What if front office traded..

cheese22

Reaction score
What stinks about this is that it shows how hard it is to balance finances and staying on top. For this team, or any other top contender, to stay on top they need guys who put team ahead of themselves. Right now we have several guys who are doing just the opposite. I can't help but think there is some animosity toward those who recently signed huge extensions. To keep this team together, some people have to accept a little less than what they could make in order to sign more guys. As good as Kam or Bennett or Irvin are, they their holdouts and demands do nothing but damage to the team in the long run. Maybe moving one or two of them for draft picks might send a message and enable the FO to sign young talent to rookie contracts that help this team.

chris98251

Reaction score
You don't put Kam on the market, you let teams that have a need come to you if you are going to move him, when your shopping a player you already have lost. Steelers, Falcons, Tampa maybe and the Jags may come calling if it goes till the season.

That's when you can get value or a great deal in return.

hawker84

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":ad8okvlp said:
Kam is not replaceable. Name one player that can take his place? Kenny Ea......Uh wait. Yeah, that's my point. Kam is flat out pissing me off right now. He is the biggest missing piece and adding a veteran OL is not going to change that factor. I am so bummed out about this. Right now, without Kam we will be lucky to go 9-7, if that.

This. ^^^^ I don't necessarily agree with the last part of the statement, but I agree that he is not replaceable at this point. And from what I've read and heard, he has no legs to stand on. he's locked in, we have no money to give him, he's fighting a losing battle at this point. This was not the year for him to get money hungry. Play another year, show that you can stay healthy and play at the level the team is accustomed to, continue talks through the season, and see what happens next off season. is he worth more, yes in my opinion. is he going to get a restructure this year, highly doubtful, all he's doing is hurting the team and his bank account at this point. but in the end, I have all the faith in Pete and John. they get it handled one way or the other. just my two pennies.

Boom84

Reaction score
Yeah, there's no scenario I could see the Seahawks trading Chancellor, he's one of the few transformative players in the league at any position, and there's no reason to relinquish such a player to another team.

On a positive note, I'm glad Kam is out and getting some rest for his knee. It's avoiding the dog days of camp as well as extra hitting which as a veteran is not critical for him to get ready and will keep him fresh for likely another long season.

My hope here is the owner joins the conversations already happening with the the front office and Kam's agent to provide assurance Kam will get taken care of when the time comes. Obviously the Seahawks both fully understand the value of their own players and are willing to show their appreciation financially when the time is right, however for Kam as well as Bennett the time is not right just yet.

two dog

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":z5psz02y said:
Rob12":z5psz02y said:
If I'm the Hawks I'm drawing a line in the sand. Enough is enough.

A line in the sand sounds good, but if you lose a game that Kam skips that line is not going to count for much.

You have 7mil of your cap tied up in Kams contract, you can't trade or cut him and you don't have a good replacement. The guys on your locker room are all with Kam, he is putting his body out there for the team with no guarantees.

OlyHawkFan":z5psz02y said:
Seriously... Get Kam on a flight. When he steps off the tarmac hand him in a pen and a pad and have him list the players that he is cutting so that his contract demands can be met.

Kam would be happy to do this, he will have to talk to exactly nobody.

He is not asking for more money, he is not asking for more of the cap. He wants the money for the next two years fully guaranteed so that if he gets injured doing what he does best he has some security.

Of course guranteeing his money is absolutely impossible, not only is it a terrible precedent, send the wrong message to the rest of the team and earn the hatred of every nfl owner out there, it also gives Kam no incentive to play for the next two years.

So is there a solution? Yes, but it very well may break the team. Give Kam the same guarantees that Willson got for injury. That makes _some_ not all of Kams salary for the next two years guaranteed if he gets injured.

Then you have to turn around and put those guarantees on the contracts of Bennet, Earl, Sherman and KJ just for starters. Expect a long line of hold outs after that if you don't continue.

