Washington v. Alabama

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I will just add the teams Alabama played that have a defense thats supposed to be better than UW's do not have an offense that is even close to UW's..That is the big difference between winning /losing of course when it comes to playing Alabama.You can't beat them if your not scoring enough and I think UW can.JS thinks they are unbeatable so I will close with this:Remember the 1980 U.S hockey team ..It can happen

JSeahawks

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2nz6a2ij said:
I will just add the teams Alabama played that have a defense thats supposed to be better than UW's do not have an offense that is even close to UW's..That is the big difference between winning /losing of course when it comes to playing Alabama.You can't beat them if your not scoring enough and I think UW can.JS thinks they are unbeatable so I will close with this:Remember the 1980 U.S hockey team ..It can happen

I was 6. So no i don't lol

dadof3

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3w4nfo1u said:
Here's how UW can win this game I believe. ALL of these things must happen for a Dawg W:

1) ZERO turnovers. Bama has scored shitloads of defensive points off turnovers this year and Huskies simply can't afford any. Period. None. ZERO
2) Eight in the box to slow Bama run game and force them to throw more than they usually do which takes them out of their comfort zone. That will of course mean the Husky DBs must cover well. They are capable of doing so.
3) Hit a couple of big plays whether it's trick shit or someone not named Ross stepping up. Expect Sabin to do what it takes to mostly take Ross out of the game.
4) Find a way to get a decent running game going. This may be the most difficult task of all but o-line is going to have to be good enough to open some holes. Don't have to run for 200, but 110 or so has to happen. This should slow the pass rush and keep Browning from being under too much heat. He doesn't usually handle pressure well.
5) Browning has to be spot on all day, no underthrows, NO picks. Peterson needs to give him all routes that his weaker arm can handle and as mentioned the o-line needs to protect well.
6) UW gets a TD via the defense or ST.
Good points. I also think they need to put together a quick passing game with this extra time, the slow developing plays will get killed by that front seven

HawkGA

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1ndsglit said:

Yes, but that was just beating a roided up, professional Soviet team. This is Alabama. Much harder challenge.

HawkGA

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1p70td1y said:
I will just add the teams Alabama played that have a defense thats supposed to be better than UW's do not have an offense that is even close to UW's..That is the big difference between winning /losing of course when it comes to playing Alabama.You can't beat them if your not scoring enough and I think UW can.

I will disagree on this point. If UW is going to beat Alabama it will be because it is a low scoring affair. UW's best chance is that their defense stifles Alabama's offense and they are able to squeak by. If UW is going to plan on scoring lots of points, well, I doubt that will happen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":112kzygo said:

This is what gives me hope.

I honestly think the Dawg's D if they play sound gap control, tackle well and can get pressure with their front 4 can hold Alabama to 10-17 pts.

That gives an explosive offense with some NFL caliber playmakers and special teams a chance to make this a game.

Largent80

Reaction score
To me, it's in the hands of the Husky O-Line. That Alabama front is incredible and if they can find a way to make some plays on the line they will give em a game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1wu3y90m said:
IndyHawk":1wu3y90m said:

I honestly think the Dawg's D if they play sound gap control, tackle well and can get pressure with their front 4 can hold Alabama to 10-17 pts.

That gives an explosive offense with some NFL caliber playmakers and special teams a chance to make this a game.

Whatever that offense does it has to be quick. Those little wide receive screen passes and slow "will he/won't he?" hand offs will get crushed by 'Bama. I'd like to see them stretch the field early, even if it ends in a deep interception.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":12gbnph5 said:
Sgt. Largent":12gbnph5 said:
IndyHawk":12gbnph5 said:

Whatever that offense does it has to be quick. Those little wide receive screen passes and slow "will he/won't he?" hand offs will get crushed by 'Bama. I'd like to see them stretch the field early, even if it ends in a deep interception.

Yep, I compare it to when the Hawks play a team like the Rams or Cards that press cover and put 8-9 in the box and try to suffocate us.

