Was the offense really that bad?

Anthony!

Reaction score
KimboBlubbeus":2tr0s7cy said:
They had one good drive and that was about it. One touchdown was a pick six, and the other came off a fumble deep in Dallas territory. The mainstream headlines are all going to be about how Dallas lost this game. They more than doubled Seattle in total yards but they had a few terrible turnovers, two missed field goals, and some of the worst offensive playcalling I've ever seen.

probably but they will also say how ba dour oline was, the play calling, the route trees. We have been hearing it all season, how our oline is bad, how the routes are bad, how no one is open and yet some on this board seem to not get it.

getnasty

Reaction score
Anthony!":36e0qtb0 said:
getnasty":36e0qtb0 said:
Anthony!":36e0qtb0 said:
Aros":36e0qtb0 said:
How much is it just a truly pathetic OL versus our receivers not getting separation? It seemed to me that Russell - when he did have time to throw - just couldn't find anyone open, like, EVER.

Having re watched it a lot there was very few times anyone was open. The routes they were running were ridiculous, while some times they got open late Rw as already running. Pretty much the same crap we have seen all year.

Can you give any examples of these plays so the rest of us can see what your seeing please provide down, distance and time so were on the same page. I also rewatched the game and saw Russell missing many open people and not getting the ball out on time but maybe I shouldn't expect him to be elite and just blame the problems on everyone else. Please provide examples and if you find somewhere where he audibles that would be great to note too.

You know you had a chance with me till this "I also rewatched the game and saw Russell missing many open people and not getting the ball out on time but maybe I shouldn't expect him to be elite and just blame the problems on everyone else. " and realizes your not worth my time to do your work for you, IF you saw that then you watched the wrong game. I mean how many times do you need to hear the announcers say no one is open, he had no time etc etc. Before you and the few others get it through you heads what the problem is. Let me help you with this irrelevant to any other BS you can say he made up over 89% of our offensive yards today and 100% of our offensive tds today. For the season, he is well over 85% of the yads and over 95% of the tds that has not been done int eh SB era. SO until that changes you and the other haters can go fly a coupe. As to the plays go find them your selves you supposedly watched the game a few time. NOT.

11:35 1st quarter-Russ has 3 people open on dig routes, hits his back foot and doesn't throw the leading to a sack and killing the drive. He then hesitates on the next play when if he would just thrown it to his first read it's a 5 yard pick up. Next play he airmails a crossing route to Lockett who wasn't really open but it also gives him 0 chance to make a play.

This is first drive of the game not great play calling but good enough if executed by Russell.

Come on Anthony should be easy if every play is horrible and no one is open and every play call is horrible.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Honestly, we were very conservative today, rarely any deep shots. Yes, I know we were still inefficient running and passing the ball. But it seems like Pete was more than happy with keeping the score close and making the plays that needed to be made

I know that's not sexy, or what people wanna hear. But it's a formula that works when the defense is playing great

Aw Mang

Reaction score
I think I saw Russ tried to go deep a few times and had to pull down due to no opening downfield

strohmin

Reaction score
Does anyone feel these playcalls are because Russell is only capable of this hero ball type offense and is unable to run a traditional offense? From what ibe seen, Wilson does not move well in the pocket.Regardless of the playcalling, Wilsons accuracy and decision making have not been good. I find it hard to believe that Bevell would purposely be calling hail mary type plays if wilson is perfectly cable short dink and dunk type plays.I just have a feeling Wilson cant be the consistenly great qb we are all hoping for. How is the Oline supposed to learn to consistently block when he continually runs out of the pocket or runs backwards 10 yards making it easy for speed rushers? I have never seen Russell navigate inside the pocket and delover throws even when there were opportunities too. His play is just too inconsistent for the rest of the offense to continually keep track of where he is.

renofox

Reaction score
strohmin":2wno0z9w said:
I find it hard to believe that Bevell would purposely be calling hail mary type plays if wilson is perfectly cable short dink and dunk type plays

Yeah, he didn't tear it up with that style of play in 2015. Or he forgot how. Or something.

strohmin":2wno0z9w said:
How is the Oline supposed to learn to consistently block when he continually runs out of the pocket or runs backwards 10 yards making it easy for speed rushers?

