What is our Super Bowl window?

kf3339

Reaction score
So this place is just really boring right now. There is just so little to talk about but finally we may have some new material with FA starting this week. This brings me to my header statement.

What is our Super Bowl window?

I believe PC is signed thru the 2021 season. He will be 70 when the season ends that year. Even with his energy, how long does he really expect to serve as our HC?

Also, our primary defensive veterans are at an age where age and ability is going to be largely impacted by then. Namely Wagner, Wright(if still with us) and probably McDougald. Do we have the players on our roster that can effectively replace those guys at the same or near same level they play at today?

On offense, Brown is very likely to retire in the next two seasons. We don't have a replacement LT who can take his place with no or little loss in play ability. I know Fant, but he wants to start at LT today and is an FA.

Iupati is an FA and injury prone. Britt is coming off a serious injury and may be a restructure or cut candidate. Flucker has only one season left on contract and also is injury prone. Olsen is only on a one year contract.

All of this leads me to believe that they may see only two paths for this and next season.

1. We go all in on signing high quality veterans on defense and possibly the O-Line to push for a Super Bowl appearance this or no later than next year. Give them heavy guaranteed money and back load the contracts to fit more players in to make a Super Bowl push realistic.

2. We get younger pretty much every where on offense and defense and expect a drop off in results while the younger guys learn and grow together. This means cuts with some of our current roster vets and try to trade those guys for more picks for this year and next year drafts.

With PC nearing his retirement, which strategy does the team take starting tomorrow?

Personally, I think option one will be our route to take being I don't see PC staying after his contract is up. If he wants to get back to and win another Super Bowl now he needs to go all in with FA and worry about our cap several years down the road. If we are able to get another SB win I would take that deal now. If we didn't have RW this last few years or he had been injured this team would have not been competitive and probably no playoffs at all. We are banking on him pulling us out nearly every game. That is not a sound strategy at his age to continue right now. I would much rather sign impact vets who will help us make and win another Super Bowl now while PC is still our coach.

So again, which option do you take and why?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
To put it simply, our Super Bowl window is Russell Wilson's career. I staunchly believe that team last year wins two games with Geno Smith at QB. With Russ, there's always a shot.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
These next few months will be telling, health obviously is a factor over the next several seasons, I think as long as we have John Schneider and Russell Wilson, and we have overcome our draft board foibles like they said we did last offseason, I see no reason why it needs to shut, honestly, if managed properly.

It's a good generation to be a hawk fan, just got to win a few more before people melt down and start eating one another.

AgentDib

Reaction score
My soapbox on this is that windows are artificially created by teams when they ignore the long-term consequences of short-term gains. Losing Carroll and RW at some point will be a challenge, but there have been plenty of cases where teams have made those transitions - the Eagles with coaching for example and there are many examples with QBs. The Seahawks managed to go from Holmgren and Hass to Pete and Russ with just a single gap year between each.

The key to staying competitive year after year is continuing to build through the draft every season, paying the great players, and trading good but not great players rather than overpaying them.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
It wont be with Pete coaching. Too much turnover that is resulting in weaknesses that are hard to overcome. The defense was awful last season and Wagner isn't getting any younger while KJ is done now, so that will need addressed soon along with the glaring weaknesses we have in the secondary and pass rush. Like said before, Brown is probably done in a year or two while the RB's are a huge question mark right now as is the TE position. Its going to take another 4 or so years before the Hawks are a serious threat in my opinion and that is still up in the air with coaching changes happening.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Our Super Bowl window was 2012-2014. It has come and gone, and under Pete we will never even sniff another Super Bowl.

xray

Reaction score
The rebuild that's 2 years in doesn't inspire greatness . The draft has not been producing the pro bowlers that was expected . If Wilson stays healthy the Hawks have a chance ; but the defense is a big question again . The window for a SB is not this season IMO.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3bu7hfw6 said:
Our Super Bowl window was 2012-2014. It has come and gone, and under Pete we will never even sniff another Super Bowl.

Team was a dropped pass away from pushing itself into a nfc championship game with a team they were literally millimeters from sweeping.

They "sniffed" it last year

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3g6ddi7i said:
Why even bother playing, I mean they have no shot right? It just continues...…..

Hard to get too excited about a season that might not happen .

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3rl8bx6s said:
Spin Doctor":3rl8bx6s said:

Team was a dropped pass away from pushing itself into a nfc championship game with a team they were literally millimeters from sweeping.

Oh for heaven's sakes don't let facts get in the way Si.
You did leave out the part where they lost their top three running backs to injury and still were a dropped pass away from an NFC championship game against the team that they had played down to the wire twice and beat once.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3bf1aovn said:
Spin Doctor":3bf1aovn said:

Guess what? There have been many teams over the years that have been "millimeters" away from championships or advancing in playoffs. Nobody remembers those teams. Mora Sr. said it best with the lines "could've, would've, should've". We had the potential to win, but that never came to fruition. How did that happen? Shoddy game planning, poor coaching in the first half, lack of execution. Different year, different players, same story. Pete Carroll is never winning another championship under the Seahawks banner. In fact, Carroll has lost more playoff games than he has won since 2015.

Lord knows I've been wrong before, but I'm just not liking what I'm seeing from Carroll. He's good at building a program, but his game planning, and in game coaching is absolutely a liability that will hold him back from advancing far in playoff games.

thegameq

Reaction score
Our Super Bowl window depends on how good or bad we will be in comparison to the other teams at the moment.

Rams: we are better than the Rams--do they get better or continue to fall. Was it just the SB hangover?

Niners: contenders. We can hang with them, but there is a talent gap on defense.

Cards: on the rise, they will give us headaches and pass us if we do not improve greatly

Packers: even and flawed. Like us they begin and end with their quarterback and always have a chance. Do not play Rodgers in Green Bay and we will be fine.

Vikings: even and flawed. They are legit thanks to their defense and good play from Cousins--he is also their weakness. Russell tips the balance it in our favor, but OL issues....

Saints: contenders. Drew Brees, Sean Payton--they can score. You need a defense to slow down the Saints.

Dallas: even. They are us with a better running back and offensive line.

Seahawks: smoke and mirrors contender? no defense, spotty offensive game planning. sloppy in-game management. If they can get the competition to come down to their level they have a chance with Russell. Otherwise, it's more of the same.

You could make the argument that no team in the NFC is really that great or dominant. But some are clearly better than others.

chet380

Reaction score
Without a viable pass rush, any thoughts of SB contention are dreams ... Sure, Russell will overcome some leads that an opponent has built up with a competent passing game, but there is no way that the elite teams will be beaten without a pass rush to hurry their QB's.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
You have a Superbowl window so long as you have an overall talent saturated team. If you have a QB, your chances are better, but teams almost never win Superbowls if their team emphasis is on the QB and passing game. It's a mentally unhealthy mindset. You saturate your team with talent from top to bottom and grow it and nurture it like a garden. That's what wins superbowls, not eating asses of specific players.