Washington v. Alabama

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3ppvj2cv said:
I only need to look at a Chris Peterson coached Boise State win in the Orange Bowl over a heavy favorite Oklahoma to know that they have a chance.

Of course, especially in college with 18 year olds, you never know how they're going to respond to big games...............and yes, give Chris Peterson 4 weeks to prepare? I'll take that, dude's one of the best game planners ever.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3069t8gm said:
oldhawkfan":3069t8gm said:
I only need to look at a Chris Peterson coached Boise State win in the Orange Bowl over a heavy favorite Oklahoma to know that they have a chance.

Of course, especially in college with 18 year olds, you never know how they're going to respond to big games...............and yes, give Chris Peterson 4 weeks to prepare? I'll take that, dude's one of the best game planners ever.

Nick Saban's not bad either. And its a playoff, not an exhibition (bowl game). Alabama will be plenty motivated. Have you ever seen Alabama NOT motivated?

davidonmi

Reaction score
I like the rose bowl too but..
let's just say alabama is 2 TD's better than UW, which I doubt.
What if Hurts goes down in the 1st quarter and bama is forced to play a backup who throws 3 picks?
what if UW tricks them with a WR pass and gets some sort of ST's TD to steal 14 point?

you always take the chance at winning a title imo... FPI actually gives UW a 30% shot to win this. and if they were to pull an upset, they would have an excellent chance to beat tOSU or clemson

WmHBonney

Reaction score
'Bama by 4 TDs. Saban puts the reserves in for most of the 4th quarter.....

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Alabama beat LSU 10-0 and LSU played without a passing game.

Washington can keep it close if they play tough on defense -- and they have an offense to trouble Alabama.

I think 'Bama wins but I wouldn't expect a pasting.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
FWIW, this year just feels right for Washington. Like the 2013 Seahawks...spent years not feeling good about the team, but then in 2013, everything felt right. It's the same thing with Washington, except I'm even more confident because I've always been a slightly bigger Husky fan than Seahawk fan, so I'm more in tune with what is and is not a good team.

The one thing that nobody talks about with Petersen's team is how they improve not just from year to year, but from game to game. Look at last year for a great example....they started crushing teams late in the year. I've seen it again this year...there was some drop off when some backups had to jump in for injured starters, but over the past few weeks they've improved immensely. Rapp, Potoae, etc..the rest of the team is getting better, too. The team that played against Colorado on Friday is better than the one that played against USC. People don't understand how good Colorado is....they only lost to Michigan and USC, 2 top 10 teams. They have a top 5 defense against the pass, lots of experience at all positions, and no real weak areas on their team. What was the score? 41-10. You bet your ass that Washington keeps improving, and they'll be even better when they play Alabama.

On offense, Petersen will have a month to figure out how to score points against Alabama... With players like John Ross, Dante Pettis, 2 good RBs that are difficult to tackle, a solid OL, and a QB that can move around in the pocket well and doesn't turn the ball over. I like it. You guys can knock on Browning all you want for struggling against top defenses, and that's fair, but he takes care of the football. He takes what the defense gives him. The pass rush will make things difficult, but don't expect Jake to turn the ball over and give the game away. There has also been some speculation that Jake might have hurt his shoulder against Oregon State, and that it had gotten better until he took another shot against WSU. He was uncharacteristically inaccurate against Colorado. If so, look for an improved Browning against Alabama.

This will be the best defense Alabama has played all year, with future NFL players at each position. Gaines is very disruptive when he is not double-teamed, and has even shown the ability to beat double-teams, so it will be interesting to see if Alabama's O-line is good enough to handle him. The linebackers and secondary speak for themselves. They fly to the football and tackle well in space. They force fumbles and are ball hawks on passing plays. Oh yeah, and they hit really hard too. I've seen a few "I don't know if I want to play football anymore" looks on opposing players faces after taking a crushing hit from UW's LBs/DBs. Essentially, UW can take away the one thing that an opposing offense does well. For Alabama, that's probably running the football, so expect Alabama to need to throw the ball a bit to get first downs. Laugh all you want, but if you really study the numbers, UW definitely had the best rushing defense in the conference this year.That could be a problem for their freshman QB throwing to a secondary full of 1-3 round draft picks in the biggest game of his life.

