What could Russell Wilson realistically fetch in a trade?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
LTH":1f1f1wla said:
I dont have a problem with letting Wilson play out his contract and then trading him...I dont think he is worth the price tag he demands... The Seahawks are a defensive team first and then a running team... trying to plug in a QB that can do what wilson does is not imposible... I know there are a lot of people that will think I am stupid but I just feel that if you look at Wilsons production that Carroll and JS can find another guy to come in and do the same thing....

If the hawks trade him for a High first round draft pick and then trade down in the draft to gain more picks they can find another QB to develope... The mistake they made was not developing some one behind Wilson the depth at QB is horrible and thats on Carroll... QB is no different than any other position its just that all of you guys are emotionally involved... and that makes situations like this hard...

just my take...

LTH
Yyyyyyyeah, Pete will go right back to the results he had with other NFL teams... known for defense, but never much better than 8-8 once his roster was settled...but hey, at least he had a team full of 'tough guys.'[emoji8]

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3fvvuags said:
LTH":3fvvuags said:
I dont have a problem with letting Wilson play out his contract and then trading him...I dont think he is worth the price tag he demands... The Seahawks are a defensive team first and then a running team... trying to plug in a QB that can do what wilson does is not imposible... I know there are a lot of people that will think I am stupid but I just feel that if you look at Wilsons production that Carroll and JS can find another guy to come in and do the same thing....

If the hawks trade him for a High first round draft pick and then trade down in the draft to gain more picks they can find another QB to develope... The mistake they made was not developing some one behind Wilson the depth at QB is horrible and thats on Carroll... QB is no different than any other position its just that all of you guys are emotionally involved... and that makes situations like this hard...

just my take...

LTH
Yyyyyyyeah, Pete will go right back to the results he had with other NFL teams... known for defense, but never much better than 8-8 once his roster was settled...but hey, at least he had a team full of 'tough guys.'[emoji8]
Good point. Before Wilson he was dead average (Jeff Fisher like even) after Wilson he's 36-12 with a Superbowl win and by all rights should be a back to back Superbowl winner.

Methinks this argument doesn't hold up.. I wonder if Wilson might actually make him look competent offensively. ...hmm.

garrylt4

Reaction score
If it is 1st round picks I'd want 3 because they will be at the bottom of the first round because Wilson will get whoever into the playoffs.

I'll take 3 #1s or 2 #1s and JJ Watt.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
garrylt4":4hxo5sau said:
If it is 1st round picks I'd want 3 because they will be at the bottom of the first round because Wilson will get whoever into the playoffs.

I'll take 3 #1s or 2 #1s and JJ Watt.
Until Houston actually gets a quarterback their ceiling is 10-6 but more likely 9-7 outside looking in, Watt or no Watt.

Care to hazard a guess why? Tick Tock....hurry the clock is running. The strange thing about defense is that it will keep you in games and you'll win 7-9 games but to win 10-12 games you better have a quarterback that's not league average. Unless you've Trent Differ with the moder era's best defense no question asked

If you don't have that rare combination you'd better have Russell Wilson around to win those 12 games and perform at a high level, if you expect to win postseason games.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2j4uyspm said:
HawKnPeppa":2j4uyspm said:
LTH":2j4uyspm said:

just my take...

LTH
Good point. Before Wilson he was dead average (Jeff Fisher like even) after Wilson he's 36-12 with a Superbowl win and by all rights should be a back to back Superbowl winner.

Methinks this argument doesn't hold up.. I wonder if Wilson might actually make him look competent offensively. ...hmm.

That ridiculous argument only works by doing two things: (1) blindly ignoring Carroll's dominance at USC -- two national championships, six BCS bowl wins, seven-consecutive conference championships, record 33 consecutive weeks at No. 1, and 103-consecutive games without losing by double digits.

And (2) you would have to be completely ignorant of the radical transformation Carroll made of the Seahawks, pre-Russell Wilson, taking a team that was one of the most dysfunctional and least talented in the league, and in two seasons, crafting one of the most dominant defenses in NFL history. The Seahawks current streak of 64 games without losing by double digits actually began on November 13, 2011, during Carroll's 2nd season as coach. We were beginning to see signs of a competitive team before Carroll drafted Wilson.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1xim9gys said:
HawKnPeppa":1xim9gys said:
LTH":1xim9gys said:

just my take...

LTH

You're completely ignoring the fact that Carroll had little control of talent acquisition on his previous teams. If the respective teams GM drafted a Percy Harvin type, he was stuck with that player. He had a lot of restraints put on him as a head coach. He only wanted to come back to the NFL if he was in charge of personnel, as well as the head coaching duties.

He also under went a change in college, he crafted his philosophy and got to know himself better as a coach. The Pete Carroll on the Seahawks has more autonomy, and vision than his younger self on the Jets and Patriots. Saying Wilson is the ONLY reason why he looks competent is contrived and disingenuous.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1tku4k2w said:
EntiatHawk":1tku4k2w said:
"Wilson finished thjis last collegiate season with 33 passing touchdowns, which set the single season record at Wisconsin and was the second-most in Big Ten history behind Drew Brees during the 1998 season at Purdue (39).[47] Wilson also set the single season FBS record for passing efficiency (191.8)"

Wilson had first round talent but lacked the height that all teams are looking for, that is the only reason he was a third rounder. If he was 6'5" Wilson most likely would have been drafted in the top 3 with Luck and Griffin.

Now for trades there really is no trade that is even close to realistic and worth it unless you get another top 10 QB in return. That may not be enough.
Didn't I already point out that the only trade of the level this question is posing was Brees and Rivers? Good luck with finding another quarterback that fulfills what Wilson does for us without completely retooling the team.

I was only pointing out that Wilson college career was pretty darn good and if he was taller where he was drafted would be completely different.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Two first round picks. If we franchise him and he gets signed to an offer sheet we could get two first round picks. Realistically that is about the only way I see any trade going down. At that point we get to consider the contact we would have to match and also depending on the team estimate where in round 1 those picks will be at. If NYJ or Buffalo wanted Wilson I think he would take both too the playoffs and we be looking at two late round 1st's if he went to Jacksonville or Cleveland I think we would be getting 2 mid first rounnders.

Wilson is clucht, a leader, and a winner, but talent wise Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Aarons Rodgers, and Ben Rothlisberger are more talented and could all perform surrounded by this team.

I want to keep Wilson and would be OK if he got paid more than Newton but I'd understand not sacrificing our salary cap to overpay Wilson.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1w4co7vb said:
Two first round picks. If we franchise him and he gets signed to an offer sheet we could get two first round picks. Realistically that is about the only way I see any trade going down. At that point we get to consider the contact we would have to match and also depending on the team estimate where in round 1 those picks will be at. If NYJ or Buffalo wanted Wilson I think he would take both too the playoffs and we be looking at two late round 1st's if he went to Jacksonville or Cleveland I think we would be getting 2 mid first rounnders.

Wilson is clucht, a leader, and a winner, but talent wise Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Aarons Rodgers, and Ben Rothlisberger are more talented and could all perform surrounded by this team.

I want to keep Wilson and would be OK if he got paid more than Newton but I'd understand not sacrificing our salary cap to overpay Wilson.
By what measure TALENT WISE is Ryan, Stafford, Newton, Luck or.Big Ben more Talented? We saw Wilson throw 50+ yards moving laterally and backwards to hit receivers. We saw him hang in the pocket to complete clutch 3rd-and-forever then shake off hits. We saw him shake off a crushing blindside hit from Clay Matthews as well as direct hit from Watt that bloodied Watt ' s nose. Wilson is not only more elusive but possibly tougher than all those mentioned.

On top of this his arm strength is underrated BECAUSE he throws with touch so well. I can't think of any player who had thrown as many LUCKY PASSES as opponents like to describe them. Passes where he is falling down and flicks it for a completion or where he scrambles then hits his receiver with a perfect strike while running. He also throws a great seam pass for a SHORT quarterback.

His baseball skills (awareness/quick thinking, wrist flick passes, speed) gives him an edge over almost all these guys. Because he doesn't force his fastball means he's probably wiser not that he doesn't have the arm talent of those guys.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Well we know Seattle can get at least 2 number one picks via franchise tag compensation. The real question is do you trust that Pete and John can find another QB as good or better than Wilson. I believe they can but I'd be surprised to say the least if Wilson doesn't sign this off season.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":n36ioecs said:
Well we know Seattle can get at least 2 number one picks via franchise tag compensation. The real question is do you trust that Pete and John can find another QB as good or better than Wilson. I believe they can but I'd be surprised to say the least if Wilson doesn't sign this off season.
So just so I have this straight... You're saying we'd get a quarterback that was in fact the best of the best in 2011 when allowed to do what Luck does? And Luck is his contemporary?

You know about Buffalo, Cleveland and Houston right?

Ambrose83

Reaction score
LTH":uz6h6smg said:

just my take...

LTH

THANKFULLY THIS KIND OF GENIUS IS NOT RUNNING THE HAWKS, we trade RW, we will suck.... end of story.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
vonstout":1byt8lvi said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/28/a-trade-is-also-possible-for-russell-wilson/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

I'd consider trading him after this year if we could get what he suggests in the article, even if we don't get a Qb in return. 3 firsts with any team would give us enough to move up to get Cardale Jones.

I know the article says this scenario is extremely unlikely at the outset, but I think even that is an overstatement.

Agreeing to that type of trade if the exclusive is applied doesn't make sense for Wilson or the trade partner (they wouldn't do it without a long-term deal in place, and why would Wilson sign a long-term deal to get it done if the whole point of this is that he wants to test the market before signing a long-term deal).

For something like this to happen it would have to make sense for all three parties (the sending team, receiving team, and Wilson), and it only makes sense for the sending team (the Seahawks), if it even makes sense for them at all.

What the Seahawks could get for Wilson in "trade" next year starts and ends with two first round picks, and that's not even a trade. He signs, he plays on the franchise, he's let go for two 1sts, or he's allowed to walk. Those are the only four options (in descending order of likelihood IMO. with the last one not even really counting; so really, three options).

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I think this negotiation process has made Wilson an unattractive trade piece.

The Rams essentially only got 2 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick from the Skins in the RG3 deal (we swapped 1st round picks that year). They thought RG3 was a sure thing, and his salary was going to extremely manageable for 4-5 years.

Imagine you're a team interested in trading for Wilson; aside from trading away a bevy of picks (Let's just say two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick), you will have to pay Wilson whatever he wants - because you wouldn't want to trade for him and have there be even a chance he could opt to hit FA next year.

You could try to have a deal in place beforehand, but that doesn't often happen in the NFL.

I don't think any team would trade for him unless the Hawks asking price came way down.

And I'd be willing to bet that the Texans wouldn't even trade Watt for Wilson straight up.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Ramfan128":30q7b2kp said:
And I'd be willing to bet that the Texans wouldn't even trade Watt for Wilson straight up.

To be honest, I doubt they would too. Watt is just as impactful on the defensive side, and they get him at $9 million less per year than Wilson would probably demand in exchange for going to a Watt-less Houston. I wouldn't trade Thomas and Chancellor for Wilson either, and Wilson's salary will likely dwarf those two future HoFer's combined salaries. Wilson= Thomas + Chancellor + $9 million in salary cap? No thanks.

chris98251

Reaction score
They could keep Wilson and pay him, trade Sherman, Kam, and another piece to balance the books if they think our depth is good.