Wenhawk's Draft Grade

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Not every draft can be a sexy one. Continually drafting in the back half has lead to many unspectacular early round picks and even multiple years of trading our top pick for proven NFL talent. Pete and John look at what a person can do and not what they can't. This year our first pick is exactly that. I'd say the most enigmatic player of this draft, he could be a Javon Kearse/Mario Williams type freak or he could gather his millions and never amount to anything. Maybe I am a little more positive than other because I love how we worked this draft. Traded back multiple times and brought in a haul of players that will infuse our defense with some passion and hard hitting. I want to get our swagger back and be a team other teams fear again. This is the type of draft that could accomplish that.

My Grade for us is an A-

We nailed it with McDowell and turning our #26 into #34, #95, #111, #187, and #249. I don't get those that are pissed we didn't stay stand pat and draft a CB. We just got the best penetrating DT in this draft as well and 3 players with some upside to fill out our secondary.

2 - Malik McDowell DT: A+
The #1 guy I wanted for the Seahawks. McDowell and Myles Garrett are the only two defensive players that can literally take over a game. I think McDowell is a guy in redrafts a few years from now will be going top 5. Pass rush is the only way to beat NE. Pass Rush will also do wonders for our secondary who has not been producing the turnover numbers we are used to.

2 - Ethan Pocic C/G/T: A
Pocic was overlooked by many in the pre-draft process. John said they were sweating this one out and almost traded up to get him. Nobody was looking at Centers because that’s the one spot we had figured out with Britt. What great is Pocic is just a dang good O-lineman. He opened some big holes for Fournette. Get to the second level well and has a lot of experience against good competition. This is a guy who will win a starting job as one of our best 5 lineman and bring some nastiness to this line.

3 - Shaquill Griffin CB: B-
Checks all the measurable boxes. Has a unique story, will be a great teammate and has a knack for big plays. I would have like to get Jourdan Lewis over Shaq but I understand they concerns around Lewis. He will be taking a big step up in competition at the pro level and it will be interesting to see how quickly he can build his strength and learn Seattle’s kick step. Passionate player who will inject some fun back into our defense.

3 - Delano Hill S: C+
With all the talent comping out of Michigan’s defense who really makes their D tick? I am hoping that Hill was just overlooked but I am quite surprised we reached for him in the 3rd round. I think I need to watch a few of the big games Michigan played to see who was making the big plays at big times. I hope I am surprised by him but I don’t’ think he beats out McDougal this season. He should be an impact ST player though.

3 - Nazair Jones DT: B
A big nasty that will help clog the middle. I think he is our replacement for Tony McDaniel and from the film he does look to hold up well in the run game. Our DT rotation is going to be the best it has been since I can remember.

3 - Amara Darboh WR: B+
What’s not to like about his size, speed, explosiveness, back story, and game film. I think Darboh pushes Kearse off the team by mid-season.

4 - Tedric Thompson S: C+
Love his passion for the game. Did not get a lot of pre draft hype. The Colorado secondary was amazing and only time will tell if Awuzie, Witherspoon, Thompson just made each other better and who can stand on their own. Thompson was not one to shy away from making tackles and fits our size, weight, speed. There is going to be some great completion in the secondary this season and Thompson will find a way to stick.

6 - Mike Tyson S: C
Hard nose players who has a passion for the game. At this point we are getting crowded in our secondary and Pete is hoping somebody sticks our. I think Tyson is a guy we hope to keep around on the PS. Will be a good add on ST.

6 - Justin Senior OT: D +
Big body with experience, will be batteling with Odihombo and Hunt for a roster spot. Figure he will go the way of Terry Poole.

7 - David Moore WR: D +
If Lawler hasn’t added any weight Moore has a shot to take his Practice squad spot.

7 - Christopher Carson RB: A
Hard hard runner with some talent. Can’t wait to see him in preseason and wonder if he has a legit shot to take Collins spot on the roster.

chet380

Reaction score
Wenhawk":26wzxk9a said:
Checks all the measurable boxes. Has a unique story, will be a great teammate and has a knack for big plays. I would have like to get Jourdan Lewis over Shaq but I understand they concerns around Lewis. He will be taking a big step up in competition at the pro level and it will be interesting to see how quickly he can build his strength and learn Seattle’s kick step. Passionate player who will inject some fun back into our defense.

With all the talent comping out of Michigan’s defense who really makes their D tick? I am hoping that Hill was just overlooked but I am quite surprised we reached for him in the 3rd round. I think I need to watch a few of the big games Michigan played to see who was making the big plays at big times. I hope I am surprised by him but I don’t’ think he beats out McDougal this season. He should be an impact ST player though.

A big nasty that will help clog the middle. I think he is our replacement for Tony McDaniel and from the film he does look to hold up well in the run game. Our DT rotation is going to be the best it has been since I can remember.

What’s not to like about his size, speed, explosiveness, back story, and game film. I think Darboh pushes Kearse off the team by mid-season.

[.
Please go to the nfl.com Draft Tracker and the link for each of these players will give you "strengths", "weaknesses" and "outlook" -- I think you will find that the weaknesses outlined will disqualify any of these guys as a starter -- I believe that 3 of the 4 will not make it past training camp.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Pretty sure Kam's weaknesses pre-draft would have suggested he not make the team either. Just sayin'.

Rocket

Reaction score
chet380":18bkeke2 said:
Please go to the nfl.com Draft Tracker and the link for each of these players will give you "strengths", "weaknesses" and "outlook" -- I think you will find that the weaknesses outlined will disqualify any of these guys as a starter -- I believe that 3 of the 4 will not make it past training camp.

Well then, let the draft trackers just decide fake games and we can watch it on the TeeVee and no one will have to build stadiums... and we can cure cancer and give away free boob jobs with all the money that's left.

