OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Smellyman":26mba55t said:
HawkGA":26mba55t said:
Tical21":26mba55t said:
Millen was just on with Mitch and said Adams had a really rough weekend, rebounded a little bit Sunday, but was not impressive. Boykin was alarmingly terrible with his decision process, and just threw a bunch of balls up for grabs.

Interesting. Isn't this kind of the opposite of what Clayton said?

Millen is wrong 89.4% of the time.

It is a statistical fact.

Well based on the fact that VA is now gone this must have been part of his 10.6%.

Tical21

Reaction score
I understand the Millen hate stemming from his comments regarding RW when he was drafted, but he's probably the best analyst for on-field happenings in the business. If not, he's up there, especially when it comes to the QB position.

There isn't a talking head on any of the networks or radio stations that knows less about on-field happenings than John Clayton.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Yes, the RW comments were among the stupidest in history.

In addition, Hugh advocated BIG TIME for Nick Montana (lol) to be the starter over record setting Keith Price at UW.

(Some have noticed a trend in Hugh's QB critiquing and advocacy, but I digress......that is another conversation that certainly won't be tamed by his Boykins critcism)

Millen sounds great on the radio, I hear ya, but his QB analysis seems to be leaving much to be desired.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3t51561c said:
If you aren't even going to put a guy on your 90 there's no chance of him making your PS IMO.

If not the Redskins, best case scenario for him IMO is to tear it up in the CFL and try to follow the Doug Flutie/Jeff Garcia trajectory.

Warren Moon laughs at your puny fotball knowledge.

pehawk

Reaction score
Russell was also HORRIBLE in his first minicamp. Didn't even look like a college QB.

McGruff

Reaction score
pehawk":eawwtg8w said:
Russell was also HORRIBLE in his first minicamp. Didn't even look like a college QB.

I don't think that's true. Based on his mini-camp performance they put him right in the mix in the competition for starter.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2h73zr8g said:
Having a guy with experience means you can actually use your playbook if QB1 goes down. Boykin is not going to be ready for that at any point this season or next. And that would be tremendously hard on the rest of the team.

How can we say that with certainty when the current QB1 learned the playbook in no time at all, relatively speaking. Its not beyond the realms of possibility that other QBs could be just as quick learners as RW.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2qlzpreq said:
Popeyejones":2qlzpreq said:
If you aren't even going to put a guy on your 90 there's no chance of him making your PS IMO.

If not the Redskins, best case scenario for him IMO is to tear it up in the CFL and try to follow the Doug Flutie/Jeff Garcia trajectory.

Warren Moon had to go to other leagues first for two reasons (you can pick the order): 1) racism as it related to the QB position at the time, and 2) he didn't really produce in college. He had to develop into who he became at the same time that the league had to become more accepting of who he was.

Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia had to go to other leagues first despite having produced at the college level because they were thought to be athletic gadget players with some size limitations who couldn't succeed in a regular pro offense.They didn't need more developing, they just had to keep consistently doing what they were doing in order to get their shots.

If you don't understand why I'd compare Adams to the two of them and not Moon, you haven't really been paying attention.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
He will be a star in the CFL were the field is wide open for him .

still would love him to make the Hawks roaster

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
seahawk Dan":20kfoped said:

He would be hot stuff that's for sure.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":28vfg7nb said:
CurryStopstheRuns":28vfg7nb said:
Popeyejones":28vfg7nb said:

Warren Moon had to go to other leagues first for two reasons (you can pick the order): 1) racism as it related to the QB position at the time, and 2) he didn't really produce in college. He had to develop into who he became at the same time that the league had to become more accepting of who he was.

Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia had to go to other leagues first despite having produced at the college level because they were thought to be athletic gadget players with some size limitations who couldn't succeed in a regular pro offense.They didn't need more developing, they just had to keep consistently doing what they were doing in order to get their shots.

If you don't understand why I'd compare Adams to the two of them and not Moon, you haven't really been paying attention.

Kurt Warner is a good example as well, had to play arena league the NFL Europe before becoming Rams starter.

sc85sis

Reaction score
HawkGA":29ajm1a9 said:
Tical21":29ajm1a9 said:
Millen was just on with Mitch and said Adams had a really rough weekend, rebounded a little bit Sunday, but was not impressive. Boykin was alarmingly terrible with his decision process, and just threw a bunch of balls up for grabs.

Interesting. Isn't this kind of the opposite of what Clayton said?
And isn't Millen the guy who was going to eat his mic if Russell was successful?

I trust Pete and his staff over any broadcaster, and I used to be in radio.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":31azz1wi said:
seahawk Dan":31azz1wi said:

He would be hot stuff that's for sure.

Appears he isn't ready for the pressure cooker that is the NFL though. Let him simmer in the CFL for a couple of years. In 2018 he might be ready to sizzle in prime time.

