Washington Huskies vs. Texas Longhorns

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Michigan is not explosive on offfense. And our QB is in a different tier than theirs. They're nothing overly special. Their SOS was far below ours. I don't think they faced an offense like ours all year long.
Well it's the defense that worries me against WA.. Doesn't seem to take much to run or pass on WA... we just need to be able to score more than them.

jeremiah

Reaction score
I'm still stunned by that injury-time-out rule. I don't know why I didn't know more of the details of that rule, perhaps because it was never brought so clearly into focus like it was last night.

What an effing HORRIBLE rule. I can't believe it's not being talked about more than it is seeing how it could have easily cost a team a trip to the championship game. Think about it...

--It potentially creates an incentive for the other team's defense to injure a player to stop the clock.
--It makes it so teams will want to drag a player off the field in order not to engage the injury timeout
--It penalizes the offensive team in such a game situation for a player getting injured by the opposing team

There's just so much wrong with this rule I can't believe it was ever instituted, as if they never even imagined scenarios like the one that happened last night.

I was thinking that what if you took the Huskies out last night and replaced us with Alabama and the same thing happened AND Texas went on to score the winning TD. I can't believe this wouldn't be talked about ten times more than it currently is now.
I literally thought they get the player off the field, set the ball down and run the clock at that moment. It seems like that is what has happened year upon year. What is to stop a Defensive player from feigning an injury and getting the same advantage of time stoppage? Clock begins running at SNAP? Totally BS.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
It is a dumb rule but I'm still confused as to why Washington didn't just kneel down there and avoid the injury or turnover risk. Now you may lose Johnson for the national championship and he was already limping around yesterday, just makes no sense to me.
I thought about taking a knee there right before it happened. But there was part of me that knew they ran him against Oregon in close to the same situation a few weeks before and he put the game away with a first down.

But the thing is, even in spite of that judgment call by the coaches, without that injury-time out rule, Terxas is likely getting the ball with something like 15 seconds to go and a minimum of 80 yards to go for a TD.

It's insane that the rule led to a situation whereby Texas ended up having multiple tries to get that TD inside the red zone, something that would have never been possible without that crazy rule.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I literally thought they get the player off the field, set the ball down and run the clock at that moment. It seems like that is what has happened year upon year. What is to stop a Defensive player from feigning an injury and getting the same advantage of time stoppage? Clock begins running at SNAP? Totally BS.
yes, Oregon did this in both the games we played this year.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
yes, Oregon did this in both the games we played this year.
I think the rule *might* be a little different for the D. Need to look at it closer. I just haven't seen it on the offensive side of the ball that forces the offense into a situation where they can't run down the clock because the other team injures one of their players in such a way where they can't get off the field.

Why in Lord's green earth isn't the rule that the clock restarts from where it stopped once the player is taken off the field and the offense is allowed to let it tick down to where it could have been ticked down to had the other defense not caused an injury to your player? It makes no sense whatsoever. Your penalizing the offense for the other team injuring your player in that situation.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
PENIX is what an NFL ready QB looks like. He is unflappable. I am all for the team, even at 0-12, but this is special. I felt like Oregon was a better team, they beat them twice. I even had the thought that BoNix is a better QB. WTH was I thinking? This team, right here RIGHT NOW is as good as the Huskies have ever had. DeBoer is a better coach than the Dog Father.... SHOCK... With the exposure they get now, and the transfer possibilities, the sky is the limit.
Penix likely increased his NFL stock greatly last night. He was on fire.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
If the so-called GOAT Tom Brady could make a career out of being pretty much nothing but a potted plant pocket passer, why can't Penix?

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
If the so-called GOAT Tom Brady could make a career out of being pretty much nothing but a potted plant pocket passer, why can't Penix?
Penix can run, just doesn't do it that often. He had some good designed runs last night that showed in the right system he's not entirely one dimensional.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
Penix can run, just doesn't do it that often. He had some good designed runs last night that showed in the right system he's not entirely one dimensional.
I'm just saying that the rap on Penix is his injury history and the fear he will become injured again. But if you could vastly limit his exposure to injury, you could potentially get a lot of mileage out of him. He's got the poise, arm talent, and, as others have mentioned, great pocket awareness.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
I immediately rolled my eyes this morning when I turned on ESPN after waking and the first thing I heard was some expert being asked if he thought Washington could "upset" Michigan, as if the Wolverines were the 1993 Cornhuskers, or some other behemoth of a team that towered over all others.

By the way, he said he didn't think so. LOL. He basically said the same thing about the Oregon and Texas games.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I'm just saying that the rap on Penix is his injury history and the fear he will become injured again. But if you could vastly limit his exposure to injury, you could potentially get a lot of mileage out of him. He's got the poise, arm talent, and, as others have mentioned, great pocket awareness.
Yeah, he definitely has the awareness that most teams would covet. Low key hoping Seattle can get him. After last night that seems less likely.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Go watch some video of Marino. He was slow, he stayed in the pocket, but he was almost impossible to sack.

That's what Penix has. He gets the ball out quickly. Hell, he hardly has to throw the ball away even when under pressure, because he can put the ball in tight windows. You cannot sack him, its hard to even pressure him.

