What could Russell Wilson realistically fetch in a trade?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":292al3ib said:
Offseason can't end soon enough and this is a dumb thread yet you keep posting in it. Ok then.

Tumblr inline n7wn8363Ul1rvu1l8
You seem mad bro? I said BORING not dumb. Keep up please. I do assume we're in agreement about real football starting though?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":1t1nwp1h said:
i too own a rw3 jersey. i too want rw3 to retire a hawk. i too hope something gets done, somehow, just so long as it doesnt sabotage the rest of the team. but what i think people are seeing now is that rw3 does not necessarily care about wins or seattle as much as we had thought. it does seem it comes down to money and ego (highest paid player) with him. sacrifices can and would be made for rw3. but...

... wilson is not the best qb in the league, and therefore does not deserve #1 money. will he get it? maybe. but probably not from the hawks. john/pete have a good idea of what a player is worth. rw3 may be the #3 after rodgers, brady, but i wouldnt go that far even simply because of his deficiencies that he has to try to make up for. he holds the ball too long and isnt decisive enough all the time. there are timing routes that he simply doesnt hit and does not try to throw open the receiver. he has serious trouble throwing consistently from the pocket, and the oline, as bad as it already is pass blocking, never knows where wilson is at. hes under duress a bunch of time at fault of his own.

so if wilson is saying that he wants to be the highest paid qb in the league, it is either good posturing, or he really is all about a personal agenda. sure, let him take the most money somebody will give him... i have no problem with that... a team like the chargers or browns for example. do u think he is good enough on his own to take those current rosters to the playoffs, let alone the superbowl? c'mon man... its unfortunate but what it sounds like (and again, we dont really know for sure) is that he wants to be the highest paid player in the league. if thats the case, he can go get overpaid and lose consistently the next 6+ seasons.

MizzouHawkGal":1t1nwp1h said:
You don't trade a quarterback of Wilson's level.

whos to say? i think its actually fair speculation at this point, this thread being valid and viable considering the present circumstances.

do you think pete and john follow the league model, or always do whats popular? i think we know enough now that nothing is off the table for pete and john. if u were to give them 2 1st rd picks for wilson and his potential cap space, im sure they could manuever more than enough to find a suitable replacement, or atleast i wouldnt put it past them. it was john after all that picked rw in the first place :p i think with the philosophy in place and the team theyve assembled u could put a guy like romo or rivers or matt ryan or flacco in place (guys that are 2nd/3rd tier qbs) and be atleast just as productive from the qb position if not even moreso.
Point is he won't lose. He's not Cam Newton he's got that special something Joe Montana had. It's something not definable by statistics but it's easy to see by anyone that looks beyond the numbers. He just wins and now he's starting to get actual weapons.

Imagine having nothing but walk on receivers and a crap OL yet winning a Superbowl and by all rights a second with basically junior varsity wide receivers.

Ricardo Lockette? Get real now.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2m3dvzbn said:
Offseason can't end soon enough and this is a dumb thread yet you keep posting in it. Ok then.

Tumblr inline n7wn8363Ul1rvu1l8
You're right I shouldn't have posted in it, but your even more right about it being a dumb thread.
Glad we can come to an agreement! :th2thumbs:

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2pipv8dn said:
Point is he won't lose.

oooooooook .... hahhaha :roll:

He's not Cam Newton he's got that special something Joe Montana had. It's something not definable by statistics but it's easy to see by anyone that looks beyond the numbers. He just wins and now he's starting to get actual weapons.

i get it, hes clutch. hes can buy time like no other qb in the league. he can run and get 1st downs. so no argument from me, i already know. but saying hes "joe montana clutch" at this point is just homerism

Imagine having nothing but walk on receivers and a crap OL yet winning a Superbowl and by all rights a second with basically junior varsity wide receivers.

no, the recievers certainly have been mediocre. anybody that follows the hawks should recognize that.

but i guess having the far and away best running game and defense the last 3 years had nothing to do with the last few seasons. "walk on" baldwin is a top 20 wideout in this league btw.

whos arguing about lockette with you? nobody.

