via con dios, Sherman, the writings on the wall

OP
OP
Rocket

Rocket

Reaction score
kidhawk":15jth610 said:
He can't get money this off season unless he signs here. He has to risk another season at minimal salary to go for the big pay day. If he's about making the money for his family, then he'd take an extension with the large signing bonus that he can get this year and not risk an injury.

Now THAT is good... a stack of hundreds in the hand is worth a dozen or so in the future, so to speak.

BamKam

Reaction score
It is really easy to be behind a keyboard and say these players should take a pay cut to win more games. Problem is that for a few of these guys they haven't made a lot of money (for NFL standards, I am aware even lower end salaries are still a ton of money) and in a sport where your next game could be your last (injury) you need to watch out for yourself and your family financially.

I think most of the players are willing to take some kind of cut but I think it is a lot less than most here believe.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
I think it's a bit wishful thinking to tell yourself that Sherman isn't all about getting paid. Everything about the guy's persona is about being the best, getting respect, being #1 at his position, etc. Being the highest paid corner in football goes hand in hand with everything that he is about. Not a negative. Just the way the dude is wired. We might have a couple guys on this team who will be willing to take a bit less to stay around. I don't see Sherman as being one of them, however. But even if he does bolt for megabucks, it's all good. We still got at least another year, possibly two if we franchise him. It'll all work itself out just fine however it goes.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2g82o1nd said:
Franchise Tag, it's not up to him.

This.

I have no doubt Sherm wants "Revis money". He'd be nuts to accept less (within reason). I think the OP brings up a very good point and the writing is on the wall. Not telling anyone here anything not known, but it appears Pete can identify, then develop, DBs like no other. Nobody wants to see Sherm depart, but they ALL depart sooner or later.

Unless Sherm wants to hold out, he is at Pete's mercy...and as ugly as that sounds, for the betterment of team, it's the way it must be. Unless Sherm wants to strike a ridiculously friendly deal, I think he will be forced to play out his deal, then be F-tagged. He's handcuffed, really. A poor attitude or significant drop in production will only lessen his value after the tag is exhausted. Hey could be better, could be worse.

On the subject of Revis. Even though it's been speculated he wasn't used properly in TB, and probably not 100% healthy, his big payday looked like it was a template for Sherm but in reality, teams will be a bit more reluctant to break the bank on non-QBs, too. IMO.

It's all a bit messy, but not for our Hawks...and that's all that really matters. Right?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Rocket":ppo8k5sw said:
Basis4day":ppo8k5sw said:
Don't believe everything you read. Whether Sherman is here long term will have nothing to do with a single article the week after the Seahawks first super bowl win.

This "article" is different... it's his blog, HIS word choice.
This dude knows words.

The only choice is how you're choosing to read this article. Read the last line, "But I’m not thinking too much about next year and beyond that yet. Like I’ve said, I’ve got my blinders off, and I’m going to appreciate this championship for just a little bit longer."

Show me what words in that article say "I'm leaving for more money". That is what you're inferring because you claim the "writing is on the wall" in a thread with the subject line "Vio Con Dios Sherman".

At no point does Sherman even hint that he is certain he doesn't see himself here. He is merely saying that down the road a decision needs to be made. And he needs to make the best decision for himself. Maybe that means cashing out, maybe that means taking less money to stay and have a shot at history. All he is saying is he needs to make the best decision for himself.

Which everyone already knows. All he says about Bennett is that Bennett will make the best decision for himself. IF IF IF IF that means he will take more money from another team, so be it. That's business.

How do you conclude from this article that the "Writing is on the wall" and "Vio Con Dios Sherman"?

You can't.

This article makes no claim at certainty. I fact, the entire point of the article is uncertainty.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I have faith in Pete and John.
Besides, to much fun stuff going on, for me to worry about this right now.
Hell there ain't a dam thing any of us can do about it any way.
My hopes will be just as high and I'll cheer just as loud, regardless who is on the squad.
I wish the best for ANY of the guys that leave this team, no matter what the reasons.
The 2013 Seahawks have a place in my heart.
Just how I feel, not trying to be super fan. :)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This is a bad thread.

Sherman and Earl are both getting extending this year and it will be celebrated within the organization and should be celebrated in the fan base as well. They will take up about $20-25 million of a $125-130 million cap, and they will be well worth that amount.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":74g507b7 said:
SoulfishHawk":74g507b7 said:
Franchise Tag, it's not up to him.