This means less lost yardage and downs. It means less holding calls. It is a huge advantage that most of even the top 5 QBs don't bring. He isn't a runner, like a JD (then again JD isn't great at making throws he has to make).

His knees are an issue for mobility. But he gets the ball out so quickly not as much an issue as most believe. Penix will be a good starting QB in the NFL regardless of draft position.

bileever

Reaction score
The Huskies have redeemed this otherwise bleak football season in Seattle. What an incredible run so far, exceeding everyone's expectations. It's been an absolute pleasure watching Michael Penix, Dillon Johnson, Rome Odunze, Jalen McMillan, Ja'Lynn Polk, Jack Westover, Bralen Trice, Jabbar Muhammed, and Carson Bruener, to name a few. Unlike the team on the other side of town, UW has been so exciting and so clutch, week in and week out. Regardless of what happens next week, it's been a great season.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
The Huskies have redeemed this otherwise bleak football season in Seattle. What an incredible run so far, exceeding everyone's expectations. It's been an absolute pleasure watching Michael Penix, Dillon Johnson, Rome Odunze, Jalen McMillan, Ja'Lynn Polk, Jack Westover, Bralen Trice, Jabbar Muhammed, and Carson Bruener, to name a few. Unlike the team on the other side of town, UW has been so exciting and so clutch, week in and week out. Regardless of what happens next week, it's been a great season.
They aren't exceeding any expectations in the locker room. They are a very good football team, and they know it. The only thing they are exceeding, is the expectations of the bias media and ignorant fans that buy into that garbage.

Washington was the best team in the country this year and never got the respect they deserved. They had to go win it the old fashioned way. By beating every team put in front of them.

Michigan is next in line for a beating.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And I'll say it again, that ending and score didn't tell the story. UW controlled that entire game. Lucky muffed punt, extremely lucky injury that handed them 40 seconds, along with some bad time management stuff.......the only reason Texas was in it at the end.

I wish we would run the damn ball more when we have a lead. Eat up clock, make them use timeouts etc. But.........they do what they do, they coach how they coach, and it works. During the game, it drives my nuts. The next day, I look at it a little different. A win is what mattered.
Sure it shouldn't have ended like that, but oh well. This team has a VERY good shot at beating Michigan. They will have to play their best game of the year, imo. And that's how it should be in a title game.

Penix was UNREAL in this game. Esp. coming out of the 2nd half. Nails.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A good game that turned into shite.

Awful play calling in the beginning of the 4th quarter. Could have winded more time off of the clock and tried to grind a first down or more.

Not going for 3 on 4th in the first half.....a bit risky IMO when 3 points would have been guaranteed.

And all of the donkey-d*cking clock stops for so many reasons at the final stages.

Jaysus H Christ.

If they had lost I'd would've wanted to throw stuff out of my window....

This was sh*t.
I wanted them to take 3 as well. But, Texas didn't score after the stop. UW went right back down and got a TD. Meh.

To me, it was the 3 pass plays after we got a recovery. Gotta run the ball. The 3rd down before our last FG, gotta' run the ball. Clock eaten up, timeouts gone etc. It should NOT have come down to that. But again, 21 in a row, playing in a national championship. It's not about how WE want them to do it, they get it done. It almost bit them this time..........but it DIDN'T.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I like how before the game, everyone was saying that Texas pass defense was better than the stats showed, which I agreed with, but now everyone is saying Washington was only successful against Texas because of their terrible pass defense.

Whatever doesn't favor Washington, that's what everyone goes to for an argument.

I hope Washington runs the score up on Michigan, and shuts everyone's ******* mouth. So many idiots in comments sections and on message boards doing the most lazy ******* analysis I've ever seen. "Blah blah the 56th ranked blah blah defense".

Like really? Looking at cumulative season stats and then getting on the internet and posting an "analysis"? ******* lazy. Most CFB fans don't know shit about the game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, and it NEVER has changed. It's always that the OTHER team played bad and/or choked.
Those who actually know football will acknowledge the truth: The Huskies are the better team, and are as good as ANY team in the nation.
Period.
Michigan defense is damn good. I don't see anyone, even UW, running the score up on that team. Would love it, just don't see it.
Michigan is also very old school and want to slow down the game, they run the crap out of the ball.
Their corners are MILES ahead of what they have in Texas.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't see it, either. I think Michigan has a good defense. However, I think it's worth pointing out that the best offense Michigan played is "ranked" 40th.

Of course, that's based on the cumulative season stats that I just shit all over, so whatever. Still, this is going to be the best offense they have EVER seen. I see a lot of people saying Michigan has experience against Stroud and JSN and all that...but that was last year and the year before. Just like UW vs Texas, bringing up games from prior seasons is just plain insanity.

Also, a lot of Michigan fans are bringing up the 2021 season because they beat Washington and then also beat Penix at Indiana. Like, wtf is that shit? That was 2 years ago. Washington had Lake as the head coach. Penix was at Indiana, which was an entirely different team than this Washington team. Michigan's team is different, too. It's just absolutely baffling. Even in the NFL, teams are always significantly different every year.

Because it's the championship, I think that's why a bunch of no-nothing "fans" are appearing out of the forest to chime in with their opinions.