---

anyway, youre contradicting yourself hahaha. you sit here and say "he won't lose" if he goes to another team, but then u criticize (atleast parts of) the hawks roster... which happens to be the best/deepest roster in the nfl, and takes so much pressure of wilson to have to do anything. now u put him on a browns team with a $25m/ year cap hit, and u think he will pick up where he left off in wins/losses? :roll:

please, this thread obviously isnt your strong suit. go back to waiting for the regular season

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":1j7mdv64 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1j7mdv64 said:
Point is he won't lose.

oooooooook .... hahhaha :roll:

He's not Cam Newton he's got that special something Joe Montana had. It's something not definable by statistics but it's easy to see by anyone that looks beyond the numbers. He just wins and now he's starting to get actual weapons.

i get it, hes clutch. hes can by time like no other qb in the league. he can run and get 1st downs. so no argument from me, i already know. but saying hes "joe montana clutch" at this point is just homerism

no, the recievers certainly have been mediocre. anybody that follows the hawks should recognize that.

but i guess having the far and away best running game and defense the last 3 years had nothing to do with the last few seasons. "walk on" baldwin is a top 20 wideout in this league btw.

whos arguing about lockette with you? nobody.

---

anyway, youre contradicting yourself hahaha. you sit here and say "he won't lose" if he goes to another team, but then u criticize (atleast parts of) the hawks roster... which happens to be the best/deepest roster in the nfl, and takes so much pressure of wilson to have to do anything. now u put him on a browns team with a $25m/ year cap hit, and u think he will pick up where he left off in wins/losses? :roll:

please, this thread obviously isnt your strong suit. go back to waiting for the regular season
You're correct in one thing....Fantasy football isn't my strong suit. Carry on sir because you have completely proven my point.

Go look at the other thread or two about Wilson and just as stupid given the lack of actual fact if you need more convincing that it's BORING already.

Baldwin is about our only homegrown receiver that's actually as advertised but he's the only one. And sorry he isn't first tier like Graham not even close. Hell, neither Rice or Harvin were either. Largent was first tier and MAYBE Galloway (I'd say no way).

Graham is a game changer and IF Lockett does his thing he might be also. Which will let Baldwin be that second option he was born for.

And you're arguing he isn't Joe Montana clutch? Really? Guess what? There's a salary cap now. Think about it....hard. A broken down Montana took a decent Kansas City to the AFCC. Drop Wilson onto that same team and they would have made the Superbowl and probably have won it. Point is that team sucked without Montana and so would we without Wilson like it was1990 something with Cortez Kennedy being the whole team and losing as usual.

LTH

Reaction score
I dont have a problem with letting Wilson play out his contract and then trading him...I dont think he is worth the price tag he demands... The Seahawks are a defensive team first and then a running team... trying to plug in a QB that can do what wilson does is not imposible... I know there are a lot of people that will think I am stupid but I just feel that if you look at Wilsons production that Carroll and JS can find another guy to come in and do the same thing....

If the hawks trade him for a High first round draft pick and then trade down in the draft to gain more picks they can find another QB to develope... The mistake they made was not developing some one behind Wilson the depth at QB is horrible and thats on Carroll... QB is no different than any other position its just that all of you guys are emotionally involved... and that makes situations like this hard...

just my take...

LTH

jdblack

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":1esmugqe said:
... wilson is not the best qb in the league, and therefore does not deserve #1 money.

Ugh, can't read a thread on Wilson these days without someone using this "logic". If you pay Wilson like he is the #5 QB and give him 20M/year for a 4-year extension, he'll have been paid, on average, like the #12ish (my guess) best QB by the time the contract finishes.

Paying the #5 QB over 5 years as if he is the #12 QB over 5 years doesn't make any sense, so, it doesn't make sense to base a contract on a single year's market like the quote assumes.

There's a reason the #1 QB is usually not the highest paid QB, and it's not that NFL GMs are dumb.

lukerguy

Reaction score
ANother top 7 QB under 29? But teams don't get rid of top 10 QBs, and neither will Seattle.

I'd do Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers..end of list.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":27j1eino said:
i too own a rw3 jersey. i too want rw3 to retire a hawk. i too hope something gets done, somehow, just so long as it doesnt sabotage the rest of the team. but what i think people are seeing now is that rw3 does not necessarily care about wins or seattle as much as we had thought. it does seem it comes down to money and ego (highest paid player) with him. sacrifices can and would be made for rw3. but...

