via con dios, Sherman, the writings on the wall

Basis4day

Reaction score
BlueBlood":p8v58qsr said:
Let Sherman leave instead of paying him $20,000,000 IMO.

Hawks could bring Browner back, move Maxwell over and re-sign Thurmond and lock up Shead for half that price. With the other $10,000,000 we could go after another stud pass rusher and still win a championship. I love Shermans game, his attitude leaves some to be desired however,

Trying to be objetcive here..

Browner is suspended for at least a year, Thurmond has an injury history and Shead is a safety. And you want to get rid of a two time All-Pro (So Far) because of attitude?

drdiags

Reaction score
Until it happens, I am going to just try to enjoy the team as assembled. I fully expect Sherman to go for the best contract for a CB. With Revis money not technically having any guarantees, I think you need to drop the value to 12 Mil or so. Now if they franchise him, the NFLPA will require that Revis money used in the top 5 calculations if they still use that Exclusive vs standard Franchise tagging.

I think Trufant's contract had him making 9.5M years ago when he got his extension. Just have to let things go the way the business is designed. I think human nature has to come into play. As a fan, sure I am being greedy and hope there are ways to keep the best but that is because I am being selfish. Yet there are some who will skewer players if they exhibit the same human nature instincts. It is always easy to spend other people's money.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2hdi3zcc said:
HawkWow":2hdi3zcc said:
SoulfishHawk":2hdi3zcc said:
Franchise Tag, it's not up to him.

This.

I have no doubt Sherm wants "Revis money". He'd be nuts to accept less (within reason). I think the OP brings up a very good point and the writing is on the wall. Not telling anyone here anything not known, but it appears Pete can identify, then develop, DBs like no other. Nobody wants to see Sherm depart, but they ALL depart sooner or later.

Unless Sherm wants to hold out, he is at Pete's mercy...and as ugly as that sounds, for the betterment of team, it's the way it must be. Unless Sherm wants to strike a ridiculously friendly deal, I think he will be forced to play out his deal, then be F-tagged. He's handcuffed, really. A poor attitude or significant drop in production will only lessen his value after the tag is exhausted. Hey could be better, could be worse.

On the subject of Revis. Even though it's been speculated he wasn't used properly in TB, and probably not 100% healthy, his big payday looked like it was a template for Sherm but in reality, teams will be a bit more reluctant to break the bank on non-QBs, too. IMO.

You do realize that players don't HAVE to sign their franchise tenders? Franchising a player is usually an insult. I think Sherman would lose his mind if he got Franchised.

I think there's a relatively good chance we re-sign him this offseason or at worst trade him.

Of course I realize he don't have to sign the F-tag. I also realize he could retire or play in Russia. The F-tag isn't widely seen as an insult, not by business savvy players, at least. That perception is because a few are insulted...you don't hear of the ones that weren't.

With that, what good would be served if Sherman were to "lose his mind" or not sign the tender? Not much. Unless he's going to Russia.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Basis4day":1x1r64pa said:
BlueBlood":1x1r64pa said:

Hawks could bring Browner back, move Maxwell over and re-sign Thurmond and lock up Shead for half that price. With the other $10,000,000 we could go after another stud pass rusher and still win a championship. I love Shermans game, his attitude leaves some to be desired however,

Browner is suspended for at least a year, Thurmond has an injury history and Shead is a safety. And you want to get rid of a two time All-Pro (So Far) because of attitude?

Must have went to the Tim Ruskell school of GMing.

For all you dudes, the last time the Seahawks let a player of Sherm's caliber go, his name was Steve Hutchinson. I'm sure many of you probably thought Walter Jones would make the next LG just as good, too. How did that work out?

You don't let go elite players at their position. Period.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2y5ymfte said:
Revis signed a large contract with no guaranteed money. His deal really isn't that ridiculous. I mean, $16M a year is, but the guarantee part isn't.

Sherman is probably looking at $12-14 with guarantees.
Not for him it isn't. And 12-14 for Sherman sounds realistic, personally I think it'll take 12.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2rfnryer said:

Sherman's attitude is what drives his game. You don't get one without the other.

With that said, Thomas and Sherman work so very well together that it's silly to consider letting either of them walk.

Yeah, it'll be pricey. But that duo (plus Chancellor) allows the team to continue building and developing guys via the draft. They make other players better as a result of their excellence.

And paying both of them signifies to everyone that Seattle drafts that if you prove your stardom on your rookie deal, the team will take care of you. That (plus Carroll, plus the facilities, plus the SB win) is what will make Seattle the prime destination for every single NFL player and it's what will keep the drafted youngsters going balls out to prove their worth.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
David --

I completely agree that the goal is to keep Sherman and Thomas and pay them their value. But it also has to come down to Sherman and Thomas accepting a contract. We have no idea what Sherman's agent is telling him what he can get on the open market.

