via con dios, Sherman, the writings on the wall

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Steve2222":vileyz5n said:
Uncle Si":vileyz5n said:
a. the Seahawks are not over the cap
b. there are a number of players coming off the books who will lower the cap
c. the cap goes up every year
d. you dont get paid to figure those things out. people who do and are good at it will find a way.

the consensus is that Wilson will work to ensure his next contract will allow the team to be successful. Thomas strikes me as doing something similar. They want to win.

as for Sherman, let's think a bit about who he is. He's the center of attention. He thrives on it. He needs it. Taking big money to go play for a team that wont be competitive, that doesnt have that chance year in/year out to reach a super bowl is not what he wants. He can make his money in endorsements. He wants to be on national tv, he wants to be deep in the playoffs, he wants to be interviews, etc.

for once, Seahawk fans, try and really enjoy what just happened. winning can have a massive impact on athletes decisions.

Ocho Cinco was able to make his presence felt on an average to above average team....Terrell Oens got plenty of attention on average to above average teams. You don't have to be on elite teams to make the media every week.

Do you not see the difference in the media attention of Owens and Chad Johnson over Ricahrd Sherman?

Seriously?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Rocket":2268o6kf said:
Steve2222":2268o6kf said:
I honestly think Sherm is going to want to be the highest paid Corner. I really have no doubt.

that.

The ultimate reversal of the slight of his being drafted late is winning The Show, which he's done, followed closely by MONEY. I'd bet that he has some form of a looped video of Cuba saying "show me the money" playing in his bedroom at night.

Note that this is, in no form, a dig at Richard Sherman... I'd do the same thing. It's not just an adventure, it's his JOB.

great attitude... and its backed up so well by Sherman's career path so far.

jesus....

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I can't read 4 pages on nonsense, even though I'm sure I am missing some really great points as well, so I'll just say this: I don't envy John Schneider one little bit. Not only will his decisions be difficult from a quality perspective, but they'll also be brutal from an emotional stance. It's hard to let go of players who you care about.

That said, his job is to assemble the best team within the constraints of the rules and salary cap. If letting Sherman go (which I don't see happening) enables us to field a better team overall, then that's what he'll have to do. I hope he can find a way to make things work, but I've no doubt that within a few months I'm going to be very sad about saying goodbye to some great players.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Rocket":2evu4pj6 said:
Basis4day":2evu4pj6 said:
Show me what words in that article say "I'm leaving for more money". That is what you're inferring because you claim the "writing is on the wall" in a thread with the subject line "Vio Con Dios Sherman".

How do you conclude from this article that the "Writing is on the wall" and "Vio Con Dios Sherman"?

You can't.

Wow... I didn't just fire the dude, nor am I suggesting it be done, I'm just offering a semi-educated opinion. Please... don't shoot.

First, the phrase "writing on the wall" is a colloquialism relating to an inference, so I get to infer. I made such conclusion based on my DIRECT QUOTE of Richard Sherman's words and my explanation of my inference therein, plus my observation over time that the dude is conversationally complex and often speaks indirectly but still quite clearly. He expressed quite clearly his perspective of how the compensation part of football is done, albeit indirectly.

I hope he stays... but he's quite bright and he's positioned himself to make a ludicrous amount of money.

It's a false conclusion. The writing is not on the wall.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Sorry, but this thread is lame. At no point in that article did Sherman imply he was leaving because the Hawks won't pay him. He's an RFA, so unless some team wants to pay him ridiculous money the Hawks can't match, he's not going anywhere this next season. And I think he's more of a team player than some of you give him credit.

Either way, the Super Bowl was just 5 days ago. Can we just enjoy it and trust John to do his job?

DTexHawk

Reaction score
We sure do stick together around here. It's what makes us a team!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":g8e56uw5 said:
I can't read 4 pages on nonsense, even though I'm sure I am missing some really great points as well, so I'll just say this: I don't envy John Schneider one little bit. Not only will his decisions be difficult from a quality perspective, but they'll also be brutal from an emotional stance. It's hard to let go of players who you care about.

