What happens with ET3?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":20q5woh1 said:
Sports Hernia":20q5woh1 said:
NJlargent":20q5woh1 said:
Seymour":20q5woh1 said:
Notice Sea proposed means they aren't just "listening", they are doing the initiating. Earl is gone IMO.

He’s not staying with Sherm and Kam being done. He’s gone.
If they trade Earl so are their playoff chances for the next 4-5 years.
If you trade Earl you might as well trade Wags too. If you are going young on defense, do it, and get the most for your biggest chip while his value is at its highest, and you get rid of one of your biggest upcoming contracts in the process, plus you’d speed up the rebuild on both sides of the ball tremendously.

Why does it have to be either or?

Why can't you build another defense with Earl and Bobby? It's about who you want in your long range plans, and both Earl and Bobby can still play at a high level for another 3-4 years.

So if we can fit them under the cap with extensions this year and next, it makes sense to have them as your cornerstone defensive players and build around them.

I also thin Earl is gone, because he wants 15M a year, and unless it's a short term 1-2 year deal, no way John and Pete give him another 4-5 year monster deal with an escalating salary STARTING at 15M.

I don't think Earl will be gone. They'll get a deal done with Earl that will work for us, but of course we won't know which of us will be right until the deal is actually done, but I do agree that we can and should build around Earl and Bobby. I've felt since Earl first got here that he was the guy this defense was built around. With him and Bobby roaming the middle of the field, and each of their ability to cover so much of the field and their knowledge of the game, we can afford to bring in younger, hungrier players around them. If we were to be rid of these two guys, our defense would likely fall into the bottom half of the league. With Bobby and Earl (healthy of course), I still see this as a top 10 ish defense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":2q5bqepr said:
I don't think Earl will be gone. They'll get a deal done with Earl that will work for us, but of course we won't know which of us will be right until the deal is actually done, but I do agree that we can and should build around Earl and Bobby. I've felt since Earl first got here that he was the guy this defense was built around. With him and Bobby roaming the middle of the field, and each of their ability to cover so much of the field and their knowledge of the game, we can afford to bring in younger, hungrier players around them. If we were to be rid of these two guys, our defense would likely fall into the bottom half of the league. With Bobby and Earl (healthy of course), I still see this as a top 10 ish defense.

I hope you're right, but I could see Earl playing hardball and us not giving in, with so many other holes to still fill all over the roster.

Especially if he's super pissed that all his buddies are being traded or cut, and he knows he can holdout, come back and play well................then get some of this crazy Monopoly money being throw around next year if he hits free agency.

And unfortunately he's right, he could absolutely get 15M+ next year if he stays healthy in 2018.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Earl is more important to this team than Wilson.

Trading Earl essentially closes the curtain. Our entire defense hinges on him and Kam. Removing them? Look at our record when they were not there. Then when they were.

We will have stripped the defense bare, replaced it with average replacements and we will be going into the season without much defense, no run game and a QB that struggles until the 2nd half. Not a recipe for success.

More importantly, somehow we decided that not only should we be shedding our stars - but we are going to be doing it in a way that literally improves the other teams in the NFC that we will need to compete with. At least we won't be trading him within the division but making the 49ers, Cowboys, and Eagles better doesn't seem like it helps us.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":33frgh2e said:
Earl is more important to this team than Wilson.

Trading Earl essentially closes the curtain. Our entire defense hinges on him and Kam. Removing them? Look at our record when they were not there. Then when they were.

We will have stripped the defense bare, replaced it with average replacements and we will be going into the season without much defense, no run game and a QB that struggles until the 2nd half. Not a recipe for success.

More importantly, somehow we decided that not only should we be shedding our stars - but we are going to be doing it in a way that literally improves the other teams in the NFC that we will need to compete with. At least we won't be trading him within the division but making the 49ers, Cowboys, and Eagles better doesn't seem like it helps us.

get outta here with that nonsense.

We weren't the same team without Earl cause we were replacing him with back up scrubs. You get a solid player in there the defense doesn't perform to the same level but it can be solid. You can't replace earl but you can do better than we have. You take away Russ and you've got no run game and no mobile qb with that oline, you're in trouble. Unless you're replacing Russ with Cam Newton or someting, somebody with a similar Russ skillset

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Report out of Dallas that Boys want ET3 and hawks want their first round. Let's do It!!!!

Seymour

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1m170393 said:
Report out of Dallas that Boys want ET3 and hawks want their first round. Let's do It!!!!

They pick 19th....I'd take a 2nd +, but a first is not out of the question for Earl IMO.

massari

Reaction score
If Jimmy Graham cost a 1st+Max Unger, then ET should be at least a 1st. Right?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1b697oqj said:
Cyrus12":1b697oqj said:

They pick 19th....I'd take a 2nd +, but a first is not out of the question for Earl IMO.

I think 2nd is more realistic.

