WHAT were they thinking, burning that last timeout?

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2k2yexwy said:
This is seriously complete hindsight 20/20 vision. I understand being upset in the moment, but 24 hours later rational thoughts should be back in our brains and this inane argument should be finally put away. Pete was right, and if faced with a similar situation in the future, I expect him to play it exactly the same.
Well, if you want to consider it 20/20 hindsight on my part, you go right ahead. Since I didn't have a webcam recording me watching the game in order to prove that I actually shouted the instant we used that timeout because it was idiocy in that situation...Be my guest.

mikeak

Reaction score
Roland - honest question - did you actually realize that 40 secs would come off the clock?

I only say that because I was PISSED. I Got on twitter and wrote all Seahawks journalists. I texted a buddy and I complained loudly about the idiot Pete Carroll. Why would you use the timeout. What an awful call.

Then I ran it back and I realized I made a mistake. I was thinking clock was stopped. Knowing 40 secs would have come off makes it a possibility to not call the timeout but as stated before I can’t ever recall seeing it by any coach EVER (in a similar situation).

So I got back on Twitter and deleted all the stupid stuff I said

So honest question - I believe you when you said you were pissed at the time, but did you truly and fully realize 40 secs was coming off? If you did - good for you. You would have been correct. Regardless I don’t see faulting Pete

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/1049367460384628737[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/1049365163801862149[/tweet]

Tical21

Reaction score
Again, that is a 100% timeout by every coach, at every level.
Pete couldn't possibly have even thought possible that McVay would go for it there, as in the NFL, I doubt any coach ever has, at least in decades. What McVay did was beyond reckless. You want him to be foolish enough to go for it there. Pete just happened to be going against a young, cocky coach who hasn't had something like this blow up on him yet. McVay will keep doing stuff like this until the first time that it doesn't work, then he'll never, ever do it again.

mikeak

Reaction score
Tical21":1zr1hteg said:
Pete couldn't possibly have even thought possible that McVay would go for it there, as in the NFL, I doubt any coach ever has, at least in decades. What McVay did was beyond reckless. You want him to be foolish enough to go for it there. Pete just happened to be going against a young, cocky coach who hasn't had something like this blow up on him yet. McVay will keep doing stuff like this until the first time that it doesn't work, then he'll never, ever do it again.

I recall Belicheck doing it against Indianapolis. Didn’t want Manning to get the ball again. As I recall they failed to convert and NE lost the game on a FG / TD. SNF / MNf game but I might remember incorrectly getting old these days :)

For a QB sneak though a lot of coaches goes for it, but I believe everyone of them still takes that timeout

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Goff just said they were going to punt at first on Primetime so we can put the whole Rams were going to go for it no matter what idea to rest.

getnasty

Reaction score
Tical21":24l5d6uy said:

This is correct

chris98251

Reaction score
getnasty":3f5e8s4b said:
Tical21":3f5e8s4b said:

This is correct

You guys are assuming a lot, if I am an away coach and am rushed I may punt because it is safe and I want them to go as far as possible, but if I see a measurement of about a foot with my line and the other coach hands me a time out to call a rush in a hostile stadium and I go with a QB sneak because all I need is a go count I do it.

I get the win most times. If I had Seattle's line from the last two years I punt no question.

Thanks Pete, was able to set up a play see the distance and take your fans and your QB who has a knack for moving the ball in the two minute drill as well as what could be one of the best long FG kickers in the game out of the equation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":36cm3trj said:
Sgt. Largent":36cm3trj said:
This take and anger makes ZERO sense to me.

Did you miss the fact that they took their offense off the field, we then called the timeout, and they put their offense back on the field? Think it through......

I did.

The Rams still had most of their offense on the field at the time they ran out their punt unit, because that's what good coaches do, they have all their units available to make the split second decision after the call, or in this case the measurement was made.

You're falsely assuming that the TO was the reason the Rams ran their offense back onto the field, and that's just not true.

Bottom line, time is FAR more valuable than playing some TO game of chicken with the other head coach that may or may not impact his decision.

Was that enough thinkin' for you?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
You call the timeout there regardless of if the Rams are punting or not.

Once you get down to those final minutes and you're down you want to call your timeouts for an obvious reason: whoever has the ball controls the pace of play.

If they're punting you use your timeout because you can get tAT MINIMUM two plays in the same amount of time that they'll bleed off on their one play (or more, factoring in incompletions and getting out of bounds).

If they're not punting it's the exact same equation, and if they get the first down it doesn't matter either way because they still have three downs to bleed the clock to zero.

Also, that play call by McVay was the correct call. It just feels reckless because NFL coaches treat 4th down through the lens of tradition rather than probability.

Long story short, Carroll calling a TO there increased the Seahawks' probability of winning, just as McVay going for it on 4th increased the Rams' probability of winning.

purpleneer

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":re0nnqeh said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/1049367460384628737[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/1049365163801862149[/tweet]
This tells me it was a procedural "mistake" by the officials and it pisses me off.

jeremiah

Reaction score
johnnyfever":1wm7b1n0 said:
The punt unit was out. 2 things were going to happen
1-fake punt (not high success rate, get the ball there)
2-punt (we get the ball with approx 1:06 but backed up.

Either of these we still have a time out. Maybe have the ball,aybe we don't, 50/50.

Option we took:
1-take the time out(now zero left). Gives a super aggressive coach time to realize he is super aggressive. Now they make six inches, and we can do nothing. Their OL has a huge size advantage. We maybe have at best a 20% chance of stopping those Giants.

These are the things they should know. Not playing armchair at all. As SOON as I saw Pete call a time out with the Rams punt team on the field, I lost my mind. You knew EXACTLY what mcvay would do, and he did it.

Calling a timeout with 1:39 left in itself is absolutely the right call, but in that situation it absolutely was not. Them punting or even a fake punt has by far the highest probability of you getting the ball again. AND--AND-- you still have your time out.

Pete calling that timeout was a lack of awareness of the actual situation and knowing your opponents tendencies, weaknesses and strengths.

That is why it was the wrong call.

Exactly, it was the wrong call. As soon as the punt team was on the field you let it happen. Save the Time out for after you get the ball. 1:10 on the clock and 1 timeout, with RW you want that.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ib6y0mz said:
You're falsely assuming that the TO was the reason the Rams ran their offense back onto the field, and that's just not true.

It is true though. Goff openly admitted as much. He said the offense marched on the field after the TO and he was as surprised as anybody else. They were going to punt initially.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3olyaqiz said:
Sgt. Largent":3olyaqiz said:

It is true though. Goff openly admitted as much. He said the offense marched on the field after the TO and he was as surprised as anybody else. They were going to punt initially.

Goff said he was surprised with the call after the TO, he didn't say the reason he was marched back out was BECAUSE of the TO.

Big difference.

This is a dumb argument anyway.

- why didn't we stop the Rams from getting a 1st down with three straight Gurley runs when we knew they had to run the ball?
- why couldn't Dickson kick the ball inside the 10 like he should have, which would have guaranteed McVay not going for it from his own 25 or 31, instead of his 41.
- why couldn't we get just one more first down once we passed the 50 with 4 minutes left, instead going backwards forcing a punt.

THIS is the call you think cost us the game, Pete doing something literally every other coach in the league does in that situation, save precious seconds for a final drive?

Damn man, we got some of the best hindsight armchair QB's in the league. We lost? Let's nitpick the TO!!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
All valid points sgt.

But what we all do know is if the time out was not called the Seahawks wouldve got the ball back.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1pkt14pu said:
pittpnthrs":1pkt14pu said:
Sgt. Largent":1pkt14pu said:

Goff said he was surprised with the call after the TO, he didn't say the reason he was marched back out was BECAUSE of the TO.

Big difference.

What does that even mean? He was surprised because they had made the decision to punt, in which they would have if they didnt have time to change their minds, and MCVay sent the offense back out after having time to reconsider. Without the TO called by Pete, they punt the ball, simple as that.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3dzwkj3g said:
Damn man, we got some of the best hindsight armchair QB's in the league. We lost? Let's nitpick the TO!!

It's only hindsight if the thought occurs after the fact. I can't speak for everyone here, but I can speak for myself, and this was no afterthought. I was upset when Pete called the timeout, but then became livid when the Rams decided to trot their offense out on the field after the timeout. I knew in that instance that the most likely outcome was a first down and the end of the game.

I'm no NFL head coach and will cede the fact that I am no expert, but in the moment I knew what I felt gave us the best chance to win and with their punt team on the field and no timeouts for the Rams, it was (and still is) my opinion that we shouldn't call the timeout there.

Who knows what would have happened. I mean if Pete doesn't call the timeout, maybe they punt it and we fumble and they recover or Wilson throws an INT or can't get us into field goal range, or maybe he does get us there and Janikowski misses. There is no guarantee that not calling the timeout changes the outcome, it's just one of many things that altered the course of the game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":22pq0q08 said:
All valid points sgt.

But what we all do know is if the time out was not called the Seahawks wouldve got the ball back.

Both of the Rams units were standing halfway onto the field while the measurements were being done. Therefore we don't know what McVay would have done if Pete let the ref start the clock as opposed to taking the TO.

That's standard procedure for any team, have all units close to the coach ready to go at a split second notice.

Only McVay knows. Not you, not me, not anyone else.

The point I and other are making is what Pete did is literally what EVERY other coach would do, conserve time not try to guess what the other coach is going to do. You and others seem to think it was a fact. Thus false pretense argument.

McVay knows, that's it.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":qxswrf3e said:
Uncle Si":qxswrf3e said:
All valid points sgt.

Both of the Rams units were standing halfway onto the field while the measurements were being done. Therefore we don't know what McVay would have done if Pete let the ref start the clock as opposed to taking the TO.

That's standard procedure for any team, have all units close to the coach ready to go at a split second notice.

Only McVay knows. Not you, not me, not anyone else.

The point I and other are making is what Pete did is literally what EVERY other coach would do, conserve time not try to guess what the other coach is going to do. You and others seem to think it was a fact. Thus false pretense argument.

McVay knows, that's it.

Disagree.
Uncle Si knows, and so do I. :snack:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
You contradict yourself a bit sgt. First assuming what PC did is what all coaches would do is also a false pretense argument.

And while the offense was lingering once the measurement was made the punt team was lining up. Thats what i saw.

Latest posts