Turbin at fullback for now

kidhawk

Reaction score
King Dog":1c5s9jkr said:
I think I'm with the majority here. It would be cool if Turbin suprised and was a good fit af FB long term. I'm not holding my breath, but not many FB's out there running a 4.4 and as agile as Turbin.

I'm not sure about your definition of long term in this instance. I don't know if I'd want Turbin to be our FB past this season. I think that given our roster situation, that we could get away with using him at FB and using our Roster to help with depth in other areas of our game right now. I'd need to see a LOT more out of Turbin at the position before I called on him to move there permanently.

OP
OP
K

King Dog

Reaction score
kidhawk":2ehxbb54 said:
King Dog":2ehxbb54 said:
I think I'm with the majority here. It would be cool if Turbin suprised and was a good fit af FB long term. I'm not holding my breath, but not many FB's out there running a 4.4 and as agile as Turbin.

I'm not sure about your definition of long term in this instance. I don't know if I'd want Turbin to be our FB past this season. I think that given our roster situation, that we could get away with using him at FB and using our Roster to help with depth in other areas of our game right now. I'd need to see a LOT more out of Turbin at the position before I called on him to move there permanently.

I'm just living in fantasy land here. Don't crush my dream.

kidhawk

Reaction score
King Dog":3l9gmhq1 said:
kidhawk":3l9gmhq1 said:
King Dog":3l9gmhq1 said:

I'm just living in fantasy land here. Don't crush my dream.

Sorry....dream on :)

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":11hl95ko said:
You just have to admire this guy. He is quietly morphing into an Mrob 2.0 type of calming influence in the backfield. He is never going to set the world on fire with his running, it is just not his strength. He has great hands, knows how to block and has the upper body strength and quickness to do so. He is a great team player and dont forget he is RW's room mate. Hope Cmike is taking note.
Maybe since he is obviously in the pro-Wilson camp, he can rub some of that logic to Lynch. Wilson is the 'teacher's pet', everyone better buy in.
I think it's awesome that Turbin is such a great teammate. I really hope he blooms as a FB. It might just be his true position.
Believe me, if it helps Lynch, all this locker room drama will subside.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
MysterMatt":184034hf said:
He has the biceps for it...now I hope he also has the legs. I'm really happy he's stepping up, though. Our roster has too many guys who can't play for a few weeks, and signing another fullback would mean we have to release someone to make room. We really are thin right now, so his versatility is really essential right now.

Right now.

I keep hearing that everything will be better once we get a lot of guys back, but it's essential we weather the current storm so we can make a strong run in the second half of the season. We need a few wins in the right way.

And who knows? He seems to be an average/mediocre RB, but maybe he'll turn out to be a stellar FB.

I don't think his leg power would be an issue.

I can see it being one if he's going to run through a tackle and keep his balance

Or stand up a DE and drive him away from the QB.

But if you ever saw Turbin go Bowling Ball in short yardage situations, you know he can be lead blocker, he might not be able to run through tackles and keep his balance but he can definately run full-steam into a crowd of players and lay someone out.

He has more than enough power/speed/leverage + body mass to truck defenders.

I'm actually excited.

Seahawks if they wanted can use I-Formations on 3rd Downs. And use misdirection to get big plays like run Lynch out as a slot WR from the backfield, block with Turbin, or Run a fake counter with Lynch and have Turbin run a wheel route. Or read option with Wilson with a Lynch fake and Turbin as a lead blocker aimed to take out the spy.

This just opens up a lot of things on the field because your 3rd Down RB is basically now your FB, and I think Turbin is good enough to create mis-matches and I think Bevell will utilize Turbin to his strengths as well as open up the playbook to take advantage of those strengths.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I dig Turbin and his attitude. The funny thing is, I always thought he could be a pro bowl FB if he wanted too. He is a decent/good RB but with his size, speed, strength and good hands, I always thought he would make a great FB. I know it is only temporary, but I'm intrigued to see how he takes to the FB spot over the next 7-9 weeks.

Plus, I would be lying if I didn't say I want to see Christine Michael get some playing time and see if he has what it takes to be a NFL RB. I think the offense is about to get interesting and hopefully fun to watch (again).

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This could work out well. Turbin is a decent threat to receive some carries at FB too, so Defenses will have to account for that.

Jville

Reaction score
I am looking forward to seeing more of that split backfield look. Brings balance and options to the backfield. Turbin fits in that alignment.

I like the direction of this back to the future offense.

pehawk

Reaction score
Jville":pvq2u3jz said:
I am looking forward to seeing more of that split backfield look. Brings balance and options to the backfield. Turbin fits in that alignment.

