Tyler Lockett gets Extension

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Ok I get what you're saying, I apologize for the snootiness.

Do I think Lockett is worth more? No I don't. But Locket just negotiated for that guaranteed money, which when put into perspective, is happening more often around the league. The shift has already begun where players want more guaranteed money.

Baldwin's contract doesn't have as much in guarantees, but it IS worth more on both a per year and total basis. 4 years/$46MM is objectively more than 3 years/$31.8MM, is it not? Keep in mind, Doug's deal was done in 2016 not today. In the meantime, the salary cap has increased by roughly $20MM and WR salaries have increased by a very large percentage.

iigakusei

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2uk1mg3m said:
Ok I get what you're saying, I apologize for the snootiness.

Do I think Lockett is worth more? No I don't. But Locket just negotiated for that guaranteed money, which when put into perspective, is happening more often around the league. The shift has already begun where players want more guaranteed money.

Baldwin's contract doesn't have as much in guarantees, but it IS worth more on both a per year and total basis. 4 years/$46MM is objectively more than 3 years/$31.8MM, is it not?
The more I think about it isnt Lockett's deal 4 Years / 31.8 Million? You have to include this year too don't you?

Seymour

Reaction score
Again. I like Lockett, and I think he is going to have a big year and have stated that. I just am sensitive to bad contracts since we are still paying big time for those past mistakes and I am surprised how much they gave him given his production here.

Go kick ass Tyler!!

Ahawks Football  vcatalanifisherinteractivecom 13

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Since Lockett is still on his rookie deal, I'm not sure if any salary can get moved over to affect the cap this year. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's good news that the FO is this confident in Lockett.

It's bad news if they are overpaying Lockett based on what they hope he will do. That's what this feels like to me after 3 seasons/1800 yards but I'd love to be wrong.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Seymour":1bfhyat9 said:
pmedic920":1bfhyat9 said:
Seymour":1bfhyat9 said:
I like that they signed him, but to pay him considerably more than they offered Tate is both ridiculous and frankly a bit surprising. :?: :?: :?:
Yea about that.....

I kinda remember some “side” issues that just may have effected GT’s offers.

Glad to hear TL will be around for a bit.

I actually agree with that sediment. .

lol. Brilliant.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think Lockett can easily live up to the value of that contract if he's regained his speed.

Hard worker, runs good routes, shifty returner, good hands. No reason he can't be doug lite.

chris98251

Reaction score
Mad Dog":et2l7pln said:
I think Lockett can easily live up to the value of that contract if he's regained his speed.

Hard worker, runs good routes, shifty returner, good hands. No reason he can't be doug lite.

Not built like Doug, Light is the Key word there slight of frame but has a lot of other quickness attributes, just in my opinion would not be able to take possession receiver pounding.

D

DomeHawk

Seymour":3sub0p1b said:
I like that they signed him, but to pay him considerably more than they offered Tate is both ridiculous and frankly a bit surprising. :?: :?: :?:

The Tate thing was a huge mistake.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2ohwhq8r said:
Since Lockett is still on his rookie deal, I'm not sure if any salary can get moved over to affect the cap this year. Maybe someone else can comment on that.
The last year of an existing contract can definitely be modified when extending that contract.

Lockett's existing 2018 cap hit is approximately $2M. What we don't yet know is how much his signing bonus is so we can't predict what his new 2018 cap hit will be... but it certainly will be more than $2M imo.

Sac

Reaction score
chris98251":2h7utkjg said:
Mad Dog":2h7utkjg said:

Not built like Doug, Light is the Key word there slight of frame but has a lot of other quickness attributes, just in my opinion would not be able to take possession receiver pounding.

Physically, Lockett is an Antonio Brown clone.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Seymour":2ma9wvhe said:

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm. The league cap economics aren’t even close to being the same as they were 5 years ago. If Tate came out in this market he would have a gotten similar money as well.

And frankly it wasn’t surprising, Seahawks had a model of what they could spend on Tate because their goal at the time was keeping together one of the best Defenses of All-Time together.

If anything blame Harvin for being a complete and utter failure where his extension kind of ate the cap that might of re-signed Tate if you could go back in time and do things differently. You can’t.

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's 2018, no comparison to when they lost Tate. The $ is so much higher these days. Shoot, look what #2 WR's are getting around the league. This deal is no more shocking than the other deals.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Frankly I'm surprised no one has brought up what most likely was the real reason we didn't end up signing Tate.. Where there's smoke there's fire, and from bizarre comments and actions by all the parties involved clearly something happened between Russ and Tate imo.

But good for Lockett! Really pumped to see what he can do this year

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good for Lockett! Hopefully he is back to full go...If so, he's an explosive force.

(As for Russ and Tate, I heard enough rumor that Tate slept with Russ' girl at the time to think there was definitely something to that).

Seymour

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3isafosa said:
Frankly I'm surprised no one has brought up what most likely was the real reason we didn't end up signing Tate.. Where there's smoke there's fire, and from bizarre comments and actions by all the parties involved clearly something happened between Russ and Tate imo.

But good for Lockett! Really pumped to see what he can do this year

It was finally brought up by pmedic920 and I agreed that was a great point as well. The Harvin blunder was another. :2thumbs:

adeltaY

Reaction score
Good for Tyler! The FO is paying him for future production, not rewarding him for past production, which is a better philosophy IMO, although it is a gamble. If Tyler is healthy, the offensive design is good, RW is healthy and sharp, I think it'll be worth it.

Now, this makes him the 16th highest paid WR and he will be making at least 2M per year more than Richardson. It'll be interesting to see what the people who scoffed at PRich's contract say about this one. Keep in mind, Garofolo said the max value is $37.8M over the three years, which works out to $12.6M APY.

Tical21

Reaction score
HUGE overpay. He'll make more per catch over the next four years than any receiver in football.

Someone take the keys away from John before he does more extensive permanent damage.