Of course all the guys in the locker room are behind Kam. If the Seahawks cave
they will all line up for a new payday, with Michael Bennett first in line.
Bennett is more deserving IMO because Kam is already paid in the top echelon
at his position while Michael is not. Yet Bennett is as valuable to this team
as Kam by almost any evaluation.

two dog

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":3f0krx36 said:
Rob12":3f0krx36 said:
If I'm the Hawks I'm drawing a line in the sand. Enough is enough.

A line in the sand sounds good, but if you lose a game that Kam skips that line is not going to count for much.

You have 7mil of your cap tied up in Kams contract, you can't trade or cut him and you don't have a good replacement. The guys on your locker room are all with Kam, he is putting his body out there for the team with no guarantees.

OlyHawkFan":3f0krx36 said:
Seriously... Get Kam on a flight. When he steps off the tarmac hand him in a pen and a pad and have him list the players that he is cutting so that his contract demands can be met.

Kam would be happy to do this, he will have to talk to exactly nobody.

He is not asking for more money, he is not asking for more of the cap. He wants the money for the next two years fully guaranteed so that if he gets injured doing what he does best he has some security.

Of course guranteeing his money is absolutely impossible, not only is it a terrible precedent, send the wrong message to the rest of the team and earn the hatred of every nfl owner out there, it also gives Kam no incentive to play for the next two years.

So is there a solution? Yes, but it very well may break the team. Give Kam the same guarantees that Willson got for injury. That makes _some_ not all of Kams salary for the next two years guaranteed if he gets injured.

Then you have to turn around and put those guarantees on the contracts of Bennet, Earl, Sherman and KJ just for starters. Expect a long line of hold outs after that if you don't continue.

Seahawk

Reaction score
So far Kam is only hurting himself. If his holdout goes into the regular season, then his fines should not be forgiven and he should sit out one game for every game he holds out for. I think with that kind of precedence being set, players might rethink a hold out.

drdiags

Reaction score
My thinking is that until proven otherwise you can expect that Kam will not report until he has no other choice. The Seahawks cannot blink, if they do I will support them but I think it just makes it harder for them going forward.

I have been of the opinion that Kam was going to be one of the first core players the team was going to have to let go when his contract was up, so 2017 is the latest I thought Kam would be a Seahawk. Just the cost of success and the salary cap. Maybe the salary cap landscape will be such that he could be re-signed at a mid-level veteran contract but this current contract was most likely his largest earning one and he/his agent mis-judged the market he had.

I do think the team will need to consider moving Bennett after this season.

Willyeye

Reaction score
cheese22":2ceonozx said:
What's the point of having a contract if you give in to his demands? I can understand if someone is grossly underpaid and has a bunch of years left. But Kam is neither of those. I'd hate to see him go. But enough is enough. I can't help but wonder why this has happened so many times, recently. And don't say anything about having so much talent. I'm looking at the other contenders and this doesn't happen. Maybe if they had handled Irvin differently, this wouldn't be happening.

The way I see it, of all the contenders, the Seahawks are the only team that has been to the SB for the last 2 seasons straight. Not only does it make players think they are better than everyone else, but it makes them AND their agents think they are worth more money than the rest of the players in the league. I seem to recall Tate saying he was going to give a hometown discount, but when it came down to it, Tate had no issue moving to the cesspool called Detroit for the extra millions. Players nowadays are all about themselves and all about the money. But think about it: once a player has signed a $30 million deal, how much more money does he really need? If they do a halfway decent job of investing some of the money, none of their future offspring/generations will ever have to work again. I know about the injury argument; I worked in construction for 30+ years...I knew plenty of guys that had career ending injuries...even a few guys that ended up paralyzed from falls, and even a few that died. Some football players make more in a few months than I made in 30 years. I think this is why fans are beginning to care more about the team than individual players...there is ZERO loyalty left in professional sports.

