What will PC do?

chris98251

Reaction score
Holmgren did script his first 15 but often never got beyond 5 before he started adjusting something our OC refuses to do

Why I said it was not hard and fast, if they seen what they needed they could and would start running plays till they stopped or adjusted which opened up other plays.

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":554y4egr said:
chris98251":554y4egr said:
Siouxhawk":554y4egr said:
We'll stick with the spread as it's what our players have been trained to do.

That doesn't mean we won't see traces of the WCO at times. Offenses become homogenized over the years, with play designers borrowing here, borrowing there, that it incorporates may different versions.

It's interesting you want to go to the true WCO, but you want to give Russell more freedom to call the plays. Well, the great Bill Walsh, who some say specialized the WCO, scripted his first 25 plays. The idea there being that the team would practice those plays over and over to perfect them and would run them without hesitation to give the offense a huge advantage over the defense.

They scripted plays to get the defense to tell different looks so they could set them up to create mismatches, Holmgren did the same thing. Yet if memory serves the 49ers still score in the first three quarters and kept scoring as did the Holmgren Seahawks. It was 15 plays also for Holmgren, 25 plays is half a game for most teams. A long drive is typically 12 plays even if it's primarily running game. Your going to get some 10 and 20 yard chunks in there most times.

You don't have to stay on script either if what your doing straight up is working and your dominating, Holmgren used to say we don't care if you know it is coming, we will execute it and your not going to be able to stop it. Walsh had fine tuned things the same way, that's how well those offenses were run with great play callers and OC's.

Which brings us back to Bevell and what he doesn't do even with all the scripts he cannot find a way to run things efficiently.
We are essentially doing the same thing with our scripted plays -- figuring out what the opposing defense presents and setting them up to exploit them down the road.

We're 6-3 and are in the thick of the playoff race, so I'd say things are going pretty efficiently.

Umm no were not, we don't adjust, we don't figure out what works and run with it, we see something that works and go away from it.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":1vdcvx5s said:
chris98251":1vdcvx5s said:
Siouxhawk":1vdcvx5s said:

That doesn't mean we won't see traces of the WCO at times. Offenses become homogenized over the years, with play designers borrowing here, borrowing there, that it incorporates may different versions.

It's interesting you want to go to the true WCO, but you want to give Russell more freedom to call the plays. Well, the great Bill Walsh, who some say specialized the WCO, scripted his first 25 plays. The idea there being that the team would practice those plays over and over to perfect them and would run them without hesitation to give the offense a huge advantage over the defense.

They scripted plays to get the defense to tell different looks so they could set them up to create mismatches, Holmgren did the same thing. Yet if memory serves the 49ers still score in the first three quarters and kept scoring as did the Holmgren Seahawks. It was 15 plays also for Holmgren, 25 plays is half a game for most teams. A long drive is typically 12 plays even if it's primarily running game. Your going to get some 10 and 20 yard chunks in there most times.

You don't have to stay on script either if what your doing straight up is working and your dominating, Holmgren used to say we don't care if you know it is coming, we will execute it and your not going to be able to stop it. Walsh had fine tuned things the same way, that's how well those offenses were run with great play callers and OC's.

Which brings us back to Bevell and what he doesn't do even with all the scripts he cannot find a way to run things efficiently.

Holmgren did script his first 15 but often never got beyond 5 before he started adjusting something our OC refuses to do
That doesn't even make sense. Why would he even script plays if he was going to stop at 5? The idea of scripting plays is to get a read on what the defense is presenting, while still endeavoring to work your offense down the field.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":29lm3wqu said:
chris98251":29lm3wqu said:
Siouxhawk":29lm3wqu said:

We are essentially doing the same thing with our scripted plays -- figuring out what the opposing defense presents and setting them up to exploit them down the road.

We're 6-3 and are in the thick of the playoff race, so I'd say things are going pretty efficiently.

except Holmgren rarely go to the 15 often he stopped around 5. FYI yes we are 6-3 and nearly every score we had come with RW having to do something out of the framework of the OC offense to make the drive work. We are not 6-3 because of our offensive game plan and calling but in spite of it. Both PC and the OC have said they count on RW doing his thing, well if they have to count on a QB doing something no other QB can do then that tells you their game plan is not good

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
chris98251":229ayd03 said:

Why I said it was not hard and fast, if they seen what they needed they could and would start running plays till they stopped or adjusted which opened up other plays.

Yeah but the person we are disagreeing with needs it spelled out :)

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3ij2q9cn said:
Siouxhawk":3ij2q9cn said:
chris98251":3ij2q9cn said:
Siouxhawk":3ij2q9cn said:

Umm no were not, we don't adjust, we don't figure out what works and run with it, we see something that works and go away from it.
That's hogwash. We adjust all the time and exploit opposing defenses. It's one of the reasons we finish out fourth quarters and win games the way we do.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3i1a3qi5 said:
Anthony!":3i1a3qi5 said:
chris98251":3i1a3qi5 said:
Siouxhawk":3i1a3qi5 said:

That doesn't even make sense. Why would he even script plays if he was going to stop at 5? The idea of scripting plays is to get a read on what the defense is presenting, while still endeavoring to work your offense down the field.

oh well that is easy he scripts 15 in case he needs more but often never does. I mean I guess in your work he should script 5 and if after 5 he still needs more just say oh well we forfeit because I was not prepared to run more scripted plays. He is prepared.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3fpevf9f said:
chris98251":3fpevf9f said:
Siouxhawk":3fpevf9f said:
chris98251":3fpevf9f said:

That's hogwash. We adjust all the time and exploit opposing defenses. It's one of the reasons we finish out fourth quarters and win games the way we do.

