Tyler Lockett gets Extension

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":3u8weuqm said:
Whoa, over paid. Lockett isnt even sniffing top 30 wide reciever status. This wont make Baldwin happy.

That's the nature of football contracts..............they seem too much in year 1 and 2, and a good deal for the team by year 3 and 4.

Anyone think we're getting a bad deal on Bobby at 10M a year or Russell at 23M a year?

Just the nature of contract inflation right now, 10M a year is a lot for a #2, but that's the going rate, and if you believe in Tyler's health and upside? In two years when other teams are paying their #2's 12-14M, it'll seem like a bargain.

Hopefully.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
So now the Seahawks are suddenly betting on him to be a No. 2 receiver to Doug Baldwin and are paying him accordingly. I don’t know about you, but I don’t see a No. 2 receiver when I watch Tyler Lockett. I see a good player who could be a No. 2 receiver, but he isn’t one yet. I’d even bet that Brandon Marshall, Jaron Brown or Moore has a better chance to be a No. 2 receiver this year than Lockett.

Wanna guess how many touchdown receptions Lockett has made in his last 31 games? Three. That’s it. I haven’t checked, but I’m guessing most No. 2 receivers have more than three touchdowns in their last 31 games.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/511033/mo ... r-lockett/

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Right now it looks like they paid more than they needed to . If he plays well this year then I think it's fine.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":32kz8cjr said:
Right now it looks like they paid more than they needed to . If he plays well this year then I think it's fine.

Agreed

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3dlfjoqh said:
Ad Hawk":3dlfjoqh said:
DomeHawk":3dlfjoqh said:
hawknation2018":3dlfjoqh said:
Obviously, they feel a lot more confident in Lockett’s upside than many of the people on social media.

You know, I can't speak for anyone else but I don't think it is that as much as it is the uncertainty of the whole thing.

But what signing is ever a sure thing? Of course there's uncertainty, but if Tyler can contribute to over all yards as the post above indicated, he's worth it for us.

Obviously there are no sure things but are there different levels of risk. In fact that is what we are talking about here, risk management. We gave him top level talent money before he played one single down this year. What is that based on? He's good but he's never really been top level. I can't think of one single player that we have done that for before.

Not sure 11 million is "top level" money anymore, or won't be soon.

6 of the 7 highest paid receivers just signed this season, all for 15+

5 of the next 8 are contracts of players who will get rich new deals next season (including Baldwin). the other 4 guys just signed for 12-14 but with huge guarantees.

You can see how Lockett's contract is a bit of a gamble. but if he plays even above average he will be a bargain in 2019, considering the rise in WR contracts.

Kid has to show up. he's getting paid a bit on potential. But... if it works out he's a great deal

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/wide-receiver/

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ga2nsno said:
DomeHawk":1ga2nsno said:
Ad Hawk":1ga2nsno said:
DomeHawk":1ga2nsno said:
You know, I can't speak for anyone else but I don't think it is that as much as it is the uncertainty of the whole thing.

But what signing is ever a sure thing? Of course there's uncertainty, but if Tyler can contribute to over all yards as the post above indicated, he's worth it for us.

Obviously there are no sure things but are there different levels of risk. In fact that is what we are talking about here, risk management. We gave him top level talent money before he played one single down this year. What is that based on? He's good but he's never really been top level. I can't think of one single player that we have done that for before.

Not sure 11 million is "top level" money anymore, or won't be soon.

6 of the 7 highest paid receivers just signed this season, all for 15+

5 of the next 8 are contracts of players who will get rich new deals next season (including Baldwin). the other 4 guys just signed for 12-14 but with huge guarantees.

You can see how Lockett's contract is a bit of a gamble. but if he plays even above average he will be a bargain in 2019, considering the rise in WR contracts.

Kid has to show up. he's getting paid a bit on potential. But... if it works out he's a great deal

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/wide-receiver/

So, a gamble. Like so many other moves we've made.

This one is a significantly safer gamble than Joeckel, Walsh, Lacy, Harvin, or Tate. It's like the Unger and Okung gambles. They were let go out of injury concerns and not wanting to pay out for them. The only real result was that the OL suffered while they prospered, healthy, on other teams. Lockett's a non-drama guy with the ability to lead the NFL at a crucial position. That's important, and given the uncertainty of the rest of the WR corps, I really don't see what the huge problem is with this gamble.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Didn't he play the whole season last year? I think that says a lot and I could be wrong but I believe we started seeing him start to play like his old self at end of the 2017 season.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Love Lockett!

Good year count too, not too long. Let him prove his 2nd deal.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1rmhzy21 said:
Didn't he play the whole season last year? I think that says a lot and I could be wrong but I believe we started seeing him start to play like his old self at end of the 2017 season.

And even before the end. Just watch the first play.