Agreed. I think there's a strong possibility the Seahawks may've stumbled into a identity that fits, via the blind guy's broken foot. If you think about it, an athletic FB adds ALOT of the same horizontal principles they we're looking for with Percy.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I think This is a great move for Turbo. Hope he becomes the next Mike rob.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I think Turbin is a better runner than he gets credit for. When you only get 5 carries and your long one gests called back your numbers suffer. How many times do we see Marshawn go 2 yards, 3 yards 15 yards, 1 yard, 2 yards. Ok so that last 2 yard gain it was 3rd and 1 and he was hit 3 yards deep in the back field and carried 5 guys with for the first down. But the point being that if, god forbid, Beast went down, Turbin would be ok. Love his attitude about FB.

Go Hawks.
SC

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Turbin can't break a tackle to save his life. With the amount of times Marshawn gets hit in the backfield and still gets positive yards, if that were Turbin, he'd look even worse as an every down back. He requires a gigantic hole just to get a nice gain, and then gets tripped up by the first DB in sight, of course that giant hole was only there because of a blatant hold.

Dude needs to get surgery to switch his huge arms and skinny legs around.

Jville

Reaction score
pehawk":1yc8aruz said:
Jville":1yc8aruz said:

Agreed. I think there's a strong possibility the Seahawks may've stumbled into a identity that fits, via the blind guy's broken foot. If you think about it, an athletic FB adds ALOT of the same horizontal principles they we're looking for with Percy.

I see field gulls noted they used 2 back sets in 28% of their Rams game snaps. IIRC the split backfield was an alignment they were attempting to develop prior to the Percy experiment. Tom Cable offered the opinion, this week, that they were trying to do too much in some areas. Some, including Doug Baldwin, if I am not mistaken, have offered the opinion that the identity of this offense lies more in 21 and 12 personal groupings than in the 3 wide receiver alignments. I'm assuming we are seeing a transition back to that future.

By the way ............ have you given any thought as to how Cooper Helfet fits with those split backs? I didn't go back to look at that combination in the Rams review but have been thinking about it. I think Cooper is an interesting movement tight end with H-back ability. In any case, the offense is evolving once again which makes it rather interesting.

pehawk

Reaction score
Good post. Agreed, it may be evolving.

I think they we're trying to do much because they needed to appease Percy and justify his role all together, to themselves. But, a split back set can accomplish the same things, really. This past Sunday they had no clue Turbin would be at FB, now they've had a week to work within that reality. We'll see what they can come up with.

And agreed on Coop. Hell, he even looks like a HB with his helmet off.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The new TE they signed also can play H-back too. I believe I read it somewhere in his profile or in the newspaper. Can't remember where I saw it.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It makes sense if they don't have a more viable candidate right now. At least now he'll get practice reps at FB and be ready to do it more than 5-10 minutes before the game.

Marcus Allen played FB for a year at USC due to need and did very well at it, so you never know.

kearly

Reaction score
Coleman is a sneaky 233, he has a WR type build and always seemed way too small to play fullback. Maybe that's because Fullbacks usually play in the 240 range (Bruce Miller of the 49ers weighs 248, for example), and there are some that play at 250+. It makes sense that a lot of TE's sub in at the FB position for certain plays since their body weights are pretty similar.

Turbin is 222 and while big for a RB, isn't really built for lower body power. He may very well be a better blocker than Coleman, who outside of a couple good games, has been grossly ineffective so far. I love Turbin's attitude, but I see this as a missed opportunity for Pete to fix the FB spot. With the FB position being so undervalued, you can't tell me that there isn't a quality option on the market or PS somewhere. Or available in a trade.

I'm probably being a conspiracy nut, but I've suspected for some time that Christine Michael is a Darrell Bevell guy and a Pete Carroll guy but not a Tom Cable guy. This move with Turbin almost seems like Pete's way of being sneaky to supercede Cable's objections. This is based on zero facts, purely from the gut, ala Herman Cain. Which probably makes me an idiot. But it's a feeling I can't shake.

sturg78

Reaction score
This is awesome. Hopefully focusing on keeping his footing and maintaining blocks will help him if he transitions back to rb. Get him used to leveraging his body in a way that may decrease the shoelace tackles we see him fall victim to too often.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
kidhawk":147tfayf said:
MysterMatt":147tfayf said:
He has the biceps for it...now I hope he also has the legs. I'm really happy he's stepping up, though. Our roster has too many guys who can't play for a few weeks, and signing another fullback would mean we have to release someone to make room. We really are thin right now, so his versatility is really essential right now.

Right now.

I keep hearing that everything will be better once we get a lot of guys back, but it's essential we weather the current storm so we can make a strong run in the second half of the season. We need a few wins in the right way.

And who knows? He seems to be an average/mediocre RB, but maybe he'll turn out to be a stellar FB.

I would guess that we wouldn't release anyone. If they found a FB they thought could handle the load, they'd probably just IR Coleman to free up the space. That is what they ended up doing with Marsh, and Pete said their injuries were similar. I don't think either of them need to miss the entire season, but roster space is at a premium right now.
But that's what I'm saying, inarticulate like. Coleman is also a stud on ST, which is why he hasn't been IR'd. Turbin buys us time.