What happens with ET3?

Seymour

Reaction score
edogg23":10ssf648 said:
Earl has put the Seahawks in a tough spot. He pulls the stunt with going into the Dallas locker room. He states in an interview he doesn't see himself playing out the last year of his contract with the hawks which implies he is going to hold out.
How should any of this behavior result in the Seahawks wanting to give him an extension? Don't get me wrong I am a huge ET fan but people forget that he wasn't very good in 2016, he only had 24 tackles in 11 games. And realistically the days of expecting him to play every game in the season are probably behind him. Yet he wants to be the highest paid safety in the league. 2013 ET is worth that, 2019 ET is not.

Agree....but.

You forgot something. Earl also tweeted considering retirement after his first major injury. :roll:

How do you commit to a guy that commits loyalty and desire to nothing other than $$$$$?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":n7vwfjl2 said:
How do you commit to a guy that commits loyalty and desire to nothing other than $$$$$?

I don't think this is true, Earl's just an extremely emotionally volatile person............kinda a manic depressive type. Lots of high highs, and when he's low, he's REALLY low. Immature as well.

Which is where that Tweet came from after he broke his leg.

I'm torn on Earl. I love him as a player, and I'd like him to be here during this defensive re-build, because no Earl is pretty damn scary. But on the other hand I ain't paying him 15M+ for 3-4 more years with the way he recklessly plays the game. If we do that we're in another Kam situation in 1-2 years.

So perfect scenario for me is he accepts a 1-2 year extension at a reasonable amount. 10-12M in year one, and team option for more in year two if he stays healthy and productive.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2cfjl2df said:
Seymour":2cfjl2df said:

I don't think this is true, Earl's just an extremely emotionally volatile person............kinda a manic depressive type. Lots of high highs, and when he's low, he's REALLY low. Immature as well.

Which is where that Tweet came from after he broke his leg.

I'm torn on Earl. I love him as a player, and I'd like him to be here during this defensive re-build, because no Earl is pretty damn scary. But on the other hand I ain't paying him 15M+ for 3-4 more years with the way he recklessly plays the game. If we do that we're in another Kam situation in 1-2 years.

So perfect scenario for me is he accepts a 1-2 year extension at a reasonable amount. 10-12M in year one, and team option for more in year two if he stays healthy and productive.

You may as well whip it out and pee all over his shoes rather than make that offer.

100% guarantee he is laughing that offer right off the table.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Earl is currently here on an $8.5 million contract for next season.

Any deal we do will extend it past that, so I'd assume we'd add 2 years minimum making it a 3 year deal. His signing bonus dead money from his previous contract is $1.9 million. Right now his $8.5 isn't guaranteed, so we could structure a deal like this....

2018 - $12 million signing bonus / $1 million base salary

2019 - $10 million in base salary with certain incentives bringing it up to $13 million

2020 - $12 million in base with incentives that bring it up to $16 million

That would be a $42 million 3 year deal (or $14 million per year) if he needs more total, we could add some to the incentives, because if he's playing at a pro-bowl level, he's worth it.

His cap figures would be

2018 - $6.9 million (saving us $3.5 million)

2019 - $14 -17 million depending on incentives made ($ 8 million in dead cap if he's cut)

2020 - $16 - 20 million with a $4 million hit if he's cut.

This gets him the monies he wants with a significant raise this year, and raises each year to follow, and allows us an out that doesn't break the bank after year one.

It will be interesting to see the structure of his next contract (assuming he's renewed), but I have been generally happy with most contract structures we've done

NJlargent

Reaction score
Lots of good stuff in this thread. However, I simply do not see how Earl could stay here. The Dallas stint to me very clearly indicates that he isn’t buying in and there are other issues going on. I would be surprised if a deal with Dallas doesn’t happen in the next few days. And I don’t think that that is part of a rebuild or a commitment to get younger I think it’s simply a product of Earl wanting to go. I just have a hunch.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NJlargent":2zcq38au said:
Lots of good stuff in this thread. However, I simply do not see how Earl could stay here. The Dallas stint to me very clearly indicates that he isn’t buying in and there are other issues going on. I would be surprised if a deal with Dallas doesn’t happen in the next few days. And I don’t think that that is part of a rebuild or a commitment to get younger I think it’s simply a product of Earl wanting to go. I just have a hunch.