That said, his job is to assemble the best team within the constraints of the rules and salary cap. If letting Sherman go (which I don't see happening) enables us to field a better team overall, then that's what he'll have to do. I hope he can find a way to make things work, but I've no doubt that within a few months I'm going to be very sad about saying goodbye to some great players.

Matt is wise.

Seriously, though, this is the point that the Seahawks have been building toward for years now. At first, they were tearing down and starting over, essentially. And there was a great gnashing of teeth here over the losses of guys like Sims, Josh Wilson, Darryl Tapp, etc. We still have guys who are playing on that level - the pretty good, but not must-have, elite level - and those guys are going to either re-sign with us for reasonable deals or they're going to make bank off of their success while with the Seahawks. We're definitely going to be saying goodbye to guys like Breno, McQuistan, Mike Rob, Miller, Farwell, McDaniel, etc. over and over again in the next several years. And it will hurt more because they're part of the most successful team in franchise history.

But that's how you sustain success and contender status. You identify your elite, can't-lose guys and you pay them - handsomely. Everyone else gets replaced through the draft.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tical21":30cuwwm8 said:
You're BS crazy if you don't think both of these players will be the highest paid players at their positions. The Seahawks are already over the cap, and that is without Bennett, Breno, McDonald/Daniel, Hauschka, Robinson, etc. And they're going to come up with 45 more million per year to sign Sherman/Thomas and Wilson within the next 13 months. Sorry, but there is just about zero chance that they get all three, even if they cut Red, Clemons, Rice and Miller. And after these four guys are gone, they don't look like they're going to have dead money they can cut to make more room in future seasons.

If they do sign all three (Wilson, Sherm, Earl), they aren't signing Bennett, Tate, Breno, Hauschka, whoever is up next year, the year after that, or the year after that, and they aren't bringing anybody in. I've tried to stay very optimistic, but I don't see any possible way that they can keep all three. Even two is going to make the cap room extremely cozy.
They are 2-3 million UNDER the cap without making a move such as cutting Clemons or restructuring Rice etc.

HawkWow

Reaction score
sc85sis":2pzi0u2d said:
Sorry, but this thread is lame. At no point in that article did Sherman imply he was leaving because the Hawks won't pay him. He's an RFA, so unless some team wants to pay him ridiculous money the Hawks can't match, he's not going anywhere this next season. And I think he's more of a team player than some of you give him credit.

Either way, the Super Bowl was just 5 days ago. Can we just enjoy it and trust John to do his job?

I've not seen any posts suggesting Sherm would be gone next year. I think the OP is considering a future without Sherman. I think like Pete, we are all enjoying this championship, bro...but I'd bet Pete isn't sitting around right now stroking his Lombardi.

Lots of posts in here suggesting this discussion should be off limits or taboo. That I don't understand. We have zero impact on any team related operations and if a thread appears it may bring someone down off their SB high, why even indulge in it?

After 37 years of virtual mediocrity, I can certainly understand fans strategizing what they think would be the wisest moves in getting us another title. That does not make those fans lesser fans than those refusing a glimpse at reality. In fact, probably the opposite is more true, even in spinning their wheels. No single component is more important than the team and that's all I'm seeing, feeling here.

Who looks forward to Sherm's departure? Raise your hand. Yeah, nobody.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I think we'll wait to see how Patrick Peterson is paid before we decide what Sherms price really is.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":34bpdgia said:
SoulfishHawk":34bpdgia said:
Franchise Tag, it's not up to him.

I don't see that happening. Sherman's not like big Walt where he was content to just hold out every offseason and get franchised year after year.

Sherman is all about being respected, so there's no way he'd be cool with getting franchised............from a salary perspective OR a respect perspective.

Its not his choice.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2sob41s1 said:
MysterMatt":2sob41s1 said:

Matt is wise.