They could start by blocking for more than 1.5 seconds on 75% of plays.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3khhemi8 said:
Honestly, we were very conservative today, rarely any deep shots. Yes, I know we were still inefficient running and passing the ball. But it seems like Pete was more than happy with keeping the score close and making the plays that needed to be made

I know that's not sexy, or what people wanna hear. But it's a formula that works when the defense is playing great

we completed 66% of our passes

irocdave

Reaction score
Russel played like shit again today. Their, I said it. I dont need to watch the all 22, I could see it from the telecast. RW is playing like it's his first year in the league and hasn't put in the work. He looks like shit and is playing like shit. He holds on to the the ball to long, and is gun shy and even though he is in a shot gun formation, runs back 7 steps and gets frigging sacked by edge rushers that are being pushed further out like they should be. Is RW just flat out stupid? Step UP, that's what QB's are taught to do especially guys making more than 20 million a year. O lineman are taught to push pass rushers past the pocket as well.

You RW apologists need to get your head of your rear-ends and watch the damn game. He and Bevell are killing this team this year. RW has run in to more sacks than the O line has given up.

Throw the dam football when your supposed to throw it, WIlson. That pump bullshit then scramble is do to being short and not seeing the play and Pete pounding it in to RW's head to not turn it over. Elite QB's have the timing down and read the D at the line and know when to cut it loose. RW is clueless and needs to see it before letting it fly, unless it's a 50 bomb. That is not what a guy making 20 million plus a year does, its what a rookie running QB does. Earn your dam money Wilson.

This is not sustainable. RW is as much of the problem as the OC.

Yes, I am happy the HAwks won this game, but it had little to do with Wilson, it was all on the D again. Wilson looked like shit again today. He didnt look like a guy that should be payed what he is being paid.

Anthony!

Reaction score
strohmin":3krdflae said:
Does anyone feel these playcalls are because Russell is only capable of this hero ball type offense and is unable to run a traditional offense? From what ibe seen, Wilson does not move well in the pocket.Regardless of the playcalling, Wilsons accuracy and decision making have not been good. I find it hard to believe that Bevell would purposely be calling hail mary type plays if wilson is perfectly cable short dink and dunk type plays.I just have a feeling Wilson cant be the consistenly great qb we are all hoping for. How is the Oline supposed to learn to consistently block when he continually runs out of the pocket or runs backwards 10 yards making it easy for speed rushers? I have never seen Russell navigate inside the pocket and delover throws even when there were opportunities too. His play is just too inconsistent for the rest of the offense to continually keep track of where he is.

to make is cleear that is in correct I submit 2nd half of 2015 were RW was hostoric and doing it as a traditional pcoket passer. so no it is not because Rw cant function in a traditional offense.

ducks41468

Reaction score
We have such a weird fan base. We hate all of our players and coaches, no matter how good or bad they are. Franchise quarterback? He sucks and plays like garbage every game. Complete bust at RT? He sucks and plays like garbage every game. I read general NFL boards and the opinions of every other fanbase regarding our players is far more level-headed than our own.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Anthony!":3lhzi3qz said:
strohmin":3lhzi3qz said:

to make is cleear that is in correct I submit 2nd half of 2015 were RW was hostoric and doing it as a traditional pcoket passer. so no it is not because Rw cant function in a traditional offense.
I think me need to stop pointing to 2015. It was two years ago. In 2016 Prescott was good. He isn't now. The second half of 2015 Wilson was doing things, for whatever reasons, he hasn't done since. I could list dozens if not hundreds of players that do things one year and can't the next.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

renofox

Reaction score
Subzero717":1gs0zgtu said:
I think me need to stop pointing to 2015. It was two years ago. In 2016 Prescott was good. He isn't now. The second half of 2015 Wilson was doing things, for whatever reasons, he hasn't done since. I could list dozens if not hundreds of players that do things one year and can't the next.

Could "for whatever reasons" have anything to do with Cabevell, the historically atrocious O-line, and completely crappy and devolved schemes and play designs? That would be my guess before assuming RW forgot how to play.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Subzero717":2y72yeel said:
Anthony!":2y72yeel said:
strohmin":2y72yeel said:

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

you cant say he cant do somethign when he has no natter when it was. The questin is have they tried to run that same offense for any length of time? The answer is no.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Wilson didn't even have a bad game outside of like 2 early drives. He started 2-7 with 4 of the 5 incompletions coming on deep throws. Then once we passed the scripted play threshold around midway through the 2nd quarter Wilson finished 12-14 with no sacks and some key runs thrown in as well. Our running game was completely useless as usual (Davis 15 carries for 25 yards) and we were playing from ahead for most of the game, and as we know we don't take chances in the passing game when we're ahead.

