What could Russell Wilson realistically fetch in a trade?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Trade him to the Browns for Johnny Football ,Josh Gordon and #1 for 2 years :stirthepot:

Mick063

Reaction score
Wilson will get signed. Possibly before the season starts. If not, then after the season. I don't expect contractual starts during the season though. Neither side wants that distraction.

I would say there is a good chance of it happening before the season starts though.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":1ndjw0r3 said:
Given how much the Hawks love mid-round picks for their value to cost ratio, I'd say the Hawks should seek at least one first round pick but only if that team is picking in the top ten, two second round picks, and two third round picks.

I suppose I'll get attacked for suggesting this, but I could see the Hawks putting the transitional franchise tag on Wilson in 2017, and letting another team negotiate a long-term contract with him. If the Hawks think they can afford the contract for Wilson offered by the other team, they will simply match it. If they don't, they could let him walk and take the two first round picks they received as compensation.

Well...I guess we should assume you mean the non-exclusive franchise tag...since it is the one that gives 2 picks if another team signs him and the 'Hawks don't match. The transitional tag gives no picks, just the opportunity to match the deal if they wish.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
BadgerVid":18czhr8u said:
CalgaryHawk":18czhr8u said:
Given how much the Hawks love mid-round picks for their value to cost ratio, I'd say the Hawks should seek at least one first round pick but only if that team is picking in the top ten, two second round picks, and two third round picks.

I suppose I'll get attacked for suggesting this, but I could see the Hawks putting the transitional franchise tag on Wilson in 2017, and letting another team negotiate a long-term contract with him. If the Hawks think they can afford the contract for Wilson offered by the other team, they will simply match it. If they don't, they could let him walk and take the two first round picks they received as compensation.

Well...I guess we should assume you mean the non-exclusive franchise tag...since it is the one that gives 2 picks if another team signs him and the 'Hawks don't match. The transitional tag gives no picks, just the opportunity to match the deal if they wish.

Correct, I meant the non-exclusive franchise tag, the tag where they Hawks get two first rounders if they don't match

A

Anonymous

seatownlowdown":eyn6hnle said:
scutterhawk":eyn6hnle said:
As I read some of this "malarkey", about being able to replace Russell Wilson with just about any Johnny Football plug & play Quarterback

:34853_doh: lmao. where did i say that? tired of dealing with scum like you that refuse to digest whats actually written and get utterly delusional and lose context of whats even being discussed. its too bad you cant see clearly. pu-lease shut yo mouth

and who wants rw3 replaced with some middle of the road qb? yes there are better passing qbs out there, sorry to burst your bubble. yes, rw3 is replaceable (his replacement better be damn good if it comes to that). 99.99% of us want rw3 to stay a hawk, including myself ( :th2thumbs: shocker!). rw3 is a unique guy that has incredible mobility and has many positive traits, but dont act like hes not without fault at the qb position. case in point:

scutterhawk":eyn6hnle said:
or scrambled for time for some Receivers to get open ON A REGULAR BASIS.

he forces himself to scramble a good part of the time. this because he'll sit back in the pocket, missing/bypassing a few reads until he needs to try and buy time, creating a scramble drill in the process. he often doesnt try to throw receivers open like an aaron rodgers. ofc, the #1 aspect of carrolls offensive philosophy is "protect the ball" ... so no, i would never expect him to force things unnecessarily, im not going that far, obviously. however, he is frustratingly overly-tentative many times, and when receivers flash open on reads, he sometimes misses them, because he lacked the anticipation / trust necessary. whether its a lack of trust of his oline, a lack of trust for his receivers to gain initial separation, or his vision over his oline, or whatever it may be, it seems he does not want to fire the ball from the pocket or focus much between the hashes. he does not use the whole field like other qbs do. this makes us less dimensional in the passing game. how often do u see timed crosses that the pats or broncos run or quick ins across the middle? its rare. but when the bradys, mannings, rivers', etc of the world use the whole field, it can be devastating

nobody here is saying rw3 isnt a top 4-7 qb. hes not asked (yet, atleast) to do and doesnt quite deliver what other qbs are asked to do, which is to utilize the whole field, consistently hit on his progressions (before a play breaks down), and carry the offense, game in game out.

:thcoffee:

Folks, let's remember that we are amongst our friends-in-Hawk while here at .NET.

Please, there are ways to communicate your opinions without demeaning the individual with which you disagree. Those continuing to attack posters instead of the posts may find themselves without the privilege of to posting at all.

Thanks!
HH

crosfam

Reaction score
Just for fun - 2 #1s (one must be a top 3), and a number 2 or two number 3s. Maybe a few low picks in the 6-7 range too. Sign a veteran QB with some mobility, loadup on defensive superstars in the draft, and draft a project QB or two.

