What are our playoff clinching scenarios the next 2 weeks?

original poster

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2akgjjqy said:
SoulfishHawk":2akgjjqy said:
Well, playoffs start on Sunday, no other way to look at it.
Playoffs started last Sunday, we just changed it to a double elimination bracket and even then don't have any say if the falcons win Sunday.

Not strictly true, as pointed out above.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
But, still not out of it, no matter how hard you try to convince everyone that we suck and have zero change :lol:

hawknation2017

Reaction score
johnnyfever":3700l924 said:
SoulfishHawk":3700l924 said:
Well, playoffs start on Sunday, no other way to look at it.
Playoffs started last Sunday, we just changed it to a double elimination bracket and even then don't have any say if the falcons win Sunday.

Not quite true. As explained above, if the Falcons win, the Seahawks could still get in by (1) winning out + (2) a Detroit loss + (3) New Orleans losing to Tampa Bay OR Carolina losing its two games.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":19eksc6c said:
But, still not out of it, no matter how hard you try to convince everyone that we suck and have zero change :lol:

I don't have to convince anyone, just posting the numbers. Whether you like it or not is up to you. Whether we suck or not is your opinion.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I was under the assumption this was a thread about actual playoffs chances, not our emotions

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, and we have a chance. You say we suck and/or will lose every game they play it seems. Do what you gotta' do. But if they lose, you can come in here and rub it in our faces. Because being right about your team losing is so awesome.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I just want to beat the crap out of Dallas.

For sure though I will be keeping tabs on the falcons and lions games. If we win and the falcons lose, regardless of what the lions do our overall chances to make it quadruple to 12.5%, and if the lions lose as well, then we go into week 17 with a 1 in 4 chance to at least make a wildcard.

We still have a second path as well if the Rams lose this weekend further increasing our chances.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
johnnyfever":15xe2t7x said:
I was under the assumption this was a thread about actual playoffs chances, not our emotions

No emotion. They only have a 10% chance to make the playoffs at this time. They are not even favored to beat Dallas, which they must do to make it.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
hawknation2017":24510f8v said:
johnnyfever":24510f8v said:

No emotion. They only have a 10% chance to make the playoffs at this time. They are not even favored to beat Dallas, which they must do to make it.
I was posting that in response to soulfish

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I had forgotten to take into account the second path of the Rams losing out, so you are correct for all intents and purposes, we are at about 10%

hawknation2017

Reaction score
As the link above demonstrates, an Atlanta loss is not as important as a Detroit or Carolina loss but is more probable. It's only about a 10% swing depending on whether Atlanta or New Orleans wins.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Truth, beating the NFL darlings in Dallas would be EPIC. Bad enough we have to play them w/Zeke, but we get to listen to Aikman and Buck caressing the Cowboy's nads all day long :pukeface:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
+1. To be honest, I'm much more worried about the Refs shafting the Hawks than anything. God forbid their precious Cowboys miss the playoffs :roll:

IrishNW

Reaction score
we actually have a better chance of getting in then i thought

i can muster up enough positive attitude for one last go at this this year :irishdrinkers:

hawknation2017

Reaction score
In summary, the following three things must happen in order for the Seahawks to make the playoffs (if the Rams clinch the division by winning at least one of their remaining two games):

#1 The Seahawks must beat Dallas and Arizona. Duh.

#2 Detroit must lose to Cincinnati and/or Green Bay.

#3 Atlanta, New Orleans, OR Carolina loses its remaining two games.

Because it's more likely that Atlanta would lose at home to Carolina than it is for New Orleans to lose at Tampa Bay, Seahawks fans should probably hope for the Saints to beat the Falcons.

So this weekend, in addition to rooting for a Seahawks victory, root for (1) Detroit to lose at Cincinnati, (2) Carolina to lose to Tampa Bay, and (3) Atlanta to lose to New Orleans. If all four of these things happen on Sunday, then a Seahawks victory over Arizona would be all we would need next week to secure a playoff spot. The Seahawks would essentially control their own destiny to the playoffs if these games went our way.

The Detroit/Carolina/Atlanta games are all on Sunday starting at 10 a.m. PST, so fingers crossed on those. Seahawks cannot be eliminated from playoff contention if they beat Dallas.