Think about why the Seahawks have been so successful for the last 3 years...they drafted extremely well from 2010-2012. With all of the rookie contracts on great players, they had the cap space to add key players like Bennett (of course, Bennett was signed by the Seahawks as a UDFA in 2009), Avril, and now Graham. But once they decided to keep some of these guys past their rookie contracts, they created more of a demand for great draft picks. The entire future success of the Seahawks, now more than ever, hinges on their ability to draft great players. We'll just have to wait and see how that goes.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
By trading Kam, the team offloads $5.65 million in salary but creates a cap hit this season of $1.8 million and ensures the team then has to carry $7.45 million in dead money for next season. With fines maxed out they'd likely only have a $.8 million cap hit but would have $7.45 million in dead cap from this deal next season.

Chancellor's only leverage are (? is ?) essentially the numbers above, besides being a very good player.

SeaChase

Reaction score
We should trade Kam and Irvin. Irvin, just because I don't like him. I also think that Kam's nick name should change from bam bam to dumb dumb because he's being real dumb for this hold out.

Hawks46

Reaction score
If Kam holds out and he gets fined paychecks, is he still taking up a roster spot ?

Or is there a way to do something, kind of like a NFI (non football injury) list ? Can we make him inactive, and not hold a roster spot (kinda like IR) and still control his contract rights ?

If there is, I'd say to Kam "look, you have until the 2nd regular season game to get here. if you don't, you're going on _______ list and getting shelved for the year, with no compensation. We'll try again next year".

northseahawk

Reaction score
Kam is made to play on our defense and thrive. I doubt he would be at the level he is now on another system. This system allows him to maintain his limited duties, which is to have a big presence in the middle of the field and hit people hard.

People say that E.T makes Sherman look good. But I think ET has most affect on Kam. ET is the one who roams and cover the whole field and lets Kam do his stuff without too much to worry about.

mrt144

Reaction score
two dog":436pkyv4 said:

I am trying to refrain from using coarse language here -

Every single player is already looking for an extension. There is no "players are gonna" scenario, it already happens.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has gone here yet,

As much as we love Kam, if worse comes to worse and the only viable option is to trade him, then why not trade him for an offensive lineman instead of draft choices where we won't really recoup what his value is.

I'm thinking a Team Like Dallas, whose fans just love him, would be able to pry away one of their OL for him, they have an abundance of them.

It would be a great trade for both teams, not that I want to see Kam in Dallas with us having Jimmy, but still might work.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Naw, you do what the Vikes did with AP, play for Seattle or lose millions per year. Those are your 2 options.
The only way I'd even entertain that trade is for Martin, and there is NO way Dallas breaks up that O-line for a SS.
The realistic trade you would get in return would be pennies on the dollar of his value, so no thanks, I'd gamble and take my odds of him not sitting out. If he wants to sacrifice millions of dollars and sit out a season, he'll regret it in the long run.

chris98251

Reaction score
No, we don't Trade Kam, We Don't Trade Kearse, we Don't trade Okung, we Dont' Trade Irvin, we don't trade Bennett. We don't Trade Wilson either because he makes to much. Most these ideas would net us nothing, we would be on the hook for a large portion of most salaries anyway, we would get minimal in return since some will be FA shortly or when you start looking and trying to sell you get low market value since most good GM'S can sense desperation, they know our roster, they know what we have for cap room and know what were trying to do. You get return from teams in need and making phone calls when they think you have a stock of players and want to grab one before another needy team does.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":2vfh1fa8 said:
No, we don't Trade Kam, We Don't Trade Kearse, we Don't trade Okung, we Dont' Trade Irvin, we don't trade Bennett. We don't Trade Wilson either because he makes to much. Most these ideas would net us nothing, we would be on the hook for a large portion of most salaries anyway, we would get minimal in return since some will be FA shortly or when you start looking and trying to sell you get low market value since most good GM'S can sense desperation, they know our roster, they know what we have for cap room and know what were trying to do. You get return from teams in need and making phone calls when they think you have a stock of players and want to grab one before another needy team does.

We dont trade Chris either.....who knows what we would have to pay them to take him..... :sarcasm_off: :twisted: