Was the Geno Smith hit Bush league?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
First off, this thread has nothing to do with Geno Smith's ability at QB so please don't devolve this discussion (if it goes anywhere) into a conversation about our backup QB situation.

In the 1st quarter when Geno Smith got sacked on a corner blitz, his head appeared to hit the ground violently, and he immediately grabbed his head.

Shockingly, no roughing the QB was called on the play. Even more surprising to me was the Seahawks nor the refs put him into a concussion protocol. He ended up leaving the game two series later with a concussion.

Color commentator Dave Wyman pointed out in the 4th quarter that the Raider's aggressive playcall to start the game was "unusual." He essentially called out Gruden for being too aggressive to begin the game by calling a corner blitz against a rookie left tackle, putting the opponent's QB at risk for injury. Stone Forsythe didn't diagnose the corner blitz, and Geno paid for it.

Did anyone else pick up what Wyman was saying late in tonight's game? Do you agree that Gruden was being bush league or, dare I say, dirty by calling a corner blitz in the beginning of a pre season game? Or was it a fair play that Stone Forsythe needs to learn from? Was the hit itself dirty?
I'm not aware of any kind of "unwritten rule" against calling corner blitzes on rookie tackles in pre season. We began calling corner blitzes the next series as well.

[youtube]ilbSgtUtwo0[/youtube]

knownone

Reaction score
Jerhawk":oc19rang said:
First off, this thread has nothing to do with Geno Smith's ability at QB so please don't devolve this discussion (if it goes anywhere) into a conversation about our backup QB situation.

In the 1st quarter when Geno Smith got sacked on a corner blitz, his head appeared to hit the ground violently, and he immediately grabbed his head.

Shockingly, no roughing the QB was called on the play. Even more surprising to me was the Seahawks nor the refs put him into a concussion protocol. He ended up leaving the game two series later with a concussion.

Color commentator Dave Wyman pointed out in the 4th quarter that the Raider's aggressive playcall to start the game was "unusual." He essentially called out Gruden for being too aggressive to begin the game by calling a corner blitz against a rookie left tackle, putting the opponent's QB at risk for injury. Stone Forsythe didn't diagnose the corner blitz, and Geno paid for it.

Did anyone else pick up what Wyman was saying late in tonight's game? Do you agree that Gruden was being bush league or, dare I say, dirty by calling a corner blitz in the beginning of a pre season game? Or was it a fair play that Stone Forsythe needs to learn from? Was the hit itself dirty?
I'm not aware of any kind of "unwritten rule" against calling corner blitzes on rookie tackles in pre season. We began calling corner blitzes the next series as well.

[youtube]ilbSgtUtwo0[/youtube]
Looks like football.

I don't think it was a bush-league play call or dirty hit.

Smellyman

Reaction score
it was more the helmet to helmet hit. Corner went high and earholed Smith with his facemask.

Slowing down the above video you can see the violence of it.

Spohawks

Reaction score
It was helmet to helmet, even if it was just the defenders facemask, but it was enough for a concussion. Even though the 3rd and 4th string guys didn't look horrible, they are projects. The Hawks need Smith back, just in case.

Tokadub

Reaction score
You can't have it both ways. Pete has the mantra "always compete". What better way to make a name for yourself than retiring the opposing QB.

I do think roughing the passer should of gotten like 3 flags there, it couldn't be a more blatant foul. I generally dislike that rule but if it exists this is a textbook example 101 where to enforce it.

That being said I have no problem with it in terms of the teamplay (you are more likely to win after that hit). Personally I wouldn't hit a guy that hard in preseason unless he was talking trash.

I think it was fine, but not my cup of tea if I'm a player. I would like to have a good reputation in the league and try to not injure people.

xray

Reaction score
Gruden was too aggressive ? That's Raider football . Maybe Carroll should try that sometime .

Msfann

Reaction score
I thought it was a bit much for the first preseason game. No fines or anything just kind of a dirty hit.
I imagine Seattle would have returned the favor but they never catch qb's.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Smellyman":ro6d6fvy said:
it was more the helmet to helmet hit. Corner went high and earholed Smith with his facemask.

