What the worst move/ transaction during the Pete/John era?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I really have a hard time hating on the Rice signing. First, we paid him a premium to come here because no one wanted to play in Seattle at that time. He was the bridge for introducing Bevell's offense during a lockout year and also a good player who kept things afloat while the team rebuilt. By all accounts, he has been a great leader for the WR corps. Secondly, he made the two biggest plays of the 2012 season, which we all have to agree was the turning point and precursor for this Super Bowl run. He was also our best and most productive receiver that year. Does Russell Wilson develop at the same rate and with the same confidence in 2012 without Rice? Who is Russell Wilson today without those plays against New England and Chicago?

I wouldn't change a thing about that signing.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":20p0h5hv said:
RB Lendale White -- White had lost significant weight prior to 2009, slimming down to 229, which he attributed in part to a tequila free diet. Shortly after the trade was made, word leaked out that White had failed a drug test and was facing a possible 4 game suspension. White was released a mere 12 days after the deal was made.
dumbrabbit":20p0h5hv said:
My vote goes for the drafting of James Carpenter and signing LenDale white.
I don't blame them for acquiring LenDale White. That was before we had Marshawn Lynch, and I think we still had Julius Jones at the time. White did well for Pete at USC, and even though he got fat and slow before losing some weight, Pete thought he was worth giving a chance. He did basically the same thing for BMW, and nobody complains about that move. The difference was that BMW wanted to work hard for his second (4th?) chance, and White apparently felt entitled.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Hawks46":3akb8jqc said:
Sims and Vickerson both bother me slightly as we got rid of them for almost nothing and they've both had good careers. In Sim's case, better than most of the Guards we've trotted through in his absence. Getting rid of a guy is one thing, but not being able to find guys to replace him at that level means you messed up a bit. I'm not sure I blame the FO as that was most likely a Cable decision because he didn't fit the system (or was that Solari?).
It was Gibbs, the guy who retired right before the season started. Cable came later.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
Whitehurst is def the worst move in my mind...I wasn't a fan of some dude that sucked in preseason for the most part and never played in the regular season. With that said, looking back on the two drafts that trade impacted, we only missed out on Gronk, but got Tate instead...I'll call that a wash now with Gronks injury history and our SB win (2 years ago I think we were all wondering about the possibilities). We are also getting a decent comp pick with Tate's departure so I'm at peace with that. Zane Beadles is the only other guy that looks decent to me, but we had already selected Okung.

The 2011 draft was pretty pathetic in the late 3rd early 4th, the only names that stand out are...KJ Wright and Jordan Cameron who finally broke out last year. So we missed out on two pro bowl TE that have had mixed results over their careers.

Overall it was the FO decision to move quickly away from CBJ that we should be applauding. They figure their mistakes out faster than most teams and move on from them, usually getting better from the move. I love PC and JS for this, we are fortunate to have them.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3m3xnu8j said:
Easy, the percy harvin trade.

The only move in hawks history that rivals the harvin trade is drafting Curry.

It just goes to show how good Schneider has been overall. He managed to make the worst or 2nd worst move in Hawks history and we STILL won the super bowl. That is not easy to do.
Ummmm... :187734:

CEHawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":34ihwdt3 said:

It just goes to show how good Schneider has been overall. He managed to make the worst or 2nd worst move in Hawks history and we STILL won the super bowl. That is not easy to do.

Without a doubt they have made waaaaaaay more good moves than bad and I look forward to more Lombardis

PS. To those saying Rice is the worst move, refresh your memory on what we paid rice and what we got in return, and what we gave up for Harvin and got in return (much less than rice).

Harvin costs more $, we gave up valuable draft picks, and he can't play 2 games in a row.

There is not a single category where the Rice signing is worse than the Harvin trade.

Lol, Can we archive this for after this season?? It is way too early to make this kind of judgment on the Harvin trade. With what he has done in the games he has played I would say the trade looks pretty damn good right now. AND he is playing in all of the OTAs I believe, so thing are looking great. Harvin's time in Seattle is just starting.

However, Rice really was the worst return on a contract of that size, not much cheaper then Harvin. That is really what we are talking about here, disappointing performance for the money and/or trade/draft value. Otherwise Thurmond would be in the dialogue as well. The only reason Thurmond wasn't a HORRIBLE pick was because he was a round 4 and cheap!

Oh and Rice guaranteed money = $19 million cut at 3 years, Harvin guaranteed money = $14.5 million over 6 years

If you take away Rice's 2 best seasons of his 7. He has averaged 306 yards per season..... LOL Common how can people be so blind. And even his two best years make him the least efficient receiver of our veterans. We acquired Bevell, Tavaris and Rice because of our pre-existing relationship with the Minnesota FO. The Rice trade didn't start this relationship.

Field Gulls quote:
"Rice has two career games with Seattle where he's gone over 100 yards and both came in the first half of 2011.

He's missed 31 games in seven years.

He's coming off of a torn ACL.

Doug Baldwin has more seasons of 750+ yards than Rice does.

He had 28.9 yards per game last year before getting hurt."

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Matt Flynn was a tremendous signing, he turned Russell Wilson into a gem. :D

Charlie Whitehurst was utterly awful though. At least they didn't give up a 3rd rounder for Flynn.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":6l071nca said:

Without a doubt they have made waaaaaaay more good moves than bad and I look forward to more Lombardis

PS. To those saying Rice is the worst move, refresh your memory on what we paid rice and what we got in return, and what we gave up for Harvin and got in return (much less than rice).

Harvin costs more $, we gave up valuable draft picks, and he can't play 2 games in a row.

There is not a single category where the Rice signing is worse than the Harvin trade.

Hating Harvin is still a thing on here?

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

kigenzun

Reaction score
Just my opinions...

#12. I am a fan, but...'Big Game' James needs to shave his head, grow a goatee, dye it blood red, eat lightning, crap thunder, catch that chicken, and friggin' GET MEAN IN 2014!!!

#11. Clipboard Jesus beat the Rams... so he aint even in my Top 10. 'nuff said.

#10. Kris Durham. Who?

#9. Robert Gallery. Another big contract for the disappointing #3 overall pick. One of Cable's hand selected "guys", he didn't actually even finish the season did he?

#8. Matt 'Noodle-Arm' Flynn's big-ass contract vs. actual production. Meh. It's only somebody else's money... right?

#7. Putting McQuistan at LT, and then leaving him out there alone... oh wait, that's not a draft/personnel error... or is it?

#6 Letting Sims get away... why? why?

#5. Not standing pat in the first place and drafting Alterraun Verner in the 2010 4th round at #104.
Instead, trading for LenDale/Vick, and then compounding the error by drafting Thurmond at #111 instead of GENO ATKINS!!!...who went at #120. (Additionally, we probably could've got Atkins at #111, and still got Thurmond instead of EJ Wilson at #127, and looked like, if not geniuses, rocket scientists at least.)

#4. Mike Person. He made our original 53-man in 2013 didn't he? That's sad AND scary.

#3. Speaking of 2010 draft... Missing Navorro Bowman in the 2010 draft. Got Tate?

#2. OMG!!! My personal axe-to-grind pet peeve...
Chris Harper's SPARQ rating said it all... they shoulda known better... simple as that.

and
the #1. John Moffitt, Dumb Ass Inc.
Dumbass inc