Same thing Bama's going to do the Dawgs, make it hard for Pettis and Ross to get off the line clean. But IMO Jonathon Smith is one of the most underrated coordinators in the country................he's fantastic at using motion and deception to get his skill players separation.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39xes4rc said:
Uncle Si":39xes4rc said:
Sgt. Largent":39xes4rc said:
IndyHawk":39xes4rc said:

Yep, I compare it to when the Hawks play a team like the Rams or Cards that press cover and put 8-9 in the box and try to suffocate us.

Same thing Bama's going to do the Dawgs, make it hard for Pettis and Ross to get off the line clean. But IMO Jonathon Smith is one of the most underrated coordinators in the country................he's fantastic at using motion and deception to get his skill players separation.

Except they dont need to put 8 or 9 in the box. They'll smother the run with their regular front 7.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":355t50ff said:
Except they dont need to put 8 or 9 in the box. They'll smother the run with their regular front 7.

Maybe, I think the Dawg's O-line will surprise us.

Alabama has ridiculous talent all over the defensive side of the ball, but ask any SEC expert and they'll tell you this was the most down year for the SEC in a decade. So I don't think there's another team Alabama's played this year with the explosive talent the Husky's have on offense.

Browning's the key. If he's the confident Browning getting the ball out on time accurately like we saw for most of the season, they have a chance. If he's the indecisive inaccurate hold the ball too long Browning like the USC and Colorado games.........it's gonna be ugly.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1u95wx9m said:
Sgt. Largent":1u95wx9m said:
JSeahawks":1u95wx9m said:

Alabama has ridiculous talent all over the defensive side of the ball, but ask any SEC expert and they'll tell you this was the most down year for the SEC in a decade. So I don't think there's another team Alabama's played this year with the explosive talent the Husky's have on offense.

Browning's the key. If he's the confident Browning getting the ball out on time accurately like we saw for most of the season, they have a chance. If he's the indecisive inaccurate hold the ball too long Browning like the USC and Colorado games.........it's gonna be ugly.

The shoulder having a month to heal will also be good. I've heard he suffered a grade 2 AC joint separation in the Oregon State game.

would explain all the under throwing

davidonmi

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1xodzlb1 said:
JSeahawks":1xodzlb1 said:

agree. I think completely writing off the run game is a mistake. is it gonna be the focal point? no. But I think UW could churn out 80 yards on 25 carries.
Most of which need to be coleman carrying the pile

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
davidonmi":d2yrnsrj said:
Sgt. Largent":d2yrnsrj said:
JSeahawks":d2yrnsrj said:

agree. I think completely writing off the run game is a mistake. is it gonna be the focal point? no. But I think UW could churn out 80 yards on 25 carries.

Husky's HAVE to run the ball, Alabama destroys one dimensional teams..........how they do it is up to Peterson and Smith.

Personally I'd take a couple shots downfield early to try and loosen up the pressure, then run. If they just come out and try and run base run formations, I don't think that has any chance of being successful against the Alabama front seven.

Gotta figure out a way to stretch the D first.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
davidonmi":3tz793jn said:
Sgt. Largent":3tz793jn said:
JSeahawks":3tz793jn said:

I think the running game is the key but it has to be like the Colorado game..Misdirection runs with both rb's and maybe an end around or two..The passing game is a mix of quick slants and long play action.I think Alabama's weakness will be downfield with us.As people have said JB has to be on and I think he will be with all this time to practice before we play.I hope we get someone back on D for this game.I want a spy on that QB the whole game.I cannot wait for this game!

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Here's what needs to happen:

Washington needs to play Alabama defensively as well as LSU did, who held them to 10 points. Washington has a better defense than LSU, so it's very possible they will.

Offensively, they just need to do better than Ole Miss, Arkansas, or Florida did. Washington's offense is way better than those teams, who scored 43, 30, and 16 on Alabama respectively, so again that's very possible.