I'd rather have Wilson and another SB win or two in the next five years. I know it is a lot of cash and who wouldn't want it, but he has got to see how veterans pass on cash in order to sign talent and continue winning ways (like in NBA - Tim Duncan, the big three in Miami, etc.) Lots of vets restructure in order to do this. Win SB's, and endorsements follow that eclipse NFL salary. Maybe we should tear up this year, guarantee a lot of it, and make a deal.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson IS the best QB in the league for the Seattle Seahawks, not the best Stat wise for fantasy football buffs, not the best QB for a strictly Passing team. What he brings isn't the crap you all put on paper to argue how good or bad he is. He has the IT factor, he has that knack of making things happen and the team around him better, he is a true leader, he doesn't embarrass himself or your franchise like a lot of other young QB's, he is a marketable commodity for the team and the league for merchandise. That's just a few aspects, he is good for business and the NFL knows it, the Seahawks know it, his agent knows it and Wilson knows it.

You have to start somewhere in negotiations, this is the first real salvo in the talks, this offer now gets tweaked and things added to make it safe and or enhanced to achieve numbers that are real possibilities.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":3s93xyss said:
Wilson IS the best QB in the league for the Seattle Seahawks, not the best Stat wise for fantasy football buffs, not the best QB for a strictly Passing team. What he brings isn't the crap you all put on paper to argue how good or bad he is. He has the IT factor, he has that knack of making things happen and the team around him better, he is a true leader, he doesn't embarrass himself or your franchise like a lot of other young QB's, he is a marketable commodity for the team and the league for merchandise. That's just a few aspects, he is good for business and the NFL knows it, the Seahawks know it, his agent knows it and Wilson knows it.

You have to start somewhere in negotiations, this is the first real salvo in the talks, this offer now gets tweaked and things added to make it safe and or enhanced to achieve numbers that are real possibilities.
The voice of reason has spoken. Thank you. :)

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Overseasfan":o3p4hnbi said:
Russell is the best young QB in the league. If you traded him for a mid level QB like Newton or Tannehil + an All Pro level talent + one or two first round picks it still wouldn't be worth it.

Pete and John would trade RW for Luck straight up and pay Luck.

source: life

LTH

Reaction score
Why is Wilson so good? He was a good QB coming out of college, but he wasnt great, the Hawks picked him up in the third round... If he was such a great Qb coming out of college than why did he not get picked in the first round? Ill tell ya why because coming out of college his talent was that of a third round pick and the Seahawks coached him up and made him a great QB... Lets not forget that... thats an important piece of information...

Now nobody really knows whats going on in the contract negocioations... But dont think for a second that The Hawks are going to massively over pay wilson... They dont have to they can win with out him and they can win with an average QB that doesnt make mistakes... Look what carroll and JS do in the draft... what do you think they would do with 2-3 high first round picks for Wilson?

I like Wilson too.. I would love to see him be the QB for the rest of his carreer.. But If he is being unreasonable The team always comes first... I would not over pay this guy becauser I believe Carroll and JS can draft around him...

Just my take..

LTH

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
LTH":h4wiwopl said:
Why is Wilson so good? He was a good QB coming out of college, but he wasnt great, the Hawks picked him up in the third round... If he was such a great Qb coming out of college than why did he not get picked in the first round? Ill tell ya why because coming out of college his talent was that of a third round pick and the Seahawks coached him up and made him a great QB... Lets not forget that... thats an important piece of information...

Now nobody really knows whats going on in the contract negocioations... But dont think for a second that The Hawks are going to massively over pay wilson... They dont have to they can win with out him and they can win with an average QB that doesnt make mistakes... Look what carroll and JS do in the draft... what do you think they would do with 2-3 high first round picks for Wilson?

I like Wilson too.. I would love to see him be the QB for the rest of his carreer.. But If he is being unreasonable The team always comes first... I would not over pay this guy becauser I believe Carroll and JS can draft around him...

Just my take..

LTH

Pretty sure it was only due to his height or lack of. His size was far from a prototypical NFL QB but Carroll and company march to their own drum and snagged him where they felt they could get him in the draft. Not really sure how much the Seahawk coaching really influenced Wilson, granted the read option helped step up his game a lot but I am pretty sure he already had the tools he needed when he was drafted. Just think you are giving the Seahawks to much credit and Wilson not enough credit but that is just my opinion

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":3p71qlpa said:
It seems like he's just asking what people think his value would be. Not whether or not it will happen. Not whether or not we should want it to happen. Not whether or not RW is greedy, selfish, or even black enough. Hypothetical questions aren't evil or anything, guys. If I ask you what you would do if your house flooded, this isn't an indication of a desire of mine to flood your house or me voicing my approval of the unfortunate flooding of houses. He's literally asking what people think other teams would be willing to trade for Wilson.