If we're able to pay Sherman & Thomas $22M total a year? F*** yeah!

Thomas is the best safety in the league, he can easily command $10M/year. Sherman is the best CB in the league, he can easily command $12M. That's about where you are able to go. If you start talking about Thomas getting $12 and Sherman getting $14 you start really eating at your cap.

Tical21

Reaction score
You're BS crazy if you don't think both of these players will be the highest paid players at their positions. The Seahawks are already over the cap, and that is without Bennett, Breno, McDonald/Daniel, Hauschka, Robinson, etc. And they're going to come up with 45 more million per year to sign Sherman/Thomas and Wilson within the next 13 months. Sorry, but there is just about zero chance that they get all three, even if they cut Red, Clemons, Rice and Miller. And after these four guys are gone, they don't look like they're going to have dead money they can cut to make more room in future seasons.

If they do sign all three (Wilson, Sherm, Earl), they aren't signing Bennett, Tate, Breno, Hauschka, whoever is up next year, the year after that, or the year after that, and they aren't bringing anybody in. I've tried to stay very optimistic, but I don't see any possible way that they can keep all three. Even two is going to make the cap room extremely cozy.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I honestly think Sherm is going to want to be the highest paid Corner. I really have no doubt....and I think that's scary locking down so much money on a corner. If he wants that, I have no problem saying good riddance.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SonicHawk":ti2xsibr said:
David --

I completely agree that the goal is to keep Sherman and Thomas and pay them their value. But it also has to come down to Sherman and Thomas accepting a contract. We have no idea what Sherman's agent is telling him what he can get on the open market.

If we're able to pay Sherman & Thomas $22M total a year? F*** yeah!

Thomas is the best safety in the league, he can easily command $10M/year. Sherman is the best CB in the league, he can easily command $12M. That's about where you are able to go. If you start talking about Thomas getting $12 and Sherman getting $14 you start really eating at your cap.

That's the difference between extending them now and letting them hit the open market. If you get the deals done now, then I think you're looking at the lower 20s for both of them, because guarantees + immediate assurance of a big contract will drive their prices down. If you make either wait a year, then you enter the wild west. That's why it's important to get it done sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
Rocket

Rocket

Reaction score
Basis4day":3gc172zg said:
Show me what words in that article say "I'm leaving for more money". That is what you're inferring because you claim the "writing is on the wall" in a thread with the subject line "Vio Con Dios Sherman".

How do you conclude from this article that the "Writing is on the wall" and "Vio Con Dios Sherman"?

You can't.

Wow... I didn't just fire the dude, nor am I suggesting it be done, I'm just offering a semi-educated opinion. Please... don't shoot.

First, the phrase "writing on the wall" is a colloquialism relating to an inference, so I get to infer. I made such conclusion based on my DIRECT QUOTE of Richard Sherman's words and my explanation of my inference therein, plus my observation over time that the dude is conversationally complex and often speaks indirectly but still quite clearly. He expressed quite clearly his perspective of how the compensation part of football is done, albeit indirectly.

I hope he stays... but he's quite bright and he's positioned himself to make a ludicrous amount of money.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
If you could tell Sherman that instead of getting his crap contract next year + franchising him the year after for a total of $14 or so million dollars that he could make $22 over that same span, maybe we can grab him at $11/year. 5 Year, $55M. That would mean he would still be in line for another 4-5 year deal after that easily.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tical21":vughm009 said:
If they do sign all three (Wilson, Sherm, Earl), they aren't signing Bennett, Tate, Breno, Hauschka, whoever is up next year, the year after that, or the year after that, and they aren't bringing anybody in. I've tried to stay very optimistic, but I don't see any possible way that they can keep all three. Even two is going to make the cap room extremely cozy.

We're seriously going to worry about mid-tier guys who can easily be replaced in the draft? This thinking drives me crazy. It's like not paying Walter Jones or Hutchinson because we're scared of losing four Bobby Engrams. There are Bobby Engrams everywhere!

