Washington v. Alabama

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":lq76568k said:
JSeahawks":lq76568k said:
Alabama has played 3 defenses better then UW's in yards per game, and 2 defenses better then UW's in points per game. I love your enthusiasm as a fan, and if it was my team i'd be the same, but youre either delusional or in denial.

I'll be surprised if UW scores 17 points. And i expect Brownings weak arm to throw a minimum of two interceptions he doesnt have the arm strength to throw it into the tight windows that alabama requires. And UW is not running on Alabama. They're just not. Its not even worth a discussion.

Are you going to argue with every Huskies fan and tell them why they are wrong?

Only the ones that are wrong.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3m2cp0vk said:

He's wrong?

and you're not?

Interesting. We should rename the internet after you I guess.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":j9eo4f9a said:
fenderbender123":j9eo4f9a said:
Sgt. Largent":j9eo4f9a said:
fenderbender123":j9eo4f9a said:
Washington more or less abandoned the run against USC, and I hope the coaches learned their lesson. They were able to gain yards pounding the football against USC, but the yardage and stats are skewed because of sacks and tackles for loss. There times in that game where Washignton's O line really really good in the run game against USC, but they'd go away from it. So I really don't like the idea of using that 1 game as a measuring stick for how well they will run against Alabama.

Yep, but the USC game is going to be the same challenge that Alabama poses.............playing a team where you DON'T have the best athletes and size.

In the games that the Husky's have won this year, it's been done by having the greater number of dynamic skill players AND being the more physical team in the trenches.

So the question is can the Husky's match Alabama's physicality and figure out a way to move the ball on offense against 6-6 first round draft picks along that insane front seven? I ain't even worried about their offense, our D should play well against a freshman QB. I'm worried about our offense with Jake and the run game being suffocated like that USC game.

Don't abandon the run, and don't call any long-developing reverses or backward passes. Those are what killed Washington vs USC. Just line up and pound the football, and don't abandon it just because there are a couple plays that went for no gain. There's a reason to be optimistic. Washington's O-line is good...I've been saying it all year.

And I hope nobody is misunderstanding me. If I had to bet straight up in this game, I'd bet on Alabama. But I do think Washington has a reasonable chance of winning this game.

I'd agree with you if the Husky's had a more dynamic Russell Wilson type QB that could escape pressure and create. If teams have success against Alabama, it's with those type of QB's.

IMO Browning is the exact opposite of that, he NEEDS that 3-4 seconds of a clean pocket to go through his progressions and make an accurate throw. We've seen him struggle mightedly in games like the USC and Colorado games when he was under pressure and didn't have clean pockets.

So yes, if the Dawgs don't get the run game going? It's gonna be a beatdown of biblical proportions. If they somehow can? This game will be close into the 4th.

Colorado has one of the best pass defenses in the country, possibly even better than Alabama when everything is considered. Jake got pressured a bit, and did throw a couple inaccurate passes, but there were also some uncharacteristic drops by John Ross that made it appear that he had a worse game than he did.

Jake has absolutely looked way better against inferior defenses when he has all day to throw, but although he has struggled when pressured, he has also shown the ability to move around the pocket very well while keeping his eyes downfield, and seems to know exactly when he can tuck it and run for a first down. I wouldn't describe him as fast, but I'd say he moves like Aaron Rodgers.

davidonmi

Reaction score
When you are comparing defenses statistically you have to consider the context. Team like Florida LSU play in the sec which is not a good passing or offensive conference. Statistics would say uw has a much better offense than bama. We all know that isnt the case.
UW is at worst the 2nd best defense bama will face this year. Give me early season browning and we have a fighting chance. I just don't trust that we'll get it.

The Oline also looked great during pac-12 play because they played to their strengths. Guys like Harris and Shelton and good on the move, and in the run game. However if uw cannot run, they aren't big enough nor strong enough to hold up in pass pro against Bama's nfl front.

