US Open - Chambers Bay

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brettb3":23p8hp5w said:
And yet, this tournament had the 2nd most golfers finish under par at a U.S. Open since 2002. The U.S. Open is supposed to be the most difficult tournament in the world.

I was just about to say this with kearly's post.

So I guess the conclusion is "we don't mind hard US Open courses, but HOW you make them hard is what matters?"

I'll concede that some of the greens, maybe even most weren't as pristine and perfect as PGA golfers are used to, but show me any tour stop course and I'll show you where even if you land it on the fairways you have to land it on the right part of the fairway or else your ball bounces into the foot high rough (especially Links)...........or greens where you have to hit the correct spot or it won't hold for the day's pin placement.

StoneCold

Reaction score
This course has more slope and more roll than most courses, and occasionally there was too much, but it was damn fun to watch shots that kept rolling. Sometimes closer to the hole and sometimes not.

I'm really looking forward to the British Open. I want to compare it to Chambers Bay for linksiness.

SC

Hawker

Reaction score
I was an engaged spectator at the course during the practice rounds on Monday and Wednesday. And again Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The viewing experience was terrible - but I would chalk that one up to it being a links style course (St. Andrews looks on t.v. like it might be equally as difficult to get a good view of the action in-person).

My friend and I camped out on the 18th grandstand, 10 rows directly behind the pin. That made for one long day but a day filled with great 3-5 wood shots from the fairway. Cameron Smith threw his golf ball he had just sunk for an eagle and the lady in the row behind me caught it. Almost snagged a couple other souvenirs.

I thought for SURE D.J. was going to tie it - I had my playoff tickets and was pumped for an 18 hole showdown.

I didn't catch any of Fox's coverage, I hear it was bad - Joe Buck is actually a really, really good golfer. Fox did have some neat toys out in the fairways on 16 & 18.

My Dad & I got interviewed, albeit briefly, by Natalie Gulbis on the 10th hole just before the leaders teed off on Saturday. That was a nice highlight!

Would I buy tickets to another Open at Chambers? No. I hear they are making a bid for the 2025 U.S. Open.

Had the USGA allowed Chambers to water the greens during April, May and June, I assure you, the players would have been very satisfied with the course. The only thing worse than the bumpy Poa greens was the spectator experience. I think I most enjoyed the driving range - because you could actually see the ball off of the club, and interact with the players (during the practice rounds).

My step-son caught a ball signed by Spieth on Monday... AWESOME!!!

Attachments

• 1514603_10207347125664337_8291424176138555687_n.jpg
    1514603_10207347125664337_8291424176138555687_n.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 4,608

StoneCold

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if in 10 years they haven't solved the viewing problem. Take some of the ungodly wide fariways and make room for people to walk along. I can imagine paths and stairways around up and over the berms and perhaps a few tunnels. Make it easy for people to get to all parts of the course and get close to the players.

Hope I'm still around, it will be awesome.

SC

OP
OP
DTexHawk

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Hawker":1a0wev8k said:
I was an engaged spectator at the course during the practice rounds on Monday and Wednesday. And again Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The viewing experience was terrible - but I would chalk that one up to it being a links style course (St. Andrews looks on t.v. like it might be equally as difficult to get a good view of the action in-person).

My friend and I camped out on the 18th grandstand, 10 rows directly behind the pin. That made for one long day but a day filled with great 3-5 wood shots from the fairway. Cameron Smith threw his golf ball he had just sunk for an eagle and the lady in the row behind me caught it. Almost snagged a couple other souvenirs.

I thought for SURE D.J. was going to tie it - I had my playoff tickets and was pumped for an 18 hole showdown.

I didn't catch any of Fox's coverage, I hear it was bad - Joe Buck is actually a really, really good golfer. Fox did have some neat toys out in the fairways on 16 & 18.

My Dad & I got interviewed, albeit briefly, by Natalie Gulbis on the 10th hole just before the leaders teed off on Saturday. That was a nice highlight!

Would I buy tickets to another Open at Chambers? No. I hear they are making a bid for the 2025 U.S. Open.

Had the USGA allowed Chambers to water the greens during April, May and June, I assure you, the players would have been very satisfied with the course. The only thing worse than the bumpy Poa greens was the spectator experience. I think I most enjoyed the driving range - because you could actually see the ball off of the club, and interact with the players (during the practice rounds).

My step-son caught a ball signed by Spieth on Monday... AWESOME!!!

Even decked out in Under-Armour! The ball will be a great memory!

NICE!

Have followed Spieth's career (can a 21 yr old have a career?) for almost a decade.

Short story:

Spieth was in an Open qualifier probably 3-4 years ago at a course where a good friend is a member (who witnessed this).

He had a shot into #9 (par 4) which is kidney shaped with water in front and around the left side of green. About a 8 foot dropoff on the left front of green.

Spieth asked for a club, went through his preshot routine, and hit towards the pin tucked on the far left edge. It drops short into the pond. He looked down at his club and said "I wanted my 52, not my 56." His caddy was a high school teammate who had given him the wrong club.

He then takes his drop, laying 3, and proceeds to hole out with his 52 for a par.

Lots of local stories about how calm, cool, and collected he can be on the course.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DTexHawk":3vk4vxey said:
Lots of local stories about how calm, cool, and collected he can be on the course.

Have also heard stories of how Spieth used to throw tantrums as a junior golfer, even by his own account. You could see it a few times over the weekend where his temper bubbled to the surface a little, but he reigned it in.

I also think that's why Greller is a great caddie for Spieth, super calm and collected. Good match.

OP
OP
DTexHawk

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ek44g4a said:
DTexHawk":1ek44g4a said:

Have also heard stories of how Spieth used to throw tantrums as a junior golfer, even by his own account. You could see it a few times over the weekend where his temper bubbled to the surface a little, but he reigned it in.

I also think that's why Greller is a great caddie for Spieth, super calm and collected. Good match.

You probably stated it better than I did. :D

I meant to say he could get back under control after something bad happens on the course and really focus on each shot.

OP
OP
DTexHawk

DTexHawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2y4v7mwu said:
Sets up well for wee Rory, IMO. Northern Ireland and Scotland have a ton of tough links courses, so Rory's no stranger. Spieth has no chance.

Just had to revisit. ;)

Rory's ankle is another reason that soccer shouldn't exist.

Just having fun!!!

OP
OP
DTexHawk

DTexHawk

Reaction score
DTexHawk":xbj1t0qu said:
peachesenregalia":xbj1t0qu said:
Sets up well for wee Rory, IMO. Northern Ireland and Scotland have a ton of tough links courses, so Rory's no stranger. Spieth has no chance.

Just had to revisit. ;)

Just having fun!!!

Still waiting for a response!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JesterHawk

Reaction score
DTexHawk":2w3mvhq7 said:
DTexHawk":2w3mvhq7 said:
peachesenregalia":2w3mvhq7 said:

Just had to revisit. ;)

Just having fun!!!

Still waiting for a response!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The irony of the last three posts a month or more apart combined with your signature is incredible.