Was the offense really that bad?

adeltaY

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":fuvjkzkg said:
Aros":fuvjkzkg said:
There are some pretty ridiculous RW-related commentary in this thread that I refuse to engage but I will say this:

Russell is visibly slower than he ever has been pre-injuries (2016). He is taking a lot of sacks he wouldn't have before (see: getting beat by bigger lineman he never would have been beaten by years past). I thought after he lost the weight and recovered from his injuries this past offseason he would be back to his old self but it's definitely noticeable every single time he runs or attempts to escape a sack. His top speed and burst is gone. And it's not like he's in his mid 30's. He is in the PRIME of his career. I have to wonder if he's never been able to be the same after the punishment and injuries he took last year.

No, speed isn't the reason for some stupid sacks he takes but it most definitely is part of the issue that nobody seems to be talking much about.

To be fair Aros, D. Lawrence is a beast, doesn't he lead the league in sacks?

Both great points. I initially was surprised that he got caught on that sack, but DLaw is a freak among freaks and his having a career year. DLinemen are only getting more and more athletic. I also think only a few weeks ago I read around here people were saying Russ looks fully back to speed. I mean if you look at some of the runs he had this game even he was pretty fast.

Anthony!

Reaction score
adeltaY":1gulagvm said:
NFSeahawks628":1gulagvm said:
Aros":1gulagvm said:
There are some pretty ridiculous RW-related commentary in this thread that I refuse to engage but I will say this:

Russell is visibly slower than he ever has been pre-injuries (2016). He is taking a lot of sacks he wouldn't have before (see: getting beat by bigger lineman he never would have been beaten by years past). I thought after he lost the weight and recovered from his injuries this past offseason he would be back to his old self but it's definitely noticeable every single time he runs or attempts to escape a sack. His top speed and burst is gone. And it's not like he's in his mid 30's. He is in the PRIME of his career. I have to wonder if he's never been able to be the same after the punishment and injuries he took last year.

No, speed isn't the reason for some stupid sacks he takes but it most definitely is part of the issue that nobody seems to be talking much about.

To be fair Aros, D. Lawrence is a beast, doesn't he lead the league in sacks?

Both great points. I initially was surprised that he got caught on that sack, but DLaw is a freak among freaks and his having a career year. DLinemen are only getting more and more athletic. I also think only a few weeks ago I read around here people were saying Russ looks fully back to speed. I mean if you look at some of the runs he had this game even he was pretty fast.

he is not lossing speed, the guy who got him is a freak,and he is waitng longer to take off so the gusy chasing him have a head start

getnasty

Reaction score
Anthony!":11ihiwh1 said:
ducks41468":11ihiwh1 said:
Wilson didn't even have a bad game outside of like 2 early drives. He started 2-7 with 4 of the 5 incompletions coming on deep throws. Then once we passed the scripted play threshold around midway through the 2nd quarter Wilson finished 12-14 with no sacks and some key runs thrown in as well. Our running game was completely useless as usual (Davis 15 carries for 25 yards) and we were playing from ahead for most of the game, and as we know we don't take chances in the passing game when we're ahead.

dude 66% complt, 2 tds no ints 107 QB rating, making up 89% of our offensive yards and all our offensive tds, be are leading rusher that sucks, any qb could do that and more, I mean our oline is great we have the best RBs and our oc and oline coach are fantastic. Its Russell who is the problem.

89% of how many yards? Yeah your basically saying he accounted for a 89% of dogshit. Today our OL,OC,RB,WR were below average, you know who else was below average? Our QB.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seafan":2rjhnifu said:
RW just looks like he can't handle the pressure of being 86% of the offense. He does not look like his usual cool self. The last two weeks the Hawks have won/lost via field position. The defense won this game today. The offense lost the game last week and it all was due to turnovers and field position. Put RW inside the 20 with Graham and Baldwin and he's able to get some points. Make him drag this offense down the field 80 yards for an absolutely must need TD the whole thing seems to collapse. I blame this on the coaches.

agreed there is a reason no Qb has carried that much of a load in the SB era and then add the bad oline, I think if the oline was avg he would be fine but its not. Then add the bad play calling and design, So not only doe she have to be that mch of the offense but he gets little hel from his OC

adeltaY

Reaction score
Can you expect ANY QB to carry an offense with a run game that is as pathetic as ours? He's not blameless, but I can't think of any QB who has to do more. Brady has a run game. Brees has an elite run game this year. Even GB has some really promising young RBs for when Rodgers comes back next year. Ryan has a great run game and his stats are a joke this year. Big Ben has a top OL, top RB, and top WR and his numbers aren't as good as Russell's.