If I were to call it now I'd say bama 24-10 or something. We'll need to somehow steal a touchdown and force a couple of turnovers to have a good chance

fenderbender123

Reaction score
davidonmi":367mgjtg said:
.Give me early season browning and we have a fighting chance.

I'm telling you...I think he got banged up a couple times this year. Now he's got a month off to recover.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":fnzoin5c said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoachSamz/status/806166812287238144[/tweet]

I'm pretty sure he was joking when he mentioned going up the street to practice against the Seahawks, and that Pete just went along with it. But if it somehow happens, that would be pretty cool. I just don't think that's a normal thing to happen in CFB, especially since NFL teams need to utilize every second they can to prepare for the next team. I suppose if Pete thinks it can somehow be beneficial for Seattle, and there are no rules against it, it might happen.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3j0o45r8 said:
KitsapGuy":3j0o45r8 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoachSamz/status/806166812287238144[/tweet]

I'm pretty sure he was joking when he mentioned going up the street to practice against the Seahawks, and that Pete just went along with it. But if it somehow happens, that would be pretty cool. I just don't think that's a normal thing to happen in CFB, especially since NFL teams need to utilize every second they can to prepare for the next team. I suppose if Pete thinks it can somehow be beneficial for Seattle, and there are no rules against it, it might happen.

Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I could see Peterson having Carroll come in to talk to his team about preparing for championship games, other then that, i really cant imagine the Huskies stepping on the field with the Hawks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2djz9hj6 said:
davidonmi":2djz9hj6 said:

I'm telling you...I think he got banged up a couple times this year. Now he's got a month off to recover.

Not so much banged up, but he definitely had his confidence shaken a couple games..........which is understandable. Remember, he's only a sophomore.

I don't think it was a coincidence that he wasn't quite as accurate and sharp with his reads and throws after the USC game.

That's why I was kinda bummed to see how he struggled in the Colorado game, first game since the USC game where he didn't look like his usual confident sharp self we saw all year.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3il62q2n said:
Uncle Si":3il62q2n said:
JSeahawks":3il62q2n said:

He's wrong?

and you're not?

Interesting. We should rename the internet after you I guess.

There are two forces at work there. #1 He's a pretty smart football fan and is mostly stating the obvious, but on the other hand he's over-inflating the case for Alabama to fit his narrative. And who could blame him?

Husky fans have been absolute arrogant assholes through the years. Reminiscent of 49er fans...(though not nearly as full of themselves as USC prigs)

Despite what he says, he absolutely does not want UW to win that game, no effing way. Could you imagine how Oregon fans feel right now? All those years of getting their time in the sun, stroking themselves and mocking the Husky downturn and galloping around and squawking about the "natty" as if they were God's sweet gift to football, and to come away with absolutely not one trophy?

Just imagine how you would feel as Seahawk fan, if we had lost the 2013 Superbowl, and then completely fell apart and the 49ers came roaring back this year with a chance to get their 6th... man, the team they were playing against would carry all your hopes and dreams on its back.

If JSeahawks gave the Huskies any credit here at all, I'd question his little ducky heart. ;)

A fan is gonna fan. As it should be.

You are correct. I've wanted them to make the playoffs. And now i hope they get their souls crushed.

That being said... my opinions in this thread have almost nothing to do with Washington. Its just that Alabama is that good. If Alabama plays their A game t here's not another team in the country that stays within 14 points. If they play their B game they still easily beat most everyone in the country with the exception of maybe another top 5 team who plays their perfect game.

Its going to take something flukey for Alabama not to win the championship. And that includes when they play clemson or Ohio State.

Largent80

Reaction score
It's a football game. Things are always possible even in improbable situations.

