Vernon Adams leaves Redskins without Contract

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Seafan":321w4mui said:
BJ Daniels isn't PS eligible anymore.

Heaps and Boykins are.

Adams has an NFL mind and arm. Too bad his body isn't more like RWs.
His body is more similar to Wilson than his mind. Wilson is more cerebral, throws with anticipation and making presnap reads. At this stage Adams is struggling with playing from undercenter and reciting plays/terminology. Wilson was fluid with that stuff from day 1 his rookie minicamp.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Basis4day":3dtigz9j said:
kearly":3dtigz9j said:
With regards to Heaps, I just don't get it. If you don't want Vernon Adams that's one thing, but why choose Heaps over BJ Daniels? Daniels was available as a free agent at the time that they signed Heaps. Daniels has since signed with the Giants. Maybe I am drowning in my own ignorance, but giving chances to lousy prototypical QBs like RJ Archer and Jake Heaps over mobile QBs (Adams, Daniels) who are not only plainly better at playing QB but also much better system fits seems moronic to me. I hope there is something they know that I don't.

My presumption is that it has to do with the rules about rookie minicamps and how long you can be in the league and still participate.

IIRC they're only open to rookies and players with limited accrued seasons?

I think that's basically the reason. They needed warm bodies to play in the rookie mini-camp. Heaps is gone the moment we bring T-Jack back. The team is just waiting for June 1 (I believe that's the date, but correct me if I am wrong) where signing a FA doesn't count against the comp pick formula. Same thing they did last year really.

Vernon Adams reminds me of what happened to Matt Scott to be honest.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1smg5puh said:
Basis4day":1smg5puh said:
kearly":1smg5puh said:
With regards to Heaps, I just don't get it. If you don't want Vernon Adams that's one thing, but why choose Heaps over BJ Daniels? Daniels was available as a free agent at the time that they signed Heaps. Daniels has since signed with the Giants. Maybe I am drowning in my own ignorance, but giving chances to lousy prototypical QBs like RJ Archer and Jake Heaps over mobile QBs (Adams, Daniels) who are not only plainly better at playing QB but also much better system fits seems moronic to me. I hope there is something they know that I don't.

My presumption is that it has to do with the rules about rookie minicamps and how long you can be in the league and still participate.

I think that's basically the reason. They needed warm bodies to play in the rookie mini-camp. Heaps is gone the moment we bring T-Jack back. The team is just waiting for June 1 (I believe that's the date, but correct me if I am wrong) where signing a FA doesn't count against the comp pick formula. Same thing they did last year really.

This explaination makes sense, though it's Interesting that Heaps would qualify and Daniels wouldn't. Daniels has 2 career pass attempts compared to 0 for Heaps.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3d4y05t9 said:
Basis4day":3d4y05t9 said:
kearly":3d4y05t9 said:

Actually the June 1st cut off was moved to May 12th last year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/31/june-1-free-agency-deadline-moved-to-may-12/

Also, T-Jack was our own FA, so he would not count against our comp picks whether signed before or after the May 12th cut off.