WHAT were they thinking, burning that last timeout?

rcaido

Reaction score
Some were ok with the timeout, some are not...Looks like a 50/50 in that situation. How you going to blame a coach for that. We stop them we have a good chance in winning. They punt we have a good chance of winning. Just happens they executed. Stop being Monday Morning QBs with that call.

The fault was on the kicker & our poor tackling. Also those two costly penalties. It was a good game.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ do you have any references to a game where a team with a timeout left didn’t call it on 4th and inches with under 2mins to go when the ball is on the opponents side of midfield

I can honestly not say I have EVER seen it on any level

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I can't believe it's the next day and people still are thinking Pete made a mistake there with the timeout. I thought surely a night of sleep would have cleared the mind....

As the above poster mentioned, has any coach in the HISTORY of the NFL not called a timeout in that situation? Ever?

I'm as hard on Pete as the next guy, but he wasn't in the wrong here.

mikeak

Reaction score
pmedic920":h7opxfzk said:
A small chance is always better than NO chance.

Even with some reasonable arguments, I still don’t like calling the TO.

There was a small chance after calling the TO

Just had to stop the QB sneak

It isn't like we jumped offside, ran into the kicker, put 12 men on the field and gave them a first down

Calling a timeout there is (apparently) a judgement call. There is no black and white answer to what is right / wrong, but either way there was one play by the Rams or many plays by Seahawks and they both gave us a chance.

If the ball had clearly been short and no measuring would have happened the clock would have kept rolling. I really wonder if an immediate timeout in that case would have had this many people complaining.

I truly believe the clock stopped and therefore a lot (not all) are pissed that we used a timeout. Then when informed about how it actually works these crazy thoughts on not using it are being utilized to justify the original thought instead of admitting we were wrong...……..

or I am incorrect and you guys looked at all our 4th quarter game winning drives from earlier this season and those drives convinced you we didn't need the extra 40 secs...…...

raisethe3

Reaction score
I was livid when they did that. Calling the TO is dumb. Especially when the Rams were going to punt the ball. It gave them time to strategic their plan. At least when you're on offense, you can always run out of bounds or spike the ball to conserve the clock? A good offense team can easily drive for a field range in 45 secs or so. (Yes, that includes running out of bounds to preserve the clock). That's all it needs.

getnasty

Reaction score
The Rams were going for it weather we call a timeout or not, there was a measurment and they had plenty of time to figure that out. I've never seen a NFL coach not stop the clock in a situation like that to save the time you know for a fact that is going to be run down. You have much more control of the clock when you have the ball. Maybe it was a overstatement to say 100 out of 100 coaches call a timeout there but I'm guessing 90 out of 100 do. It was a good call by Pete and it was a good call by Mcvey. Looking at the difference in talent level on the field I'm finding it hard to believe Pete got out coached in this one.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
The punt unit was out. 2 things were going to happen
1-fake punt (not high success rate, get the ball there)
2-punt (we get the ball with approx 1:06 but backed up.

Either of these we still have a time out. Maybe have the ball,aybe we don't, 50/50.

Option we took:
1-take the time out(now zero left). Gives a super aggressive coach time to realize he is super aggressive. Now they make six inches, and we can do nothing. Their OL has a huge size advantage. We maybe have at best a 20% chance of stopping those Giants.

These are the things they should know. Not playing armchair at all. As SOON as I saw Pete call a time out with the Rams punt team on the field, I lost my mind. You knew EXACTLY what mcvay would do, and he did it.

Calling a timeout with 1:39 left in itself is absolutely the right call, but in that situation it absolutely was not. Them punting or even a fake punt has by far the highest probability of you getting the ball again. AND--AND-- you still have your time out.

Pete calling that timeout was a lack of awareness of the actual situation and knowing your opponents tendencies, weaknesses and strengths.

That is why it was the wrong call.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
getnasty":1sqryadr said:
The Rams were going for it weather we call a timeout or not.

