Tyler Lockett gets Extension

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
This is one of those extension deals they do where they extend for 3 years but it's actually a 4-year as it effectively replaces the current year salary as well via the signing bonus.

I think once you look at it in that light the numbers will seem much more reasonable.

stang233

Reaction score
Fancy this one guys! By his career stats and and he continues he averages 45 receptions a year. That means we will be paying him over $270,000 per catch this year. WOW

lukerguy

Reaction score
The only reason you sign a guy to this contract coming off of a mediocre injury-recovered season is because your eyes tell you, he won't be able to be had for $10MM a year once the season is over... that's the good news.

The bad news is, you have to believe Lockett would have accepted less.. 8-9 range? Based on past production, this is a massive over payment.

D

DomeHawk

They should have at least waited a few games to see how he was doing this season.

Seymour

Reaction score
Still, this contract seems a bit outsized for the production he has provided thus far. The average annual value of $12.6 million on his extension will make him the 16th highest-paid receiver in football, while the $20 million guarantee ranks 14th at the position. Lockett's average yearly line of 47-618-3 does not warrant that type of deal, and it's difficult to see his value as a returner making up the difference. (Especially because it appears the kickoff may be on its way out sooner rather than later.)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...r-lockett-to-three-year-38-million-extension/

AgentDib

Reaction score
ivotuk":30tzyym2 said:
Brock says when you consider the rookie contract, (Clayton agrees), that this is really a 4 year, 32 million dollar deal.
That is how the numbers work out going forward but I'd argue that's a bad economic argument. One of the opportunity costs of this extension is forgoing a really great deal on a rookie contract. It may be ultimately worth that trade off but it's not accurate to simply dismiss it to make the deal look better than it is.

Consider a deal where I am offering my seats for the first seven games for free this season. Paying $1000 for my seats for the 8th game on a separate deal would still be questionable even if the overall package (8 games for $1000) still looked good.

Fade

Reaction score
If Lockett is back to being the old Lockett it is an okay signing.

Right now I don't like it, because I haven't seen him back at that level yet.

I like David Moore more right now as a player. Jaron Brown is under contract for 2 years. Baldwin is still in the fold.

The QB makes the receiver, not the other way around.

I would prefer that money to go to pass rushers, and O-Line.

If Lockett return's to form = B Grade.

If Lockett doesn't = D Grade.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1034913428312223745[/tweet]

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
One difference too when Tate got offered what he did vs this contract...at that time when Tate became a free agent the FO knew that there were a lot of stars on their rookie deals that were due big pay days in the next couple of years. They had to figure all that out too.
That could lead to a whole other conversation of our drafting the last few years vs 2011 and 12 but that's for a different thread.

mrt144

Reaction score
DomeHawk":y3ksj97q said:
They should have at least waited a few games to see how he was doing this season.

That also carries the risk that he burns the house down and commands a higher salary. Absence of information has pros and cons.

D

DomeHawk

mrt144":2jdhlqly said:
DomeHawk":2jdhlqly said:

That also carries the risk that he burns the house down and commands a higher salary. Absence of information has pros and cons.

Higher than this? For a #2 receiver? No way.

mrt144

Reaction score
DomeHawk":34awppew said:
mrt144":34awppew said:
DomeHawk":34awppew said:

Isnt Tylers contract arguably more team friendly than Richardsons?

THE TABS

Reaction score
I like Lockett, but I don’t LOVE him. He’s a #3 slot receiver who has averaged 46 catches a year over three years.

The quickest way for a team to put itself in cap hell is to hand out extensions based on potential rather than production, and that’s exactly what they’ve done. Would rather have spent this money on a quality free agent offensive guard with a backloaded contract this past off season (Andrew Norwell).

Bad move. I’m really starting to have serious doubts about the direction of this organization.

D

DomeHawk

mrt144":3jyxtcfh said:
DomeHawk":3jyxtcfh said:
mrt144":3jyxtcfh said:
DomeHawk":3jyxtcfh said:

Isnt Tylers contract arguably more team friendly than Richardsons?

I haven't read enough to know but here's the deal:

ET is a top-5 at his position player that you can sign for 13 million per.

Tyler Lockett is no where near that rating at his position and he gets 10 million? (20-mil guaranteed)

Granted there more complexities here, e.g., age, length of contract, etc. BUT this feels more like a vindictive decision than a business decision and I think it comes straight from the top.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
This is further indication that they are attempting to make the offense, and particularly the passing game, more of a priority. They traded for a Pro Bowl LT in Duane Brown and locked him down with an extension this off-season. They previously extended center Justin Britt. They used their first round pick on a RB, who is also an adept receiver. And now they have secured Wilson’s No. 2 target.

They may not put a lot of money in the defense going forward, relying on Carroll to coach up younger players and less desired veterans.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Paul Richardson
-5 Yrs, 40Mil, 12Mil G

Tyler Lockett
-3 Yrs, 32Mil, 20Mil G

Jermaine Kearse
-3 Yrs, 13Mil, Cannot confirm what was guaranteed.

Can't believe everyone complained saying we overpaid Kearse after he had a down year after signing his contract.

I like Lockett, Good WR and ST contributor, but that contract is pretty rich....

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Obviously, they feel a lot more confident in Lockett’s upside than many of the people on social media.

D

DomeHawk

hawknation2018":9ncgx2o3 said:
Obviously, they feel a lot more confident in Lockett’s upside than many of the people on social media.

You know, I can't speak for anyone else but I don't think it is that as much as it is the uncertainty of the whole thing.

Latest posts