Canhawks

Reaction score
After the Redskins declined to sign him,he now looks to be negotiating with the BC Lions in the CFL.They aren't going to hand him the starting job that's for sure,he will be slotted in at 3rd string and will have to work his way up,will be fun for us up here to watch.

kearly

Reaction score
I never expected Adams to sign with Seattle, I figured if he killed it out there then he might have a 10% chance. Front offices have already made up their mind on the guy, Seattle was just doing their due diligence, plus trying to appease local fans for not completely ignoring him. It is more or less the same thing they did with Keith Price.

It was pretty obvious the same thing would happen in DC too.

With Boykin, it's really silly to judge the guy during his very first reps with the team, only an elite QB would have much chance of impressing without knowing the playbook or receivers.

Boykin has the physical skills to wing it while he learns, so I don't see him as being another Ryan Lindley. I kinda doubt he'll be practice squad safe given his college resume and name recognition, so it could force Seattle into a tough decision.

With regards to Heaps, I just don't get it. If you don't want Vernon Adams that's one thing, but why choose Heaps over BJ Daniels? Daniels was available as a free agent at the time that they signed Heaps. Daniels has since signed with the Giants. Maybe I am drowning in my own ignorance, but giving chances to lousy prototypical QBs like RJ Archer and Jake Heaps over mobile QBs (Adams, Daniels) who are not only plainly better at playing QB but also much better system fits seems moronic to me. I hope there is something they know that I don't.

Last year RJ Archer was so bad and took so many snaps (Tjack injury) that it made it almost impossible to evaluate the WRs in the preseason. Even if Adams or Daniels had no shot at making the roster, I'd still like to see guys like them on the field during the preseason so as to make the passing offense viable enough to properly evaluate the pieces around them.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kearly":3c1iffxi said:
With regards to Heaps, I just don't get it. If you don't want Vernon Adams that's one thing, but why choose Heaps over BJ Daniels? Daniels was available as a free agent at the time that they signed Heaps. Daniels has since signed with the Giants. Maybe I am drowning in my own ignorance, but giving chances to lousy prototypical QBs like RJ Archer and Jake Heaps over mobile QBs (Adams, Daniels) who are not only plainly better at playing QB but also much better system fits seems moronic to me. I hope there is something they know that I don't.

My presumption is that it has to do with the rules about rookie minicamps and how long you can be in the league and still participate.

IIRC they're only open to rookies and players with limited accrued seasons?

kobebryant

Reaction score
And if Jonathan Jennings (BC Lions young franchise QB) stays healthy it'll be awhile before VA is getting snaps in the CFL.

Though QBs drop like flies in that league due to there being a lot of Canadians on the olines and a lot of Americans on the dlines.

Canhawks

Reaction score
Keith Price will be at the same training camp with the BC Lions,but considered a long shot to make the roster.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":2du8mfpl said:
I never expected Adams to sign with Seattle, I figured if he killed it out there then he might have a 10% chance. Front offices have already made up their mind on the guy, Seattle was just doing their due diligence, plus trying to appease local fans for not completely ignoring him. It is more or less the same thing they did with Keith Price.

It was pretty obvious the same thing would happen in DC too.

With Boykin, it's really silly to judge the guy during his very first reps with the team, only an elite QB would have much chance of impressing without knowing the playbook or receivers.

Boykin has the physical skills to wing it while he learns, so I don't see him as being another Ryan Lindley. I kinda doubt he'll be practice squad safe given his college resume and name recognition, so it could force Seattle into a tough decision.

Last year RJ Archer was so bad and took so many snaps (Tjack injury) that it made it almost impossible to evaluate the WRs in the preseason. Even if Adams or Daniels had no shot at making the roster, I'd still like to see guys like them on the field during the preseason so as to make the passing offense viable enough to properly evaluate the pieces around them.

Since a training camp arm/3rd string QB will likely not see the field much anyway you have to look at the factors that we don't see on the field: like how knowledgable they are in the film room and how helpful they can be in their team meetings.

A guy like Heaps (who is supposedly a good football mind and good at studying film) would be much more helpful in helping other players to be better in the film room or in meetings than a player like Adams would be. Sure, Adams might look better in a few preseason games, but a guy like Heaps could help the other players on the roster to be better throughout the regular season.

Sometimes it really is that simple and not only about pure talent on the football field. We never see the behind-the-scenes stuff, so it is impossible for us to gauge if Heaps would be a better player to have in training camp than Adams. You are making judgements as a fan watching players on the field only. When it comes to 3rd string players, sometimes you have to look at more.

Seafan

Reaction score
BJ Daniels isn't PS eligible anymore.

Heaps and Boykins are.

Adams has an NFL mind and arm. Too bad his body isn't more like RWs.