Opposing defenses can stop our run game on the way to rush the passer. The run game outside of Russ is completely dysfunctional and it puts him in awful positions game in and game out. You can't ask any QB in this league to carry a team for a whole season like that.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Aros":3dlo91gm said:
How much is it just a truly pathetic OL versus our receivers not getting separation? It seemed to me that Russell - when he did have time to throw - just couldn't find anyone open, like, EVER.

It's the total combination of:
1) an archaic offensive philosophy by stubborn Pete,

2) Our OC- chracteristic piss poor scripted plays/lack of adjustments/poor use or misuse of the talent we have/illogical situational play calling/poorly designed plays for the OL we have

3) Disastrous OL that never really improves much with the wrong players running the ZBS--all on Cable

4) Pete's bizarre and maddening refusal to alter any of the above and to just ramming head on like General Pickett into a wall of failure

5) inconsistent route sepatation/Wilson's refusal to throw guys open-he will only throw if the guy has 4 yards of separation

6) Wilson, despite his excellent overall season, still holds onto the ball too long at times

The fact that all this continues to persist and degrade into the crapfest we just saw now rests entirely on Pete. These are the coaches he evidently just loves and he's living in la la land thinking our results will improve.

Anthony!

Reaction score
adeltaY":2rk5gngp said:
Can you expect ANY QB to carry an offense with a run game that is as pathetic as ours? He's not blameless, but I can't think of any QB who has to do more. Brady has a run game. Brees has an elite run game this year. Even GB has some really promising young RBs for when Rodgers comes back next year. Ryan has a great run game and his stats are a joke this year. Big Ben has a top OL, top RB, and top WR and his numbers aren't as good as Russell's.

Opposing defenses can stop our run game on the way to rush the passer. The run game outside of Russ is completely dysfunctional and it puts him in awful positions game in and game out. You can't ask any QB in this league to carry a team for a whole season like that.

agree I have never siad he is blameless, but he s far down the road on blame and in fact think his biggest issue is trying to do to much but he has not choice. No QB has done more with less.

Anthony!

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2j8kjy2d said:
Aros":2j8kjy2d said:
How much is it just a truly pathetic OL versus our receivers not getting separation? It seemed to me that Russell - when he did have time to throw - just couldn't find anyone open, like, EVER.

It's the total combination of:
1) an archaic offensive philosophy by stubborn Pete,

2) Our OC- chracteristic piss poor scripted plays/lack of adjustments/poor use or misuse of the talent we have/illogical situational play calling/poorly designed plays for the OL we have

3) Disastrous OL that never really improves much with the wrong players running the ZBS--all on Cable

4) Pete's bizarre and maddening refusal to alter any of the above and to just ramming head on like General Pickett into a wall of failure

5) inconsistent route sepatation/Wilson's refusal to throw guys open-he will only throw if the guy has 4 yards of separation

6) Wilson, despite his excellent overall season, still holds onto the ball too long at times

The fact that all this continues to persist and degrade into the crapfest we just saw now rests entirely on Pete. These are the coaches he evidently just loves and he's living in la la land thinking our results will improve.

I actually agree with allot this but I think if 1-4 were fixed 5&6 would fix themsleves. 5 better plays and routes would get guys open, and PC changing would allow Rw to not be worried about things and let it fly. I also think the afor ementioned would make it so Rw doe snto nbeed to hold the ball as long as people woudl get open with better routes and C change would make him not so worried about tight throws.

907Hawk

Reaction score
After re-watching the game on the offensive side only, it was obvious the plan was to play conservative and not turn the ball over "Seahawk Football". The major stat in the game was 3 turnovers for Dallas and 0 for the Hawks. Russell is taking some heat for not being on time, his hitch where he has open receivers but does not pull the trigger was noticeable a couple of times but a sack is better than a pick. I thought he looked better in the second viewing, the running plays he made on the one long drive 13 plays 79 yards where classic #3. The running game was no bueno and needs to be fixed by the players or the coaches or both, its broke.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Typical Pete-approved road gameplan. Use field position, defense to keep things close and then strike hard at the end to seal the win. Offense did its part to do just that. Late touchdowns were nicely drawn up.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":22i1yh1o said:
Typical Pete-approved road gameplan. Use field position, defense to keep things close and then strike hard at the end to seal the win. Offense did its part to do just that. Late touchdowns were nicely drawn up.

LOL whatever you say LOL

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
ducks41468":1yxfawnh said:
We have such a weird fan base. We hate all of our players and coaches, no matter how good or bad they are. Franchise quarterback? He sucks and plays like garbage every game. Complete bust at RT? He sucks and plays like garbage every game. I read general NFL boards and the opinions of every other fanbase regarding our players is far more level-headed than our own.
Do we really have such a weird fan base? We have broken many records this year --- in numerous awful categories. For example, no team since the 66 Eagles has won a game with more penalty yards than offense yardage. This is a feat that we achieved today. The Seahawks could break the record for most penalties in one season. The Seahawks are leading the league in disqualifications, false starts, and defensive off-sides. The Seahawks have the longest streak without scoring any points on the first drive by an extremely large margin.