Last year Earl is worth a high to mid-round 1st, two years left on his deal and in good health. Now Dallas is looking at the risk of Earl's health AND trying to negotiate a long term deal with him. IMO that lowers his value.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":234pffej said:
Seymour":234pffej said:
Cyrus12":234pffej said:

Last year Earl is worth a high to mid-round 1st, two years left on his deal and in good health. Now Dallas is looking at the risk of Earl's health AND trying to negotiate a long term deal with him. IMO that lowers his value.

I think they still get the first, any trade would likely go down knowing Earls agreed in principle to an extension number. He's already talked about holding out so nobody wants to chance that they trade for a year of nothing or that he could walk for nothing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
flmmkrz":3tijv5ca said:
Sgt. Largent":3tijv5ca said:
Seymour":3tijv5ca said:
Cyrus12":3tijv5ca said:

I think they still get the first, any trade would likely go down knowing Earls agreed in principle to an extension number. He's already talked about holding out so nobody wants to chance that they trade for a year of nothing or that he could walk for nothing.

Dallas has all of $608,000 of cap space right now, by FAR the least amount of cap in the entire league.

So not sure how you think they'll give up a 1st with Earl's injury history AND come up with a way to pay him what he wants, which is 15M+ on a long term deal.

Something would have to give for Dallas, they'd have to cut high priced player(s) in order to open up the cap needed to sign Earl to a long term deal..............and that something is the Hawk's taking less than a 1st.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wx44bgt said:
flmmkrz":2wx44bgt said:
Sgt. Largent":2wx44bgt said:
Seymour":2wx44bgt said:

Dallas has all of $608,000 of cap space right now, by FAR the least amount of cap in the entire league.

So not sure how you think they'll give up a 1st with Earl's injury history AND come up with a way to pay him what he wants, which is 15M+ on a long term deal.

Something would have to give for Dallas, they'd have to cut high priced player(s) in order to open up the cap needed to sign Earl to a long term deal..............and that something is the Hawk's taking less than a 1st.

and I'm sure that's the load that the cowboys will try to spin but Earls value is more than that, and if they're offering a 2nd don't be surprised if other teams jump into the fray and drive the market up. In the end I think he attracts a 1st or a very high 2nd, not a mid to late 2nd.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
A bit of wishful thinking on here. Few teams are going to trade a high 2018 draft pick (e.g., first round) for one year of Earl unless they can also work out/agree on a contract extension with Earl before they consummate the trade (only the Hawks front office appears to be short-sighted enough to trade high round picks for players they might only be able to retain for one year - see Richardson, Sheldon). And Earl is only going to agree to a contract extension pre-trade with a team he wants to play for, like the Cowboys. If Earl doesn't want to negotiate a contract extension with the Browns or whoever because he doesn't want to play for those teams, then those teams are not potential trade partners for Earl who can drive up his trade market value. It could just end up being the Cowboys as a potential trade partner. Hopefully I'm wrong and there are several teams Earl is willing to play for if the money is good enough.

Hotchy

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade Earl. He hasn't lost a step and you can have a longer career playing S. So he's got time left, and he's a known quantity(talent).
I ONLY trade him if he doesn't want to be here, or management thinks they can't work come to terms on a new contract.
As for Dallas, I'd definitely go for it and trade that #1. As far as cap, i think moving Dez would be their answer.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2tnnqibw said:

I'm really glad you're not our GM.

RussB

Reaction score
Earl is one of my favorite players. But if they can get an early first rounder for him, it would be worth it. Then just draft Derwin james or minkah fitzpatrick.

edogg23

Reaction score
Earl has put the Seahawks in a tough spot. He pulls the stunt with going into the Dallas locker room. He states in an interview he doesn't see himself playing out the last year of his contract with the hawks which implies he is going to hold out.
How should any of this behavior result in the Seahawks wanting to give him an extension? Don't get me wrong I am a huge ET fan but people forget that he wasn't very good in 2016, he only had 24 tackles in 11 games. And realistically the days of expecting him to play every game in the season are probably behind him. Yet he wants to be the highest paid safety in the league. 2013 ET is worth that, 2019 ET is not.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
edogg23":llr5hjil said:
Earl has put the Seahawks in a tough spot. He pulls the stunt with going into the Dallas locker room. He states in an interview he doesn't see himself playing out the last year of his contract with the hawks which implies he is going to hold out.
How should any of this behavior result in the Seahawks wanting to give him an extension? Don't get me wrong I am a huge ET fan but people forget that he wasn't very good in 2016, he only had 24 tackles in 11 games. And realistically the days of expecting him to play every game in the season are probably behind him. Yet he wants to be the highest paid safety in the league. 2013 ET is worth that, 2019 ET is not.

This is a very important point.

By Earl going public telling everyone he wants to play for the Cowboys greatly diminishes our leverage with trade partners.

It's like what Griffey did by telling the M's he only wanted to be traded to the Reds. That meant the Reds didn't have to offer as much back because they knew they had no competition.

Same thing here, the Cowboys know they don't have to offer much because they can get Earl next year without trading anything. Thus why I'm saying 2nd rounder at best...............and if we're not going to extend Earl, then take the 2nd.