This.

I have no doubt Sherm wants "Revis money". He'd be nuts to accept less (within reason). I think the OP brings up a very good point and the writing is on the wall. Not telling anyone here anything not known, but it appears Pete can identify, then develop, DBs like no other. Nobody wants to see Sherm depart, but they ALL depart sooner or later.

Unless Sherm wants to hold out, he is at Pete's mercy...and as ugly as that sounds, for the betterment of team, it's the way it must be. Unless Sherm wants to strike a ridiculously friendly deal, I think he will be forced to play out his deal, then be F-tagged. He's handcuffed, really. A poor attitude or significant drop in production will only lessen his value after the tag is exhausted. Hey could be better, could be worse.

On the subject of Revis. Even though it's been speculated he wasn't used properly in TB, and probably not 100% healthy, his big payday looked like it was a template for Sherm but in reality, teams will be a bit more reluctant to break the bank on non-QBs, too. IMO.

You do realize that players don't HAVE to sign their franchise tenders? Franchising a player is usually an insult. I think Sherman would lose his mind if he got Franchised.

I think there's a relatively good chance we re-sign him this offseason or at worst trade him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkWow":1grel8lx said:

People keep bringing up Revis when talking about Sherm's new contract, but that's not accurate.

Revis's contract is very unique. He took more non-guaranteed per season salary with much less of a signing bonus. 13 million salary + only 3 million per year in signing bonus.

That means that his cap hit is still big, but it also leaves him opening to getting cut and only getting his guaranteed signing bonus for the year.

My guess is that when Sherm signs his new contract, it'll be more of a traditional long term contract with less salary per year and more signing bonus that can be spread out in order to lessen the cap hit for the team.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You guys are insane if you think we don't extend Sherman and Thomas this off-season. Tampa Bay spent $24 million on Revis/Goldson. Sherman/Thomas is about 10x better as a duo, but will be available for the same price or less.

I don't get some people. You wring your hands over potentially losing mid-tier wide receivers who are a dime a dozen, but are ready to dismiss ELITE NFL DBs? OK...

SonicHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3pk1yxlt said:
You guys are insane if you think we don't extend Sherman and Thomas this off-season. Tampa Bay spent $24 million on Revis/Goldson. Sherman/Thomas is about 10x better as a duo, but will be available for the same price or less.

I don't get some people. You wring your hands over potentially losing mid-tier wide receivers who are a dime a dozen, but are ready to dismiss ELITE NFL DBs? OK...

Ready to dismiss or understand the reality of a salary cap league?

You're up in the clouds if you think it's a given we can sign Sherman & Thomas to historically large contracts and still be able to field the team we want. At some point you have to look at a player and determine whether that contract is worth it. Can we find someone who is serviceable replacement for millions upon millions of dollars less that gives us the ability to sign more players or do we hope that Sherman makes up for the players we could have signed?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SonicHawk":qjljb592 said:
MizzouHawkGal":qjljb592 said:
I really wish people would quit overthinking the Sherman situation and just assuming he's some Darrell Revis clone and all about the money. Regardless we'll find out next year.

Why wouldn't we worry?

I think he stated pretty clearly that he understands that sometimes teams just can't/won't pay players what they deserve and they have to leave to get what they want.

Staying in Seattle means no promise of a championship. Getting the best contract for you and your family is what is important. I'm sure he wants to stay here, but you can't expect him to say no to significantly more money.
I'm just saying he's not Revis his self worth isn't all tied into the amount of money he makes. Is he going to get big money? You better believe it . But it's not going to be anywhere near that ridiculous Revis contact. If they don't FT him I figure 12 million with a huge signing bonus is possible.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Revis signed a large contract with no guaranteed money. His deal really isn't that ridiculous. I mean, $16M a year is, but the guarantee part isn't.

Sherman is probably looking at $12-14 with guarantees.

aawolf

Reaction score
Geeze, way to ruin a great article which doesn't even talk about money.

He just said how proud he was of the team, what it meant to him personally, how hard they worked, and how he will miss those that must be gone; then, he even added what he might do after his playing career is over. I didn't see anything about money, nor could you speculate that he was asking for more money.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1vlc3cg9 said:
DavidSeven":1vlc3cg9 said:

You're up in the clouds if you think it's a given we can sign Sherman & Thomas to historically large contracts and still be able to field the team we want. At some point you have to look at a player and determine whether that contract is worth it. Can we find someone who is serviceable replacement for millions upon millions of dollars less that gives us the ability to sign more players or do we hope that Sherman makes up for the players we could have signed?