[youtube]xW-YU3HSzqI[/youtube]

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I really don’t understand the love over this guy. Lockett is a mediocre receiver, and fits the mold of more of a role player. He is not that great as a wide receiver. He is a niche pick that is an okay slot guy, which is what he does best. Overpaid as a player, not impressed by him as a receiver. He is going to disappoint this year.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3ncfr9i7 said:
seahawkfreak":3ncfr9i7 said:

And even before the end. Just watch the first play.

[youtube]xW-YU3HSzqI[/youtube]

Nice, let me keep it going. TyLock is an absolute playmaker. There are many on the .NET that hated that we let Golden Tate go, myself included. That said, he had to go. There were some serious politics going on there and it was probably best that our team and GT parted ways.

The first 3 years in Seattle TyLock absolutely destroys Golden Tate in production. In the end, TyLock is 5 years younger and I would like to think that he is going to be just as good as Tate or better.

Golden Tate Combine
Tyler Lockett Combine

Golden Tate career stats
Tyler Lockett career stats

To those knocking the "#3 WR position" really should take a step back. One, that is a starting position on most NFL teams. Personally I still want a blocking/recieving FB alla John L. Willialms (man could also run a good ball] but it is not the 80s or 90s anymore. Two the z is an important position and honestly, who's the expert that says TL can's play #2 and eventually be a #1. I bet many here could not have predicted ADB would eventually become our #1 six years ago.

Also here are some highlights for the season many seem to be pulling some hair out about.

[youtube]unDxS4MHq6U[/youtube]

Make sure to click on "watch on youtube" if the clips get blocked

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3oej2iys said:
He is not that great as a wide receiver.

Can you back this up with stats and analysis? Cuz you're just saying it and expecting people to agree. Watch the vids.

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1wm0xesy said:
Spin Doctor":1wm0xesy said:

Can you back this up with stats and analysis? Cuz you're just saying it and expecting people to agree. Watch the vids.

The problem with highlight vids is that they make everyone look good. I was just thinking about this since someone mentioned feeling good about Hundley after watching his highlight video. Lockett is a much better WR than Hundley is a QB, but it's something to consider. From an advanced stat perspective, I know Matt Harmon's Reception Perception system has rated Lockett highly for a while now and he's been waiting for the production to match the prediction.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
adeltaY":1c81iljo said:
MontanaHawk05":1c81iljo said:
Spin Doctor":1c81iljo said:

The problem with highlight vids is that they make everyone look good. I was just thinking about this since someone mentioned feeling good about Hundley after watching his highlight video. Lockett is a much better WR than Hundley is a QB, but it's something to consider. From an advanced stat perspective, I know Matt Harmon's Reception Perception system has rated Lockett highly for a while now and he's been waiting for the production to match the prediction.

This is a fair analysis but Lockett's stats have not dropped off that much, in fact each year is pretty darn close. Really, if you are unsure of the resigning,,, you probably were not really enthusied with Lockett to begin with and this is an opportune time for critizism.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I really like Lockett and I'm glad we re-signed him, but I must admit that the price is a bit high. I'd expect at least 800 yards and 6 TDs per on around 100 targets per season for that to be worth it.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2h15mqsx said:
Spin Doctor":2h15mqsx said:

I've watched highlight vids, and I watched him his whole career, and I watched what you posted. My opinion still stands that Tyler Lockett is a mediocre wide receiver. He is more Deion Branch than Antonio Brown and I doubt he is ever going to get better than a Deion Branch. I just don't understand the hype over this guy, especially after last year when he looked slow, and plodding.

He just isn't that great of a wide receiver. I'm really struggling to see what people see in him. Every year people expect him to break out, and every year he disappoints.

mrt144

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":ks9b3y4t said:
MontanaHawk05":ks9b3y4t said:
Spin Doctor":ks9b3y4t said:

I've watched highlight vids, and I watched him his whole career, and I watched what you posted. My opinion still stands that Tyler Lockett is a mediocre wide receiver. He is more Deion Branch than Antonio Brown and I doubt he is ever going to get better than a Deion Branch. I just don't understand the hype over this guy, especially after last year when he looked slow, and plodding.

He just isn't that great of a wide receiver. I'm really struggling to see what people see in him. Every year people expect him to break out, and every year he disappoints.

We waited 5 years for ADB to break out and since PCJS has taken over only ever had one stud in ADB. Maybe people are just super hopeful?

Sac

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3h0oriho said:
Too much money for a mediocre receiver. Good return man, never gonna amount to much as receiver.

*Screen shot for posterity and eventual mockery*

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2etdep30 said:
MontanaHawk05":2etdep30 said:
Spin Doctor":2etdep30 said:

That really isn't stats or analysis. I see a guy who makes clutch plays, handles the redline throws and toe-dragging well, and stays at top effort during scramble drills.

I guess "disappoint" would depend on your expectations. If you're expecting 1,000 yards perennially or you're not impressed, well, that was never going to happen for a #2 receiver. But for a #2 receiver, those $$$ aren't bad.