Geno Trade Value?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Not what I want.

With early sentiment around the qb position, what are the chances we would trade Geno for a pick?

Wouldn't we save at least a little money?

I can clearly see Geno as our qb as well, if we protect him correctly he's above average with game winning drive ability and a lot of experience and iq. I personally would like to see him used and protected better.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I doubt we trade him but if we did his lower salary would help us get a good pick. I really doubt they would just give him away. It would have to be significant draft capital.

OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I think this is going to be a traditional trade back for more picks draft, geno could be playing for Pete Carroll somewhere who knows

CPHawk

Reaction score
He’s on the wrong side of 30, and any team would be looking for his replacement. I doubt he’s worth much today. Maybe if a contender next year loses a started, then we could trade him for more than he’s worth. But I doubt more than a 4-5th rounder.

Last edited:

kidhawk

Reaction score
we will probably need to see what kind of qb the new OC wants to work with but right now Geno is our only feasible option going into 2024. I do not like going into a season having to anoint a rookie as a starter without even so much as an OTA under his belt. If they decide to trade Geno I’d want another vet in his place and I can’t see getting one as good as Geno with the savings we’d have on the cap. I think our best option is to keep Geno for one more year and see how it plays out. If he can’t keep his job and gets beat by a rookie we can cut him next year and sign a backup (or draft one) for a more reasonable cap number.

Edit: if they want to go in another direction and still afford a veteran who might sign for a reasonable amount they would be better off to cut him and designate it as post June 1. That would get us a little extra cap to be able to afford to replace him with cap left over.

Last edited:

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I think this is going to be a traditional trade back for more picks draft, geno could be playing for Pete Carroll somewhere who knows
Can't see Pete doing anything other than retiring. If he had wanted another job his contract owuld have been terminated so he would be fee to join another team. He will do what he can for us in some advisory role next year while getting his final year salary and that will be it.

OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I think I would take a 3rd and let JS make that two 4ths in the draft. We now have a direct pipeline to cfb scouting on kids for the foreseeable future. This is pick RW3 in the third round, or Sherm in the 5th, or angry Doug as a udfa time for a new regime. It's an exciting off-season.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Maybe there's a scenario where this lines up:
-Team with a good defense and run game looks playoff bound but loses their starting QB in first 4-6 weeks of season.
-We're below .500 and NFC looking strong enough to prevent any 8-9 win wild card teams.

Then we get a buyer willing to trade a bit more for Geno and we're in a spot to happily accept? That seems like best case scenario for trading Geno.

OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I disagree I think at this point there are always a lot of teams looking for an above average qb. Geno is a known athlete with seemingly a lot of good relationships around th league these days, he's mingling at the probowl now..

QWERTY

Reaction score
The only reason why Geno did well for the Sehawks is because he has one of the top WR core's and TE that can catch.

If he was with the Giants or Jets, his stats would be like Zack Wilson.

OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Can't see Pete doing anything other than retiring. If he had wanted another job his contract owuld have been terminated so he would be fee to join another team. He will do what he can for us in some advisory role next year while getting his final year salary and that will be it.
I think the same, just making the point I have no idea too :)

Maulbert

Reaction score
I'd trade Lock first.

I never once thought Geno was our future. But I want to draft a QB, and am more than comfortable having Geno start while the new guy learns, and I think Geno would be a better mentor than Lock.

sutz

Reaction score
I'd trade Lock first.

I never once thought Geno was our future. But I want to draft a QB, and am more than comfortable having Geno start while the new guy learns, and I think Geno would be a better mentor than Lock.
Lock is a FA after March, unless we re-sign him. I imagine he'll be looking for a starting gig somewhere, or at least a shot at it. A lot depends on who we bring in as OC.

OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
This trade would ideally free up money to sign a huge dt and some former ravens in fa is another motivation

renofox

Reaction score
If Geno was released now, I don't think there's a team out there that would pay him 22.3 as a free agent, much less give up pick(s) for the opportunity. If Geno is still a Seahawk on ~2/17, odds are pretty high that he will be a Seahawk for the 2024 season.

Geno has 12.7 2024 salary that becomes guaranteed ~2/17. This cap hit will transfer to the new team if he is traded. If he is still a Seahawk that means they are either retaining him for 2024 or already have a trade deal in place.

A trade deal can be agreed to anytime but cannot be executed until ~3/13.

Geno has a 9.6 roster bonus that will be paid on ~3/16. This will fully hit the 2024 cap of whatever team has him on the roster on that date. If he is still a Seahawk that means 99% they're keeping him for 2024 at an actual cost of 22.3. (Unless they have a trade deal where the Seahawks will absorb 9.6 of extra cap hit for higher picks - as tight as cap is right now, I don't see JS doing this.)