We may have hit the lottery with Rawls

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":31u618ci said:
Rawls was signed as a rookie free agent since he went undrafted. What kind of contract is he in and if it expires at end of season then what can we look to pay. What will all this mean?

We've got him for two more years after this one with his 2017 hit a whopping $620,000. If he can keep this up, we really are in a great position heading forward.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Yeah, you know I wasn't sold on Rawls as a long term plan. I thought highly of him from the start, but was thinking that we should be looking at drafting a big time RB next year. I am no longer thinking we need to draft anyone except as depth. This kid is for real and flashed everything I'd want to see from a Seahawks running back: speed, agility, power, great hands, punishing run finish, etc.

Love what I see from the kid!

Chawker

Reaction score
How can you expect the Seahawk to pay Rawls a huge contract without knowing if he is durable enough to handle the riggers of a full season. You don't know this yet, everybody here is evaluating him on a two or three game basis, and its called "buying a pig in a poke" Like I said you can't do this yet, for the simple reason theres not enough data on him to draw the conclusion you guys are trying to predict. Sure Rawls has had a couple of good games but, so did Rick Mirer.

sutz

Reaction score
Chawker":1n26y3my said:
How can you expect the Seahawk to pay Rawls a huge contract without knowing if he is durable enough to handle the riggers of a full season. You don't know this yet, everybody here is evaluating him on a two or three game basis, and its called "buying a pig in a poke" Like I said you can't do this yet, for the simple reason theres not enough data on him to draw the conclusion you guys are trying to predict. Sure Rawls has had a couple of good games but, so did Rick Mirer.
I don't hear anyone offering multi-million dollar contracts yet. But I'm on board with giving him the reps and seeing how he does. It is sounding a lot like Marshawn is done for the season, so we don't have a lot of choice. Much like Wilson, he may be short, but he isn't really 'small.' He's built pretty solidly. Maybe he can handle the pounding. He seems to dish out more punishment than he gets, anyway. Good backs do that. ;)

From a post above, it sounds like we have this season and next to decide on a long term contract offer.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm just concerned about his durability.

But he may just give us the midseason spark we need to go on a run. I won't be expecting 200 yards from him against the Steelers (#3 DVOA vs the run), but a solid 80 might not be out of the realm of possibility. And I like that he can catch passes too.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
While Rawls looked good, you have to keep in mind who the competition was.

The 49er defense looked atrocious.

Being a good NFL RB takes more than a sample size of 2 games.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Chawker":eu6qje0v said:

For UDFAs like Rawls, you can't extend him until he has played two full seasons. We have at least until the end of the 2016 season to observe him.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":32wv57dp said:

Didnt he put up 150 plus against a Bengals defense that was top 5 in the NFL going into last night?

And why are we randomly so concerned about his durability? People are acting like the guy is 175 pounds for goodness sake. The guy is a tank.

I get the wait and see approach, I do, but sometimes I feel like there are some among us who worry just to worry.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Rawls 101 carries for 604 yards. 2nd in the league in YPC behind only Karlos Williams. Even better he has only had 5% of his runs go for negative yards. That is a huge benefit.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He looks great--but I'm with Kearly, another running back that can definitely handle a lot of carries and punish defenses should be a priority.

He reminded me of Bears/Jets-era Thomas Jones yesterday. So decisive and quick.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":ijmn6yzm said:
Scneider is the best scout in the NFL.

Not true, not by a longshot. His scouting has been very poor the last few years. His draft picks that looked bad at the time have looked even worse with time. The "reaches" have become busts. The "why did we spend a pick on that position?" are either not on the team or buried way down on the depth chart of a team with WAAAAAAAAY less depth than it used to have.

And UDFA is largely luck.

If Schneider REALLY thought Doug Baldwin would be our best overall WR since joining the team he WOULD NOT have Baldwin enter UDFA and sign with whatever team he wants. Schneider had noooooooooooo idea that Baldwin would have a nice NFL career, all he thought was that he would be a good option out of the players who didnt get drafted.

It's great to land a good player in UDFA, but what does it say about the GM when players who don't get drafted are waaaaaay better than players that the GM spent early picks on?

Newsflash: Schneider thought soooooo highly of Christine Michael that he made a comment about how good teams can't pass on players as good as Michael or else they won't stay good for long.

Schneider didn't even think highly enough of Rawls to GUARANTEE WE GET HIM by using even a 7th round pick.

And to the people who will say "Schneider was smart enough to know Rawls would go undrafted and sign with us" then why wasn't he smart enough to pass on Michael when we had OBVIOUS needs elsewhere with better players on the board?

As much as many posters on here would like to deny it, Schneider lost his "magic" years ago. He has been outsmarting himself left and right. After making good trades early (clemons, lynch) he followed it up with the worst trade in NFL history which is hurting the team to this day.

The best thing that can be said about his trades lately is "at least we got something instead of nothing".

The myth that Schneider is the best GM or best scout needs to die. He has been EXTREMELY mediocre for several years now.

CPHawk

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":1j4n2syg said:

Last week he had two carries for 19 yards. He should have gotten 15 carries vs Arizona.

Maulbert

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2lg1xy15 said:
Lords of Scythia":2lg1xy15 said:

Not true, not by a longshot. His scouting has been very poor the last few years. His draft picks that looked bad at the time have looked even worse with time. The "reaches" have become busts. The "why did we spend a pick on that position?" are either not on the team or buried way down on the depth chart of a team with WAAAAAAAAY less depth than it used to have.

If Schneider REALLY thought Doug Baldwin would be our best overall WR since joining the team he WOULD NOT have Baldwin enter UDFA and sign with whatever team he wants. Schneider had noooooooooooo idea that Baldwin would have a nice NFL career, all he thought was that he would be a good option out of the players who didnt get drafted.

It's great to land a good player in UDFA, but what does it say about the GM when players who don't get drafted are waaaaaay better than players that the GM spent early picks on?

Newsflash: Schneider thought soooooo highly of Christine Michael that he made a comment about how good teams can't pass on players as good as Michael or else they won't stay good for long.

Schneider didn't even think highly enough of Rawls to GUARANTEE WE GET HIM by using even a 7th round pick.

And to the people who will say "Schneider was smart enough to know Rawls would go undrafted and sign with us" then why wasn't he smart enough to pass on Michael when we had OBVIOUS needs elsewhere with better players on the board?

As much as many posters on here would like to deny it, Schneider lost his "magic" years ago. He has been outsmarting himself left and right. After making good trades early (clemons, lynch) he followed it up with the worst trade in NFL history which is hurting the team to this day.

The best thing that can be said about his trades lately is "at least we got something instead of nothing".

The myth that Schneider is the best GM or best scout needs to die. He has been EXTREMELY mediocre for several years now.

Worst trade in NFL history? Hyperbolic much? Look up the Herschel Walker trade. No trade is as bad as that one. And calm down. Schneider is fine. At the very least, he's way better than Trent Baalke.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Maulbert":3fa5gc1n said:
bjornanderson21":3fa5gc1n said:
Lords of Scythia":3fa5gc1n said:

Worst trade in NFL history? Hyperbolic much? Look up the Herschel Walker trade. No trade is as bad as that one. And calm down. Schneider is fine. At the very least, he's way better than Trent Baalke.

No hyperbole.

What we gave up in draft picks + the INSANE contract given to him + the almost nothing we got in return on the field is already enough to make it the worst ever.

What makes it even worse is that if the Hawks had gone out and signed just an average WR we would have gone 19-0 on our way to our first championship. You guys are in denial about how much the Harvin trade hurt.

Not only would we have gone 19-0 in 2013, we would have won the Super Bowl last year due to a better roster. Even if Schneider isnt using his picks wisely we would still have at least landed a cheaper body somewhere. The extra cap space from Harvin's deal would've landed us a significant piece or two last year.

The Harvin trade cost us a 19-0 season and back-to-back Lombardis. Worst trade ever.

And sorry everyone for derailing thread. When I see someone say Schneider is the best scout thats ALMOST as false as saying the Niners are the classiest organization in football.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
As long as Rawls can stay healthy while taking a pounding I would be 100% ok with the idea of bringing in another young RB to compete, and either letting Rawls be the workhorse if he can handle it or go with a RBBC approach.

As long as we upgrade our OL a bit I think we will be just fine without Lynch.

Rawls deserves a chance to prove he can be THE MAN

Hawkpower

Reaction score
nanomoz":1xrmt8jf said:
He looks great--but I'm with Kearly, another running back that can definitely handle a lot of carries and punish defenses should be a priority.

He reminded me of Bears/Jets-era Thomas Jones yesterday. So decisive and quick.

I'd like to have another RB because its a good idea to have two, but there is nothing about Rawls size or playing style that precludes him from being an every down back.

Are there some who are under the impression that Rawls is a itty bitty scat back?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":mzt8578o said:
WilsonMVP":mzt8578o said:
Northwest Seahawk":mzt8578o said:
It's early yet in his career but they may have just found a replacement for Lynch and that's awesome. It's awesome for so many reasons but mostly because it saves draft capital a free agency for other things we very much need.

I hope so...

For the year Rawls has about 600 yards now. In 3 of the 4 games he has 10 or more carries he has 104 yards, 169 yards and 209 yards

Offense has looked pretty good with him in and with about the same ammount of carries he has done better than Lynch

If he does become the next Lynch the magnitude of this can't be overstated . Wilson has to have a running game to excel anyone who disputes this is delusional.
A goddamned run first Offense?, you finally figured that out Einstein ?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":3oknxqgx said:
Tical21":3oknxqgx said:
At the very least, the play of Rawls this season figures to save us from spending a high draft pick or using other resources to find another back.

We'll see. We need a power back to compliment Rawls if Lynch moves on, and Freeman out of Oregon would fit our needs really really well.

Rawls is awesome but was anyone else cringing watching him get up slow like 4 times today? All that collision in a small body, and the guys he gets compared to were good but oft-injured backs. Gonna be some interesting decisions at RB this offseason.
I Love, love, love, love Rawls, but I think you're right............. RB by Committee.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Northern Hawk":3hj2uvir said:
I loved what was pointed out by Ronde Barber. How well he cuts and changes direction so quickly. A quicker change of direction than Lynch sometimes. If the o-line is finally developed and he can get to the 2nd level on a regular basis he will be a monster.
Ya, ain't it funny how the run sets up the pass?