Oh my god I really hope you are not being dense just to be dense, we are talking about the scripted plays and when and if we adjust and once again most of our scoring comes from RW making something out of nothing during the drive. Also if you watch games we will be running the ball well and then stop, or passing the ball and then stop. We make adjustments but once we adjust and it works we don't stick with it. Point in case the offense that works best we only run it when we have to and as soon as we get a lead we go away from it. When you have something that works you stay with it till they stop it, and then adjust again, We don't do this, enough. Note MOST not all.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3o5j2tzk said:
Siouxhawk":3o5j2tzk said:
chris98251":3o5j2tzk said:
Siouxhawk":3o5j2tzk said:

Oh my god I really hope you are not being dense just to be dense, we are talking about the scripted plays and when and if we adjust and once again most of our scoring comes from RW making something out of nothing during the drive. Also if you watch games we will be running the ball well and then stop, or passing the ball and then stop. We make adjustments but once we adjust and it works we don't stick with it. Point in case the offense that works best we only run it when we have to and as soon as we get a lead we go away from it. When you have something that works you stay with it till they stop it, and then adjust again, We don't do this, enough. Note MOST not all.
First of all, it's erroneous to say that "most of our scoring" comes from Russ improvising. That is blatantly wrong and you know it. Sure he's done it often and it's usually a thing of beauty, but it still represents a smaller percentage of our scoring plays.

Second of all, we stick with things that work all the time. The back-to-back touchdown passes to Jimmy are examples of that. I'm shaking my head at how you think we abandon a successful running game. When has it been consistently successful this season? It hasn't. It's been a train wreck as our line stumbles around. We had a 3rd-and-1 against the Skins, gave it to Rawls, and he was stopped in his tracks for no yards. We punt. Yeah, we sure went away from it there. Goofy.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":284gsett said:
Anthony!":284gsett said:
Siouxhawk":284gsett said:
chris98251":284gsett said:

First of all, it's erroneous to say that "most of our scoring" comes from Russ improvising. That is blatantly wrong and you know it. Sure he's done it often and it's usually a thing of beauty, but it still represents a smaller percentage of our scoring plays.

Second of all, we stick with things that work all the time. The back-to-back touchdown passes to Jimmy are examples of that. I'm shaking my head at how you think we abandon a successful running game. When has it been consistently successful this season? It hasn't. It's been a train wreck as our line stumbles around. We had a 3rd-and-1 against the Skins, gave it to Rawls, and he was stopped in his tracks for no yards. We punt. Yeah, we sure went away from it there. Goofy.

Okay this is the last time, You keep misquoting me and think that means something. I said "most of our scoring comes from RW making something out of nothing during the drive." not "most of our scoring" comes from Russ improvising." SO your 1 is irrelevant, now on to your second thing, You have now picked 4 plays out of hundreds that you feel meet your criteria. Good for you to bad they are few and far between. For every one time you can say they did there are 5 or more were they did not. We have series where we actually made a few first downs in a row throwing it, and then what happens next 3 we run all 3. Then we will have a few good runs and then stop and pass. When it is working keep going to it until it stops. Nwo this might not be all on the OC this could be PC but it sure is someone

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I hope Pete realizes that with our injury situation, we are not winning the Super Bowl unless we shake things up and risk it all to gain it all - unleash the offense.

Pete, say it with me: YOLO!

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":6a3nm020 said:
I hope Pete realizes that with our injury situation, we are not winning the Super Bowl unless we shake things up and risk it all to gain it all - unleash the offense.

Pete, say it with me: YOLO!

would be nice

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Pete will do what he thinks gives us the best chance to win. Can't argue with that.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2kmik6ke said:
Siouxhawk":2kmik6ke said:
Pete will do what he thinks gives us the best chance to win. Can't argue with that.
That's literally a mindset you can justify ANYTHING with. :roll:
This is true. Pete has earned trust in all matters surrounding his football team. I'd bet he'll come up with the appropriate philosophy going forward to make the season as rewarding as possible.

cymatica

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":gl1n44kv said:
RolandDeschain":gl1n44kv said:
Siouxhawk":gl1n44kv said:
That's literally a mindset you can justify ANYTHING with. :roll:
This is true. Pete has earned trust in all matters surrounding his football team. I'd bet he'll come up with the appropriate philosophy going forward to make the season as rewarding as possible.

All matters?

*cough* oline *cough *cough* penalties

They have completely blown it on the oline and got desperate in the offseason just trying to find experience.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Siouxhawk, Pete has not adjusted the offense to the Post-Lynch, shit tier OL reality of our personnel. He did for a bit at the end of 2015 but since then the offense has been inconsistent the past 1.5 seasons. We have great games like vs. CAR, at NE, and vs HOU, and awful games like vs. WAS, at TB, and at GB. The variance is too great

Fade

Reaction score
Familiarity.

The Seahawks and Russ can go off against AFC opponents because they only see the Seahawks 1 time every 4 years. Indy, Tenn, & Hou. All AFC. Every NFC game has been a struggle on offense.

The scheme is just too rudimentary & predictable to be effective against NFC opponents at this point due to Familiarity. Too many plays are DOA as soon as the ball is snapped.

They need a shake up, scheme wise. Both the passing and running game.

When it comes to the runningbacks all they run is inside zone, outside zone, 90% of the time. Think about that. You're the opposing D, and if you take away those 2 runs. Your opponent won't be able to run the ball. What's a counter? What's a trap? What's a blast? What's a keeper? What's a fake the inside zone when the opponent is overplaying it, and check to a toss the other direction when in the gun? The Washington Huskies a college team have more variance in their run game than the Seahawks. It's sad honestly.

What will Pete do? The definition of insanity.