Seriously, though, this is the point that the Seahawks have been building toward for years now. At first, they were tearing down and starting over, essentially. And there was a great gnashing of teeth here over the losses of guys like Sims, Josh Wilson, Darryl Tapp, etc. We still have guys who are playing on that level - the pretty good, but not must-have, elite level - and those guys are going to either re-sign with us for reasonable deals or they're going to make bank off of their success while with the Seahawks. We're definitely going to be saying goodbye to guys like Breno, McQuistan, Mike Rob, Miller, Farwell, McDaniel, etc. over and over again in the next several years. And it will hurt more because they're part of the most successful team in franchise history.

But that's how you sustain success and contender status. You identify your elite, can't-lose guys and you pay them - handsomely. Everyone else gets replaced through the draft.

Well put. Everyone should read. I especially like that you brought up Josh Wilson. This team is going to release a dozen Josh Wilsons in the upcoming years, and I bet we see the same level of whining. Who even thinks about Josh Wilson anymore? And yet we all still remember the one instance we let go of an ELITE player in his prime (Hutch).

You build around a handful of elite players, and they will make all the Josh Wilsons on your roster play better. Right now, that group includes the LOB, Russell, Percy and Marshawn.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1x5megvv said:
MizzouHawkGal":1x5megvv said:
They are 2-3 million UNDER the cap without making a move such as cutting Clemons or restructuring Rice etc.

Actually they're currently 4.25 million over the projected 2014 cap.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... rter-reign
That's a projection for 2014 not our current situation which is 2.85 million under the cap without making a move. At least read ALL of your article.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":mhqbn806 said:
Sgt. Largent":mhqbn806 said:
SoulfishHawk":mhqbn806 said:

I don't see that happening. Sherman's not like big Walt where he was content to just hold out every offseason and get franchised year after year.

Sherman is all about being respected, so there's no way he'd be cool with getting franchised............from a salary perspective OR a respect perspective.

Its not his choice.

True, it's not. But players do not like being franchised, because franchising is a last resort when the two sides can't come up with a long term deal. Sherm is the kind of player that would hold a grudge against management for making him play on a one year franchise tag............which would sour him and even might make him WANT to leave.

So just cavalierly saying "it's not his choice" is a horrible stance to take if your JS, because it might wreck the relationship.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ovv97ccr said:
ImTheScientist":ovv97ccr said:
Sgt. Largent":ovv97ccr said:
SoulfishHawk":ovv97ccr said:

Its not his choice.

True, it's not. But players do not like being franchised, because franchising is a last resort when the two sides can't come up with a long term deal. Sherm is the kind of player that would hold a grudge against management for making him play on a one year franchise tag............which would sour him and even might make him WANT to leave.

So just cavalierly saying "it's not his choice" is a horrible stance to take if your JS, because it might wreck the relationship.

might....might not. If you can't sign him you have to franchise him. No choice. The fact that you are willing to do so is leverage.

sc85sis

Reaction score
HawkWow":15yqlcp1 said:
sc85sis":15yqlcp1 said:

I've not seen any posts suggesting Sherm would be gone next year. I think the OP is considering a future without Sherman. I think like Pete, we are all enjoying this championship, bro...but I'd bet Pete isn't sitting around right now stroking his Lombardi.

Lots of posts in here suggesting this discussion should be off limits or taboo. That I don't understand. We have zero impact on any team related operations and if a thread appears it may bring someone down off their SB high, why even indulge in it?

After 37 years of virtual mediocrity, I can certainly understand fans strategizing what they think would be the wisest moves in getting us another title. That does not make those fans lesser fans than those refusing a glimpse at reality. In fact, probably the opposite is more true, even in spinning their wheels. No single component is more important than the team and that's all I'm seeing, feeling here.

Who looks forward to Sherm's departure? Raise your hand. Yeah, nobody.
The problem is that the original post assumes it's a foregone conclusion that Sherm is gone and that Sherm's MMQB article is somehow evidence that proves it. The article doesn't even reference Sherm's personal situation. If anything, you could say he assumes he will stay with the team based in his use of "we" and "us" throughout.