I love Hausch, but come on, man. The best kicker in any given draft is available in the 6th-7th round every year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":12lqczfu said:
You're BS crazy if you don't think both of these players will be the highest paid players at their positions. The Seahawks are already over the cap, and that is without Bennett, Breno, McDonald/Daniel, Hauschka, Robinson, etc. And they're going to come up with 45 more million per year to sign Sherman/Thomas and Wilson within the next 13 months. Sorry, but there is just about zero chance that they get all three, even if they cut Red, Clemons, Rice and Miller. And after these four guys are gone, they don't look like they're going to have dead money they can cut to make more room in future seasons.

a. the Seahawks are not over the cap
b. there are a number of players coming off the books who will lower the cap
c. the cap goes up every year
d. you dont get paid to figure those things out. people who do and are good at it will find a way.

the consensus is that Wilson will work to ensure his next contract will allow the team to be successful. Thomas strikes me as doing something similar. They want to win.

as for Sherman, let's think a bit about who he is. He's the center of attention. He thrives on it. He needs it. Taking big money to go play for a team that wont be competitive, that doesnt have that chance year in/year out to reach a super bowl is not what he wants. He can make his money in endorsements. He wants to be on national tv, he wants to be deep in the playoffs, he wants to be interviews, etc.

for once, Seahawk fans, try and really enjoy what just happened. winning can have a massive impact on athletes decisions.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Tical21":19lpp4od said:
You're BS crazy if you don't think both of these players will be the highest paid players at their positions. The Seahawks are already over the cap, and that is without Bennett, Breno, McDonald/Daniel, Hauschka, Robinson, etc. And they're going to come up with 45 more million per year to sign Sherman/Thomas and Wilson within the next 13 months. Sorry, but there is just about zero chance that they get all three. If they do, they aren't signing Bennett, Tate, Breno, Hauschka, whoever is up next year, the year after that, or the year after that, and they aren't bringing anybody in. I've tried to stay very optimistic, but I don't see any possible way that they can keep all three. Even two is going to make the cap room extremely cozy.

Seahawks are already over the cap? Link?

You do realize that Thomas and Sherman can both be extended and the contracts worked in a way that tweaks their bigger cap hits so they fall in differing years, right?

And Wilson doesn't even enter the picture until next offseason.

The team is fully capable of signing all three and keeping Bennett, Hauschka, and a few other contributors.

But you're right in that the team will likely stay out of the FA market. They're in maintenance mode now, where they will prefer to homegrow the replacements for anyone who leaves in FA.

OP
OP
Rocket

Rocket

Reaction score
Steve2222":2r6xak2b said:
I honestly think Sherm is going to want to be the highest paid Corner. I really have no doubt.

that.

The ultimate reversal of the slight of his being drafted late is winning The Show, which he's done, followed closely by MONEY. I'd bet that he has some form of a looped video of Cuba saying "show me the money" playing in his bedroom at night.

Note that this is, in no form, a dig at Richard Sherman... I'd do the same thing. It's not just an adventure, it's his JOB.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1wft79oo said:
Tical21":1wft79oo said:

a. the Seahawks are not over the cap
b. there are a number of players coming off the books who will lower the cap
c. the cap goes up every year
d. you dont get paid to figure those things out. people who do and are good at it will find a way.

the consensus is that Wilson will work to ensure his next contract will allow the team to be successful. Thomas strikes me as doing something similar. They want to win.

as for Sherman, let's think a bit about who he is. He's the center of attention. He thrives on it. He needs it. Taking big money to go play for a team that wont be competitive, that doesnt have that chance year in/year out to reach a super bowl is not what he wants. He can make his money in endorsements. He wants to be on national tv, he wants to be deep in the playoffs, he wants to be interviews, etc.

for once, Seahawk fans, try and really enjoy what just happened. winning can have a massive impact on athletes decisions.

Ocho Cinco was able to make his presence felt on an average to above average team....Terrell Oens got plenty of attention on average to above average teams. You don't have to be on elite teams to make the media every week.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Just my opinion but I think Sherman and the rest of the L.O.B. work together with the GM to keep this thing together and rolling strong. Now i don't think Sherman will play for free but I doubt he would leave this team purely for monetary reasons. Superbowl champions make money and I think Sherman has positioned himself nicely because he has made himself a brand with his play and personality. Now add in his T-shirt buisiness mixed with the 12th man nation I doubt he will be hurting too bad financially. I don't anticipate a Darelle Revis situation where he holds the club hostage for two years and everyone suffers. i think Sherman and the rest of the L.O.B know that winning championships brings opprotunities to be happy on and off the field.

dradee

Reaction score
The NFL salary cap is way to low as it stands now. The NFL and owners make money hand over fist because of this and are handicapping good teams that find good players in the draft. What has Seattle done wrong?
Seattle finds and develops great players from within and then gets penalized by not being able to pay them fair market value.

NFL should allow teams to have 2 players salary exempt from the cap, one defensive and one offensive player salary exempt. Makes no sense to penalize a team for finding and developing talent from within and then have to let them leave just because we cant afford fair market value.

Hope Sherman stays!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Revis has no guarantees in his deal. The bloated paper numbers are just window dressing. He could be cut tomorrow with no consequence to Tampa Bay. Any smart NFL player knows that every deal is about the guarantees only. Sherman is a smart NFL player.

The next highest paid CB with a "real" contract is making $10 million/yr. Sherm will make a little more than, and it will be well-deserved.