Slowing down the above video you can see the violence of it.

Looked more like a WWE clothesline to me except running 4x faster.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I don't see where there was anywhere near enough direct contact to cause a concussion until Smith's head hit the ground.

Not a dirty hit. Maybe a bit high, and considering the calls to protect qbs, maybe not consistent with that. Rodgers gets that call 100%.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I thought it was a little bit too much -

Thought it was a little too much 'thrown to the ground in a headlock' for me - but on the edge a little bit -

Was surprised there wasn't a call -

TreeRon

Reaction score
I thought the call by Gruden was aggressive for pre season game that means nothing. What exactly did he see from the results that will be helpful when the actual season begins?

notyou

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he didn't want to lose the teams 1st game ever in that city.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Yea, early on I wondered if the game wasn't as set up.

pugs1

Reaction score
Helmet to helmet plus he left his feet. That conncussion could end up be pretty bad with the first hit to the helmet and ping ponging off of another defender and the ground. I hope Geno is ok. It's bush IMO calling corner blitzes in the first preseason game. F Gruden

HawkStrong

Reaction score
xray":37lymlok said:
Gruden was too aggressive ? That's Raider football . Maybe Carroll should try that sometime .

Gruden has a 19-29 win loss record in this stint with the Raiders. I don't think Carroll should be taking any cues from that washed up hack.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkStrong":2d1r5b64 said:
xray":2d1r5b64 said:

Gruden has a 19-29 win loss record in this stint with the Raiders. I don't think Carroll should be taking any cues from that washed up hack.
This^^..I like Gruden okay, BUT, I'd take Pete over Gruden 100% every time.

edogg23

Reaction score
Slightly off topic and I hope Geno is fine. Did anyone else want to laugh out loud when Dave Wyman called Geno one of the best backup qb’s in the league?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
19-29, yeah let's take a page from the overrated Gruden :roll:

Raider football? You mean losing all the time? They haven't been relevant for years.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It was a penalty under the current rules but that doesn't matter in a preseason game. I don't have a problem with a corner blitz play call but it does give off a desperate feeling, which is fine because that's what the Raiders are this season.

edogg23":1rzrjcr7 said:
Slightly off topic and I hope Geno is fine. Did anyone else want to laugh out loud when Dave Wyman called Geno one of the best backup qb’s in the league?
I'm not sure what you think the typical NFL backup quarterback is like but here's the current crop of second stringers.

AFC East: Mitchell Trubisky, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mac Jones, Mike White
AFC North: Mason Rudolph, Case Keenum, Brandon Allen, Tyler Huntley
AFC South: Jeff Driskell, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger, Logan Woodside
AFC West: Drew Lock, Marcus Mariota, Chad Henne, Chase Daniel
NFC East: Garrett Gilbert, Mike Glennon, Joe Flacco, Taylor Heinicke
NFC North: Justin Fields, David Blough, Jordan Love, Jake Browning
NFC South: AJ McCarron, PJ Walker, Jameis Winston, Blaine Gabbert
NFC West: Colt McCoy, John Wolford, Trey Lance, Geno Smith

Who would you rather plug in to play immediately in our system over Geno? Fitz... and that's probably it, maybe Minshew. Obviously the upside of guys like Mond, Love, Fields and Lance is attractive down the road, but our backup QB job is about being able to give us a chance to win in 2021 for a brief period if something relatively minor happens to Russ. We're not in developmental/quarterback of the future mode yet.

xray":1rzrjcr7 said:
The Raiders don't even have a division title to their name since 2002, so maybe cool the jets a little bit on the weird hype train?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It shouldn't be a penalty, but in today's NFL it is. Like someone said above, in today's NFL, that is probably 3 or 4 RTP penalties. Really amazed that none of them were flagged.

Bush league? Nah. It's just football. It's on the player to play the call within the rules.