This can be answered without insults and character assumptions by, say, making a comparison between the present and a previous situation where a QB became available for a steep price, like Jay Culter. One of us could say Cutler netted X and since RW is better than Cutler, he should be worth more than X. Someone could point out how the Cutler trade hurt the Bears at least as much as it helped them. Then someone could counter by talking about how that's in large part Cutler's fault, say RW is worth at least as much as Cutler was as a baseline, and speculate about if or how far certain teams would go beyond that baseline to outbid each other.

In other words, the OP could ask his simple question and we could all have a genuine conversation about it's very complicated answer instead of what's currently transpiring.
Exactly. A couple members are trolling this thread due to personal vendetta against the OP. It's selfish and unbecoming and frankly,given how often it occurs, quite old.

kearly

Reaction score
Some people in this thread are way off base. I guarantee you this is a subject that JS has given real thought, perhaps even real discussion behind closed doors. Not because he WANTS to trade Wilson, but because he needs to have everything on the table to gain a clearer picture. This isn't 'offseason not being over yet' time wasting or any other form of silliness, it's legit discussion.

And I agree with Rat, 'is the offseason over yet' has been overplayed at this point, like calling someone who isn't 1000% PC a sexist or a racist, it is used so much it is losing its meaning.

As far as the topic, I completely agree with Rat, there is no deal that you could do for Wilson that I would feel good about. It is far more reasonable just to pay Wilson what he wants. In all sports at every position, a player can get traded because he wants too much money. EXCEPT for elite QBs in the NFL. It basically never happens to them. And for good reason. They are far more valuable in terms of win % per dollar than any other position in sports, and they are one of the hardest positions to acquire at a high level.

BUT, for the sake of argument let's say it's out of JS's hands. A scenario where Wilson hates our guts and refuses to play another down here, like Palmer in Cincy. Obviously that's extremely unlikely to happen. But if it did, I would probably call the Texans and try to get Watt plus two first round picks. IMO that would still be a win for the Texans, but at least Seattle could turn that draft capital into a trade for a good QB who's obtainable for the right price (Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, etc) and, in the short term, keep winning 12 games a season.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":21cesvx9 said:
Some people in this thread are way off base. I guarantee you this is a subject that JS has given real thought, perhaps even real discussion behind closed doors. Not because he WANTS to trade Wilson, but because he needs to have everything on the table to gain a clearer picture. This isn't 'offseason not being over yet' time wasting or any other form of silliness, it's legit discussion.

And I agree with Rat, 'is the offseason over yet' has been overplayed at this point, like calling someone who isn't 1000% PC a sexist or a racist, it is used so much it is losing its meaning.

As far as the topic, I completely agree with Rat, there is no deal that you could do for Wilson that I would feel good about. It is far more reasonable just to pay Wilson what he wants. In all sports at every position, a player can get traded because he wants too much money. EXCEPT for elite QBs in the NFL. It basically never happens to them. And for good reason. They are far more valuable in terms of win % per dollar than any other position in sports, and they are one of the hardest positions to acquire at a high level.

BUT, for the sake of argument let's say it's out of JS's hands. A scenario where Wilson hates our guts and refuses to play another down here, like Palmer in Cincy. Obviously that's extremely unlikely to happen. But if it did, I would probably call the Texans and try to get Watt plus two first round picks. IMO that would still be a win for the Texans, but at least Seattle could turn that draft capital into a trade for a good QB who's obtainable for the right price (Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, etc) and, in the short term, keep winning 12 games a season.

Thank you. Can always count on you for an objective reply

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
"Wilson finished thjis last collegiate season with 33 passing touchdowns, which set the single season record at Wisconsin and was the second-most in Big Ten history behind Drew Brees during the 1998 season at Purdue (39).[47] Wilson also set the single season FBS record for passing efficiency (191.8)"

Wilson had first round talent but lacked the height that all teams are looking for, that is the only reason he was a third rounder. If he was 6'5" Wilson most likely would have been drafted in the top 3 with Luck and Griffin.

Now for trades there really is no trade that is even close to realistic and worth it unless you get another top 10 QB in return. That may not be enough.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
LTH":1ssxggst said:

Just my take..

LTH

LOL sorry I had to laugh at this. So by your "logic" Tom Brady was also coached up as he was only a sixth rounder. What about the rest of our other players like Sherman and Chancellor, that means that they were trained up as well. If that is the case then any of our guys should be easily replaced and we should have the next man up correct?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I thought it was unfair of Wilson to compare what is happening in these contract negotiations to what happened to him at North Carolina State, saying he has been "moved around before. I loved N.C. State and loved playing there and then having to go somewhere else and start new." No one is pushing Wilson out.

If the reports are even somewhat accurate, the team is trying to make him one of the most highly paid athletes on the planet. This is the team that took a chance on him and supported him with one of the best defenses in NFL history.

Apparently, he wants these negotiations to be "private," only to the extent that his asking price is not made public. When in reality, his asking price is what could hurt the team and push out other players if it is not reasonable.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":1gxvo7r5 said:
"Wilson finished thjis last collegiate season with 33 passing touchdowns, which set the single season record at Wisconsin and was the second-most in Big Ten history behind Drew Brees during the 1998 season at Purdue (39).[47] Wilson also set the single season FBS record for passing efficiency (191.8)"

Wilson had first round talent but lacked the height that all teams are looking for, that is the only reason he was a third rounder. If he was 6'5" Wilson most likely would have been drafted in the top 3 with Luck and Griffin.

Now for trades there really is no trade that is even close to realistic and worth it unless you get another top 10 QB in return. That may not be enough.
Didn't I already point out that the only trade of the level this question is posing was Brees and Rivers? Good luck with finding another quarterback that fulfills what Wilson does for us without completely retooling the team.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":1iuunlkg said:
i too own a rw3 jersey. i too want rw3 to retire a hawk. i too hope something gets done, somehow, just so long as it doesnt sabotage the rest of the team. but what i think people are seeing now is that rw3 does not necessarily care about wins or seattle as much as we had thought. it does seem it comes down to money and ego (highest paid player) with him. sacrifices can and would be made for rw3. but...

... wilson is not the best qb in the league, and therefore does not deserve #1 money. will he get it? maybe. but probably not from the hawks. john/pete have a good idea of what a player is worth. rw3 may be the #3 after rodgers, brady, but i wouldnt go that far even simply because of his deficiencies that he has to try to make up for. he holds the ball too long and isnt decisive enough all the time. there are timing routes that he simply doesnt hit and does not try to throw open the receiver. he has serious trouble throwing consistently from the pocket, and the oline, as bad as it already is pass blocking, never knows where wilson is at. hes under duress a bunch of time at fault of his own.

so if wilson is saying that he wants to be the highest paid qb in the league, it is either good posturing, or he really is all about a personal agenda. sure, let him take the most money somebody will give him... i have no problem with that... a team like the chargers or browns for example. do u think he is good enough on his own to take those current rosters to the playoffs, let alone the superbowl? c'mon man... its unfortunate but what it sounds like (and again, we dont really know for sure) is that he wants to be the highest paid player in the league. if thats the case, he can go get overpaid and lose consistently the next 6+ seasons.

MizzouHawkGal":1iuunlkg said:
You don't trade a quarterback of Wilson's level.

whos to say? i think its actually fair speculation at this point, this thread being valid and viable considering the present circumstances.

do you think pete and john follow the league model, or always do whats popular? i think we know enough now that nothing is off the table for pete and john. if u were to give them 2 1st rd picks for wilson and his potential cap space, im sure they could manuever more than enough to find a suitable replacement, or atleast i wouldnt put it past them. it was john after all that picked rw in the first place [emoji14] i think with the philosophy in place and the team theyve assembled u could put a guy like romo or rivers or matt ryan or flacco in place (guys that are 2nd/3rd tier qbs) and be atleast just as productive from the qb position if not even moreso.
Had to skip over most of the post when I started seeing 'rw3.' That's uncool and unoriginal. A simple RW will suffice if you are economizing.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":1fw94ts6 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1fw94ts6 said:
Point is he won't lose.

oooooooook .... hahhaha :roll:

He's not Cam Newton he's got that special something Joe Montana had. It's something not definable by statistics but it's easy to see by anyone that looks beyond the numbers. He just wins and now he's starting to get actual weapons.

i get it, hes clutch. hes can buy time like no other qb in the league. he can run and get 1st downs. so no argument from me, i already know. but saying hes "joe montana clutch" at this point is just homerism

Imagine having nothing but walk on receivers and a crap OL yet winning a Superbowl and by all rights a second with basically junior varsity wide receivers.

no, the recievers certainly have been mediocre. anybody that follows the hawks should recognize that.

but i guess having the far and away best running game and defense the last 3 years had nothing to do with the last few seasons. "walk on" baldwin is a top 20 wideout in this league btw.

Ricardo Lockette? Get real now.

whos arguing about lockette with you? nobody.

---

anyway, youre contradicting yourself hahaha. you sit here and say "he won't lose" if he goes to another team, but then u criticize (atleast parts of) the hawks roster... which happens to be the best/deepest roster in the nfl, and takes so much pressure of wilson to have to do anything. now u put him on a browns team with a $25m/ year cap hit, and u think he will pick up where he left off in wins/losses? :roll:

please, this thread obviously isnt your strong suit. go back to waiting for the regular season
I really wish people would stop trying to turn this place into a forum version of Madden.