I don't know what the hell is going on with Joe Mathis, but he keeps dropping hints on Twitter like he's going to be ready to play. He just tweeted that he will be fully healed in 2 weeks. I doubt he will play, but it's something to keep an eye on. They did say that there was a small chance he could play in a bowl game when they announced he was having surgery. However, a couple days ago Petersen said something to the effect of him not likely playing again at all, and sort of said that Victor had a better chance, although he was very vague with his wording. Again, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
fenderbender123":35218xy3 said:
This will be the best defense Alabama has played all year, with future NFL players at each position. Gaines is very disruptive when he is not double-teamed, and has even shown the ability to beat double-teams, so it will be interesting to see if Alabama's O-line is good enough to handle him. The linebackers and secondary speak for themselves. They fly to the football and tackle well in space. They force fumbles and are ball hawks on passing plays. Oh yeah, and they hit really hard too. I've seen a few "I don't know if I want to play football anymore" looks on opposing players faces after taking a crushing hit from UW's LBs/DBs. Essentially, UW can take away the one thing that an opposing offense does well. For Alabama, that's probably running the football, so expect Alabama to need to throw the ball a bit to get first downs. Laugh all you want, but if you really study the numbers, UW definitely had the best rushing defense in the conference this year.That could be a problem for their freshman QB throwing to a secondary full of 1-3 round draft picks in the biggest game of his life.

Alabama has played 3 defenses better then UW's in yards per game, and 2 defenses better then UW's in points per game. I love your enthusiasm as a fan, and if it was my team i'd be the same, but youre either delusional or in denial.

I'll be surprised if UW scores 17 points. And i expect Brownings weak arm to throw a minimum of two interceptions he doesnt have the arm strength to throw it into the tight windows that alabama requires. And UW is not running on Alabama. They're just not. Its not even worth a discussion.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I know. But I still stand by my opinion that this will be the best defense Alabama has played all year. I have a hard time putting my faith into cumulative statistics in bowl games because they don't play the same teams. Plus, that Arizona game really skewed the stats for Washington, and they won't be making the same mistakes that allowed for all those wild ass plays from Dawkins.

Alabama is like Stanford on steroids. If anyone watched Washington's game against Stanford, you know how well they matched up against them.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
fenderbender123":33u2acu1 said:
I know. But I still stand by my opinion that this will be the best defense Alabama has played all year. I have a hard time putting my faith into cumulative statistics in bowl games because they don't play the same teams. Plus, that Arizona game really skewed the stats for Washington, and they won't be making the same mistakes that allowed for all those wild ass plays from Dawkins.

Alabama is like Stanford on steroids. If anyone watched Washington's game against Stanford, you know how well they matched up against them.

Horrible comparison. Stanford is completely unathletic, both offensively and defensively. Especialy in that UW game when they were ravaged by injuries going into it. They're sssssllllloooowwwww (other then McCaffrey). Alabama is by far the most athletic team you'll face. They're USC on steroids if anything. And we know how that turned out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":btpxrvf6 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/805976933947174912[/tweet]

Softy's the same guy who had to ride his ten speed over the pass to WAZZU years ago cause he lost an Apple Cup bet.

I'd take his abject homerism with a grain of salt.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Washington more or less abandoned the run against USC, and I hope the coaches learned their lesson. They were able to gain yards pounding the football against USC, but the yardage and stats are skewed because of sacks and tackles for loss. There times in that game where Washignton's O line really really good in the run game against USC, but they'd go away from it. So I really don't like the idea of using that 1 game as a measuring stick for how well they will run against Alabama.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2ubet5sm said:
fenderbender123":2ubet5sm said:

Horrible comparison. Stanford is completely unathletic, both offensively and defensively. Especialy in that UW game when they were ravaged by injuries going into it. They're sssssllllloooowwwww (other then McCaffrey). Alabama is by far the most athletic team you'll face. They're USC on steroids if anything. And we know how that turned out.

Stanford has an above average defense, and an offense that relies on running the football. Yes, Alabama is better, which is why I said "on steroids". I'd say USC is an okay comparison, except they have a damn good QB who made the throws that were key in scoring points against Washington. Alabama does not have a future NFL QB playing for them like USC does. That's not to say he isn't good at what he does, but their offense will be more 1 dimensional.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1zcygh70 said:
Washington more or less abandoned the run against USC, and I hope the coaches learned their lesson. They were able to gain yards pounding the football against USC, but the yardage and stats are skewed because of sacks and tackles for loss. There times in that game where Washignton's O line really really good in the run game against USC, but they'd go away from it. So I really don't like the idea of using that 1 game as a measuring stick for how well they will run against Alabama.

