What could Russell Wilson realistically fetch in a trade?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
IMO the trade(s) that COULD be best for the Seahawks wouldn't include RW. A couple of good candidates for trade this year are Michael Bennett & Bruce Irvin. (Note that in both cases, the Seahawks have potential replacements already on the roster). Nearly 11-million in cap space COULD be produced + a couple (or more) early/mid round draft picks will help in the next draft to find even more "replacements" for starters/backups with the then more appropriate low budget impact draft picks.

--Bennett is being a real poor teammate and it's gotten old already. He obviously doesn't want to play for what he agreed to contract wise just last year. That and his many offside penalties, his constant whiny attitude that should get him traded to a bottom feeder team, may be best for him & the Seahawks. He's actually pretty good but NOT irreplaceable, Bye bye.
--R. Lockette (the real reason for the SB loss) has displayed, over his career so far, that he is very emotional and a hot head. His special teams contributions are overblown and he is certainly not even an average WR in spite of his many physical gifts. Bye bye.

Per: http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks
$8,000,000. = DT/DE-Michael Bennett, --------------TRADE for RD-1/2/3 draft pick?
$2,895,542. = OLB-Bruce Irvin, ---------------TRADE for RD-2/3 draft pick?
----Nearly 11-million in cap space that could be used to finance RW's extension.

Additional possible cap money savings thru cuts of lesser players:
$1,000,000. = OLB-Michael Morgan, CUT? (Hardly plays other than special teams, seldom hear his name.)
$ 785,000. = DT-Greg Scruggs, CUT? (Injuries+, hardly ever seen field, potential but can't stay healthy.)
$ 665,000. = FB-Will Tukuafu, CUT? (FB competition loser)
$ 510,000. = TE-RaShaun Allen, CUT? (TE competition loser)
$ 660,000. = WR-Ricardo Lockett, CUT? (WR competition loser)
---- $3,620,000. in cap space just from these cuts.

Personally, I think that RW is more valuable than all of the above players and by trading and cuts, COULD make enough cap space to sign RW to a long term deal that the team can live with. The reality of the above is that without RW, my favorite team would meltdown and be lucky to win 8-10 games. Anyone else remember the game a few years back (might have been a preseason game) when on 4-th down with seconds to go, T-Jack just throws the damn ball well out of bounds to lose the game? He doesn't seem to have much in the way of football (or any other) IQ.

My RW contract "GUESS" (and that's all ANYONE can do is guess) that I would like to see is: RW for 6-years @ 22.5-million/year avg. 135-million total with 54-million (40%) guaranteed and a decent large signing bonus to spread over the 6 years to help the annual cap management. I would also like a couple of years of team option at the end.
Trade away the golden goose? No way, Go Hawks:

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Well this thread went completely off the rails.. so that's neat.

Giblien

Reaction score
I honestly can't imagine a scenario where I would be ok with it. I think that given:
The rarity of a quality QB x The likely length of his career left x the importance of the QB position x His unique skills x his pristine off the field character x his track record = The single best player in the NFL. Period.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Does Russell Wilson need the Seahawks' balanced offensive attack to be successful?

If Wilson were to head to another system, he may look a lot different and may be utilized in a more traditional manner. His new team would potentially ask him to make a different repertoire of throws. His new team would potentially limit him to the pocket more, ask him to make quicker throws or utilize play action or bootlegs less frequently. It's tough to tell you how he'd fare in these types of systems, but it's worth pointing out that, as Wilson said prior to getting drafted by the Seahawks:

"I played in a West Coast offense at N.C. State and had to transfer to a great new team in Wisconsin and learn a whole new system, a vertical, play-action-style offense."

He learned this system in a matter of weeks, then went on to have the most efficient season in college football history.

Looking at Wilson's passing stats in that NC State West Coast offense as compared to Wisconsin's run-based, vertical play-action scheme, you may know why the Seahawks liked him for their system so much.

TiSZosx

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/6/30/8 ... 1435476300

ihawk

Reaction score
I for one enjoy this hypothetical. I'm assuming this is a trade that happens this year for simplicity. Problem is, I think you have to get a QB in return. I love TJack but this window is so primed right now you have to get somebody under center who can realistically get us to SB50.
So you look at teams where RW would be an upgrade or new long term foundation for them, and you have to decide if their QB - and HIS contract - are even worth bringing in. Basically trying to end up with a better long term cap situation knowing that we'd be downgrading at QB plus netting some picks.
You also have to assume that a team isn't going to trade away a QB with a huge dead money hit just for the privilege of awarding yet another huge QB contract, so players like Romo, Ryan, and Flacco are out (at least for another year or two).
You're not going to trade for someone like Eli because he's also going to be looking for a top QB contract when his current contract is up after this year.
So maybe shoot for a lower value vet. Foles and Bradford have no dead money impacts to their teams. Sanchez doesn't have much of a hit. But (a) I'm not giving RW to NFCW team, and (b) I don't think Bradford or Sanchez take us to a SB no matter what defense and running game we surround them with.
I think that pretty much kills the idea of trading for any vet QB. So now maybe you look at QBs on their rookie deals that have time left. Do you make a play for Carr, Winston, Marriota, or even Grayson -- basically exchanging a proven commodity for an less proven one? What kind of picks could you realistically expect to come along with that?