... wilson is not the best qb in the league, and therefore does not deserve #1 money. will he get it? maybe. but probably not from the hawks. john/pete have a good idea of what a player is worth. rw3 may be the #3 after rodgers, brady, but i wouldnt go that far even simply because of his deficiencies that he has to try to make up for. he holds the ball too long and isnt decisive enough all the time. there are timing routes that he simply doesnt hit and does not try to throw open the receiver. he has serious trouble throwing consistently from the pocket, and the oline, as bad as it already is pass blocking, never knows where wilson is at. hes under duress a bunch of time at fault of his own.

so if wilson is saying that he wants to be the highest paid qb in the league, it is either good posturing, or he really is all about a personal agenda. sure, let him take the most money somebody will give him... i have no problem with that... a team like the chargers or browns for example. do u think he is good enough on his own to take those current rosters to the playoffs, let alone the superbowl? c'mon man... its unfortunate but what it sounds like (and again, we dont really know for sure) is that he wants to be the highest paid player in the league. if thats the case, he can go get overpaid and lose consistently the next 6+ seasons.

MizzouHawkGal":27j1eino said:
You don't trade a quarterback of Wilson's level.

whos to say? i think its actually fair speculation at this point, this thread being valid and viable considering the present circumstances.

do you think pete and john follow the league model, or always do whats popular? i think we know enough now that nothing is off the table for pete and john. if u were to give them 2 1st rd picks for wilson and his potential cap space, im sure they could manuever more than enough to find a suitable replacement, or atleast i wouldnt put it past them. it was john after all that picked rw in the first place :p i think with the philosophy in place and the team theyve assembled u could put a guy like romo or rivers or matt ryan or flacco in place (guys that are 2nd/3rd tier qbs) and be atleast just as productive from the qb position if not even moreso.
Moreso? PULEASE!, how many of these QB's that you've named have even come CLOSE to adding nearly 900 Yards to the Seahawks highly vaunted running game, or scrambled for time for some Receivers to get open ON A REGULAR BASIS.
As I read some of this "malarkey", about being able to replace Russell Wilson with just about any Johnny Football plug & play Quarterback, and get just as good, OR EVEN BETTER results? Got to be smoking dried monkey droppings.

Kamcussion

Reaction score
If I am getting this right.. Hawks are offering 5 years 105 mil and he wants 5 years at 110 mil to be the highest paid.. Is that really a big deal on either side?

AgentDib

Reaction score
What's 5 million dollars between buddies?

I probably wouldn't do any of the trades listed here for just defensive players and future picks. I don't think there's a magic category of elite QBs that you must have to be competitive, but you do need a top 10-12 guy and those are hard to get.

The only way a trade would make sense to me is during the 2017 offseason if RW is adamant about hitting the open market and there are holdout talks in response to a second franchise tag. In that scenario, it would depend on how our FO evaluated the 2017 QB draft. If they were high enough on somebody like Cardale Jones then I could see trading RW to a team with a top draft pick like the Jets and also getting a Leonard Williams type. If they weren't that high on the draft class then I would probably just want them to franchise RW a second time, play chicken with him regarding a potential holdout, and then try to get a deal done when he is a UFA.

AgentDib

Reaction score
For interest sake here's the vegas 2015 superbowl futures by team, listed by current starting QB.

Great odds x4
Russell Wilson 6/1
Aaron Rodgers 13/2
Tom Brady 8/1
Andrew Luck 17/2

Good odds x2
Tony Romo 12/1
Peyton Manning 12/1

Better than average x4
Joe Flacco 25/1
Sam Bradford 25/1
Carson Palmer 30/1
Ben Roethlisberger 30/1

Average x1
Eli Manning 32/1

Below average x9
Andy Dalton 35/1
Alex Smith 38/1
Matt Ryan 40/1
Matt Cassell 40/1
Cam Newton 40/1
Matthew Stafford 40/1
Ryan Tannenhill 40/1
Drew Brees 40/1
Nick Foles 40/1

Pretty unlikely x6
Philip Rivers 45/1
Colin Kaepernick 45/1
Ryan Mallett 50/1
Geno Smith 50/1
Jay Cutler 55/1
Teddy Bridgewater 55/1

