What will PC do?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Fade":1bzxxsmp said:
Familiarity.

The Seahawks and Russ can go off against AFC opponents because they only see the Seahawks 1 time every 4 years. Indy, Tenn, & Hou. All AFC. Every NFC game has been a struggle on offense.

The scheme is just too rudimentary & predictable to be effective against NFC opponents at this point due to Familiarity. Too many plays are DOA as soon as the ball is snapped.
Psh, this is not limited to the NFC. Malcolm Butler said he KNEW what play we were running when he ended the Super Bowl with that pick before the snap.

There are probably high schools that run more complicated offenses than we do.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I agree with Fade's point. Pats are the best game planning team in the league so they are an exception, though Russ is 2-1 against them to be fair. The non niners NFC West teams know how to play our offense really well. Shoot, even the Niners basically shut us down at home besides a Russ magic TD. The Packers seemingly play us every year and they own our offense. Rod Marinelli had also had lots of success against us.

Then again we have had success against Carolina, whom we played every year with Russ except this regular season. Also TB and NO shut us down and we barely play them.

Fade

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ddezab3 said:
Fade":2ddezab3 said:
Familiarity.

The Seahawks and Russ can go off against AFC opponents because they only see the Seahawks 1 time every 4 years. Indy, Tenn, & Hou. All AFC. Every NFC game has been a struggle on offense.

The scheme is just too rudimentary & predictable to be effective against NFC opponents at this point due to Familiarity. Too many plays are DOA as soon as the ball is snapped.
Psh, this is not limited to the NFC. Malcolm Butler said he KNEW what play we were running when he ended the Super Bowl with that pick before the snap.

There are probably high schools that run more complicated offenses than we do.
Yes, very true. I'm just saying the Seahawks offense looks much better against AFC opponents than NFC opponents, and it is all mostly due to familiarity.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
adeltaY":1097vgeb said:
I agree with Fade's point. Pats are the best game planning team in the league so they are an exception, though Russ is 2-1 against them to be fair. The non niners NFC West teams know how to play our offense really well. Shoot, even the Niners basically shut us down at home besides a Russ magic TD. The Packers seemingly play us every year and they own our offense. Rod Marinelli had also had lots of success against us.

Then again we have had success against Carolina, whom we played every year with Russ except this regular season. Also TB and NO shut us down and we barely play them.

To be honest whenever we are running our standard offense pretty much everyone knows whats coming for the most part. Hence why Rw doing his magic thing at some point during a drive is how we move the ball and score. The exception to this is uptempo, because the plays are called at the line, changed at the line and defense does not have time to see the formation, and adjust as much. But as PC says we are going to line and up and do what we do. Hmm too bad what we do really does not work much anymore, if only we could do what works like HMMM oh run uptempo. So what will win the desire to win or being hard headed stay tuned we will in 1 week.

Smellyman

Reaction score
chris98251":2c7pgq6t said:
Siouxhawk":2c7pgq6t said:
chris98251":2c7pgq6t said:
Siouxhawk":2c7pgq6t said:
We'll stick with the spread as it's what our players have been trained to do.

That doesn't mean we won't see traces of the WCO at times. Offenses become homogenized over the years, with play designers borrowing here, borrowing there, that it incorporates may different versions.

It's interesting you want to go to the true WCO, but you want to give Russell more freedom to call the plays. Well, the great Bill Walsh, who some say specialized the WCO, scripted his first 25 plays. The idea there being that the team would practice those plays over and over to perfect them and would run them without hesitation to give the offense a huge advantage over the defense.

They scripted plays to get the defense to tell different looks so they could set them up to create mismatches, Holmgren did the same thing. Yet if memory serves the 49ers still score in the first three quarters and kept scoring as did the Holmgren Seahawks. It was 15 plays also for Holmgren, 25 plays is half a game for most teams. A long drive is typically 12 plays even if it's primarily running game. Your going to get some 10 and 20 yard chunks in there most times.

You don't have to stay on script either if what your doing straight up is working and your dominating, Holmgren used to say we don't care if you know it is coming, we will execute it and your not going to be able to stop it. Walsh had fine tuned things the same way, that's how well those offenses were run with great play callers and OC's.