Hyak

Reaction score
chet380":37a28543 said:

And how accurate is Lance Zierlein? Reading back through old scouting reports and seeing initial reaction to picks shows how laughable bad these "experts" tend to be.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
chet380":lvwi6k4h said:

Let's take a look at some of the past player reviews from that site you mentioned.

Kam Chancellor

WEAKNESSES
Chancellor can play over aggressive at times, take poor angles and is susceptible to play fakes. Taller player who could improve his pad level. Needs to be lower in his back peddle. Is more comfortable in the box and doesn?t possess the coverage skills, ball skills and instincts to be consistently relied upon against the pass.

Tyler Lockett

Weaknesses
Very slightly built. Struggles with physical cornerbacks and can be redirected in his routes. Press coverage could be an issue for him on the next level. Scouts are concerned that he is too slightly built to be a full-time NFL kick returner. Likely relegated to the slot only in the NFL. Hands are inconsistent in traffic. Top-end speed in question. Got caught from behind more than once.

Richard Sherman

WEAKNESSES
Can be baited out of position when in zone and a tick late to diagnose underneath routes. Tall, high-cut prospect who displays some hip-stiffness. Not explosive when transitioning or when changing direction. Lacks great recovery skills when beaten off the line. Can struggle tacking in the open field at times.

According to you, these three should have been disqualified right??

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
chet380":1b42mlhm said:
Wenhawk":1b42mlhm said:

[.

Of course 3rd rounders have downsides. That's why they're 3rd rounders.

But if 3rd rounders' weaknesses ALWAYS, as a rule, disqualified, them from starting, we wouldn't have Russell Wilson and Tyler Lockett.

You don't expect every 3rd rounder to start, of course, and not every 3rd-rounder will be a Wilson or Lockett. But you have to think about whether they fell to the 3rd round for dumb reasons, whether they're a better fit for Seattle than other places, whether they can overcome their weaknesses with coaching, etc.

Those 3rd rounders had enough production, tape, and physical measurables to get picked in the 3rd. The potential is there for all of them.

Your cynicism is better suited for sixth rounders and undrafted free agents. I'd bet three of the four, at least, to be hanging around as depth to open the season (I'm a little down on Jones)

chet380

Reaction score
Please don't confuse my disappointment with "cynicism" -- I believe that the Hawks should have used the draft capital of Rd. 3 to trade up, rather than disappointingly "hoping for the best" with these questionable Rd. 3 picks.

titan3131

Reaction score
Bro you know you should have ranked the Malik pick with a A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
chet380":vzotk5xo said:
Wenhawk":vzotk5xo said:

[.

3 of the 4 not make it past training camp bro i'm going to call you out when your wrong and you wjill be there is no doubt about it . Have a good day.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Chet380, please find another place to post. Seahawks.net needs less contributors like you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Wenhawk":o8fs2mdm said:
Chet380, please find another place to post. Seahawks.net needs less contributors like you.

You're going to get crap for "discouraging" conversation, but the group of annoying critics are just throwing the same crap out in every thread and not backing it up with any intelligent thought.

I'm with you, Wen.

chris98251

Reaction score
chet380":3eoc5le6 said:
Wenhawk":3eoc5le6 said:

[.

Many of these write ups are virtually identical to how they valued Sherman, Chancellor, Thomas, one scout's opinion doesn't make the player a success and or a bust, scheme he is used in, how he is used, does he get put in a position to excel with his strengths and mask his weaknesses. These are things that Pete and the defense does well not to mention coaching technique and working on the weaknesses to make them more strengths.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Rocket":2r1oshsc said:
chet380":2r1oshsc said:

Well then, let the draft trackers just decide fake games and we can watch it on the TeeVee and no one will have to build stadiums... and we can cure cancer and give away free boob jobs with all the money that's left.

Luv your comeback answer Rocket. :2thumbs:
Most people agree, that NOBODY can say for certain that ANY Drafted player will or won't pan out.... then there are some that like to hang their beliefs on somebody/anybody, other than the SUCCESSFUL John Schneider, Pete Carroll and the professional scouts employed by the Seahawks.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wenhawk":ic79ktwi said:

Dude, I appreciate your long post, but the guy is entitled to his own opinions (even if I disagree with them).

If you find him annoying, there's always an ignore feature you can use.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
chet380":220vgz7i said:
Please don't confuse my disappointment with "cynicism" -- I believe that the Hawks should have used the draft capital of Rd. 3 to trade up, rather than disappointingly "hoping for the best" with these questionable Rd. 3 picks.

They just would have picked the same guys. The media has been revealing that McDowell and Pocic were topping their draft boards anyway.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chet380":24ec2o48 said:

All draft picks are questionable, even the players that go top 10 every year.

I LOVE that we went back to our fast and physical philosophy that created one of the nastiest fastest most physical teams of all time 3-4 years ago.

Our FO got away from that a little the last 2-3 drafts. So if there's one takeaway I have of who we drafted? FAST. PHYSICAL.

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
Didn't we just pick up the second overall pick in Luke Joechel, and Dion Jordan? Both considered busts. So.......... Where is the correlation between results and speculation? We have gotten much better Value out of our 5th round selection, Luke Wilson, than the 2nd and 3rd overall picks. So all this trading up nonsense is ridiculous; the Draft is pure speculation. There is no metric for a mans heart, drive or gumption.

Edited to add Dion Jordan

mikeak

Reaction score
Ok I am thinking we need a new thread. Not sure where it belongs but everyone gets to make a pick at the spot where Seattle selected. You get to pick someone left on the board at this time. You cannot trade up (sorry but you could elect not to trade down

Starting this thread. Put all the expert opinions there and then we look at it at the end of the year and again a year later. Any interest?