WHAT were they thinking, burning that last timeout?

Tical21

Reaction score
100% of football coaches at any level use a timeout there. When you're running out of time, and the clock is running, they have these things called timeouts that are available to you so that you can stop the clock.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
minormillikin":11v3g56o said:
I'm confused about the anger over this timeout.

The Rams had a lead, they just ran the ball, the clock was running after the measurement and they brought out the punt team. Wouldn't they have run the clock down, possibly all the way down and taken a delay of game?

I assume Pete called the timeout because they wanted those 30-something seconds for the offense.

Is the problem that it gave Goff time to talk them into going for it?

What am I missing?
Um, you're missing the fact that they had decided not to go for it - and that was primarily BECAUSE we had the timeout, their offense left the field - and then we STUPIDLY burned that timeout. With 1:39 left on the clock, all of a sudden the entire situation changed - if they could pick up just a few inches, they could ice the game. With a timeout left, we'd have been able to get the ball back needing only a field goal to win if our defense could stop them on the next series.

The ONLY reason they sent their offense back out on the field was because we burned that damn timeout. I was also just on the phone with a Rams fan who completely agrees and can't believe we called that timeout.

Ugh...the pain.....it hurts.

Tical21":11v3g56o said:
100% of football coaches at any level use a timeout there. When you're running out of time, and the clock is running, they have these things called timeouts that are available to you so that you can stop the clock.
*rolls eyes* - see above. We HAD them stopped and they were going to punt. This isn't the same Jeff Fisher team that saves a great trick play specifically for the Seahawks every year.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I think the Rams tried a fake punt last week. It’s not out of the question that McVay tries to win the game that way.

Preserving time was more important than the risk that a timeout would cause the Rams to change their mind about going for it on 4th down (and that they would actually make it). If Wagner times it right, Seahawks could have had that stop (with plenty of time to move into game-winning FG range because they used the timeout).

chris98251

Reaction score
You have one of the best long field goal kickers in the game and a time out of you don't call it, you don't worry about the return you go for the block and make the punter hurry it, if the kick goes to the sideline you have Lockett go as far as he can before stepping out before contact. You have about a minute left, the run game is still an option because of the time out.

Throw a quick hitter somewhere and then a counter, use the time out and then see what you have left. We should be able to get 30 yards in a minute against a prevent defense.

At least you have a chance then.

They had the lead and a foot to go, they were going to punt as they got lined up, we gave them a chance to think about it.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, thought it was dumb at the time, and all the justifications I've been hearing have not changed my mind.

They were out of time outs. They put the punt team out there. It sucked.

Wolfepack

Reaction score
Like others have touched on ... the bottom line is which gives us the better option to win:

1. Our offense gets the ball with just under a minute left, with a timeout, and has get into Janikowski’s range. He probably can hit in the 55-60yd range at home, so even if fair caught at the 10(ish), the offense would have to march about 50 yards.

2. Our defense, which had given up 33 points so far, stops them from gaining half a yard.

Once Hekker came out, I thought McVay made a mistake and was giving our offense a chance ... but it was too late for him to rethink with no timeouts left ... he couldn’t call an offensive play last moment - probably would’ve got a delay of game. Our timeout gave McVay the time to realize that it’s better to trust his high powered offense to gain 36 inches than to give Russell and Co. a chance for a game winning drive. Trading 40 seconds for a timeout is typically the right call, especially if it’s like 4th and 3+ ... but when it’s 4th and inches and you catch their coach in a mistake, you don’t give him a do-over.

endzorn

Reaction score
I don’t think there is a coach in the NFL who would have kept a timeout in pocket while 40 of 100 seconds clicked off. I guarantee you if Pete had let the clock run down and they’d have punted that this board would be going nuts the other way. He made the right call, but the McVay has giant balls and they decided to try to win outright. I have no problem with using it.

justafan

Reaction score
Ya its a no brainer to take that TO. That wasnt what cost us the game.The Rams made the plays down the stretch to win.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I thought it was needless to call a TO there, especially when they sent their punt team on the field. They were up 2 points with inches to go for a first at mid field. They were going to punt or take the delay of game. Pete let them off the hook to reconsider and get things set up. Bad call by Pete, but I dont blame the loss on that call.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
getnasty":1fm3ozcd said:
100 out of 100 coaches call a timeout there.
Don't think so. It was extremely bad situational football. I was following the general NFL reddit during the game, and fans of every team were confused with the decision before the sneak even occurred. Especially since McVay was trotting out the punting team. Getting outcoached is becoming a trend with Carroll.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Maybe our defense could have stopped them??? Lets not put all blame on Pete here. it was not unreasonable to do what he did. A lot of armchair coaches think they know best watching replays from the comfort of there living room.

xray

Reaction score
There's the difference between an old coach and a young coach. Using the timeout was "old school" correct ;but it gave the ballsy young coach time to plan. Hey Pete ....let them punt!!!!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
getnasty":1efpa99w said:

I dont believe that at all. In the context of the game, you roll with whats going on as soon as you see their punt team run on the field. If 100 of the coaches call a timeout there then why is this such a huge topic with the fans, media, and NFL analysts?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3u0kjebn said:
getnasty":3u0kjebn said:
Don't think so. It was extremely bad situational football. I was following the general NFL reddit during the game, and fans of every team were confused with the decision before the sneak even occurred. Especially since McVay was trotting out the punting team. Getting outcoached is becoming a trend with Carroll.

I completely agree with the argument that 100 out of 100 coaches call a timeout in this situation. Fans were confused about the call on NFL reddit? Are you trying to tell me that fans know more about the game than coaches at the highest level of football? :roll: Maybe there is a reason that fans are fans and coaches are coaches.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
People there on the sidelines said the timeout was called by Pete immediately after the Gurley run. The officials did not announce a timeout had been called until after the measurement.

It looked like Pete called a timeout after the clock had stopped, a measurement happened, and the Rams had their Punt team on the field, but that is not the case.

The timeout was called immediately after the run play, like any coach would do, and then not announced on the field until they sorted out the field position.

It makes a lot more sense when you know that.

Seymour

Reaction score
JustTheTip":15ujwo77 said:
poly1274":15ujwo77 said:
It was the right call. But they had a timeout as well I believe and they would milk the clock then call timeout and send in the offense

Rams were out of timeouts.

Until Pete came through for them! :roll:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1kquk96m said:
People there on the sidelines said the timeout was called by Pete immediately after the Gurley run. The officials did not announce a timeout had been called until after the measurement.

It looked like Pete called a timeout after the clock had stopped, a measurement happened, and the Rams had their Punt team on the field, but that is not the case.

The timeout was called immediately after the run play, like any coach would do, and then not announced on the field until they sorted out the field position.

It makes a lot more sense when you know that.

I also read that the ref asked Pete again after the measurement to reassure he wanted the timeout. That was going on when the punt team was already on the field. Will be interesting to see what others say about it on the sports shows as its one of the main topics.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3egsao9o said:
I think the Rams tried a fake punt last week. It’s not out of the question that McVay tries to win the game that way.

Preserving time was more important than the risk that a timeout would cause the Rams to change their mind about going for it on 4th down (and that they would actually make it). If Wagner times it right, Seahawks could have had that stop (with plenty of time to move into game-winning FG range because they used the timeout).

The fake punt is MUCH easier to stop than the qb sneak on that distance. I'd take the chances on faking the punt 100% of the time in that situation.

As far as preserving the time goes, I'd agree if we were down by 4 or more, but we weren't. All we needed was a field goal. Even on bad days the odds are good Wilson can pull that off. The way our offense was working today, we had a very high chance to get into position and having that timeout in our pocket to get set for the field goal was worth more than the 25 seconds the Rams could have burned.