I certainly didn't see a weak Tampa Bay defense throttling the Hawks, and that's what happened.

cymatica

Reaction score
Heard on the radio, 950 kjr i think, that the committee put UW at 4 instead of 3 hoping for a Clemson rematch, figuring UW gets pounced. Sure it was speculation, but would be a great middle finger if they win

davidonmi

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33ki0m7t said:
fenderbender123":33ki0m7t said:
davidonmi":33ki0m7t said:

Not so much banged up, but he definitely had his confidence shaken a couple games..........which is understandable. Remember, he's only a sophomore.

I don't think it was a coincidence that he wasn't quite as accurate and sharp with his reads and throws after the USC game.

That's why I was kinda bummed to see how he struggled in the Colorado game, first game since the USC game where he didn't look like his usual confident sharp self we saw all year.
there have been rumors of a banged up shoulder. he's not the only one who has said that.

while he never had a big arm, since that OSU game it's been completely shot

HawkGA

Reaction score
cymatica":k5ziofzl said:
Heard on the radio, 950 kjr i think, that the committee put UW at 4 instead of 3 hoping for a Clemson rematch, figuring UW gets pounced. Sure it was speculation, but would be a great middle finger if they win

Clemson rematch with who? Bama? I doubt the committee was really looking forward to that. If that's what they wanted then they could have simply put Clemson 4, left Ohio State at 2 and moved UW up to 3 (which is actually probably what they should have done, Clemson's conference championship win wasn't particularly impressive). Also, I would think in the committee's eyes that UW would be the easier match for Clemson instead of Ohio State (who they seem to have a hard on for) so better to drop Ohio State all the way down to 4 and put Washington at 3.

davidonmi

Reaction score
the statistical predictors like Sagarin, FPI, 538 all have it as significantly closer than that betting line suggests. they all have it at about a 7-10 spread. 10-14 is fair. the fact that people are betting it up to 18 is ridiculous.

This season is still a great success no matter what. As long as this team doesn't pull a 2015 michigan state, husky fans will be happy

Schadie001

Reaction score
Washington actually got the better end of the draw. They would have to go through Alabama almost certainly anyway. This gives Chris Peterson almost a full month to prepare a game plan against Alabama. Peterson has a pretty dam good track record against teams when given the time to prepare. The one thing that no one seems to be talking about here is that out of all of the teams left not name Alabama Washington is the most balanced. On offense WA can run and pass the ball, when sharp Browning is as accurate as any passer in the NCAA and WA can run with the best of them. Ross is elite and WA has a good group of consistent WR's and RB's. On Defense WA can stop the run as well as having some of the best DB's in the NCAA. IF wasn't can devote to stopping the run, Alabama doesn't throw the ball that well. WA can keep up in scoring as they have shown all year the ability to get into the end zone. I get it, Alabama is THAT good. But no balanced team has had THAT much time to study them and device a plan like a Peterson led UW will have had. Also, there is a tendency for one team or the other to come out flat with this big of a lay off. Usually, it is the team who is supposed to win and starts believing the hype. Could go in UW's favor if Alabama thinks there are THAT good. Just saying...

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Here's how UW can win this game I believe. ALL of these things must happen for a Dawg W:

1) ZERO turnovers. Bama has scored shitloads of defensive points off turnovers this year and Huskies simply can't afford any. Period. None. ZERO
2) Eight in the box to slow Bama run game and force them to throw more than they usually do which takes them out of their comfort zone. That will of course mean the Husky DBs must cover well. They are capable of doing so.
3) Hit a couple of big plays whether it's trick shit or someone not named Ross stepping up. Expect Sabin to do what it takes to mostly take Ross out of the game.
4) Find a way to get a decent running game going. This may be the most difficult task of all but o-line is going to have to be good enough to open some holes. Don't have to run for 200, but 110 or so has to happen. This should slow the pass rush and keep Browning from being under too much heat. He doesn't usually handle pressure well.
5) Browning has to be spot on all day, no underthrows, NO picks. Peterson needs to give him all routes that his weaker arm can handle and as mentioned the o-line needs to protect well.
6) UW gets a TD via the defense or ST.

Latest posts