Anthony!

Reaction score
ducks41468":3peclks7 said:
Wilson didn't even have a bad game outside of like 2 early drives. He started 2-7 with 4 of the 5 incompletions coming on deep throws. Then once we passed the scripted play threshold around midway through the 2nd quarter Wilson finished 12-14 with no sacks and some key runs thrown in as well. Our running game was completely useless as usual (Davis 15 carries for 25 yards) and we were playing from ahead for most of the game, and as we know we don't take chances in the passing game when we're ahead.

dude 66% complt, 2 tds no ints 107 QB rating, making up 89% of our offensive yards and all our offensive tds, be are leading rusher that sucks, any qb could do that and more, I mean our oline is great we have the best RBs and our oc and oline coach are fantastic. Its Russell who is the problem.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
There are some pretty ridiculous RW-related commentary in this thread that I refuse to engage but I will say this:

Russell is visibly slower than he ever has been pre-injuries (2016). He is taking a lot of sacks he wouldn't have before (see: getting beat by bigger lineman he never would have been beaten by years past). I thought after he lost the weight and recovered from his injuries this past offseason he would be back to his old self but it's definitely noticeable every single time he runs or attempts to escape a sack. His top speed and burst is gone. And it's not like he's in his mid 30's. He is in the PRIME of his career. I have to wonder if he's never been able to be the same after the punishment and injuries he took last year.

No, speed isn't the reason for some stupid sacks he takes but it most definitely is part of the issue that nobody seems to be talking much about.

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
ducks41468":1mjtql2p said:
We have such a weird fan base. We hate all of our players and coaches, no matter how good or bad they are. Franchise quarterback? He sucks and plays like garbage every game. Complete bust at RT? He sucks and plays like garbage every game. I read general NFL boards and the opinions of every other fanbase regarding our players is far more level-headed than our own.

I'm going start responding to all posts like these sarcastically.

Are you new to team message boards? Everyone is more level-headed when they don't give two shits about the team they are assessing.

Russell was literally a few bad games from being named the mvp, on the other hand he can be better yes.

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Aros":3dvie52p said:
There are some pretty ridiculous RW-related commentary in this thread that I refuse to engage but I will say this:

Russell is visibly slower than he ever has been pre-injuries (2016). He is taking a lot of sacks he wouldn't have before (see: getting beat by bigger lineman he never would have been beaten by years past). I thought after he lost the weight and recovered from his injuries this past offseason he would be back to his old self but it's definitely noticeable every single time he runs or attempts to escape a sack. His top speed and burst is gone. And it's not like he's in his mid 30's. He is in the PRIME of his career. I have to wonder if he's never been able to be the same after the punishment and injuries he took last year.

No, speed isn't the reason for some stupid sacks he takes but it most definitely is part of the issue that nobody seems to be talking much about.

To be fair Aros, D. Lawrence is a beast, doesn't he lead the league in sacks?

Seafan

Reaction score
RW just looks like he can't handle the pressure of being 86% of the offense. He does not look like his usual cool self. The last two weeks the Hawks have won/lost via field position. The defense won this game today. The offense lost the game last week and it all was due to turnovers and field position. Put RW inside the 20 with Graham and Baldwin and he's able to get some points. Make him drag this offense down the field 80 yards for an absolutely must need TD the whole thing seems to collapse. I blame this on the coaches.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seafan":z1z9ij5m said:
RW just looks like he can't handle the pressure of being 86% of the offense. He does not look like his usual cool self. The last two weeks the Hawks have won/lost via field position. The defense won this game today. The offense lost the game last week and it all was due to turnovers and field position. Put RW inside the 20 with Graham and Baldwin and he's able to get some points. Make him drag this offense down the field 80 yards for an absolutely must need TD the whole thing seems to collapse. I blame this on the coaches.

its hard to go 80 yards with no run game and the aweful oline and play calling we have. Even Elite QBs need help and lets talk like 86% is easy no QB has done it in the SB era.