This is going to be a good game.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":i3fuvtu4 said:
Uncle Si":i3fuvtu4 said:
The_Z_Man":i3fuvtu4 said:
Sgt. Largent":i3fuvtu4 said:

The shoulder having a month to heal will also be good. I've heard he suffered a grade 2 AC joint separation in the Oregon State game.

would explain all the under throwing

Yea, his worst throws came against Utah and Cal... I was a bit stunned how bad his arm was, to the point where I did not understand why he had been recruited for college ball. Then the USC game wasn't much better.

But there was a guy who posted n the Colorado boards that he had lost 10 to 15 yards and the length of his passes, and his velocity went from a solid 70+ feet per second to somewhere near 55 fps and that the USC backs were smart enough to cheat up, but the Cougars didn't take the same advantage... maybe because they didn't have the speed. Now, people can say anything but this buff's fan seemed to know his X's and O's, he even had pictures of USC DB's vs WSU DB's and you could tell how much closer USC's guys were. He was throwing down man/zone coverage concepts in a way that explain safety/corner responsibilities, and some serious football knowledge -- really appreciate posters like that. He predicted quite accurately how bad of a night Browning was going to have, an he was confident the Buffs would win. He just didn't take into account UW's running game or the fact that their QB was going to get dinged up. Anyway, I tried to follow the Buffalo game threads on Championship night to see if the Colorado DB's did cheat up like USC did, but those forums are a mess. If there was a good post, pretty sure it got buried in the five thousand OMG WHY ISN"T OUR BACKUP IN? threads. I also can't find the original post on the Colorado boards.

I tell you, sometimes we Hawk fans don't realize how good we have it here. .net boards are so freaking clean compared to other teams boards, hell, even most NFL boards suck in comparison, but college? forget about it.

Anyway, sorry for the digression. I don't know how long shoulders take to heal. I do know that you need a grade 3 before they consider surgery to clean it up, but it's usually a one month injury. Assuming he didn't get dinged again in the Colorado game, he may have some zip back. 70 feet per second vs 55 feet per second may not sound relevant, but that lower velocity really does allow DB's to break on the ball much easier. In NFL terms, a guy like Wilson usually throws 75 fps, Matthew Stafford and Aaron Rodgers are near 80 fps, and the thing that often makes Kaep so great when he's on, is an 85fps football.., super hard to defend against.

THis is some great information Zman. Thanks. And as yall are saying..it is gonna be a great game. BSU liked Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl...and will probably be rooting for Washington in this game.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I was wondering for a while why JB didn't look like the one I saw against Stanford..He has a laser quick pass but you didn't see it later in the season..I sure hope it's back now

justafan

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":61rnh9jv said:
Here's how UW can win this game I believe. ALL of these things must happen for a Dawg W:

1) ZERO turnovers. Bama has scored shitloads of defensive points off turnovers this year and Huskies simply can't afford any. Period. None. ZERO
2) Eight in the box to slow Bama run game and force them to throw more than they usually do which takes them out of their comfort zone. That will of course mean the Husky DBs must cover well. They are capable of doing so.
3) Hit a couple of big plays whether it's trick shit or someone not named Ross stepping up. Expect Sabin to do what it takes to mostly take Ross out of the game.
4) Find a way to get a decent running game going. This may be the most difficult task of all but o-line is going to have to be good enough to open some holes. Don't have to run for 200, but 110 or so has to happen. This should slow the pass rush and keep Browning from being under too much heat. He doesn't usually handle pressure well.
5) Browning has to be spot on all day, no underthrows, NO picks. Peterson needs to give him all routes that his weaker arm can handle and as mentioned the o-line needs to protect well.
6) UW gets a TD via the defense or ST.

This is the first game i have looked at and thought if we can keep their D or special teams from scoring we can keep it close.

We have the skill players who can compete with anyone in the country.Our DBs are the best in the country.But the trench is where it will be won. SEC teams and especially Bama have the best,You can write down the top 8 DLinemans names and i bet most will be drafted after they are done in school.

Browning,who i think has been injured must play great.

A lot of people think CP can do something special with so much time to prepare.I hope they are right because Saban is the greatest coach is CF history in my opinion and I am sure he will have his team ready.