It's not a hunch, it's been played out for all to see.

Timeline:
- we balk at first extension talk last year when Earl publicly throws out the 15+ highest paid defensive back number
- he goes and hugs Garrett and tells Cowboys to come get him
- we try to trade him the past 2-3 months all the way through combine
- Schneider says we love Earl, and reminds everyone he's "under contract through 2018"..........which is code for "hey Earl you still have to play one more year."
- We trade and cut two of his favorite teammates

It's the same script as Sherman, but without the extension talk...........and I expect it to end the same way, not well for us.

Obviously money talks, so maybe the reason we're not going hard after guys like Suh, Nelson and ASJ is because Earl's extension is already being calculated into our remaining cap.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Str8OuttaSkittles":7ryvdymg said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/974401396605882368[/tweet]

wow...1st and 3rd possibly more. That blows the mid 2nd round talk outta the water

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And no matter what ANY fan says, a 1st and 3rd is a really good return on a guy who may want 13-15 mil a year, and the team can't pay that.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":15184it1 said:
NJlargent":15184it1 said:
Seymour":15184it1 said:
Notice Sea proposed means they aren't just "listening", they are doing the initiating. Earl is gone IMO.

He’s not staying with Sherm and Kam being done. He’s gone.
If they trade Earl so are their playoff chances for the next 4-5 years.
If you trade Earl you might as well trade Wags too. If you are going young on defense, do it, and get the most for your biggest chip while his value is at its highest, and you get rid of one of your biggest upcoming contracts in the process, plus you’d speed up the rebuild on both sides of the ball tremendously.

Good lord get a grip

How on earth did the Broncos, Eagles, and idk...other teams in NFL history ever win a Super Bowl without Earl Thomas? The horror. The only position worth getting this dramatic about is Quarterback

Kinger95

Reaction score
Exactly, and look at the broncos they won the super bowl just a couple years ago and they sucked this year. Elite teams can’t stay elite forever (minus the patriots) good player win you games but eventually they wanna get paid and you need to make choices and bite the bullet. We’ve got a lot of money tied into guys in kam and cliff that we dunno if they can even play. The table isn’t set at the moment for us to take a step forward so sometimes you need to take a step back and accelerate the ultimate goal

adeltaY

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner is 27 and KJ Wright is 28. I've heard varying opinions on whether KJ was slowing down last year and am not sure exactly what's true with regards to that. By the time this rebuild is over, I envision KJ gone and Wagner will be 30+.

I am NOT in favor of getting rid of either. Not in favor of trading Earl for this deal either tbh. IMO, Earl has four years of elite play ahead of him. I don't think we can draft someone in the first round who will have that kind of impact over the next four years, despite how cheap that player will be.

A-Dog

Reaction score
MODS, can you please merge the Earl Thomas threads?

Also, can we lock the Suh/ASJ thread and create separate threads for each player?

Board is a mess right now.

RCATES

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":i23bpyi5 said:
And no matter what ANY fan says, a 1st and 3rd is a really good return on a guy who may want 13-15 mil a year, and the team can't pay that.

A guy who also wanted to retire a year ago who plays extremely reckless. After what he did in Dallas last year and the threat of holding out I'd take these picks in a heart beat. PC is ready to rid this team of any distractions. I like it.

Steve2222

Reaction score
adeltaY":3f5evmuz said:
Bobby Wagner is 27 and KJ Wright is 28. I've heard varying opinions on whether KJ was slowing down last year and am not sure exactly what's true with regards to that. By the time this rebuild is over, I envision KJ gone and Wagner will be 30+.

I am NOT in favor of getting rid of either. Not in favor of trading Earl for this deal either tbh. IMO, Earl has four years of elite play ahead of him. I don't think we can draft someone in the first round who will have that kind of impact over the next four years, despite how cheap that player will be.

Wagner seems to get betterevery year and MLB is a position that can play impactfully well into their mid 30s. Other than a few nagging injuries, he has yet to suffer a serious injury as well.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/974422296998821888[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/974425015323013120[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/974425705063727104[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/974428011557634048[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/974429193613094912[/tweet]

pcbball12

Reaction score
Blitzer88":292f3z5b said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/974422296998821888[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/974425015323013120[/tweet]