongly into hiring an OL coach that can coach up the talent entering the league that is sitting there in rounds 1-3 instead of continually passing them up for a DT that you plan to switch over.

In the 2015 draft alone.. in the first 3 rounds there are quite a few guys that would be better than the crap we have now.
- Laken Tomlinson
- Mitch Morse
- Jake Fisher
- Ty Sambralio
- Ali Marpet

It's the only way this will be functional given the lack of desire to retain in house OL talent. Honestly, if we're burning through OL players every 3 years by design, there is so much to be desired. I feel like they went the opposite direction where they realized, "hey, if we aren't going to resign any OL talent we draft, we aren't going to put much draft capital into it anyway"