No they werent. They were going to punt.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1vnya8iq said:
getnasty":1vnya8iq said:

Or at least fake punt, but either way we have a MUCH higher probability of stopping it.

mrt144

Reaction score
johnnyfever":36efiqt6 said:
pittpnthrs":36efiqt6 said:
getnasty":36efiqt6 said:

Or at least fake punt, but either way we have a MUCH higher probability of stopping it.

It's roughly a 1/3rd chance to stop them in that situation with a called 4th and 1 play against the offense - which may or may not be better than getting a FG after a punt. But in the moment it felt like the Hawks gave them an out and come to their senses on what was the best thing to do in that situation given the possibility to stop and the outcomes from that.

getnasty

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":pp3qkhqz said:
getnasty":pp3qkhqz said:

Once they stopped to measure they had the time to change there mind and they did.

THE TABS

Reaction score
HommyHawk":3rf12wbf said:
Last play rams ran was a run...once they reset ball clock was gonna run...if we dont call it there we get the ball with 30 something seconds and one time out. Was the right call rams coach just let his testes hang on that one.

Correct.

The mistake Pete made was taking the time outs on the wrong side of the 2 minute warning. Always take them in front, then get the free one at 2 minutes. You preserve more time that way.

It amazes me how so many head coaches cannot properly execute basic game management strategy.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
getnasty":3i9m5c63 said:
pittpnthrs":3i9m5c63 said:
getnasty":3i9m5c63 said:

Once they stopped to measure they had the time to change there mind and they did.

Wrong, after the second measurement, they sent out the punt squad. Then the officials gave Pete the option to still take the timeout he called before the measurement, or keep it as the measurement stopped the clock. Only AFTER Pete called the timeout did the punt team leave the field and the offense come back out.

Fact is, punt team would have made whatever play they called, but by Pete calling the timeout it gave mcvay time to change his playcall

johnnyfever

Reaction score
THE TABS":1iwafr39 said:
HommyHawk":1iwafr39 said:
Last play rams ran was a run...once they reset ball clock was gonna run...if we dont call it there we get the ball with 30 something seconds and one time out. Was the right call rams coach just let his testes hang on that one.

Correct.

The mistake Pete made was taking the time outs on the wrong side of the 2 minute warning. Always take them in front, then get the free one at 2 minutes. You preserve more time that way.

It amazes me how so many head coaches cannot properly execute basic game management strategy.
again, wrong. Would have had 1:06 left, not .30. this is directly from Pete on Brock and salk, as well as brock.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ms8d54r said:
This take and anger makes ZERO sense to me.

Did you miss the fact that they took their offense off the field, we then called the timeout, and they put their offense back on the field? Think it through......

sc85sis

Reaction score
All I know is that the entire Seahawks radio crew—many of whom are former players and/or coaches—agreed with taking the time out. I’m going to trust their and Pete’s judgement on this one.

adeltaY

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1obbxb0p said:
Sgt. Largent":1obbxb0p said:

Did you miss the fact that they took their offense off the field, we then called the timeout, and they put their offense back on the field? Think it through......

Clayton and Brock said they actually had most of their offense still on the field during the measurement even after they sent out the punting unit and could easily have switched them out... I'm not sure how realistic that is, but if true they could've gone for it regardless of the TO.

I just don't think that's the decision that sunk us, it was just a tough one at the end of the game, which is why many of us are so hung up on it. The penalties and wasted TO earlier in the 4th were much worse IMO.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":bylj79yx said:
Sgt. Largent":bylj79yx said:

And if Seattle stops them there, they win, and Pete is a hero for goading them into making a stupid decision. How was he supposed to know McVey was going to be an absolute idiot and send the offense back out there?

You CAN NOT criticize a coach for doing what every coach does in that situation.....save time for your offense. Pete gets absolutely roasted in here (and deservedly so) when he lets precious time fall off the clock, and now some of you want to bash him when he follows protocol? :roll:

This is seriously complete hindsight 20/20 vision. I understand being upset in the moment, but 24 hours later rational thoughts should be back in our brains and this inane argument should be finally put away. Pete was right, and if faced with a similar situation in the future, I expect him to play it exactly the same.