Which brings us back to Bevell and what he doesn't do even with all the scripts he cannot find a way to run things efficiently.
We are essentially doing the same thing with our scripted plays -- figuring out what the opposing defense presents and setting them up to exploit them down the road.

We're 6-3 and are in the thick of the playoff race, so I'd say things are going pretty efficiently.

Umm no were not, we don't adjust, we don't figure out what works and run with it, we see something that works and go away from it.

It was great when the oline and Rawls starting tearing up the Washington D for half of a drive. Never to be heard from again.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Fade":3k4qbh0l said:
Familiarity.

They need a shake up, scheme wise. Both the passing and running game.

<snip>

What will Pete do? The definition of insanity.

Breaking news from Seahawks HQ: Bevell out, Chip Kelly hired as OC. Negotiations for Philly to release backup QB Foles are in process. Foles acquisition seen as key for tutoring Russell Wilson in the Chip Kelly offense.

Read about it here: https://twitter.com/FakePatroller (yes, my report re Chip Kelly is fake news.)

So, would Chip Kelly be an upgrade over Bevell at OC?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":p8lvlnon said:
Siouxhawk, Pete has not adjusted the offense to the Post-Lynch, shit tier OL reality of our personnel. He did for a bit at the end of 2015 but since then the offense has been inconsistent the past 1.5 seasons. We have great games like vs. CAR, at NE, and vs HOU, and awful games like vs. WAS, at TB, and at GB. The variance is too great
Yes, and they usually have plausible explainstions like penalties, terrible officiating and/or a developing offensive line. Get those things right and rev up the running game and we'll be cooking again. I never said there wouldn't be any tweaks to his core philosophy, just that I trust him to make the necesssary adjustments going forward. I'd expect them to be more subtle than overwhelming.

NJlargent

Reaction score
He better do something. We are currently heading for either a first round thumping or no playoffs at all. Good coaches adjust so let's see what happens and hope the right decisions are made based upon the results on the surface.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Offense will have to put up high scores. Next man up, no choice. With finger wag Shead coming back, and possibly signing Maxwell (who is good in THIS system, just not other places) they should be good. Obviously, losing Sherm is gonna' be a big loss, but you could say that about any team losing a top 5 corner. I'm sure I'm in the minority, and that's fine, but I think they can still do some damage. Why, because I choose to believe :2thumbs:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Please refrain from "attacking" posters and keep your comments to the topic.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":13vu7cii said:
adeltaY":13vu7cii said:
Siouxhawk, Pete has not adjusted the offense to the Post-Lynch, shit tier OL reality of our personnel. He did for a bit at the end of 2015 but since then the offense has been inconsistent the past 1.5 seasons. We have great games like vs. CAR, at NE, and vs HOU, and awful games like vs. WAS, at TB, and at GB. The variance is too great
Yes, and they usually have plausible explainstions like penalties, terrible officiating and/or a developing offensive line. Get those things right and rev up the running game and we'll be cooking again. I never said there wouldn't be any tweaks to his core philosophy, just that I trust him to make the necesssary adjustments going forward. I'd expect them to be more subtle than overwhelming.

You left out "not going strong to the ball"??

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAMoAAAAJDM5YzE5N2VhLWIzYzAtNDFmMC1hYmUzLTFhMTljMzZjZjI2Mw.jpg

hawxfreak

Reaction score
It's just really irritating when they get do something that works and go away from it in the rest of the game and you talk about it on a forum and somebody says NO THEY DIDN'T and everyone that's been watching the hawks for 40 years knows they did exactly that.
It's a reoccurring theme so I get why that gets people upset
That said , I think they need to to use uptempo or a quick passing game or were dead in the water.
If we were more creative than it wouldn't be a problem but it is so we have to do something as even the 9ers can shut down our offense

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":qjk0hd6p said:
I hope Pete realizes that with our injury situation, we are not winning the Super Bowl unless we shake things up and risk it all to gain it all - unleash the offense.

Pete, say it with me: YOLO!

Roland some would say you lack perspective thinking the Seahawks can't reach the Super Bowl at this point of the season EVEN WITH our current injury situation, although this doesn't include me, what say you? :lol: :roll: