Geno Trade Value?

Parallax

Reaction score
I’m a big second chance guy and root for anyone who’s turned things around. I think it’s why I wanted Baker in Seattle recently and root for him now. Rattler is a guy who will go lower than his talent level potentially so I like Seattle getting great value in Rattler. I understand people being nervous tho
I'm right with you. Wanted Mayfield too. Can see Rattler as potentially a great value. None of the guys below the top three has a better than 50/50 chance of becoming a starter, or better than 20% of becoming a true franchise guy (and that's probably generous). Still, I see Rattler's chances as on par with those of Penix, McCarthy and Nix. Each one of those guys has something special.

With Penix, it's obviously the arm. It is extraordinary. On day one, it would be one of the best in the NFL. Maybe the best. Nix combines an excellent arm (yes, he can make deep passes) with great athleticism, balance and poise. But he rarely faced any kind of pressure. Penix did in a couple of games and that's when he didn't look great.

McCarthy didn't have a lot of opportunities to showcase himself. The team's strength was its lines and its run game. But when asked to throw, his completion percentage was outstanding. In or out of the pocket, he completed better than 70 percent, which was best among any of these guys and better than the top three too. Not the strongest arm but strong enough for some offenses. But probably not for a Ryan Grubb type offense.

Rattler was on a terrible team but he played well all year. It didn't draw much notice because his team was not competitive but he faced a ton of pressure and threw a lot of excellent passes with defenders down his throat. His team couldn't keep him in games. His highlight reel doesn't jump out at one like that of Penix or Nix but if one watches carefully, there's a lot to like. Great arm. Decent mobility. Real sturdy. No significant injury history.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The Philly game and Lock’s finish told us a lot about Lock.

I believe he has real potential and possibly ‘ the stuff ‘ . He revealed it in that game. He needs lots of coaching but possibly has a higher ceiling and a higher floor than many believe.

If Lock hadn’t got sick in the post RW offseason perhaps the job may not of defaulted to Geno who is an adequate to above adequate journeyman. I am not a real fan of Gee-No, but he does protect the ball better than Lock and that’s a big plus. However, is he really a guy who could take the team to a championship? Is he worth paying?

No doubt we may know soon what the team thinks.

I would like to see the team draft a young guy and do like Penix, Rattler, or Nix, and bridge through with Lock. First though the interior OLine needs reinforcing.

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
Well, tomorrow's the first day in the Geno sweepstakes. First indicator of if they want him to stay or not.

JesseOh

Reaction score
What if we tried to make a deal with a team like the Commander's, Titans or Patriots they are the top 3 in open cap space. Maybe a package of Geno, Lockett & Jones shot for a 2nd and late maybe a late round pick this year or next. It will help us on cap and the other team receives a good bridge/mentor QB, an older but still incredibly productive receiver & Jones is a contract that I think we should shop now.

Parallax

Reaction score
or Tom Brady
I agree. Who knows. I think it's so unfair to these kids to project someone like Bortles. We don't know. Most QBs fail in the transition to the NFL if the bar is to be a long-term starter that leads a championship-caliber team, but we're really bad at projecting who will succeed and who will fail. Mahomes was picked, what, 10th? Whereas there's a litany of guys chosen 1 or 2 who have gone nowhere.

Parallax

Reaction score

Well spoken. Seems mature. I'm particularly impressed by Nix with regard to his maturity but all these guys have to hold a lot so it probably forces them to grow up fast. We've seen Rattler come a heck of a long way from arrogant frat boy freshman to mature team leader and veteran.