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
ihawk":3jzash3j said:
I for one enjoy this hypothetical. I'm assuming this is a trade that happens this year for simplicity. Problem is, I think you have to get a QB in return. I love TJack but this window is so primed right now you have to get somebody under center who can realistically get us to SB50.
So you look at teams where RW would be an upgrade or new long term foundation for them, and you have to decide if their QB - and HIS contract - are even worth bringing in. Basically trying to end up with a better long term cap situation knowing that we'd be downgrading at QB plus netting some picks.
You also have to assume that a team isn't going to trade away a QB with a huge dead money hit just for the privilege of awarding yet another huge QB contract, so players like Romo, Ryan, and Flacco are out (at least for another year or two).
You're not going to trade for someone like Eli because he's also going to be looking for a top QB contract when his current contract is up after this year.
So maybe shoot for a lower value vet. Foles and Bradford have no dead money impacts to their teams. Sanchez doesn't have much of a hit. But (a) I'm not giving RW to NFCW team, and (b) I don't think Bradford or Sanchez take us to a SB no matter what defense and running game we surround them with.
I think that pretty much kills the idea of trading for any vet QB. So now maybe you look at QBs on their rookie deals that have time left. Do you make a play for Carr, Winston, Marriota, or even Grayson -- basically exchanging a proven commodity for an less proven one? What kind of picks could you realistically expect to come along with that?

Asking for a young QB as part of the trade makes sense. What about a guy like Bryce Petty plus the Jets 2016 and 2017 first round picks, and 2016 second round picks?

Not that I want this to happen. I want the Hawks to sign Wilson to a 3 or 4 year contract for around 21-22 million a year. I'm a little hesitant about giving him a longer 5 to 6 year contract because we don't know how great a QB Wilson will be once his running threat diminishes as he ages.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is simply another hypothetical question b/c the likelihood of the team actively trading RW seems manifestly unlikely.

I'd say two firsts would be the compensation if forced to answer, but think the team would be worse off by making the trade.

Boycie

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":14k8cepg said:
EntiatHawk":14k8cepg said:
"Wilson finished thjis last collegiate season with 33 passing touchdowns, which set the single season record at Wisconsin and was the second-most in Big Ten history behind Drew Brees during the 1998 season at Purdue (39).[47] Wilson also set the single season FBS record for passing efficiency (191.8)"

Wilson had first round talent but lacked the height that all teams are looking for, that is the only reason he was a third rounder. If he was 6'5" Wilson most likely would have been drafted in the top 3 with Luck and Griffin.

Now for trades there really is no trade that is even close to realistic and worth it unless you get another top 10 QB in return. That may not be enough.
Didn't I already point out that the only trade of the level this question is posing was Brees and Rivers? Good luck with finding another quarterback that fulfills what Wilson does for us without completely retooling the team.

If they traded RW, they would have to re vamp the already shoddy O-Line as well. What a lot of people do not realize is that RW evades the rush unlike no other QB in the league. This gives the FO the luxury of not overpaying, or sacrificing high draft picks to fill out their O-Line IE: Dallas, thus giving them the luxury of spending $$, and high picks on other needs.

I am kind of in the middle when it comes to this the topic of "is RW worth 25 mil per year." I am a huge fan of his, and I constantly tell my 15 year old athlete to mirror his character, but I still do not believe that he is worth more than Rodgers. I think $20-$22 mil per year is right where he should be.

Now to answer the question of what could the FO get for a RW trade, I do not think we could honestly get fair value, because finding a starting QB who has done what RW has, is near impossible.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
1 ham and cheese sammich, 1 Peanut Butter and Jelly Sammich, 1 bag of doritoes extreme cheese, and 1 Chocolate chip cookie. Oh, and a glass of milk.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

AVL

Reaction score
Stop the trade! The real glitch in the talks is Wilson's demands for a new offensive coordinator.

That's my pipe dream.

Chawker

Reaction score
This is the real hard part about finding a quality QB like Wilson, if you pay him what he is worth, then you end up with a team of lesser talented players. (over time) And "if" we deal him away, we'll never get full value for him.
OK, the question on the table is "what value can we expect to get out of Wilson in a trade scenario"?
1. a reansonable repleacement at his position
2. draft picks: a 1st, if not 2 first rounders or a first, second and third round picks spread out over two years.
3. Plus the right to detain or kidnap him for 24 hours if he ever steps foot in king Co. again.

Chawker

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":14mjfu9g said:
1 ham and cheese sammich, 1 Peanut Butter and Jelly Sammich, 1 bag of doritoes extreme cheese, and 1 Chocolate chip cookie. Oh, and a glass of milk.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

DUDE! We want the Colonels secret receipe for his chicken plus a his coleslaw.