But the USC game is going to be the same challenge that Alabama poses.............playing a team where you DON'T have the best athletes and size.

In the games that the Husky's have won this year, it's been done by having the greater number of dynamic skill players AND being the more physical team in the trenches.

So the question is can the Husky's match Alabama's physicality and figure out a way to move the ball on offense against 6-7 first round draft picks along that insane front seven? I ain't even worried about their offense, our D should play well against a freshman QB. I'm worried about our offense with Jake and the run game being suffocated like that USC game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1kxnxjb4 said:
Alabama has played 3 defenses better then UW's in yards per game, and 2 defenses better then UW's in points per game. I love your enthusiasm as a fan, and if it was my team i'd be the same, but youre either delusional or in denial.

I'll be surprised if UW scores 17 points. And i expect Brownings weak arm to throw a minimum of two interceptions he doesnt have the arm strength to throw it into the tight windows that alabama requires. And UW is not running on Alabama. They're just not. Its not even worth a discussion.

Are you going to argue with every Huskies fan and tell them why they are wrong?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Uncle Si":14pwn9dl said:
JSeahawks":14pwn9dl said:
fenderbender123":14pwn9dl said:

Are you going to argue with every Huskies fan and tell them why they are wrong?

Oregon is irrelevant. It's all hr has. Don't take that from him.

Though in this case, he is right.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
HawkGA":1jkk31iu said:
Oregon is irrelevant. It's all hr has. Don't take that from him.

Though in this case, he is right.

I'm on the fence with this one. I want to believe fender.. but sadly I think Alabama is just too much for anyone else in the field.

I think this will be one of those games where we see the physical differences between SEC football and the rest of the nation come to bear.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2d3zg8d5 said:
fenderbender123":2d3zg8d5 said:

Yep, but the USC game is going to be the same challenge that Alabama poses.............playing a team where you DON'T have the best athletes and size.

In the games that the Husky's have won this year, it's been done by having the greater number of dynamic skill players AND being the more physical team in the trenches.

So the question is can the Husky's match Alabama's physicality and figure out a way to move the ball on offense against 6-6 first round draft picks along that insane front seven? I ain't even worried about their offense, our D should play well against a freshman QB. I'm worried about our offense with Jake and the run game being suffocated like that USC game.

Don't abandon the run, and don't call any long-developing reverses or backward passes. Those are what killed Washington vs USC. Just line up and pound the football, and don't abandon it just because there are a couple plays that went for no gain. There's a reason to be optimistic. Washington's O-line is good...I've been saying it all year.

And I hope nobody is misunderstanding me. If I had to bet straight up in this game, I'd bet on Alabama. But I do think Washington has a reasonable chance of winning this game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
fenderbender123":7m6dfj0o said:
Sgt. Largent":7m6dfj0o said:
fenderbender123":7m6dfj0o said:

Yep, but the USC game is going to be the same challenge that Alabama poses.............playing a team where you DON'T have the best athletes and size.

So the question is can the Husky's match Alabama's physicality and figure out a way to move the ball on offense against 6-6 first round draft picks along that insane front seven? I ain't even worried about their offense, our D should play well against a freshman QB. I'm worried about our offense with Jake and the run game being suffocated like that USC game.

Don't abandon the run, and don't call any long-developing reverses or backward passes. Those are what killed Washington vs USC. Just line up and pound the football, and don't abandon it just because there are a couple plays that went for no gain. There's a reason to be optimistic. Washington's O-line is good...I've been saying it all year.

And I hope nobody is misunderstanding me. If I had to bet straight up in this game, I'd bet on Alabama. But I do think Washington has a reasonable chance of winning this game.

I'd agree with you if the Husky's had a more dynamic Russell Wilson type QB that could escape pressure and create. If teams have success against Alabama, it's with those type of QB's.

IMO Browning is the exact opposite of that, he NEEDS that 3-4 seconds of a clean pocket to go through his progressions and make an accurate throw. We've seen him struggle mightedly in games like the USC and Colorado games when he was under pressure and didn't have clean pockets.

So yes, if the Dawgs don't get the run game going? It's gonna be a beatdown of biblical proportions. If they somehow can? This game will be close into the 4th.