If I told anyone these statistics, many would not guess the team was a 9 win team. Going even further down the rabbit hole the Seahawks rank 21st in Rushing yards, our leading rusher is our QB. We are the only team to hold such a dreadful distinction. This means our rushing game is even worse than advertised. Our team only ranks 17th in offense --- i'm sure if we included every teams penalty yardage we would rank significantly worse as well as we are the most penalized team in the NFL by a large margin. Fun fact --- the 49ers have more yardage than the Seahawks this year.

Funny you should mention Ifedi, he is our most penalized player. He also holds the distinction of being the most penalized player in the NFL this year by a significant margin. He also ranks pretty low in analyst books, and by advanced stats -- as flawed as those stats may be.

The Seahawks fans have a good reason to be schizophrenic, that mentality is mirroring the garbage that this team is putting on the field on a consistent basis. Our team is unorganized, distracted, the most undisciplined team in the NFL. Our team is held together by bailing wire, duct tape, and a prayer. Even with our "stars" our team looked lackluster this season. This team is falling apart, these stats that I shared are absolutely pathetic. We have players crying that they want out publicly. Our own player walked into the opposing teams locker room and said he wants them to come after him. Since when it this kind of behavior acceptable?

We have won 9 games this year, but only on one players herculean like efforts (Wilson). If you want other people's opinion of our coaches it ain't good either. Other fans are laughing at Bevell, and think he is a joke. Other people are wondering why our line is so bad year after year. We have broadcasters openly professing that they are confused by our offensive strategy. When Aikman said this was one of the worst offensive performances he has ever seen, he is not wrong. We had negative yardage, let that sink in for a moment.

We are falling flat in every single metric this year, even when we were healthy. Some heads deserve to roll over the product that was put on the field this year. This is only competitive at the moment because of our unique Quarterback.

mrblitz

Reaction score
ducks41468":2memte3e said:
We have such a weird fan base. We hate all of our players and coaches, no matter how good or bad they are. Franchise quarterback? He sucks and plays like garbage every game. Complete bust at RT? He sucks and plays like garbage every game. I read general NFL boards and the opinions of every other fanbase regarding our players is far more level-headed than our own.

LOL... well, this is kind of an aside, but it almost looked like Pete was expecting a huge day from the defense, going in... as if they knew #28 were going to get a pick 6 at some point, or bryant would be stripped of the ball... it was uncanny, the way the defense just took this game away from dallas...

original poster

Reaction score
mrblitz":aitz41yg said:
ducks41468":aitz41yg said:

LOL... well, this is kind of an aside, but it almost looked like Pete was expecting a huge day from the defense, going in... as if they knew #28 were going to get a pick 6 at some point, or bryant would be stripped of the ball... it was uncanny, the way the defense just took this game away from dallas...

Boy did I enjoy watching it!

Tusc2000

Reaction score
All of the above posts are accurate and do a great job of explaining why we lost to a very beat-able Dallas team.

Oh wait --

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, they put up a long drive and ate up almost 6 and a half minutes to get the Baldwin TD and seal the deal.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
The pick-6 and Dez’s fumble allowed them to score with very little offensive statistics. Then tack on having a two score lead, and trying to run out the clock, with very little success having the RBs do it.

It adds up to a poor statistical win by the offense, but a win nonetheless.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
I truly think Carroll looks at it like, "Oh, we didn't do great and we have a few things to shore up, but we won by nine, and the defense came through." He truly thinks the defense can carry the team 99% of the time.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Anthony!":1raenus3 said:
Siouxhawk":1raenus3 said:

LOL whatever you say LOL

No way an objective person who knows even a sliver about football could look at our game plans in the first quarter (where normally these are all sequences predetermined and drawn up by the OC) and think they are anything less than putrid. We are the worst in the league in the 1st quarter by several metrics. On top of that, if you pay attention to situational playcalling and the drawn up route trees and presnap positioning you will again see an inept offensive strategy and game plan.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
mistaowen":12g09yti said:
Offense was terrible. Most yards came on broken plays, couldn't move the ball. Lots of 3 and outs. Defense saved the day and might have had their best game of the year.

Defense FINALLY showed up.
I was expecting that Wilson and his Anemic/craptastic worn to a nubbin Offensive Line was going to have to carry the Defense yet again.
Sure wish they'd shown up for last weeks game against the Rams, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.