You're saying there's a chance? x6
Jameis Winston 90/1
Josh McCown 100/1
Derek Carr 100/1
Robert Griffin III 125/1
Blake Bortles 150/1
Zach Mettenberger 200/1

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
It seems like he's just asking what people think his value would be. Not whether or not it will happen. Not whether or not we should want it to happen. Not whether or not RW is greedy, selfish, or even black enough. Hypothetical questions aren't evil or anything, guys. If I ask you what you would do if your house flooded, this isn't an indication of a desire of mine to flood your house or me voicing my approval of the unfortunate flooding of houses. He's literally asking what people think other teams would be willing to trade for Wilson.

This can be answered without insults and character assumptions by, say, making a comparison between the present and a previous situation where a QB became available for a steep price, like Jay Culter. One of us could say Cutler netted X and since RW is better than Cutler, he should be worth more than X. Someone could point out how the Cutler trade hurt the Bears at least as much as it helped them. Then someone could counter by talking about how that's in large part Cutler's fault, say RW is worth at least as much as Cutler was as a baseline, and speculate about if or how far certain teams would go beyond that baseline to outbid each other.

In other words, the OP could ask his simple question and we could all have a genuine conversation about it's very complicated answer instead of what's currently transpiring.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1xc6qur8 said:
As I read some of this "malarkey", about being able to replace Russell Wilson with just about any Johnny Football plug & play Quarterback

:34853_doh: lmao. where did i say that? tired of dealing with scum like you that refuse to digest whats actually written and get utterly delusional and lose context of whats even being discussed. its too bad you cant see clearly. pu-lease shut yo mouth

and who wants rw3 replaced with some middle of the road qb? yes there are better passing qbs out there, sorry to burst your bubble. yes, rw3 is replaceable (his replacement better be damn good if it comes to that). 99.99% of us want rw3 to stay a hawk, including myself ( :th2thumbs: shocker!). rw3 is a unique guy that has incredible mobility and has many positive traits, but dont act like hes not without fault at the qb position. case in point:

scutterhawk":1xc6qur8 said:
or scrambled for time for some Receivers to get open ON A REGULAR BASIS.

he forces himself to scramble a good part of the time. this because he'll sit back in the pocket, missing/bypassing a few reads until he needs to try and buy time, creating a scramble drill in the process. he often doesnt try to throw receivers open like an aaron rodgers. ofc, the #1 aspect of carrolls offensive philosophy is "protect the ball" ... so no, i would never expect him to force things unnecessarily, im not going that far, obviously. however, he is frustratingly overly-tentative many times, and when receivers flash open on reads, he sometimes misses them, because he lacked the anticipation / trust necessary. whether its a lack of trust of his oline, a lack of trust for his receivers to gain initial separation, or his vision over his oline, or whatever it may be, it seems he does not want to fire the ball from the pocket or focus much between the hashes. he does not use the whole field like other qbs do. this makes us less dimensional in the passing game. how often do u see timed crosses that the pats or broncos run or quick ins across the middle? its rare. but when the bradys, mannings, rivers', etc of the world use the whole field, it can be devastating

nobody here is saying rw3 isnt a top 4-7 qb. hes not asked (yet, atleast) to do and doesnt quite deliver what other qbs are asked to do, which is to utilize the whole field, consistently hit on his progressions (before a play breaks down), and carry the offense, game in game out.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
anyway, to the initial thread topic

no less than a 1st and a 2nd rounder, but more likely 2 1sts + another mid rounder + a top, cost controlled player at his position

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Russell is the best young QB in the league. If you traded him for a mid level QB like Newton or Tannehil + an All Pro level talent + one or two first round picks it still wouldn't be worth it.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Given how much the Hawks love mid-round picks for their value to cost ratio, I'd say the Hawks should seek at least one first round pick but only if that team is picking in the top ten, two second round picks, and two third round picks.

I suppose I'll get attacked for suggesting this, but I could see the Hawks putting the transitional franchise tag on Wilson in 2017, and letting another team negotiate a long-term contract with him. If the Hawks think they can afford the contract for Wilson offered by the other team, they will simply match it. If they don't, they could let him walk and take the two first round picks they received as compensation.