:roll:

Here, just listen to Seahawks cap guru (unless you think that the guys who actually study the Seahawks cap and roster are "in the clouds" too):

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 2h
Sick of all the handwringing about paying big stars a big chunk of your salary cap- and here is why...

...it does NOT doom you IF (1) your big time stars perform (2) u have other good players on rookie contracts from good/high volume drafting

Paying a young ORGANIC (you drafted him) player his 2nd deal is a CELEBRATION for your org- not a damn curse!!! It is IDEAL-

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 1h
Comes down to this- (and they may be able to keep KJ Wright if they hit on DL in draft next two years...)...but check it...

Would you rather have Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman at $11M per - $22M total? Or perhaps rather have 4 KJ Wrights (Danelle Ellerbe $?)...

And I would rather keep 2 Elite players vs 4 "Good" players because you have better chances finding Good vs Elite in Draft...

Lets say Earl and Sherm grade out at a 7.5 or 8.0 on scout grade- perhaps KJ Wright is a 6.7- 6.8 (good player) but you scan across....

...your draft board and your free agency board and you will find big population of "6s" and few "7s" and almost zero available "8s"

Or you can listen to FieldGulls:

Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls 40m
Having a few *ELITE* players on each side of the ball is very important, in my opinion. Hang on to those guys, pay them what they deserve

Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls 38m
Look at Niners, at Panthers. Elite players on defense allow other ‘role players’ to be better than they should be, or could be otherwise

Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls 43m
On defense, Earl Thomas & Richard Sherman.

Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls 37m
I think ppl misunderstood what I said about Sherman/Thomas. I was saying they are ELITE. I wrote it a little weird.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Let Sherman leave instead of paying him $20,000,000 IMO.

Hawks could bring Browner back, move Maxwell over and re-sign Thurmond and lock up Shead for half that price. With the other $10,000,000 we could go after another stud pass rusher and still win a championship. I love Shermans game, his attitude leaves some to be desired however,

Trying to be objetcive here..

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SonicHawk":18izmtpw said:
DavidSeven":18izmtpw said:

we just fielded the team we wanted with a bunch of late round draft picks, 1/2 year deals and undrafted free agents.
You are approaching this in a bubble. As if the strategy that got us here will suddenly be abandoned

Getting lucky is seeing Sherman for what he is.

Being good is seeing Wilson for what he can become

Being competitive for years to come is seeing what:

Bennet/Avril/Smith/Lane/Kearse/Baldwin/Wilson/Sherman/Kam/Lynch/Maxwell can do as a team.

we are the home of 2nd chances. this is moneyball, NFL style. If one walks... next man up!

enjoy it. i mean you honestly asked "why shouldnt we worry?

Because we just won the Super Bowl... 5 days ago... thats why

HawkWow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":d2pdy760 said:
HawkWow":d2pdy760 said:

People keep bringing up Revis when talking about Sherm's new contract, but that's not accurate.

Revis's contract is very unique. He took more non-guaranteed per season salary with much less of a signing bonus. 13 million salary + only 3 million per year in signing bonus.

That means that his cap hit is still big, but it also leaves him opening to getting cut and only getting his guaranteed signing bonus for the year.

My guess is that when Sherm signs his new contract, it'll be more of a traditional long term contract with less salary per year and more signing bonus that can be spread out in order to lessen the cap hit for the team.

Aw...thanks for the reminder. Head still swimming so looking towards the future with obscured vision.

Believe me, nothing I'd love more than to tie Sherman up, retire him as a Hawk. But my opinion won't count and I'm from the school of hope for the best, plan for the worst. I've done well living by that time tested mantra.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
BlueBlood":37d9l03y said:
Let Sherman leave instead of paying him $20,000,000 IMO.

Hawks could bring Browner back, move Maxwell over and re-sign Thurmond and lock up Shead for half that price. With the other $10,000,000 we could go after another stud pass rusher and still win a championship. I love Shermans game, his attitude leaves some to be desired however,

Trying to be objetcive here..

No one is paying Sherman $20m/yr. Both Sherman/Earl will be extended for $20-25m TOTAL. The economics are different when you sign a new deal (Revis) vs. an extension (Sherman). Risk to the player is eliminated with an extension, which is worth $$$ to them.

Being objective is fine, but be informed as well.